NYMC c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstylee

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was pretty surprised not to find one of these already! i'm waiting on one waitlist, but i'm otherwise set on going to ny med. i'm pumped :thumbup: who's with me?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in. Deciding between NYMC and Jeff. Did you see the NYMC Match list. I was impressed. 7 ortho, 4 neurosurg, 19 rad, lots of anes and gen surg too. Congratulations on all the acceptances.

Dr_Frank_II said:
I'm in. Deciding between NYMC and Jeff. Did you see the NYMC Match list. I was impressed. 7 ortho, 4 neurosurg, 19 rad, lots of anes and gen surg too. Congratulations on all the acceptances.

thanks - congrats on your acceptances, too. great schools to choose from. so, where did you find the match list for this year? i'd like to see it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at the school last friday and it was posted there. It should be online soon, they have a link on the hompage so i assume by the end of this week or next we will have access to it.

Dude, where the hell is everyone?

JulioFly said:
Dude, where the hell is everyone?

yeah, really... weren't about 8 million people on sdn accepted this past week? anyway, are you choosing nymc over rfu, juliofly?

i was one of the 8 million accepted, so maybe ill see yall there in the fall. anyone know for sure when the orientation starts? the schedule from 2004 is online and it has orientation starting monday Aug 2. The acceptance package said first week in august, but is that week July 31 - Aug 4? or the following week?

I dont' know yet...I'm checking out nymc's campus again this coming week because I will happen to be in town. I am really torn between the two. REALLY torn.

medstylee said:
yeah, really... weren't about 8 million people on sdn accepted this past week? anyway, are you choosing nymc over rfu, juliofly?

JulioFly said:
I dont' know yet...I'm checking out nymc's campus again this coming week because I will happen to be in town. I am really torn between the two. REALLY torn.

I think I should add my name to this thread as it looks like my future desitnation. IMO NYMC hands down over RFU....

JulioFly said:

i know how you feel. i was pretty set, having made my mind up on nymc. but, i just recently talked to two nymc students who are very unhappy with certain aspects of the school and it really got me thinking. i'm glad i hadn't sent in my withdrawal to rf, because now i'm going to have to weigh my options a lot more carefully. i still really like nymc, it's just that i had heard only positive comments about the school before just recently. i've also had more than one of the physicians with whom i work tell me that i should really think about rf over nymc. i think rfu's reputation on sdn is far worse than it is in the medical field, where it counts. their matchlist certainly demonstrates that.

in any case, yeah, i'm torn as well. personally, i liked both schools a lot. luckily we still have a decent amount of time to think about things. let us know how your visit goes. :thumbup:

I think if you can find 2 unhappy med students at nymc, you can find 2 unhappy med students at rfu as well as anywhere else. So I wouldn't let that weigh to heavily in your decision. I am torn not because of reputations. I could really care less. I am torn because I liked both of the schools a lot and each has different things to offer in terms of location. Match lists from rfu and nymc in both 2005 and 2006 are comparable, so I've pretty much set that aside as a determining factor.

I got a good feel from rfums when I visited but I hate how cold it gets there and the surrounding area has little to offer (except once you move to downtown in years 3 and 4). (I also lived in the suburban chicago area until high school).

I, at first, got an unfavorable impression of ny med because of my interviewer. But the school itself is more beautiful and the location is nice as well. I love new york city. And nymc is closer to new york city (25 miles) than rfums is closer to chicago (40 miles).

I was accepted to rfums back in december and put myself in the mindset that that was where I was going to end up. But I'm now leaning more towards ny...if you're going to be stressed out no matter where you go, at least make it a place where you can be stressed out and happy.

i'll let you know how the visit goes, but you need to go with your gut anyway.

I am a current first year at NYMC and I must say I love it so far. If any of you have questions or concerns, feel free to ask me.

bumping this thread! i'm still surprised there aren't more people considering nymc yet.

i just withdrew from the other school i've been accepted to (after much thinking). still waiting for two waitlists, but if those don't work out, nymc it is! :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all those accepted! I am also a first year here at NYMC and am very happy with everything so far. Feel free to ask any questions...

Ok, what the hell.. still no posts here?! How truly dissapointing! Maybe those people don't waste so much of their time on SDN though...
I'm coming to NY med in july and am REALLY excited. I had a really good 2nd look. I love NYC and the facilities at nymc are top notch. i receieved emails from dozens of 1st and 2nd years as wella s 4th years telling me how great of a time they're having at nymc. So I feel really good about my decision. See you all soon!

i was talking to the admissions office the other day and was told that it's the first MONDAY of august (the 7th, i believe), and if you're on-campus you move in that weekend. for whomever was asking about that.
i'm getting more and more excited about starting school - don't know if i can make it until august :)

Correction, See ya'll July 31st!

(disclaimer: unless UMass pulls me off the waitlist)

BOBODR should have posted here and I'm sure there are a few more that should have posted

sorry...double post

Hi,

I am currently on the waitlist at NYMC. I am writing a letter of intent and trying to figure out what to say in it. Can anyone tell me what are some unique advatanges of a NYMC pre-clinical/clinical education? Are there any particular fields NYMC excels at training people for residency? Anyone have any suggestions for a LOI? Would anyone be willing to read my LOI and comment on it? Can anyone who is attending comment on why they picked the school. Thanks.

like LJD said, the 31st. i probably knew better than to listen to the person i talked to - he didn't seem to know much. i had forgotten how awesome dealing with school administrators was ...
anyway - could some nice person post the dates when they start sending you important stuff (housing, financial aid, etc)? i know it was in the letter, but i seem to have misplaced it.
much thanks in advance (and looking forward to seeing you all one week earlier than i thought:)

I posted earlier on this thread, I havent been much on SDN lately.

Anyway good things about NYMC for Singh...

1) New facilities, amazing anatomy lab, MODS

2) Close to NYC ~30 mins

3) Alot of hospitals to do rotations at, but these are given out by lottery

4) Great new childrens hospital on NYMC campus

5) Beautiful safe green campus

6) Amazing board scores

7)Good match list, especially if your into Radiology

8) Some research. It wont be confused with Harvard anytime soon but when compared to other schools often used in the same sentence (ex-Drexel) it has alot more research opporunities. You just have to be proactive and look for them. Also in the are are a ton of biotech companies that offer summer intern positions which could be interesting if your into drug discovery (I am).

The few bad things that I have seen is cost (60,000 a yr) but this is no more than most other privates like Tufts, Drexel, RFU, Albany, G-town, GW, etc...
I also heard some things about the administration but I guess every school has a few of those...

Either way I am excited to be going to NYMC (unless I get off Cinci's WL). I love NYMC except the cost makes it hard to choose over other good schools like Cinci).

Last year orientation included lots of barbecues, a dinner cruise around Manhattan (I have actually done this b4). I could only hope it included a Yankee game this year. Sounds like a lot of fun before we get kicked in the face with anatomy.

Oneat - I doubt you misplaced ur sheet, I think u sent it back to NYMC :laugh: For some reason they put all the info we needed to know, on the same sheet we had to sign and send back to hold our spot :confused: I made a copy before I sent it. When I get home tonite I will post the info for you. I also just received an email saying the 31st is orientation.

Also I read up on Weschester Medical Center and it seems like a huge hospital with 1000 beds, and serves 4 million people. Trauma level 1, with great cancer expertise? Why dont more NYMC'ers want to do their roations there? Is there something bad about the hospital I am missing, bad attendings or something? A current student mind answering about it. I will be buying a place in Valhalla and will need to do roations at WMC, just want to make sure its not a bad choice.

Thanks for all the help :D

BOBODR said:
I posted earlier on this thread, I havent been much on SDN lately.

Anyway good things about NYMC for Singh...

1) New facilities, amazing anatomy lab, MODS

2) Close to NYC ~30 mins

3) Alot of hospitals to do rotations at, but these are given out by lottery

4) Great new childrens hospital on NYMC campus

5) Beautiful safe green campus

6) Amazing board scores

7)Good match list, especially if your into Radiology

8) Some research. It wont be confused with Harvard anytime soon but when compared to other schools often used in the same sentence (ex-Drexel) it has alot more research opporunities. You just have to be proactive and look for them. Also in the are are a ton of biotech companies that offer summer intern positions which could be interesting if your into drug discovery (I am).

The few bad things that I have seen is cost (60,000 a yr) but this is no more than most other privates like Tufts, Drexel, RFU, Albany, G-town, GW, etc...
I also heard some things about the administration but I guess every school has a few of those...

Either way I am excited to be going to NYMC (unless I get off Cinci's WL). I love NYMC except the cost makes it hard to choose over other good schools like Cinci).

Last year orientation included lots of barbecues, a dinner cruise around Manhattan (I have actually done this b4). I could only hope it included a Yankee game this year. Sounds like a lot of fun before we get kicked in the face with anatomy.

Oneat - I doubt you misplaced ur sheet, I think u sent it back to NYMC :laugh: For some reason they put all the info we needed to know, on the same sheet we had to sign and send back to hold our spot :confused: I made a copy before I sent it. When I get home tonite I will post the info for you. I also just received an email saying the 31st is orientation.

Also I read up on Weschester Medical Center and it seems like a huge hospital with 1000 beds, and serves 4 million people. Trauma level 1, with great cancer expertise? Why dont more NYMC'ers want to do their roations there? Is there something bad about the hospital I am missing, bad attendings or something? A current student mind answering about it. I will be buying a place in Valhalla and will need to do roations at WMC, just want to make sure its not a bad choice.

Financial Aid: Shortly. I got this email when I got my acceptance.

Student Health: Mid may we will get a packet from student healthwith info about physical, immunizations, and lab tests. Must be taken care of prior registration.

Student Housing: End of May we will get a housing application.

Registrar: Mid June we will get info about registration process

Bursar: Mid June we will get our first tuition bill and info about health insurance :scared:

Summary:Before you matriculate you need to send official transcripts from all schools. Deposit must be sent by May 15th to hold spot. Deferral possible but u cant apply during that year to other schools. Must finish any current program your in.

Hope this helps those who mailed in the form without making a copy. :thumbup:

you guys didn't already get the financial aid e-mail, instructing you how to fill out part 1 of the application? i got mine a couple of weeks ago. i guess they probably send them to you according to how recently you were accepted. anyway, it says that they won't start processing packages for incoming students until june 26. is it me, or does that sound way late? i guess if i have to make a quick decision post-may 15, financial aid will not be factoring in...

medstylee said:
you guys didn't already get the financial aid e-mail, instructing you how to fill out part 1 of the application? i got mine a couple of weeks ago. i guess they probably send them to you according to how recently you were accepted. anyway, it says that they won't start processing packages for incoming students until june 26. is it me, or does that sound way late? i guess if i have to make a quick decision post-may 15, financial aid will not be factoring in...

Hey there were several dates that they said they process packages. If you already filled out ur stuff then u will get something may 15th. Its that june date if ur accepted after may 15th.

BOBODR said:
Hey there were several dates that they said they process packages. If you already filled out ur stuff then u will get something may 15th. Its that june date if ur accepted after may 15th.

ah, i see. thanks for the clarification, bob. :thumbup: curiously enough, i got an e-mail from them today saying they were missing a bunch of parts of my fin aid application. they had everything a few weeks ago, so i'm hoping they didn't lose my stuff.

anyway, we still need to boost the membership on this thread, eh? where are all our other future classmates at!?

medstylee said:
ah, i see. thanks for the clarification, bob. :thumbup: curiously enough, i got an e-mail from them today saying they were missing a bunch of parts of my fin aid application. they had everything a few weeks ago, so i'm hoping they didn't lose my stuff.

anyway, we still need to boost the membership on this thread, eh? where are all our other future classmates at!?

I was wondering the same thing, with a class of 185 you think we could have at least 8-10 on here. :rolleyes:

BOBODR said:

From what I've heard you get worked a bit harder at WMC on some rotations. In addition, people want to live in the city. A lot of people get rid of their cars come 3rd year, and so living in Westchester for months without a car can be a little difficult (IMHO, but lots of people do it and don't seem to mind) especially when you are in 3rd year, which has a little less camraderie than 1st/2nd.

Once people have chosen (city/Westchester) they often move back and forth and sublet from eachother for certain rotations, so if you choose a location you are not locked in.

With that said, 40% of the class lives in Westchester for 3rd year, and a few less for 2nd year, so I don't think is any derth of people rotating at WMC.

Hey,
They told me that they needed my fin aid stuff back by April 24, so I strove to get my stuff back to them by then...this may be different from what you heard. but june 26 does sound awfully late...i don't trust it.

medstylee said:

Email me if you are interested or have any questions.

FSUddin

JulioFly said:
Hey,
They told me that they needed my fin aid stuff back by April 24, so I strove to get my stuff back to them by then...this may be different from what you heard. but june 26 does sound awfully late...i don't trust it.

yeah, i had the same deadline too. when i said june 26, i was wrong, it turns out. it should actually have been june 6. i found this on the nymc financial aid on-line application:

NYMC site said:
Email notices directing you to your notice of eligibility will begin to go out for completed student files as follows:

* Class of 2007 - after Tuesday, May 16, 2006
* Class of 2008 - after Tuesday, May 30, 2006
* Class of 2009 - after Monday, June 26, 2006
* Class of 2010 - as files are completed after Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Upon receipt of this Email, you will be instructed to return to this web site and accept your award amounts.

it's still after may 15, which sucks. but, what can you do? in any case, for those of your who have sent in the application materials, i'd recommend that you call just to confirm that they have everything. a few pieces of mine got lost in their office, but luckily they found them after i called the other day.

Hey does anyone know how many people NYMC interviews, and also how many offers of acceptance they make?

Hey guys, I interviewed on February 2nd and I did not receive any type of decision thus far. Are there people that hold waitlist positions that interviewed with me, or after? Thanks

ARTOFHAPPINESS said:
Hey guys, I interviewed on February 2nd and I did not receive any type of decision thus far. Are there people that hold waitlist positions that interviewed with me, or after? Thanks

I would check the pre-all forum for a response.

Also, where is everyone, lets show some NYMC pride. We have a class of 185, schools like Mayo with a class of 5 have more life to their thread. I dont know, where is everyone from and what area of medicine are you interested in? Just trying to get some convo going. :D

I will go first: I am from NJ, went to school at Wake Forest, and not sure anymore about what area of medicine. Used to like Rheumatology and still do but open to other things like optho.

Also is everyone going to be living on campus? Am I the only making the bold move of living off campus?

Hi everyone,

I just got an acceptance email this morning! I interviewed way back in March. Anyways, I'm really excited and I really loved the school when I was there.

Now I have a tough choice though. I am really worried about making a final decision. Should I choose Drexel Med or NYMC? I really love both of these schools. I love Drexel's PIL cirric which I would be doing there, but the vibe I got at NYMC was great and the facilities, faculty and students were amazing.

My friend who is a 4th year at Stony said that the NYMC class size is too big and that I should choose Drexel! WTF, man I'm so confused.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks

Krishna

kkd3 said:
Hi everyone,

I just got an acceptance email this morning! I interviewed way back in March. Anyways, I'm really excited and I really loved the school when I was there.

Now I have a tough choice though. I am really worried about making a final decision. Should I choose Drexel Med or NYMC? I really love both of these schools. I love Drexel's PIL cirric which I would be doing there, but the vibe I got at NYMC was great and the facilities, faculty and students were amazing.

My friend who is a 4th year at Stony said that the NYMC class size is too big and that I should choose Drexel! WTF, man I'm so confused.

Any input would be very helpful. Thanks

Krishna
Ummm the NYMC class size is too big? And then you talk about DRexel.... Drexel cant even fit all their students into their lecture hall so they stream the video. They have a class well over 200 people.

In my opinion and I am not just saying this because I am most likely attending NYMC. I would choose NYMC over Drexel any day of the week. There is 0 research at Drexel, I heard the main hospital is a skeleton crew because of the bankruptcy, and you sometimes wind up doing your rotations hours away from Philly. Even in Pitt possibly. NYMC has amazing board scores, great facilities, and many great hospitals which to choose from including a sweet peds hospital.

I know NYMC has a good matchlist and dont know about Drexel's.

I think costs are the same. I would go where I got the better feeling if I were you.

-Oh and if any Drexel class of 2010 look at this, I think Drexel is a good school so dont take offense and feel free to correct anything that I said that is factually wrong. :thumbup:

Congrats to everyone accepted today! :clap:

Unfortunately, I'm still on the waitlist.

I called today to see if my update letter was added to my file (I sent an email to [email protected] on Thursday). The person on the phone looked up my file and said that she can't access it because it is currently with the Admissions Committee. I emailed Carolyn Chiarieri on Friday with the letter and got a response yesterday that she will make sure it gets added to my file.

I wonder if it is a good sign that my file is being reviewed again. I also wonder if my email to Carolyn Chiarieri had anything to do with it. Does anyone know if everyone's file get reviewed at the same time? I am just so worried at this point. I hope the letter makes it to the admissions committee :scared:

PS-Thanks to everyone for the suggestion to send it directly to Carolyn Chiarieri

BOBODR said:
I would check the pre-all forum for a response.

Also, where is everyone, lets show some NYMC pride. We have a class of 185, schools like Mayo with a class of 5 have more life to their thread. I dont know, where is everyone from and what area of medicine are you interested in? Just trying to get some convo going. :D

I will go first: I am from NJ, went to school at Wake Forest, and not sure anymore about what area of medicine. Used to like Rheumatology and still do but open to other things like optho.

Also is everyone going to be living on campus? Am I the only making the bold move of living off campus?

hey man, good idea. i think this thread is just a late bloomer, compared to any of the other school threads. well, hopefully... anyway, about me - i'm chris, from ny (long island - i'm really sick of this place!); went to northwestern for undergrad; georgetown smp for grad; currently interested in the surgical fields, although i've been really interested in forensic path for a long time; i'm not thrilled about living in the campus apts, but i think i'll suck it up and do that for the two years - it'll save me a lot of $$. so, there you have it. so much for confidentiality, but whatever. :horns:

JulioFly said:
Ok, what the hell.. still no posts here?! How truly dissapointing! Maybe those people don't waste so much of their time on SDN though...
I'm coming to NY med in july and am REALLY excited. I had a really good 2nd look. I love NYC and the facilities at nymc are top notch. i receieved emails from dozens of 1st and 2nd years as wella s 4th years telling me how great of a time they're having at nymc. So I feel really good about my decision. See you all soon!

Did NYMC have a 2nd Look? I didn't know about this...

kkd3 said:
I am really worried about making a final decision. Should I choose Drexel Med or NYMC?

krishna - congrats on your acceptances. you've got some very solid choices.

for me, nymc was a better fit. don't get me wrong - drexel is certainly a great school (they have two of the best curricular options out there!).

the two schools have similarities and differences, for sure. they both have large class sizes, but drexel's is actually quite a bit larger (i think around 230 now?), while nymc is around 185. both have similar academic building setups, although i like how nymc is part of a medical enclave with academic centers, hospitals, and research facilities. they both have a long list of teaching hospital affiliates, but drexel's seemed to be more spread out. another reason i liked nymc better was it's location. i, personally, am not a fan of philadelphia at all. it also seems to me that there is more research going on at nymc than at drexel.

in any case, those are just the things i've noticed. they're totally based on my opinions. i think either schools would serve a student well. anyway, congrats on your choices.

medstylee said:
hey man, good idea. i think this thread is just a late bloomer, compared to any of the other school threads. well, hopefully... anyway, about me - i'm chris, from ny (long island - i'm really sick of this place!); went to northwestern for undergrad; georgetown smp for grad; currently interested in the surgical fields, although i've been really interested in forensic path for a long time; i'm not thrilled about living in the campus apts, but i think i'll suck it up and do that for the two years - it'll save me a lot of $$. so, there you have it. so much for confidentiality, but whatever. :horns:

hey all...got my acceptance last week the day before my birthday, talk about the sweetest bday gift ever! I'm from central NY, BU for undergrad and now finishing grad school at pitt. Trying to finish up soon so I can have a few weeks off before school starts. really excited for NYMC and I'm interested in radiology. But yeah, not too excited about the on campus living either. any one know if most of the first years all live in those suite-style buildings or do some live in the apartments too? does afforadable off campus housing even exist?

Hey Everybody!

I got my acceptance a couple of weeks ago, and finally get to officially say I will be at NYMC! I am from Wisconsin, did my undergrad at UW--Madison, and have only been to NY for that interview... big steps...haha...

Can't imagine living in those quads, but from what I hear it seems to be the most realistic option. Not sure what kind of medicine I will do, but looking into the joint MD-MPH, anybody else?

Here is what I found out about housing: Most first years are assigned to the suite style apartments. I contacted Candy Hack at campus housing and she said that most of the studio or one bedrooms on campus have been taken by older students in the housing lottery. Any of these apartments that are left will be reserved for older students over 25, and even for them there seems to be little hope.

She also sent me a list of off-campus housing contact numbers, but it seems to me that it is quite a bit more expensive and there weren't any websites to look at.

So for me it is looking like on-campus suite style housing. I haven't been able to get a good idea of what the difference is between the 3 and 4 bedroom suites, if there is a size difference in the rooms / if both options have 2 bathrooms. Has anyone been able to find a floor plan?

I'm a NYMC alumnist. Here's the deal on housing. Yes, it's expensive. But generally, it's much cheaper and more convenient than living out in town. Remember, NYMC is located in Westchester county, which is a expensive suburb of NYC.

As a first year med student, you will get the "left-overs" of on-campus housing. All the senior students ahead of you get first choice. Also, married students or students w/ children get priority over single students.

There are 2 types of on-campus housing in Valhalla:
1) The newer 3- to 4-room apartment suites (Yes, you will have 2 or 3 roommates). It's 4 stories high. Furnished. But no elevator (a real pain if you move into the 4th floor).
2) The older 1-, 2-, to 3-room apartments. It's 2 stories high. But NOT furnished. The older apartments generally have bigger rooms and tend to be quieter than the newer "high rise" apartments, which is good for studying and sleeping :)

When you enter your 3rd and 4th year of med school, you can move to NYC and live in the NYMC apartments at 95th St (upper east side of Manhattan). Very nice and affordable apartments in NYC. Unfurnished apartments though. But it's a lottery system and not everyone gets the privilege of living in NYC student housing.

During my 1st and 2nd year of med school, I lived in the newer apartment building. During 3rd year, I lived in the older unfurnished on-campus apartments in Valhalla (2 bedroom type). And 4th year, I lived in the NYC on-campus apartments and loved life...NYC is AWESOME!!! Especially when you're a 4th year med student, have senioritis, and don't give a damn anymore...PARTY EVERY NIGHT IN THE CITY!!! :horns:

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at NYMC. As with any med school...some things are good, some things suck. Although NYMC's academics and curriculum are rigorous (I worked my a$$ off during my 1st 3 years of med school), NYMC prepared me well for USMLE Step 1 and 2 and residency. I got USMLE scores above 240 on both Step 1 and 2. I matched at my #1 choice in a very competitive specialty. I also met some great friends there, who I still keep in touch with. Studying in NYC is great. The diverse people, cultures, pathology, and medicine you will experience is like no other place in the world. :thumbup:

nymc flower said:
I'm a NYMC alumnist. Here's the deal on housing. Yes, it's expensive. But generally, it's much cheaper and more convenient than living out in town. Remember, NYMC is located in Westchester county, which is a expensive suburb of NYC.

As a first year med student, you will get the "left-overs" of on-campus housing. All the senior students ahead of you get first choice. Also, married students or students w/ children get priority over single students.

There are 2 types of on-campus housing in Valhalla:
1) The newer 3- to 4-room apartment suites (Yes, you will have 2 or 3 roommates). It's 4 stories high. Furnished. But no elevator (a real pain if you move into the 4th floor).
2) The older 1-, 2-, to 3-room apartments. It's 2 stories high. But NOT furnished. The older apartments generally have bigger rooms and tend to be quieter than the newer "high rise" apartments, which is good for studying and sleeping :)

When you enter your 3rd and 4th year of med school, you can move to NYC and live in the NYMC apartments at 95th St (upper east side of Manhattan). Very nice and affordable apartments in NYC. Unfurnished apartments though. But it's a lottery system and not everyone gets the privilege of living in NYC student housing.

During my 1st and 2nd year of med school, I lived in the newer apartment building. During 3rd year, I lived in the older unfurnished on-campus apartments in Valhalla (2 bedroom type). And 4th year, I lived in the NYC on-campus apartments and loved life...NYC is AWESOME!!! Especially when you're a 4th year med student, have senioritis, and don't give a damn anymore...PARTY EVERY NIGHT IN THE CITY!!! :horns:

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at NYMC. As with any med school...some things are good, some things suck. Although NYMC's academics and curriculum are rigorous (I worked my a$$ off during my 1st 3 years of med school), NYMC prepared me well for USMLE Step 1 and 2 and residency. I got USMLE scores above 240 on both Step 1 and 2. I matched at my #1 choice in a very competitive specialty. I also met some great friends there, who I still keep in touch with. Studying in NYC is great. The diverse people, cultures, pathology, and medicine you will experience is like no other place in the world. :thumbup:

Now this thread has some life. I will post some links when I get the chance for off campus apartment renting and buying. Off campus has some 2 bedroom places to rent for 1400-2000.00 If you go 1400 thats 700 a person which isnt too much more than on campus (-650.00)and you wont be living dorm style. On campus apartments come to about the same I believe. I just dont think I could handle living in the dorms since I lived in spacious apartments for 4 years now and need my space to cook, and spread out. I will get those links up later.

-Bob

I was looking around on NYMC's page, but I can't find any information on what computers/ laptops/ software/ etc. they recommend.

Does anyone have any information?
I'm going to be purchasing a laptop within the next few weeks, and I wanted to make sure it will be NYMC compatible.

Thanks!

Hey all, I'll be seeing you in July. Ok, technically August, but saying July makes the end of work seem alot closer. My name's Luke, I'm from the Boston area and went to school at Holy Cross. I'm a Leo who enjoys long walks on the beach at sunset, romantic candle-lit dinners and otolaryngology. I'm planning on living on campus because I dont know the area and I got majorly lost trying to leave after my interview (I drove around in circles for 45 minutes).

My birthday falls in the middle of orientation (8/2). Depending on what's happening for orientation events, I'm thinking that a beer-b-q outside the apartments may be in order, just so that I don't feel so very lonely on my first birthday away from the fam & gf. And by so very lonely, I mean so very sober.

So yeah, about the married student housing preference, does that carry over to engaged students who may have fiance moving in during 3rd year when she finishes law school? Is there a marriage loophole where I could get married, say this summer, in order to get a primo housing slot even though my gf is in at school in Vermont? There has to be some way that I can milk the misery of a long distance relationship for better housing!

gregarious said:
Not sure what kind of medicine I will do, but looking into the joint MD-MPH, anybody else?

I think the MD-MPH program is a great deal. You'll have MPH classes on top of your MD classes. It's rigorous, but manageable. I did not do it, but wish I did. There were a number of my classmates that did the MD-MPH program and graduated on time (in 4 years). The secret to graduating on time was taking summer classes when possible and taking many of the courses during 4th year (which means less "senioritis playtime").

I dont know the answer to the computer question but I think you can get anyone you want.

I am not sure how much of the curriculum is computer based. Can any student elaborate on the use of computers in the curriculum. Are the histo slides on line like at alot of schools now? Are lectures or slides available online? Anything else that makes getting a computer worth it?

LJDHC05 said:
Hey all, I'll be seeing you in July. Ok, technically August, but saying July makes the end of work seem alot closer. My name's Luke, I'm from the Boston area and went to school at Holy Cross. I'm a Leo who enjoys long walks on the beach at sunset, romantic candle-lit dinners and otolaryngology. I'm planning on living on campus because I dont know the area and I got majorly lost trying to leave after my interview (I drove around in circles for 45 minutes).

My birthday falls in the middle of orientation (8/2). Depending on what's happening for orientation events, I'm thinking that a beer-b-q outside the apartments may be in order, just so that I don't feel so very lonely on my first birthday away from the fam & gf. And by so very lonely, I mean so very sober.

So yeah, about the married student housing preference, does that carry over to engaged students who may have fiance moving in during 3rd year when she finishes law school? Is there a marriage loophole where I could get married, say this summer, in order to get a primo housing slot even though my gf is in at school in Vermont? There has to be some way that I can milk the misery of a long distance relationship for better housing!

I have a sneaky suspicion your a red sox fan :p
Anyway I dont know about the whole housing quandy but I doubt being engaged will help as they need a mrriage certificate to let people live together on campus. If you get married and your other half isnt there I doubt they will give you better housing to start off with. Maybe third yr if you decide to do rotations at WMC and live on campus then it would work.

You convinced me to join your b-day bbq, no one deserves to be sober or alone on their birthday, (not even a sox fan if you are one) :thumbup: