NYMC c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I applied for a non-furnished room and I was wondering how do I go about getting in contact with graduating students in regards to getting some used stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

freddu98 said:
Hi, I applied for a non-furnished room and I was wondering how do I go about getting in contact with graduating students in regards to getting some used stuff?

how do weapply for housing? Is it online or did they send a form? I'm kinda confused my mail goes to my dad's house, when did they send the housing stuff?

also, did anyone else see the thing on 60 minutes where St. Vincent's Hospital didn't give Plan B to a rape victim? kinda disturbing and messed up... we'll have to work on that...

and finally...go sox!

The applications are posted online under the student section of the website. We got an email about it last week too! PM me with your email if you want me to foward it

Members don't see this ad :)
nymcstudent said:
bonovox,

"only" $200 for your ac... why so cheap?! when your school is selling it for 400?! :eek: :eek:

take bonovox's advice... wait til you get there, will be more than enough ac, books, cheap tvs for you all...

Yeah, I was stupid enough to buy it from the school vendor. It's a great AC, though, perfect fit in the Grasslands II sleeves, cools your room down rather nicely. $200!! Willing to negotiate, although not too much cuz that price is RED HOT! Going Going.... Going.... can I getta gone? wo0t wo0t!

LewisLab said:
I know that in the suites, the beds are twin but I was wondering if they were really extra long twin. When I went to college, they said to get extra long twin sheets but we just had twin beds. I'm having a hard time find extra long twin sheets that I like.

Yes, twin extra long. Lemme give you a word of advice though... GET YOUR OWN mattress!! The school mattress' will leave your body achin and unable to get some much needed rest.

Now, it just so happens I got me an extra long twin mattress, firm, 1-year old... bought from Sleepy's for $500. I'm willing to let it go for $200 OBO. Comes with a bucky board since the bed frame is one of those spring ones. Lemme know!

bonovox said:
Yes, twin extra long. Lemme give you a word of advice though... GET YOUR OWN mattress!! The school mattress' will leave your body achin and unable to get some much needed rest.

Now, it just so happens I got me an extra long twin mattress, firm, 1-year old... bought from Sleepy's for $500. I'm willing to let it go for $200 OBO. Comes with a bucky board since the bed frame is one of those spring ones. Lemme know!

so bonovox, is there something that you DONT have?
i think you should tell them about those microscopes that you've hidden under your bed now....

First Come Firse Serve! $500 for a microscope, that you can sell later for 550! ;)

nymcstudent said:
so bonovox, is there something that you DONT have?
i think you should tell them about those microscopes that you've hidden under your bed now....

First Come Firse Serve! $500 for a microscope, that you can sell later for 550! ;)

Now THAT's something I actually thunk smartly aboot. In my first year, I paid a second year $50 to rent his microscope since our schedules didn't overlap (when we'd need the scopes). In my second year, I paid a first year $50 to rent his scope. Worked out perfectly! Something to consider if you don't want to shell out hundreds for a scope...

Also, I don't think anyone can really call themselves a med student without a copy of "Gray's Anatomy" on their bookshelf. Sure, it's incomprehensible, indecipherable, incorrigbly incognizable... but come on, it's been used by generations of med students since the dawn of time! $20 OBO. Only opened once to smell that "new book" smell.

Cuz I'm lazy to find a place in Philly ^_^. But for reals, I didn't like the idea of being sepearted from the majority of my classmates in the PIL program. There are also a lot of different aspects of NYMC also...ill tell u when i meet you :D

singh0113 said:
Welcome to the class! :hardy:

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide on NYMC over Drexel?

Sounds good to me :thumbup:

SuferMD said:
Cuz I'm lazy to find a place in Philly ^_^. But for reals, I didn't like the idea of being sepearted from the majority of my classmates in the PIL program. There are also a lot of different aspects of NYMC also...ill tell u when i meet you :D

When is a good time for all of the Worcester residents to get together? I'm going on vacation July 2-11 and have Red Sox tickets for June 23 and July 14, but am free pretty much any other time to hang out for a couple of adult beverages.

randhail said:
When is a good time for all of the Worcester residents to get together? I'm going on vacation July 2-11 and have Red Sox tickets for June 23 and July 14, but am free pretty much any other time to hang out for a couple of adult beverages.
I PMed all the worcester-ites (worcester-onians?) about the gathering

Just a q, for all you other peeps that have been accepted. I know nymc sends an email once they process your deposit, but how long does that normally take? I've called the office and they said they have it, but still haven't sent me an email confirming that.

Members don't see this ad :)
mdterps83 said:
Just a q, for all you other peeps that have been accepted. I know nymc sends an email once they process your deposit, but how long does that normally take? I've called the office and they said they have it, but still haven't sent me an email confirming that.

It took them a while to send it to me: Accepted Apr 3, deposit received Apr 25, deposit cashed sometime in early may...

so for the furnished rooms is it possible to buy my own bed and not have the given twin bed? Props to NYMC for providing the bed, but when i was hosted there the mattress was horrible :( . Anywhooo excited about coming :)

SuferMD said:
so for the furnished rooms is it possible to buy my own bed and not have the given twin bed? Props to NYMC for providing the bed, but when i was hosted there the mattress was horrible :( . Anywhooo excited about coming :)

You can put the mattress under the bed. Or, you can move the whole she-bang, bedframe and all, into the living room if your roomies don't mind.

If you're planning on staying celibate in your room and not looking to get anything bigger than twin, then boy do I have the perfect mattress for you! Originally bought for $500 at Sleepy's, it is a comfy firm mattress that has been used for less than a year! Yours for only $200 OBO. Doesn't get any better than this.

bonovox said:
You can put the mattress under the bed. Or, you can move the whole she-bang, bedframe and all, into the living room if your roomies don't mind.

If you're planning on staying celibate in your room and not looking to get anything bigger than twin, then boy do I have the perfect mattress for you! Originally bought for $500 at Sleepy's, it is a comfy firm mattress that has been used for less than a year! Yours for only $200 OBO. Doesn't get any better than this.

LoL!

gonna to sell ALL the books too for a low price? =)

dont get a big bed, you wont have much room, since there's also a desk and a chair and a dresser that comes with.

i forgot if you can actually have walter move the bed for a fee...? as always, can always check with candy. she's helpful.

also, they just replaced all the stuff for apt, i dont know if they got new mattresses as well?

Has anyone gotten an email about Step 2 for financial aid yet?

go sf giants!

snowgirlca said:
Has anyone gotten an email about Step 2 for financial aid yet?

go sf giants!

=) im glad i wont be the only giants fan around. I didn't get my step 2 yet, but I talked to the financial aid office and they said it should get done "soon".

I was wondering if any of you had the schedule for first and second years? Thanks.

They told me late June-early July for the financial aid packages...

is anyone else in Office Space mode at work? I just dont care anymore, I do about 15 minutes of actual work a week and I'm counting down the minutes until my week-long summer break before registration...

Hi,

Does anyone know how the small group modules are put together? If you know someone in your class, what are the chances of being ini the same mod?

LJDHC05 said:
is anyone else in Office Space mode at work? I just dont care anymore, I do about 15 minutes of actual work a week and I'm counting down the minutes until my week-long summer break before registration...

i felt that way for like the last two months i was at my job. i was salary so i would come in an hour late and leave an hour early and take like 2 hour lunchs at the bar and gett kinda wasted. as much fun as it sounds, i just could not put up with being there any more. right now im in my second week of unemployemnt and loving it. you must sort of like it if you are only giving yourself a week before school starts. i would take a little more time off myself

razmataz said:
i felt that way for like the last two months i was at my job. i was salary so i would come in an hour late and leave an hour early and take like 2 hour lunchs at the bar and gett kinda wasted. as much fun as it sounds, i just could not put up with being there any more. right now im in my second week of unemployemnt and loving it. you must sort of like it if you are only giving yourself a week before school starts. i would take a little more time off myself

Well it's mostly to train my replacement. She's a non-science major working as a lab tech, so I would feel bad stranding my boss (and good friend) with inept workers and I have a feeling that she's going to take about 6 weeks to train to an acceptable level...

Plus I have a publication that was just reviewed for the second time so I have to pull the final revisions together for that to get it out the door...

plus my coworkers are pretty cool, I've already had 2 "working lunches" this week (beer+lunch+world cup soccer).

So I guess you're right. I don't dispise my job, but I dont like it either.

LJDHC05 said:

Hehe, I haven't done work in 2 weeks, and I really don't care anymore. I also am quitting a week shy of the start of school.

razmataz said:

For my situation it's all about the money. The longer I work, the more money I'll have saved up.

LJDHC05 said:
Well it's mostly to train my replacement. She's a non-science major working as a lab tech, so I would feel bad stranding my boss (and good friend) with inept workers and I have a feeling that she's going to take about 6 weeks to train to an acceptable level...

Plus I have a publication that was just reviewed for the second time so I have to pull the final revisions together for that to get it out the door...

plus my coworkers are pretty cool, I've already had 2 "working lunches" this week (beer+lunch+world cup soccer).

So I guess you're right. I don't dispise my job, but I dont like it either.

i've been doing no work either... coffee breaks, walgreen breaks, bathroom breaks, myspace, facebook, friendster, snack time, emails, internet browsing, aim, taking walks to the post office to mail nymc stuff... i've got no time for work!!! more needs to be said on this forum so i can take time to read it ;)

anybody going to NYMC from Cornell? PM me

Does anyone know the computer situation at NYMC? Are students required to bring laptops or desktops? Are there any minimum requirements? How integral is having a computer to the educational process at NYMC? Are lectures put online for download? What are the computer lab resources available on campus? Is the NYMC curriculm technology orientated?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a laptop and/or desktop that is suitable for classes and school work?

On another note, are students required to purchase microscopes? Also, are students required to purchase scrubs for anatomy lab? Is it manditory to buy scrubs from the school or can a student buy scrubs outside of the school?

Thanks for the help.

singh0113 said:
Does anyone know the computer situation at NYMC? Are students required to bring laptops or desktops? Are there any minimum requirements? How integral is having a computer to the educational process at NYMC? Are lectures put online for download? What are the computer lab resources available on campus? Is the NYMC curriculm technology orientated?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a laptop and/or desktop that is suitable for classes and school work?

On another note, are students required to purchase microscopes? Also, are students required to purchase scrubs for anatomy lab? Is it manditory to buy scrubs from the school or can a student buy scrubs outside of the school?

Thanks for the help.

wow.....

Maldini said:
For my situation it's all about the money. The longer I work, the more money I'll have saved up.

true that, i would have quit earlier but now i can get my 32" LCD :)

singh0113 said:

Thanks for the help.

I think a lot of these questions have been covered if you read back.

I would say having a computer that you own somewhere (be it desktop or laptop) is important. The desks in housing are pretty small, so I would choose a laptop.

Microscopes - already covered a few pages back

Must buy your own scrubs and nitrile gloves - from wherever you choose.

Does anyone know the computer situation at NYMC? I do.

Are students required to bring laptops or desktops? Nope.

Are there any minimum requirements? Read above.

How integral is having a computer to the educational process at NYMC? You don't really need your own, but it'd be nice to have considering how cheap they are these days. But, in any case, they have a computer lab and you can also use the computrs in the MODULES 24/7 (about 20 mod computers on each floor (there's one floor for first years and another for second years), which get all taken up around exam time). Anyways, I just bought a laptop so I'll sell you my DESKTOP 1.47 GHz Athlon 80 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, CD writer, ethernet, all that jazz plus a CRT monitor for $250. More than enough for what you need. I'll even give you a tutorial on the basics for free if you wanna know how to MAXIMIZE your NYMC internet learning experience. Lemme know.

Are lectures put online for download? Yes, if you subscribe to the scribe service.

What are the computer lab resources available on campus? Computer labs, modules, library. The modules are the only one open 24/7.

Is the NYMC curriculm technology orientated? Yes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a laptop and/or desktop that is suitable for classes and school work? Absolutely. Buy mine.

On another note, are students required to purchase microscopes? You'll need a scope your first 2 years for Histo lab, Micro lab, and parts of Path lab. Don't buy one from the school vendor, and wait till you arrive here and gets ads from students selling their scopes before you purchase one. You won't need a scope till more than a month into first year.

Also, are students required to purchase scrubs for anatomy lab? Haha... I'd like to see you go in your Sunday's best to anat lab, buddy. I don't know if it's technically a requirement, but BUY scrubs. Trust me on this one.

Is it manditory to buy scrubs from the school or can a student buy scrubs outside of the school? You can buy scrubs from anywhere you damn well please. Best to buy two pairs. I have a pair I'll sell to you for $5. Lemme know.

Thanks for the help. Anytime. :)

Hey,

Thanks for your answers. I guess I was getting a little bit neurotic with my questions. :oops:

bonovox said:

How integral is having a computer to the educational process at NYMC? You don't really need your own, but it'd be nice to have considering how cheap they are these days. But, in any case, they have a computer lab and you can also use the computrs in the MODULES 24/7 (about 20 mod computers on each floor (there's one floor for first years and another for second years), which get all taken up around exam time). Anyways, I just bought a laptop so I'll sell you my DESKTOP 1.47 GHz Athlon 80 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, CD writer, ethernet, all that jazz plus a CRT monitor for $250. More than enough for what you need. I'll even give you a tutorial on the basics for free if you wanna know how to MAXIMIZE your NYMC internet learning experience. Lemme know.

Are lectures put online for download? Yes, if you subscribe to the scribe service.

What are the computer lab resources available on campus? Computer labs, modules, library. The modules are the only one open 24/7.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a laptop and/or desktop that is suitable for classes and school work? Absolutely. Buy mine.

On another note, are students required to purchase microscopes? You'll need a scope your first 2 years for Histo lab, Micro lab, and parts of Path lab. Don't buy one from the school vendor, and wait till you arrive here and gets ads from students selling their scopes before you purchase one. You won't need a scope till more than a month into first year.

Also, are students required to purchase scrubs for anatomy lab? Haha... I'd like to see you go in your Sunday's best to anat lab, buddy. I don't know if it's technically a requirement, but BUY scrubs. Trust me on this one.

Is it manditory to buy scrubs from the school or can a student buy scrubs outside of the school? You can buy scrubs from anywhere you damn well please. Best to buy two pairs. I have a pair I'll sell to you for $5. Lemme know.

Sorry about my laziness :oops:

ms1finally said:
I think a lot of these questions have been covered if you read back.

I would say having a computer that you own somewhere (be it desktop or laptop) is important. The desks in housing are pretty small, so I would choose a laptop.

Microscopes - already covered a few pages back

Must buy your own scrubs and nitrile gloves - from wherever you choose.

singh0113 said:
Hey,

Thanks for your answers. I guess I was getting a little bit neurotic with my questions. :oops: :barf: :barf:

Don't worry bout it! Ask away!!

I was where you are now, so I completely understand. :)

Sorry, I've decided not to type (except these messages) during days that I have spent 6+ hours trying to salvage music from my ipod (which suddently decided to pretend to erase everything; Ipod has quite the sense of humor) as well as being on medication that's trying to deal with the 102+ fever I've been running for four days straight. Perhaps I should go rest now.

nymcstudent said:

bonovox said:

good job bonovox!

singh0113 said:
Sorry, I've decided not to type (except these messages) during days that I have spent 6+ hours trying to salvage music from my ipod (which suddently decided to pretend to erase everything; Ipod has quite the sense of humor) as well as being on medication that's trying to deal with the 102+ fever I've been running for four days straight. Perhaps I should go rest now.

Feel better!!!

bonovox said:
Anyways, I just bought a laptop so I'll sell you my DESKTOP 1.47 GHz Athlon 80 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, CD writer, ethernet, all that jazz plus a CRT monitor for $250. More than enough for what you need. I'll even give you a tutorial on the basics for free if you wanna know how to MAXIMIZE your NYMC internet learning experience. Lemme know.
I have a pair I'll sell to you for $5. Lemme know.

Have you no shame??

LJDHC05 said:
Have you no shame??

i actually find him rather amusing.
i'll give you some props for trying! bono

he's volunteering his time, i think he can plug whatever he wants. :)

razmataz said:
true that, i would have quit earlier but now i can get my 32" LCD :)

Yeah....I was thinking more along the lines of having money to pay for food and necessities :)

hey,

are we having a white coat ceremony? if so wheN? thanks!

SuferMD said:
hey,

are we having a white coat ceremony? if so wheN? thanks!

If you need a white coat, send me a message. I got one I'll give to you for $20. Lemme know.

Guys - the school provides one white coat for you (pretty high quality). I think ours last year was in Sept/ Oct. Oh wait - I've got my 2nd year calendar right here.

October 6.

Thanks. I guess i cant take you up on that offer of 20$ for the white coat then :p . Are you selling any underwear? I prefer boxers.

ms1finally said:
Guys - the school provides one white coat for you (pretty high quality). I think ours last year was in Sept/ Oct. Oh wait - I've got my 2nd year calendar right here.

October 6.

You're awesome! :laugh: Is there anything you won't sell?

bonovox said:
If you need a white coat, send me a message. I got one I'll give to you for $20. Lemme know.