Nurse- worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And I'm not willing to abandon my life's dreams, family and community because I'm chasing money. It's great that there is money in California, but my heart and soul is on a farm in northwest Wisconsin. All the money in the world couldn't drive me away. And really, the scope of the problem is so much greater than "just move to the West Coast!" Don't people in rural Wisconsin deserve good care? Do nurses here not deserve reasonable working conditions and income?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to put my .02 for the OP.
As far as respiratory therapist vs RN goes, my godsister started as an RT, and then became an RN. She learned how to work with neonates, and spent years working at Children's Hospital in Oakland. When she was training to be an RN, she already had skills working with the little-littles, and when she was hired, completely re-vamped the ED at her current hospital to have more equipment available to any Peds admissions. She works Fri/Sat night shifts, had two kids, bought a house in the Bay Area, and makes an ungodly amount of money for working 2 twelves a week. If you want to be a nurse, but aren't sure, becoming an RT might be a good way for you to 1) save money and 2) get into the healthcare field.

I skimmed this forum, so apologies if I'm behind or I've been redundant.

Peace,
Nikibean.

And I'm not willing to abandon my life's dreams, family and community because I'm chasing money. It's great that there is money in California, but my heart and soul is on a farm in northwest Wisconsin. All the money in the world couldn't drive me away. And really, the scope of the problem is so much greater than "just move to the West Coast!" Don't people in rural Wisconsin deserve good care? Do nurses here not deserve reasonable working conditions and income?

Absolutley. and it is a crime that nurses are being paid peanuts in areas like that. My suggestion about the West Coast was allegorical.

How do they get away with paying you guys so low???

Then again maybe if you all up and moved they would have no choice but to pay a fair wage...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that will change. As more shortages occur, more money will be put on the table.

You all need to move to the West Coast.
California salaries are excellent, even in Northern Cal where the cost of living is not bad at all.

But Washington is great. My sister-in-law just moved there and got hired (head hunted actually) on as a staff nurse in Washington state. She has 8 years experience in med/surg. She is making $87,000 per year. She said that she thought about Oregon, but the average wage there is only about $70,000 - $75,000 at her level.

I live in Texas...last year I made $52K, which I thought wasn't bad considering I only worked avg 30 hours a week and even took off close to 4 weeks without pay to care for my father while he was on hospice.

So far this year I'm averaging 48 hours a week and grossing $6200 per month, net $4400 after deductions. Mortgage runs $800 for a 1700 sq foot 3 br/2bath, utilities/internet/satellite/cell phone $350...groceries I'm not sure, I buy a side a beef a year, and we have a garden so we eat really good, steaks year round :D. Cost of living is great here. A lot of married residents with kids buy homes in and around my neighborhood to build up equity for bigger and better homes later on.

Wow, that's pretty dismal.... In California tarting pay for 90% time fresh out of RN school (ADN or otherwise) 87K .

Wouldn't working as nurses be a better use of their skills than "tarting", you don't need a degree to be a tart.........:)

This thread has gone off topic, although some very interesting points have been raised by everyone. But, to come back to the OP's question about choosing between nursing and RT, I think you will find information that will be very useful in your decision making on sites like allnurses.com for nursing, and on forums like the one at the following link at indeed.com http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/respiratory-therapist/05390c183c137e1b707a4505
for RT. I think both are good careers, but as a nurse, I will tell you that unless you REALLY love people, have a lot of patience, and a high level of tolerance for BS you might want to think twice before deciding to go into nursing because you will eventually get to a point where you will either really love it or really hate it. And some people get to that point when they are no longer motivated to go back to school to transition to something else.

I have been a travel nurse for a while now, and there are many things about nursing that I like. But I decided on a change to premed back in '06 because, for me, nursing no longer provides the type of challenge that I need in a career. Almost every doctor that I've worked with during the past couple years has tried to discourage me from going to medical school...saying that its just not worth it anymore, that they aren't making the type of money they used to make, and that in years to come they are going to be making even less. But, for me, its not just about the money or the title. I actually love patient care, and becoming a physician would allow me to do more for my patients than I will ever be able to do as an RN. I even considered NP and PA, and would have been equally satisfied with either, despite the countless debates about the inferiority of mid-level practitioners.

One thing that I have really enjoyed about nursing is the hands-on connection with the patients and being totally involved in their treatment and recovery. I especially love the patient education part of it because I've worked with so many people who are scared and have no clue what's going on, and some of them really appreciate it when we take some time to talk to them and explain things without all the medical jargon. Its tough on the doctors, too. They have so many patients to see all over the place, and they just don't have the time to sit at the beside for 20 minutes to hold hands and talk to everybody.

I've been fortunate, in that, throughout most of my career I've worked with nurses who were good team players and physicians who treat nurses with respect. The whole health care system is changing, though not for the better, and there's not a lot of that teamwork out there anymore. These days its all about business and competition, and the arrogance, rudeness, and hostility of some nurses, doctors, and administrators that I'm seeing nowadays really makes me wonder.

The nursing profession itself has changed. The Nightingale-esque type of nursing is long dead, and so are all the glorious nursing care models dreamed up by brilliant nursing visionaries and theorists like Drs. Watson and Leininger. Nursing is no longer about physician support, or safety, or even actual patient care. Now its all about 'customer service' because the hospitals now view patients as 'clients', and we are expected to act as their maids instead of professionals who are there to coordinate and execute the physician's medical care plan. Hospital administrators are aggressively cutting back on everything to make more profit for their shareholders, and they are forcing us to work short-staffed with more and more patients, limited or no supplies with basic things like machines to check vital signs, scales to do daily weights, and sometimes even supplies to do dressing changes. Sometimes we're lucky if we can even find a pitcher to bring the patients some water to drink. We are forced to work with lots of outdated and broken equipment, many of which get repaired only when they know that the Joint Commission inspectors are coming.

Then there is the ever-increasing amount of paperwork that we are expected to do. And, on top of it all, we stand directly in the line of fire---taking all sorts of verbal and physical abuse and threats from some family members, doctors, the patients, and even the administrators themselves. And they have the nerve to put numbers in the patients rooms for them to call and make complaints if they are dissatisfied with the care they are receiving. Of course, many of those complaints are not about their medical or nursing care, but about the fact that the steak served for dinner was too dry or that the coffee wasn't warm enough. And, yes, administration expects us to drop everything that we are doing to go warm up the coffee and to call dietary to get something else for the patient to eat. In some ways, we're like room service in a hotel. LOL.

Some days the crap hits the fan, and you have to constantly be re-prioritizing everything, not just for one patient but for all of them simultaneously. The physicians don't call back when you page them with critical labs or to clarify orders or to get new orders; or they call back with a nasty and sarcastic attitude because they would rather not be disturbed (but guess what, if we don't call to report those critical labs, or changes in the patients' status, or to get that order, then the patient ends up either in trouble or dead, and all our asses get sued.) Radiology is calling because they've decided to send for the patient now even though the scan was scheduled for three hours from now, The OR is calling because the surgery schedule got changed and they want the patient prepped and sent now, the ER is calling to give report on a new admission that's on the way to the unit right now, the family members are yelling at you because they are unhappy about one silly thing or another, a surgeon suddenly shows up and demands that you drop everything right now to get supplies to assist him bedside with a procedure, the lab is calling because the specimens that were sent down by the previous shift were either contaminated or hemolyzed and they need new ones (only, there's no phlebotomist and no tech to get the specimens so you have to get the equipment and do it yourself), a doctor is on the phone with stat orders (but there's no secretary to enter the orders so you have to take them off yourself) and then execute them right away, you have a confused patient---big fall risk--- but the hospital has a policy against using restraints and there is no sitter available so of course the patient falls and you have a ton of paperwork to fill out afterwards, your tele patient suddenly goes into V-tach and before you know it you have a code blue on your hands. It gets old. Everybody wants a piece of you, and no matter what you do or how fast you run you just can't do it all at once unless you have top-flight time management skills---especially if you're juggling a dozen or more patients on a med surg floor. A nursing shortage exists not because there aren't enough nurses around but because more and more of us are getting tired of the abuse and the stress and are leaving to pursue other careers. I chose to stay because despite all the madness, I still love it.

So what if we have to wipe incontinent butts, burp colostomy bags, clean up urine, vomit and blood, and clean and dress infected and disgusting looking wounds? I don't even think about those things when I do them anymore. Rather than turn up my nose or make a face, I perform the tasks quickly and in a way that maintains the patients' dignity. Anyone who looks down on nurses for doing these things is an idiot because they are just as important to the patient as performing diagnostic tests or writing orders for treatments and medications. We not only have to clean up body fluids, but also assess them for clues that help physicians with their diagnostic workups. Our report of the odor, color, and consistency of that poop may be the physician's first clue of a GI bleed. The pink tinge in that urine may be the first clue of renal problems or the need to more closely monitor patients who're on anticoagulants, etc. Besides, everybody poops, pees, pukes, and bleeds; and if and when some people ever find themselves so sick that they can't even clean themselves, perhaps then they'd have a little more respect for the nurses who are there doing it for them. This is why I have always believed that the 'heirarchial' politics in the medical field is really BS. Everyone's role is important, from the physician to the janitor who mops the joint. If any one group stops working it wont be long before the whole operation comes to a standstill. And this goes out to everyone out there with thier noses in the air who think its cool to bash nurses and other non-physicians.

If the stress was all there was to be concerned about it wouldn't be half bad. Some of the conditions that nurses are being forced to put up with are just downright dangerous. The administrators know it and most of them don't care. I was once floated to a med surg floor and one of my 13 patients began to go bad. Chest pain, racing heart rate, SOB, all the classic symptoms of you know what. Most places have a chest pain protocol. This particular joint did not. According to them, you can't even put O2 on the patient without an order. Called the in-house hospitalist and got a stat order to give O2, SL nitro, and push IV Cardizem and start a drip---on a med surg floor. That hospitalist was a demon. No orders for cardiac enzymes, no cardiology consult. Those of us who know the game know what happens next... All they intended to do is temporarily resolve the chest pain, patch up the patient, and then quickly d/c him back to skidrow before it occurs again---a practice the hospitals are still engaged in. (The Kaiser hospitals in California have been busted several times for doing this. In one case, the ambulance was caught red-handed dumping patients on the street, still wearing the hospital gowns and with the hospital ID bracelet still on thier arms.) I refused to give the cardizem off-monitor, and the charge nurse went in there and gave it herself---no consideration whatsoever for the safety of the patient, all because the patient was an indigent with no insurance and they didn't want to move him to a tele bed.

Same day, in addition to my 13 patients, I had to cover an LVN who gave PO PRN lorazepam to an aggitated and confused patient with respiratory issues. The patient went into failure and almost didn't survive the code, and because I was covering her assessments I had to do all the paperwork about the sentinel event. Then there are the noncompliant patients who refuse treatment and develop complications, the ones who decide to leave AMA, the CHFers who sneak out of their rooms to buy drinks from the vending machines and fill up till they can't breathe, the family members who sneak in food and give it to patients who are supposed to be NPO, the chest pain patients who sneak outside to smoke cigarettes, the druggies who always have pain of "10" even though you just loaded them up with dilauded. The morbidly obese patients with huge decubiti on their butts but they can't move and there's no one to help you turn them so you can dress the wounds. I could go on.

I sometimes envy the physicians because they don't have to hear about or get involved in any of this crap. As nurses, we are generally not treated well by everyone. To survive in nursing nowadays you have to be tough, you have to be fast, and you have to really love what you are doing otherwise you will eventually burn out and quit. Everyone else in health care works with only one patient at a time---except nurses. But, once in a while, a patient or a family member will actually say 'thank you', and some are so appreciative that they even make special requests for you to be their nurse on the next shift.

But, its not all bad. Sometimes when you're working in a decent facility and you have a good team of nurses who work together, you can actually have a lot of fun, especially if you're working the night shift. The nurses and doctors on the night shift at my current gig are an awesome crew. Everyone helps everyone else, and even if we're in the middle of a code you don't feel the stress of it because people are cracking jokes even during the compressions and the intubation. And, you know what, our code team rarely loses a patient. I'm being long-winded, but my point is that although nursing isn't an easy job it can be interesting, and it can be fun---all depends on where you're working and who you're working with. Even some of the crabbiest doctors will eventually begin to respect you and trust your judgment once they get to know you and they know that you know your stuff. And it works both ways. I give them brief but accurate assessment details about their patients, they give me the prn orders and parameters I need, and then I don't have to wake them up in the middle of the night.

Maybe this post will help you in your decision making.

I just wanted to say "thank you" to John for taking the time to write the above post. It was very informative.

John--you wrote exactly what I ahve been feeling lately. What happened to our profession?

So, so true.

But on a positive note: yesterday I admitted a patient who came into the ED with abdominal pain. He was diagnosed last summer with pancreatic CA, now has mets pretty much everywhere, and began doing markedly downhill about a week ago. First, we got his pain under control. Before I called the covering physician to get admission orders, I did a thorough assessment, determined his home meds, and also discussed code status with the family. His wife was so worried that by making him a DNR she was giving up on him. I sat with her and explained that at this point, resuscitating him would only cause prolonged pain, if it was even effective. I explained how we would focus on making sure he is comfortable, and that it was okay to shift from fighting the cancer to letting go and finding peace. She made the decision (with her kids and what little the patient could participate) to have him be DNR. I transferred him to the onc floor.

Today I was taking another patient there, and stopped in to see this patient's family. His wife wanted to know if I had time to talk about something, so I sat down. She wanted to know what I thought about stopping IV fluids, starting a morphine infusion, as the physician had offered as a choice. I explained how as the body loses fluids and they aren't replaced, it's part of the natural dying process, it is less likely that excess fluids will collect around his lungs, and that a constant morphine infusion with prn boluses would keep his pain under much better control and reduce the ups and downs when the current medications wear off. She agreed. The patient is now DNR, no fluids, morphine IV, palliative care only.

And that, my friends, is why I am a nurse.

1. I already got into an accelerated BSN program

I think I read on another post that you will be completing a BS in Psycology in 2009?

I don't understand how you can already be accepted into an accelerated BSN program when you do not have a baccalaueate degree yet.

The school I teach at we would not even consider an applicant that had not met all admission requirements especially having a Bachelor Degree in another field. That's the first think we would look at.

Please explain. What school is this? I have perused many of your posts, Sounds like you are in Ohio, as you mention Case (Western Reserve) and Ohio State, your slogan is " Go Bucks" (Buckeyes)

Having part of the admissions committe for our traditional & accelerated & Master's Programs, I was amazed that some of the applicants were not qualified to even apply as they lacked basic requirements.

I have been a travel nurse for a while now, and there are many things about nursing that I like. But I decided on a change to premed back in '06 because, for me, nursing no longer provides the type of challenge that I need in a career. Almost every doctor that I've worked with during the past couple years has tried to discourage me from going to medical school...saying that its just not worth it anymore, that they aren't making the type of money they used to make, and that in years to come they are going to be making even less. But, for me, its not just about the money or the title. I actually love patient care, and becoming a physician would allow me to do more for my patients than I will ever be able to do as an RN. I even considered NP and PA, and would have been equally satisfied with either, despite the countless debates about the inferiority of mid-level practitioners.

One thing that I have really enjoyed about nursing is the hands-on connection with the patients and being totally involved in their treatment and recovery. I especially love the patient education part of it because I've worked with so many people who are scared and have no clue what's going on, and some of them really appreciate it when we take some time to talk to them and explain things without all the medical jargon. Its tough on the doctors, too. They have so many patients to see all over the place, and they just don't have the time to sit at the beside for 20 minutes to hold hands and talk to everybody.

Congrats in your decision to pursue medicine! However, considering that doctors have such a limited amount of time in seeing patients, I don't understand how becoming a physician would allow one to do more for his patients vs. to staying as an RN. It seems like you do are able to do so much for your patients as a RN. Did you always wanted to become a physician?

Thanks John...I've been feeling really burnt out lately...and you spelled out all the reasons why...

I love nursing...but I think I need to cut back my hours...I already quit coming in for OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love nursing...but I think I need to cut back my hours...I already quit coming in for OT.
The best thing I've done for myself lately was take a weekend-only position. The made that decision so that I could go back to school full time, but when I got there I began to enjoy nursing again. 24 hours per week is just the right amount at this point in my life. :thumbup:

I don't really want to live in CA. That state is either on fire, having an earthquake, mudslide or some other sort of natural disaster.

Liar!

You just don't want to work in the same state as Arrnnooolld "the Terminator".

The best thing I've done for myself lately was take a weekend-only position. The made that decision so that I could go back to school full time, but when I got there I began to enjoy nursing again. 24 hours per week is just the right amount at this point in my life. :thumbup:

Hmmm...something to consider. I don't know how I'm going to get this school gig done any other way. I'll be dead before I graduate at the rate I'm going.

Longtime lurker. Good info from all. I think John summed it up best for the OP. I wanted to add my 2 cents however. I completed an accelerated BSN and passed boards on minimum number of questions and had as much book knowledge as anyone. If you are committed to learning you can get what you need in a accel program. What you learn in nursing school is not rocket science. In fact, for the most part, it is not even science. Real learning comes on the job. That being said, I recommend to you and anyone considering a field like nursing or RT to shadow and talk to as many people as you can to get straight facts. Regardless of what anyone tells you the money is not great and the work can suck, to put it in terms everyone can understand. The people making $40 an hour or whatever are working agency. Where I work agency often get the worst of the worst, are called in then canceled on the way or sent home after a few hours on the job. Many of the nurses that have been at this facility >5 years get raises only when administration raises the entire pay scale. Most days i am running from one room to the next and spend my nights awake, fearing what I missed during the day. There is more to a job than a 3-day workweek and $20 or so an hour, so make your decisions wisely. I am not bashing nursing, I thank God every day for bedside nurses, but it is an often thankless, extremely difficult job, at best.

Unfortunately...I'm having a hard time. Last week I had a "gentleman" screaming and yelling at me that he "pays for better service than he's been getting", he didn't appreciate waiting to have his urinal emptied. Even though his call light rang to my cell phone, and I told him I would have someone else come in to take care of it, it's "my job" and he doesn't give a "da*n" about the pt that's in distress" he "doesn't need to hear about other peoples' problems".

I was sorely tempted to dump said urinal on his head...but was much to busy taking care of pt having acute MI and getting her ready to go for a STAT balloon angioplasty before she coded, she's still in the ICU.

Pt's requesting to have their PCA's discontinued and the MD's doing it so that they can have fentanyl IV push q 1 hour instead. HELLO the only difference is that instead of getting 12.5mcg q 15 min, he's getting 50 mcg in one really big push so he can FEEL HIGH.

The best sign I was going to have a bad night. Coming up the elevator in my outdoor jacket, my purse and lunch kit hanging off my shoulder, a family member asks me "so how's my Dad been doing?". I look at them and say, "I'm sorry, I wouldn't know, what floor and room is he in, and maybe I can ask at the desk for you." "so WTF, you've been at lunch all day, does anyone in this place effin work?". "I'm sorry, my shift doesn't begin for another 20 minutes, I'm just coming in from home, I was just trying to be helpful".

Yep...somedays I really wonder why I love nursing.

The best sign I was going to have a bad night. Coming up the elevator in my outdoor jacket, my purse and lunch kit hanging off my shoulder, a family member asks me "so how's my Dad been doing?". I look at them and say, "I'm sorry, I wouldn't know, what floor and room is he in, and maybe I can ask at the desk for you." "so WTF, you've been at lunch all day, does anyone in this place effin work?". "I'm sorry, my shift doesn't begin for another 20 minutes, I'm just coming in from home, I was just trying to be helpful".

Slacker. You actually went home?

The nursing profession itself has changed. The Nightingale-esque type of nursing is long dead, and so are all the glorious nursing care models dreamed up by brilliant nursing visionaries and theorists like Drs. Watson and Leininger. Nursing is no longer about physician support, or safety, or even actual patient care. Now its all about 'customer service' because the hospitals now view patients as 'clients', and we are expected to act as their maids instead of professionals who are there to coordinate and execute the physician's medical care plan. Hospital administrators are aggressively cutting back on everything to make more profit for their shareholders, and they are forcing us to work short-staffed with more and more patients, limited or no supplies with basic things like machines to check vital signs, scales to do daily weights, and sometimes even supplies to do dressing changes. Sometimes we're lucky if we can even find a pitcher to bring the patients some water to drink. We are forced to work with lots of outdated and broken equipment, many of which get repaired only when they know that the Joint Commission inspectors are coming.

Then there is the ever-increasing amount of paperwork that we are expected to do. And, on top of it all, we stand directly in the line of fire---taking all sorts of verbal and physical abuse and threats from some family members, doctors, the patients, and even the administrators themselves.
Some days the crap hits the fan, and you have to constantly be re-prioritizing everything, not just for one patient but for all of them simultaneously. The physicians don't call back when you page them with critical labs or to clarify orders or to get new orders; or they call back with a nasty and sarcastic attitude because they would rather not be disturbed (but guess what, if we don't call to report those critical labs, or changes in the patients' status, or to get that order, then the patient ends up either in trouble or dead, and all our asses get sued.) Radiology is calling because they've decided to send for the patient now even though the scan was scheduled for three hours from now, The OR is calling because the surgery schedule got changed and they want the patient prepped and sent now, the ER is calling to give report on a new admission that's on the way to the unit right now, the family members are yelling at you because they are unhappy about one silly thing or another, a surgeon suddenly shows up and demands that you drop everything right now to get supplies to assist him bedside with a procedure, the lab is calling because the specimens that were sent down by the previous shift were either contaminated or hemolyzed and they need new ones (only, there's no phlebotomist and no tech to get the specimens so you have to get the equipment and do it yourself), a doctor is on the phone with stat orders (but there's no secretary to enter the orders so you have to take them off yourself) and then execute them right away, you have a confused patient---big fall risk--- but the hospital has a policy against using restraints and there is no sitter available so of course the patient falls and you have a ton of paperwork to fill out afterwards, your tele patient suddenly goes into V-tach and before you know it you have a code blue on your hands. It gets old. Everybody wants a piece of you, and no matter what you do or how fast you run you just can't do it all at once unless you have top-flight time management skills---especially if you're juggling a dozen or more patients on a med surg floor. A nursing shortage exists not because there aren't enough nurses around but because more and more of us are getting tired of the abuse and the stress and are leaving to pursue other careers. I chose to stay because despite all the madness, I still love it.

So what if we have to wipe incontinent butts, burp colostomy bags, clean up urine, vomit and blood, and clean and dress infected and disgusting looking wounds? I don't even think about those things when I do them anymore. Rather than turn up my nose or make a face, I perform the tasks quickly and in a way that maintains the patients' dignity. Anyone who looks down on nurses for doing these things is an idiot because they are just as important to the patient as performing diagnostic tests or writing orders for treatments and medications. We not only have to clean up body fluids, but also assess them for clues that help physicians with their diagnostic workups. Our report of the odor, color, and consistency of that poop may be the physician's first clue of a GI bleed. The pink tinge in that urine may be the first clue of renal problems or the need to more closely monitor patients who're on anticoagulants, etc. Besides, everybody poops, pees, pukes, and bleeds; and if and when some people ever find themselves so sick that they can't even clean themselves, perhaps then they'd have a little more respect for the nurses who are there doing it for them. This is why I have always believed that the 'heirarchial' politics in the medical field is really BS. Everyone's role is important, from the physician to the janitor who mops the joint. If any one group stops working it wont be long before the whole operation comes to a standstill. And this goes out to everyone out there with thier noses in the air who think its cool to bash nurses and other non-physicians.

If the stress was all there was to be concerned about it wouldn't be half bad. Some of the conditions that nurses are being forced to put up with are just downright dangerous. The administrators know it and most of them don't care.

Yep I agree with everything this JohnFlo says. Including the rest that I did not quote. I have been a nurse for 30 years and yes it has changed dramatically. The patients that would not have survived 15 years ago are now in the ICU, the patients that were in the ICU's 15 years ago are now on the med-surg floors. I have been working as an agency nurse and am usually given 9-10 patients. I feel sorry for the new nurses that I am helping to educate. I asked one group (it was half the class-there were 35 students & not One is going into med-surg if they can help it. "Med surg is awful" was the common response.)
Computerized documentation systems are another monster that has developed. I have only seen 2 software products that actually were practical from the bedside nurse point of view. For the OP, please read the reply from JohnFlo6 very carefully. I love nursing and direct patient care, but my aging body can not handle 12 hour shifts that turn into 14 & 15 hour shifts too often. I float to a rehab hospital and the physical requirements to do that type of nursing are tremendous. TBI's/young adult paraplegics, strokes who have tubefeeds/meds need to be crushed/pressure ulcers/wound vacs/PICC lines with umpteem antibiotics. And the admin/bean counters who refuse to acknowledge the current situation but are always coming up with new policies that require the staff nurses to do more inane paperwork. I am frequently harrasesed to not put in overtime, yeah right like I don't need to go home and sleep after 13-14 hours!!!!

SailorNurse, MSN, FNP, BC:eek:

I can never think that fast. :laugh:

Ever worked in the ED? If not, I can guarantee you, a couple months there and you'll be a pro at the snappy retort, even if you're not a cynic by nature. Come on, you need to release your "inner snark." You know you have it in you.

Ever worked in the ED? If not, I can guarantee you, a couple months there and you'll be a pro at the snappy retort, even if you're not a cynic by nature. Come on, you need to release your "inner snark." You know you have it in you.
I work in a sub-unit of the ED, and spent three years in OB, which is a surprisingly similar environment. I just don't have the gift. :laugh: Actually, you know what my problem is? My brother got all the quick-wittedness that was in our gene pool. He's amazing--never met an insult he couldn't match. I can be amazingly snarky when I have time to think about it first. :oops:

I work in a sub-unit of the ED, and spent three years in OB, which is a surprisingly similar environment. I just don't have the gift. :laugh: Actually, you know what my problem is? My brother got all the quick-wittedness that was in our gene pool. He's amazing--never met an insult he couldn't match. I can be amazingly snarky when I have time to think about it first. :oops:

What you need to do is start building up a cache of acerbic asides for future reference. Then, viola! At just the right moment, you'll have the perfect retort!

What you need to do is start building up a cache of acerbic asides for future reference. Then, viola! At just the right moment, you'll have the perfect retort!

But if you get out of nursing you won't need them...:D

I don't really want to live in CA. That state is either on fire, having an earthquake, mudslide or some other sort of natural disaster.

You mean, like...?

arnold_schwarzenegger.jpg

:laugh: And all the more reason to stay in Wisconsin.

The patients that would not have survived 15 years ago are now in the ICU, the patients that were in the ICU's 15 years ago are now on the med-surg floors. I have been working as an agency nurse and am usually given 9-10 patients.
SailorNurse, MSN, FNP, BC:eek:

I was just quoted this at a workshop this week.

It drives me crazy...if these pt's qualified for the ICU 15 years ago, then why are they on a medsurg floor with staffing ratios the medsurg floor used 15 years ago!!! It's not logical. There have been studies after studies ad nauseum that if you increase RN to pt ratio pt morbity and mortality decreases, but you can't get management to see the bottom line. They just don't want to increase staffing.

May God continue to bless Nurses. They are the soft side of the Doctors treating patients.

I'm going the nursing route. Seem to be a lot of ways to go about it.

I have about 54 units of general education coursework.

I'm already working in home health care, and have an EMT-B license. Because I need to make a living wage immediately, I am getting my CNA, then plan to go to a one-year LVN program and work as an LVN.

I can work as an LVN and make a reasonable income (not as good as an RN obviously, but at least what I made working in the dotcoms in my early twenties) even working part-time, with hours I can set. Then I can do whatever I want, whether it's get a BSN or even a degree in something else, and I can even do prereqs and go to med school if I want.

Certainly beats flipping burgers while in school.

Nurses make about 62k starting in NYC so 40ish dollars an hour anywhere else is pretty good.

Yes, because physicians are cold and uncaring, and never have to have the hard conversations with patients. :rolleyes:

Honestly, do you really have to tear down your coworkers to raise yourself up?
Agreed.

I am graduating 2009 too and I cannot wait to move ahead. I want to be a Nurse Practitioner.

Tired,
I do not have to tear down anyone to make myself look good. My self confidence is way, way, above you. This is a fact, some of these Doctors are not good enough to treat the dead on board. I have seen doctors see their patients in pain and do nothing about it. Some of them can really be monsters but those are the minority. The majority is quite receptive and caring.

Guess what? I've seen just as many indifferent nurses as I have seen doctors. Nurses are not the soft side of doctors--that's insulting to both professions. We have different roles within health care, and we are much more effective with mutual respect, cooperation, and keeping our noses out of the air.

Guess what? I've seen just as many indifferent nurses as I have seen doctors.

I've been places where the indifferent nurses outnumber indifferent docs. I agree, this whole line about nurses be more caring than docs is just plain insulting all around.

I knew I would be slaughtered for my critique but that is okay. One has a right to agree and to disagree. I have worked with many Doctors in my present position and sometimes I am in tears for those patients who are treated like dirt because they have no insurance. However, I guess, I am the only one who sees disrespectful behavior and injustice in the health care profession.

I am graduating 2009 too and I cannot wait to move ahead. I want to be a Nurse Practitioner.

Oh. Because being "just a nurse" is soooo beneath you.

You haven't even been a licensed nurse yet, Julie, yet you make all these sweeping statements about the nursing profession and about physicians. How about getting some experience in the real world before you presume to judge?

Please do not judge me. You do not know my qualification. I have two sisters and a brother who are competent doctors and they do not behave as irrational as you. Anyway, I guess you are from a different end of society.

Maybe you would make sense if you knew a little more about sentence construction.

Please do not judge me. ............ Anyway, I guess you are from a different end of society.

:confused:Wha-Wha-What?? Don't judge me.. you are from a different end of society??

Also, the people you are related to, are not your qualifications.

Maybe you should find something else to do and butt out! These people are my brother and sisters and you are nothing but an educated fool based on your sense of reasoning.

I knew I would be slaughtered for my critique but that is okay. One has a right to agree and to disagree. I have worked with many Doctors in my present position and sometimes I am in tears for those patients who are treated like dirt because they have no insurance. However, I guess, I am the only one who sees disrespectful behavior and injustice in the health care profession.
What I have seen is doctor's, nurses, and social workers bend over backwards trying to find ways to find ways to finance treatment for pt's who have true physical/medical problems and no insurance. What I also see is a lot of people who think that they are being discriminated against when they are not. If my insured noncomplicated influenza does not require hospitalization, would her noninsured noncomplicated influenza require hospitalization? Or do they both require rest, anti-pyretics, and plenty of fluids (granted that both pts are otherwise healthy individuals in their late 20's, early 30's, both with stable VSS, no respiratory compromise.) Me and her sat side by side at my MD's urgent care center, yet she screamed the only reason she was not being admitted was because she didn't have insurance.

On every pt that is admitted to the hospital, the discharge process is begun and every pt is asked if they anticipate any needs/assistance after discharge so that we can start looking for assistance NOW in case they do not have insurance. You will find this out once you finish nursing school.

Telenurse,

For many reasons I do not agree with you. I have seen uninsured patients being discharged with complications that are known to the PCP and consultants and they die. Some of the doctors I call ask if the patient has insurance, if not they deny the consults. Not all but most patients I have seen at the hospital without insurance are treated like dirt. The nurses are big advocates for these patients. Furthermore, some of these case managers do not care, they depend on other people to do their jobs. I have one here which cause me to feel nauseated when she speaks to the families. She is certainly a piece of work. I told her earlier that I am not here to do her job and she should concentrate on what she is doing instead of blabbing about her personal life. Her main job here is to play with her hair. I just hate to see injustice. People ought to be treated with respect no matter where they are socioeconomically. One never knows, he might find himself in that same position one day. Life is cycle, what goes around comes around.

Sorry I missed the Julie show today, but I had to work. Didn't have time to spend "trolling" the internet. I had patients to see, orders to write for the unit clerk to take off. Nurses to talk to about patients, as they are with the patients more than I am, and I value their expirience, and opinions. Come to think about it, I have never asked a unit clerk for medical advice, even if they have family that are actually healthcare providers. Hmmm?

Eventually there will be two kinds of healthcare providers, Julie and those of us that wish we were Julie..:love:

Long live Julie, she is the light at which all providers should bask.:love: