NYMC c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where can we find a good AC unit?

nymc flower said:
Yes, there's heating in all the NYMC dorms. But there's only 1 thermostat in your suite. Hopefully, you and your roommates will all agree on a comfortable temperature setting.

There is no A/C in the Dorms. You will have to buy an A/C unit for your individual room. Summers in NY are hot and humid.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so my parents decided to get me a car out there in Valhalla. So I'm going to be selling my car in California, and then buy a 200X CRV or a Rav4. Any body there have suggestions on where I can buy the car i.e. specifically a used dealership around there? Oh, and if you guys had a choice which car? Thanks (no craigslist because i dont have that lump sum of money and need to finance)

For AC units there are basically 3 options.

1.) Buy the one from the school that fits exasctly in the sleeve given to you. It's really oveprriced, somewhere around 400 bucks I believe

2.) Wait till you get here, and 2nd and 3rd yeasrs will start selling theirs for much cheaper, my roomate got his for 20 bucks (some exactly fit the sleeve, some dont).

3.) Go to walmart/target that kind of store and buy one. I got mine for about $80 bucks and then went to home depot and bought insulation to stuff it for another 10 bucks. My advice would be to buy it in from one of these places with insulation and then put it in your room asap. It gets real hot in valhalla during your guys orientation

JulioFly said:
Where can we find a good AC unit?

Members don't see this ad :)
SuferMD said:
Hey, so my parents decided to get me a car out there in Valhalla. So I'm going to be selling my car in California, and then buy a 200X CRV or a Rav4. Any body there have suggestions on where I can buy the car i.e. specifically a used dealership around there? Oh, and if you guys had a choice which car? Thanks (no craigslist because i dont have that lump sum of money and need to finance)

Westchester Toyota is in Yonkers (probably 12 miles from school) and they are pretty good. I don't know about Honda dealerships, although there is one in Yonkers as well. They are going to have tons of trade-ins, since the new model years are coming out, and you might be able to get one with an extended warranty.

I don't know if you are leaning towards an SUV because you will be in the North, but honestly if you are living on campus it's probably not necessary and will just cost you extra in gas these days. I live off campus and have a non-4WD vehicle and it's more than adequate since the plowing is really thorough in this area.

ms1finally said:
Westchester Toyota is in Yonkers (probably 12 miles from school) and they are pretty good. I don't know about Honda dealerships, although there is one in Yonkers as well. They are going to have tons of trade-ins, since the new model years are coming out, and you might be able to get one with an extended warranty.

I don't know if you are leaning towards an SUV because you will be in the North, but honestly if you are living on campus it's probably not necessary and will just cost you extra in gas these days. I live off campus and have a non-4WD vehicle and it's more than adequate since the plowing is really thorough in this area.

I am not expert on shipping cars; however, here're other things that you have to also consider...

1. shipping a car from Ca is about 700-900 bucks.
2. insurance in new york, is probably, ummmm much more expensive than Ca.... since it's so close to the city... if your insurance is cheaper in Cali....(moral: please compare all yours costs before buying a car)
3. NY driving is really not as bad as most of your Cali people think. Most of the time you will NOT be driving in a snow storm, even if you do, most of the time it will be cleaned. lastly, NO and NO! you dont need chains to drive in snow, whoever told you that you do.... you crazy Californians...

good luck....

JulioFly said:
OK So i read the tentative itinerary for orientation week, and am pretty excited about all this eating and drinking. I also noticed that we are taking a night cruise around manhattan one night...um, does that mean I have to wear a dress/skirt of somesort?

Orientation Week is a blast and a great introduction mixer to your new classmates. You are correct in saying that the whole week is full of partying, eating, and drinking. There will be literally kegs of alcohol galore FREE to new incoming students (paid for by NYMC).

The cruise was my favorite event. I recommend wearing a nice summer dress (not too casual, not too formal) for the cruise. NY is hot and humid in the summertime. Plus there will be plenty of dancing on the cruise. Have fun! :thumbup:

nymcstudent said:
I am not expert on shipping cars; however, here're other things that you have to also consider...

1. shipping a car from Ca is about 700-900 bucks.
2. insurance in new york, is probably, ummmm much more expensive than Ca.... since it's so close to the city... if your insurance is cheaper in Cali....(moral: please compare all yours costs before buying a car)
3. NY driving is really not as bad as most of your Cali people think. Most of the time you will NOT be driving in a snow storm, even if you do, most of the time it will be cleaned. lastly, NO and NO! you dont need chains to drive in snow, whoever told you that you do.... you crazy Californians...

good luck....

I don't know about 1.

Experience has taught me that 2 is actually not true any more. Valhalla has AMAZINGLY low auto insurance rates because it's such a sleepy little town. A friend told me her auto insurance in Valhalla was much cheaper than Cali. I moved from suburban NC to NY and when I thought I'd be living on campus (I don't) I called my insurer for rates. They would have gone up only $10/month to move from NC to Valhalla - very affordable. Living off campus is a different story, though.

I wholeheartedly agree with #3

As far as orientation, it was a lot of fun. I think dress for the cruise may have changed since nymc_flower was a student. Most girls in my class wore semi-formal dresses (many of us defaulted to our "little black dresses" which worked out fine).

I just talked to Candy in the housing office to see if she had received my application. She said that we should be hearing sometime early next week from them...just thought I'd share

What's amazing to me is the Living Expenses on my bill. $17,000! WTH costs $17 K if we're not on meal plans?

Anyone know why we have the White Coat Ceremony in October?

LJDHC05 said:
Anyone know why we have the White Coat Ceremony in October?

i am not sure what is the real question. why in october? or why have a white coat ceremony?

in oct. perhaps, by then you actually get into the swing of things, and it wont be a huge deal, ie, taking time from adjusting. also your parents are invited to see you then too. it's going to be half way through your 1st block, by then you get to know valhalla and surrounding better.

white coat ceremony? so you parents get to see their precious in a white coat. also you'll be seeing patient soon, gives you a sense of what a white coat means...

17 K is like $1400 a month for a full year in an apartment. Multiply that by 3 and that's $4200 a month for a subpar apartment. Can anyone explain to me why they charge so much for living expenses?

Maldini said:
17 K is like $1400 a month for a full year in an apartment. Multiply that by 3 and that's $4200 a month for a subpar apartment. Can anyone explain to me why they charge so much for living expenses?

The student housing costs includes utilities (electricity, water, etc). However, you do have to pay for phone charges (land line).

Yes, it's still expensive. But NYMC is a private school and there is a high cost of living in Westchester County...so what did you expect? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
nymcstudent said:
i am not sure what is the real question. why in october? or why have a white coat ceremony?

in oct. perhaps, by then you actually get into the swing of things, and it wont be a huge deal, ie, taking time from adjusting. also your parents are invited to see you then too. it's going to be half way through your 1st block, by then you get to know valhalla and surrounding better.

white coat ceremony? so you parents get to see their precious in a white coat. also you'll be seeing patient soon, gives you a sense of what a white coat means...
I meant the first...but thanks for the second anyway :laugh:

i am SO ready for KEGS of FREE ALCOHOL. I am getting my liver nice and ready...we do have two after all.

Maldini said:

Since rent on campus ranges from 500-1000/month or so (the upper amount is for a 2 bedroom for married couples), maybe the figure you are looking at includes ALL living expenses, such as food, transportation, etc. Actually, if it does that sounds just about right with the on campus budget last year. Don't forget - you've gotta eat, get yourself around, buy clothes (and you will need professional clothes occasionally in the first two years), buy books (ugh, I spent WAY TOO MUCH on those this year!) and other stuff.

ms1finally said:
Since rent on campus ranges from 500-1000/month or so (the upper amount is for a 2 bedroom for married couples), maybe the figure you are looking at includes ALL living expenses, such as food, transportation, etc. Actually, if it does that sounds just about right with the on campus budget last year. Don't forget - you've gotta eat, get yourself around, buy clothes (and you will need professional clothes occasionally in the first two years), buy books (ugh, I spent WAY TOO MUCH on those this year!) and other stuff.

They give you money in your loan for food? Heh, I didn't know that. I wonder if there's a way to opt out of that.

nymc flower said:
The student housing costs includes utilities (electricity, water, etc). However, you do have to pay for phone charges (land line).

Yes, it's still expensive. But NYMC is a private school and there is a high cost of living in Westchester County...so what did you expect? :laugh:

500 to 1000, so lets say the average is $750. And we're paying around $1400 a month for a 4 person apartment through our loans. That's $650 per person that needs to go towards electricity, water and phone charges. The last time I checked $2600 is a lot more than these things would cost :)

I understand that medical school is expensive, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to jump into unnecessary debt :D

JulioFly said:
i am SO ready for KEGS of FREE ALCOHOL. I am getting my liver nice and ready...we do have two after all.

You mean your kidney?

I think what he meant was 750-1000 goes towards rent, utilities, etc.... Use the rest for food, books, travel, clothes. All of your living expenses are not going back to the University. That is why all of those vendors will be coming to try to sell us stuff at orientation. :)

just so all of you know, you dont have to take out the whole loan... they tell you how much you're allow to take out, but that doesnt mean you have to take out the amount they tell you. it's a budget... so if you think you can survive on roman noodles, then obviously you dont need 400 bucks a month for food...

i'm not sure if i'm addressing the right confusing, but i feel that some of you may not get the idea of how this budget/award works....

37K is going towards your tuition, the rest is your spending money, etc, etc.

nymcstudent said:
just so all of you know, you dont have to take out the whole loan... they tell you how much you're allow to take out, but that doesnt mean you have to take out the amount they tell you. it's a budget... so if you think you can survive on roman noodles, then obviously you dont need 400 bucks a month for food...

i'm not sure if i'm addressing the right confusing, but i feel that some of you may not get the idea of how this budget/award works....

37K is going towards your tuition, the rest is your spending money, etc, etc.

Here's the budget they've created for*us on campus:
Tuition.......................38,500
Fees..............................736
Telecommunication Fee.....300
Health Insurance...........2,300
Dental Plan (Optional).......126
Books and Supplies........1,926
Food...........................3,746
Housing (11 months)..... 7,746
Transportation..............1,400
Miscellaneous...............3,024
Total.........................59,804

and the obligatory pie chart:

pie.jpg

They take out everything between tuition and dental in addition to on campus housing and automatically and give you the rest. The food breaks down to like $340/month or a little over 10 bucks a day, misc is for things like car insurance/cell phone/fun/clothes. Hope that helps to clarify...

LJDHC05 said:
Here's the budget they've created for*us on campus:
Tuition.......................38,500
Fees..............................736
Telecommunication Fee.....300
Health Insurance...........2,300
Dental Plan (Optional).......126
Books and Supplies........1,926
Food...........................3,746
Housing (11 months)..... 7,746
Transportation..............1,400
Miscellaneous...............3,024
Total.........................59,804

and the obligatory pie chart:

pie.jpg

They take out everything between tuition and dental in addition to on campus housing and automatically and give you the rest. The food breaks down to like $340/month or a little over 10 bucks a day, misc is for things like car insurance/cell phone/fun/clothes. Hope that helps to clarify...

is the telecommunications fee obligatory?
what is this? just an on campus phone?
can we waive it or not get it?

JulioFly said:

NOTHING is obligatory.
it's a budget.... you dont have to take out ANY money if you dont need it.

they gave you almost 2000 for books and school supplies... if you dont buy any books, you wont need any money.........

I was reading a lot of buzz about how useful tablets are for lecture in med school. It was actually the first I'd heard about it and they are pretty expensive. I was wondering if a lot of students at nymc are using them these days...???

I'm not quite sure how the whole book situation works in med school. Will they tell us what texts they recommend us getting? Will there be places to buy these books used? should we start looking into getting stuff NOW when we can get it on amazon?

I hope i'm not behind in the game.

JulioFly said:

The telecomm. fee is obligatory. I have a friend who tried to get out of it and they wouldn't let her. But it covers a phone (that no one uses these days) and cable (the cable is actually pretty good). When you break it down it comes to $30/month, which really isn't bad.

ms1finally said:
The telecomm. fee is obligatory. I have a friend who tried to get out of it and they wouldn't let her. But it covers a phone (that no one uses these days) and cable (the cable is actually pretty good). When you break it down it comes to $30/month, which really isn't bad.

cable in every room?

I found out today from student housing that I was able to get into a 2 bedroom in the "married" student housing as opposed to the dorms. YES. I'm stoked because i'll have more personal space.

If anyone who reads this (current med students and/or residents) is looking to sell any of their furniture, please pm me because i'm looking!

thanks!

JulioFly said:
I found out today from student housing that I was able to get into a 2 bedroom in the "married" student housing as opposed to the dorms. YES. I'm stoked because i'll have more personal space.

If anyone who reads this (current med students and/or residents) is looking to sell any of their furniture, please pm me because i'm looking!

thanks!

Did you receive your housing info in the mail or did you call them? I'm also hoping to get into one of the 2 bedroom apartments. I don't want to have to put all of my furniture in storage for at least the next year! :)

Caligirl98 said:
Did you receive your housing info in the mail or did you call them? I'm also hoping to get into one of the 2 bedroom apartments. I don't want to have to put all of my furniture in storage for at least the next year! :)

i called the housing office today and the lady said they are mailing the housing info on wednesday

i had called to find out, just what type of apt i got.

anyone have recommendations for which dentist to pick? they had several names on the insurance form.

JulioFly said:
I'm not quite sure how the whole book situation works in med school. Will they tell us what texts they recommend us getting? Will there be places to buy these books used? should we start looking into getting stuff NOW when we can get it on amazon?

There is a recommended list. I hardly bought any of these. I used BRS for most of the preclinical years. There are used books in the bookstore, but the MSII will be pawning off their supply- lots of postings when you get on campus.

Hey guys,
I'm arriving in NY on the 29th at 9pm at MACARTHUR air port. Can anybody help me on directions on getting to NYMC via transit? *shrugs*

I'll be the guy that comes into the suites at 1 in the morning carrying my luggage :laugh:

SuferMD said:
Hey guys,
I'm arriving in NY on the 29th at 9pm at MACARTHUR air port. Can anybody help me on directions on getting to NYMC via transit? *shrugs*

I'll be the guy that comes into the suites at 1 in the morning carrying my luggage :laugh:

follow direction to get to nyc
find you way to grand central
take train to white plains
get a taxi for westchester medical center. or old farm road if they know what it is.....

that would be my suggestion... i hope you didnt bring much with ya.

Hey,

Did anyone get their housing information in the mail yet?

It should be coming in the mail this coming week. But you could always just call the school to find out what kind of housing you got.

thewick84 said:
Hey,

Did anyone get their housing information in the mail yet?

My packet came in on saturday...Grasslands 1207. Stop by, I'll be sure have cold beer in the fridge as of noon on Saturday 7/28.

JulioFly said:

You will get lists of books that are both required and recommended from your course directors. Additionally, there are a ton of extra books and review books that you could get if you so chose. It's a bit overwhelming initially to try and sort through all the potential study materials at your disposal, but two principles that should guide you are:
1. Don't buy more material than you have time to get through or you will just waste your money
2. Buy books that you think will help you learn. Feel free to refrain from buying a text book or a "required text" if you think it will do you no good or if you think that another book will teach you the material better.

There will be plenty of people selling used books if that's what you want to do.

LJDHC05 said:
My packet came in on saturday...Grasslands 1207. Stop by, I'll be sure have cold beer in the fridge as of noon on Saturday 7/28.

I got my apt today too. I didn't see the whole thing since it went to my parent's house. Are the housing assignments set in stone or can we still bail if we don't like what we got? Is it too late to go off campus?

Coquillage said:
I got my apt today too. I didn't see the whole thing since it went to my parent's house. Are the housing assignments set in stone or can we still bail if we don't like what we got? Is it too late to go off campus?

The information from housing said that you could file a request for a change, although I don't think there are any guarantees.

As for moving off campus and cancelling, it says that you'll lose your $200 deposit as long as you cancel before the start date on the housing agreement. There is nothing regarding the dates after.

You can cancel the housing and get your money back, there's a whole waiting list of people who didn't get on-campus cause they sent their things in late (like me cause I wanted to look for off-campus until the last possible minute, guess I missed it)

Its cool tho I was all about off-campus but I couldnt find any roommates, now we have a list of people who didn't get on-campus and we're apt hunting together

Yes, please remove yourself from the list if you've got an apartment as soon as possible!... I too am on the waitlist but will likely get on campus housing since I'm high on the list.

I will be trying to help those who don't live in NYC though... FenderHM... I'm sure I'm one of the people talking to you. Good luck.

Question regarding immunization records - do they want a titer from the MMR vaccine or do they only need the titers if you've had the vaccinations seperately? I just went for my physical and didn't get titered since I had the MMR.

(begin sarcasm) I love that my Hep B titer came back negative so I get to go through the series again. (end sarcasm)

randhail said:
Question regarding immunization records - do they want a titer from the MMR vaccine or do they only need the titers if you've had the vaccinations seperately? I just went for my physical and didn't get titered since I had the MMR.

(begin sarcasm) I love that my Hep B titer came back negative so I get to go through the series again. (end sarcasm)

I had the MMR vaccine and got all the titers for them.

Kix said:
I had the MMR vaccine and got all the titers for them.

I think you need the titers too. Double check with them, might save you some $