NYMC c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You definately need titers. I called and they said that titers are needed for third year away rotations. They said it's easier to get it taken cared of now than when school has started.

My Hep B titers were also negative.

Members don't see this ad.

LewisLab said:
You definately need titers. I called and they said that titers are needed for third year away rotations. They said it's easier to get it taken cared of now than when school has started.

My Hep B titers were also negative.

titer drama!!

my varicella titer read "suceptable" bul**** cus i def had chicken pox...had to get the vaccine... :mad:

anyhow...my housing info went to my permanent address and it prob mentioned this, but anyone know if we are allowed bbq's on the balcony of the suite style apts?? that would be pretty nice.

:( no.. the blue packet said no bbqs on the balcony.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kix said:
:( no.. the blue packet said no bbqs on the balcony.
I was none too happy to find that out. Hopefully they won't give me crap for sitting in a lawn chair and drinking beer on the balcony

about ddoing stuff on the balcony. You're not supposed to bbq, but my suite had a balcony thast faced the back, not the front, so we bbq'd many times and nothing happened. If you plan to do this id inform the people above you so they dont think a fire is going on. With drinking on the balcony, its chill. We'd drink gin and tonics and smoke cigars off our balcony after every exam. They dont care, as long as you stay in control, since everyone is 21.

LJDHC05 said:
I was none too happy to find that out. Hopefully they won't give me crap for sitting in a lawn chair and drinking beer on the balcony

alright I'm officially going to bail on my campus house, so if anyone is looking for housing off-campus please PM me. Only issue is that I have a ld bf (as in 3000 miles away ld) who will be there the first week and will probably visit on occasion so hopefully someone who is cool with this or also has a ld bf and understands!!!

Has anyone found the weekly schedule for the class of 2010 online anywhere?

So I got this piece of mail yesterday telling me that, by the way, they will need 400 for a microscope rental fee. wtf? while you're hitting me up for 40k why not just add the microscope rental fee too? Now I have to go and stand in line to get a scope and may end up having to pay double from some private rental company? that's pretty low.

Anyone heard of this elsewhere?

Furious A said:
So I got this piece of mail yesterday telling me that, by the way, they will need 400 for a microscope rental fee. wtf? while you're hitting me up for 40k why not just add the microscope rental fee too? Now I have to go and stand in line to get a scope and may end up having to pay double from some private rental company? that's pretty low.

Anyone heard of this elsewhere?

The big sib they set me up with said not to rent the school microscope. She said we don't need it right away anyways and some upperclassmen will have used ones too to sell for cheap. also microscopes.com sells them.

Coquillage said:
The big sib they set me up with said not to rent the school microscope. She said we don't need it right away anyways and some upperclassmen will have used ones too to sell for cheap. also microscopes.com sells them.

when did your big sib contact you? I still haven't heard from my big sib the school set me up with...altho I got an email 2wks ago from the school saying the big sib should be contacting me in next few days to wks. I also havent received that mail telling me to rent the school microcope. when did that get sent out? Has anyone received their bill for the on-campus housing yet? sorry too many questions -_-;

The school seems to be trying to suck as dry - we had to pay for the credit report, $400 for a microscope, etc. It'd would've been nice if they included this stuff with the tuition.

Also, in the orientation email I received today, it mentioned having somewhere between $500 and $1000 for incedental start up costs - any clue as to what that means?

While I'm griping my MMR titer didn't come back positive to go along with my negative Hep B titer. I'm going to kick my immune system's ass! :p

ckim83 said:
when did your big sib contact you? I still haven't heard from my big sib the school set me up with...altho I got an email 2wks ago from the school saying the big sib should be contacting me in next few days to wks. I also havent received that mail telling me to rent the school microcope. when did that get sent out? Has anyone received their bill for the on-campus housing yet? sorry too many questions -_-;

Big sib contacted me last week, but also said 2nd years aren't back until Aug 14th. The microscope info was mailed. Speaking of mail, NYMC for the entire last year has sent everything to my permanent address (which has been a pain being that it's 2000 miles away) and just 2 weeks ago started sending me stuff (including my bills) to my non-permanent address that I'm moving out of tomorrow. Can someone explain this reasoning...

Yeah I saw the $500-$1000 thing too Randhail. What is up with that? Can they not use the $1 million they made off of application fees to pay for a couple of drinks. $75 for the dinner cruise...not too happy about that.

randhail said:
The school seems to be trying to suck as dry - we had to pay for the credit report, $400 for a microscope, etc. It'd would've been nice if they included this stuff with the tuition.

Also, in the orientation email I received today, it mentioned having somewhere between $500 and $1000 for incedental start up costs - any clue as to what that means?

While I'm griping my MMR titer didn't come back positive to go along with my negative Hep B titer. I'm going to kick my immune system's ass! :p

I heard the book store is charging $500 for a boot to the ass...the $1000 figure is for those who want two. I heard one of the upper classmen offered to do it for half price.

Members don't see this ad :)
SuferMD said:
Hey guys,
I'm arriving in NY on the 29th at 9pm at MACARTHUR air port. Can anybody help me on directions on getting to NYMC via transit? *shrugs*

I'll be the guy that comes into the suites at 1 in the morning carrying my luggage :laugh:

Ouch. All the way out in Long Island? The cheapest option is taking the LIRR to Penn Station, subbing it to Grand Central, Metro North to White Plains, cabbing it to NYMC, probably cost you somewhere around $25-$30. It'll be a big pain in the ass especially if you got more than just a carryon, plus it'll probably take you a good 3 hours to get here. :laugh:

Best bet would be to see if anyone else here is coming in to macarthur when you are, and sharing a cab with them. A cab by yourself would cost at least a hundred dollars.

LJDHC05 said:
I heard the book store is charging $500 for a boot to the ass...the $1000 figure is for those who want two. I heard one of the upper classmen offered to do it for half price.

I am offerring kicks to the arse FREE with the purchase of either my extra long twin firm mattress or my AC, $200 for each which is a bargain considering you are getting a $500 boot the arse FREE with your purchase. :)

Coquillage said:
Big sib contacted me last week, but also said 2nd years aren't back until Aug 14th.

Yes, do NOT rent your scope from the school vendor. You will not be buying your scope from a 2nd year, who will still be needing it, but from a 3rd or a 4th year who is ALREADY on campus eagerly waiting to prey on wet behind the ears young blood like yourself. :)

hey, quick question about the $21,000 billing statement that the bursar sent. if you took out a loan, do you still have to do anything? cuz i don't know where i'm gonna come up w/ that money.

Kix said:
hey, quick question about the $21,000 billing statement that the bursar sent. if you took out a loan, do you still have to do anything? cuz i don't know where i'm gonna come up w/ that money.

If you took out the full amount of the loans (stafford, unsubsidized, private, and/or institutional), not only do you NOT have to do anything, you'll have a nice fat check waiting for you at the bursar's office! Can I get a wo0t wo0t!!?

bonovox said:
If you took out the full amount of the loans (stafford, unsubsidized, private, and/or institutional), not only do you NOT have to do anything, you'll have a nice fat check waiting for you at the bursar's office! Can I get a wo0t wo0t!!?

haha. thanks! do you by chance know what the interest rate is for the private T.H.E. private loan? I couldn't find that information on the nymc website anywhere.

Kix said:
haha. thanks! do you by chance know what the interest rate is for the private T.H.E. private loan? I couldn't find that information on the nymc website anywhere.

The private loan interest is variable and currently is 7.87% from July 1 2006 to the end of September 2006 (3 month periods). It is the LIBOR rate + 2.75% . You can find out more from our lender at their web site: http://www.northstar.org/Med/default.aspx .

The Stafford loans are fixed at 6.8% for loans taken out this year. For the subsidized Staffords, of course, interest does not accumulate while you're in school.

Coquillage said:
Big sib contacted me last week, but also said 2nd years aren't back until Aug 14th. The microscope info was mailed. Speaking of mail, NYMC for the entire last year has sent everything to my permanent address (which has been a pain being that it's 2000 miles away) and just 2 weeks ago started sending me stuff (including my bills) to my non-permanent address that I'm moving out of tomorrow. Can someone explain this reasoning...

Yeah I saw the $500-$1000 thing too Randhail. What is up with that? Can they not use the $1 million they made off of application fees to pay for a couple of drinks. $75 for the dinner cruise...not too happy about that.

Thanks Coquillage....I had NO IDEA the school started sending info mails to the non-permanent address, which I have moved out of. :mad: I thought the school said they send everything to the permanent address so I didn't worry about changing the non-permanent address on AMCAS. So I called the school today and they were saying the non-permanent address they have on file is the only address they have on me..what the...so then I just went to AMCAS and changed the current address to permanent address. What a pain. Can anyone tell me what info mail you guys received to the non-permanent address other than the microscope info mail?

was anyone else "awarded" the Parent Council Microscope for $300 (you get 100 back when you return it, so i guess its $200). i got this email about it today...doesnt seem like much of an "award" ? Is this the same deal as the normal one they want us to get?

guys and gals ... take a second to join the yahoo group NYMC2K10 ...

it worked this year for our Masters program as a way to communicate easily with the entire class. You can make it so you receive an email when someone posts to the board ...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYMC2K10
[email protected]

I'm flying in on the 30th so I'll be missing Sat and Sunday orientation events. However, I hope to meet you all on monday the 31st.

-Jonathan Khersonsky

bonovox said:
Yes, do NOT rent your scope from the school vendor. You will not be buying your scope from a 2nd year, who will still be needing it, but from a 3rd or a 4th year who is ALREADY on campus eagerly waiting to prey on wet behind the ears young blood like yourself. :)

bono,
stop driving my business away!
you all are more than welcome to buy my scope for the low low price of 600... and you can just sell it when you're done with it in two years for the same low price!

jkherson said:
guys and gals ... take a second to join the yahoo group NYMC2K10 ...

it worked this year for our Masters program as a way to communicate easily with the entire class. You can make it so you receive an email when someone posts to the board ...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYMC2K10
[email protected]

I'm flying in on the 30th so I'll be missing Sat and Sunday orientation events. However, I hope to meet you all on monday the 31st.

-Jonathan Khersonsky

there is a master listserve set up by school...
grp_2010 in your outlook when you get your account

dwight_schrute said:
was anyone else "awarded" the Parent Council Microscope for $300 (you get 100 back when you return it, so i guess its $200). i got this email about it today...doesnt seem like much of an "award" ? Is this the same deal as the normal one they want us to get?
The mailing that they sent about scope rentals said that the limited, non-parent's coucil price is 400 for 2 years of rental with no refund. The parent's council award is half that price if you don't destroy the scope...:)

Coquillage said:

Yeah, they were sending everything to my permanent address until I officially changed it with AMCAS. I called the admissions office who told me that there was no way they would change the address they used for communication unless the AMCAS permanent address was changed.

"we do things different here"--my favorite admissions office refrain. Yeah, everybody wants to be different like everyone else.

I got an email from my big sib, he wont be back till Aug 20th..... :confused:

Anyways, all these different fees and $$$ that needs to come out of my pocket is a bit overwhelming... sucks that they cant give us any breaks... :rolleyes:

Hey, can anyone provide a schedule of the first block for the first year?

SuferMD said:
I got an email from my big sib, he wont be back till Aug 20th..... :confused:

Anyways, all these different fees and $$$ that needs to come out of my pocket is a bit overwhelming... sucks that they cant give us any breaks... :rolleyes:

Hey, can anyone provide a schedule of the first block for the first year?
Like bono said, you'll have a nice fat loan check sitting in the bursar's office when you get there to help you out.

LJDHC05 said:
Like bono said, you'll have a nice fat loan check sitting in the bursar's office when you get there to help you out.

They are back the 20 or so. They start right when we finish our first exams. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but we have 2 exams 2 wks after classes start. Also, for air conditioners, I bought one today for 90 dollars. It was 5200 btu (compared to 6000 the school offers) I guess most students manage to fit it into the hole in the wall without a prob, and this will save a couple hundo bucks, so consider it. See yall soon.

bbam44 said:
They are back the 20 or so. They start right when we finish our first exams. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but we have 2 exams 2 wks after classes start. Also, for air conditioners, I bought one today for 90 dollars. It was 5200 btu (compared to 6000 the school offers) I guess most students manage to fit it into the hole in the wall without a prob, and this will save a couple hundo bucks, so consider it. See yall soon.

Where did you get this AC unit??

When do the dinner cruise tickets go on sale?

nymcstudent said:
bono,
stop driving my business away!
you all are more than welcome to buy my scope for the low low price of 600... and you can just sell it when you're done with it in two years for the same low price!

:laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

JulioFly said:
Where did you get this AC unit??

You can find them easily at a home depot. I know they have some at Target and would imagine Walmart has them for fairly cheap. Boat cruise tickets go on sale during the bbq on sunday night i believe.

Just so you guys know, the orientation staff will also be discussing where you can get scopes, online (ones that are acceptable to be used during histo) for about half the price. Origianlly I rented the scope out for whatever ripoff price they charged, but my roomate BOUGHT his for 250. So if you're nervous about dropping alot for the rental scope, wait till orientation and we'll give you some options about where you can purchase one for cheaper thanthe school.

bbam44 said:
You can find them easily at a home depot. I know they have some at Target and would imagine Walmart has them for fairly cheap. Boat cruise tickets go on sale during the bbq on sunday night i believe.

I have a question....

I am a first year, and I will be living off campus. Aside from the BBQ on Sunday evening, do I need to attend any part of the check in weekend? Thanks so much

Has the fact that we're starting medical school in under two weeks not sunk in with anybody else? I've been unemployed for a week now (and loving it), packed up most of my crap, but still does't feel like a major change in my life is happening. Not sure if that's such a good thing!

randhail said:
Has the fact that we're starting medical school in under two weeks not sunk in with anybody else? I've been unemployed for a week now (and loving it), packed up most of my crap, but still does't feel like a major change in my life is happening. Not sure if that's such a good thing!
It hasnt hit me yet either...

it just started hitting me this week...im gettin pretty excited...kinda nervous about getting back into the swing. ive been done with work for a couple weeks, and have been lovin it also. hopefully we'll find a way to have some fun once in a while... i've been living in nyc for a while now, and there is a ton to do here. cant really go wrong with the location of our school, far enough away to be a nice area, but close enough to the city to get there quick. anyways, see you all in a few days....

NYMC MD 2B said:
I have a question....

I am a first year, and I will be living off campus. Aside from the BBQ on Sunday evening, do I need to attend any part of the check in weekend? Thanks so much

you dont have to do anything that you dont want.
you dont even need to go to orientation, if you dont want... you might miss a lot of info, but you dont NEED to attend anything. but getting to know some of your classmates maybe helpful.....

nymcstudent said:
you dont have to do anything that you dont want.
you dont even need to go to orientation, if you dont want... you might miss a lot of info, but you dont NEED to attend anything. but getting to know some of your classmates maybe helpful.....

You misunderstood me. I am totally excited about orientation and meeting my classmates!!! I was just asking if there was any reason for me to attend the housing check in since I will not be living on campus. I think if I showed up on Saturday, I would just get in the way of all the people trying to move in. I don't know if you meant to have a sarcastic tone in your response or not, but it kind of hurt my feelings. You are one of my future classmates, and I hope we can be friends.

I'm living off-campus and don't plan on checking in. I'll definitely be at the BBQ though. Afterall, the school went to the trouble of planning a birthday party for me and it would be rude of me to not show :p

randhail said:
I'm living off-campus and don't plan on checking in. I'll definitely be at the BBQ though. Afterall, the school went to the trouble of planning a birthday party for me and it would be rude of me to not show :p

Happy B-day!!! See ya there!!!

randhail said:
Not to one-up you Randy, but they're throwing a manhattan dinner cruise for my birthday :thumbup:

LJDHC05 said:
Not to one-up you Randy, but they're throwing a manhattan dinner cruise for my birthday :thumbup:

Wow, they like you more than the like me :mad: :p

Either way, they realize how awesome the people from Massachusetts are :laugh:

Guess what I get for my birthday??!!!!

AN EXAM
+pity+

NYMC MD 2B said:
You misunderstood me. I am totally excited about orientation and meeting my classmates!!! I was just asking if there was any reason for me to attend the housing check in since I will not be living on campus. I think if I showed up on Saturday, I would just get in the way of all the people trying to move in. I don't know if you meant to have a sarcastic tone in your response or not, but it kind of hurt my feelings. You are one of my future classmates, and I hope we can be friends.

you might want to check the rest of the thread...
1. i am not going to be one of your classmates.... sorry....
2. i did misunderstood you in a way.
3. the only reason i can see why you would want to be there earlier in the day maybe so you can get your id early and get your parking situation ironed out...

dwight_schrute said:
titer drama!!

my varicella titer read "suceptable" bul**** cus i def had chicken pox...had to get the vaccine... :mad:

anyhow...my housing info went to my permanent address and it prob mentioned this, but anyone know if we are allowed bbq's on the balcony of the suite style apts?? that would be pretty nice.

The toughest part about getting titers is justify the blood work to the HMO's...especially the varicella one when I had the disease in my youth, but apparently having the disease isn't a good enough reason.

LJDHC05 said:
It hasnt hit me yet either...

Yeah me neither. I think it's going to hit us like a ton of bricks.