~~~~~ Nsu - Com Class Of 2009 ~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wizzo said:
hey Robz...since you are spewing out the info....is it too early to be buying any books? I gave the Stickyboy guide a breeze the other day and found all the text books talked about on amazon, but I'm not so hot about buying right now since new editions might be coming out...I'm not wanting to buy so I can study, but rather since I have the money right now and instead of drinking it all away, thought I'd put some of it to good use.
Just to let you know, I didn't buy a single book this year and got through everything just fine.....the notes they give are usually sufficient. I would buy cheap board review books as a supplement instead of buying the expensive text book. A lot of people will tell you to buy this or buy that.........but honestly, unless u like to learn from the textbook, it's not worth it. so i say drink and smoke your money away.........

oh yeah, I never bought any tools for our clinical course either, i just used my friend's stuff whenever I needed it, that saved another 6-800 dollars also.

Members don't see this ad.

Hoody is right about the books. Wait until you find out which ones you need. For me I had a rohens and (free) netters for anatomy. I also bought the text of physical diagnosis as well but if you see the clinical practicum notes that were given to HOMSA then you don't need to read that unless you want to. I liked the book but really those notes were complete. Almost everything is given to you in note packets and all the info is from there and you can get by with that. I ended up reading a few books in the library and buying what I found I was reading all the time.

Two books I couldn't have done as well in school without are Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple and Physiology by Costanzo (the big book but the review is ok too)

as for equipment? I dunno if I advocate not buying equipment. I guess you can get away with it like hoody. Personally, I used my stethoscope a bunch in my IGC. I used almost everything in my bag during my medical mission to peru. I used my bag when studying for my SPE's. I didn't want to have a situation where I relied upon someone elses equipment and they take off, go study on their own, or get in a pissing match with me over something stupid (enter girls or alcohol here)

Yeah its true that the equipment is around 500-800 dollars but I am happy with most of mine. I have no idea exactly how clinical proedures or the SPE stuff for next year works. I do know we not only end up doing exams on people where we have to figure out what is wrong but then we have to write up H&P's on them in a timed manner.

Robz said:
I got my money as a M1 the first week in august cause I had all my paperwork in and done with no problems....That is also when they decide on in state vs out of state.

Rent's due Aug 1st...first day of school. I guess I'll have to live in an almost empty place for a lil while longer. But it's all good cuz I'm gonna be a doctor! :D

Karina

Members don't see this ad :)
Karina said:
Rent's due Aug 1st...first day of school. I guess I'll have to live in an almost empty place for a lil while longer. But it's all good cuz I'm gonna be a doctor! :D

Karina

I bought an entire bedroom set from Rooms2Go and I don't have to make any payments on it (at 0% interest!) until January of next year!!! There's usually a lot of deals like this going around during the summer...shop around the many furniture stores. :thumbup:

Robz said:
Hoody is right about the books. Wait until you find out which ones you need. For me I had a rohens and (free) netters for anatomy. I also bought the text of physical diagnosis as well but if you see the clinical practicum notes that were given to HOMSA then you don't need to read that unless you want to. I liked the book but really those notes were complete. Almost everything is given to you in note packets and all the info is from there and you can get by with that. I ended up reading a few books in the library and buying what I found I was reading all the time.

Two books I couldn't have done as well in school without are Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple and Physiology by Costanzo (the big book but the review is ok too)

as for equipment? I dunno if I advocate not buying equipment. I guess you can get away with it like hoody. Personally, I used my stethoscope a bunch in my IGC. I used almost everything in my bag during my medical mission to peru. I used my bag when studying for my SPE's. I didn't want to have a situation where I relied upon someone elses equipment and they take off, go study on their own, or get in a pissing match with me over something stupid (enter girls or alcohol here)

Yeah its true that the equipment is around 500-800 dollars but I am happy with most of mine. I have no idea exactly how clinical proedures or the SPE stuff for next year works. I do know we not only end up doing exams on people where we have to figure out what is wrong but then we have to write up H&P's on them in a timed manner.

oh i forgot to add and as robz kinda mentioned, a lot of the books are in the library so when the time comes u can usually check them out or read them there.

also, as far as a stethoscope, u should for sure buy one. that's the only thing i bought. i just figured during rotations they provide everything for you. but a lot of people like having there own equipment. anyway, physio final in like 7 hours, i need to sleep, ugh school is lovely.

I know Polo Glen has been discussed before but I couldn't find it. Anyone moving/living there? Me and bro put a security deposit down at Sunforest, and frankly I am tired of the waiting to see if I am going to have a roof over my head BS :mad: . I want to know I have a place to go, and Polo Glen has been extreamly helpful. Any info to help me sway into a decision on waiting longer or telling Sunforest to pound sand would be helpful. The rent there is steep but is it worth the extra, plus they seem very pet friendly. Also how far is Polo from school? I am freaking out not having a place lined up!!!!!!! :scared: :scared: :eek:

Thx

JUst wondering if any of you have recived any information regarding your financial aid award. MY application ahs been complete for two months and I do not any information. Let me know if you ahve recieved it.

Go on webstar our budget is up :eek: :eek:

Doc 2b said:
Go on webstar our budget is up :eek: :eek:
It was higher than I expected, that means I'm eligable for more money than I though I would be (on top of my military scholarship) irregardless of how some of the monies from the AF are categorized.

Where has everybody been. I just pulled us off the 3rd page! Do we only have 68 people in our class, I just checked out the Facebook again and nobody new has posted. For all of you that haven't signed up,

www.thefacebook.com

Group - NSU-COM Class of 2009

Only 2 mos!!!! ;)

HoodyHoo said:
Just to let you know, I didn't buy a single book this year and got through everything just fine.....the notes they give are usually sufficient. I would buy cheap board review books as a supplement instead of buying the expensive text book. A lot of people will tell you to buy this or buy that.........but honestly, unless u like to learn from the textbook, it's not worth it. so i say drink and smoke your money away.........

oh yeah, I never bought any tools for our clinical course either, i just used my friend's stuff whenever I needed it, that saved another 6-800 dollars also.
whats a couple hundred if ur payin 30 somethin thousand in tuition?

Doc 2b said:
Where has everybody been. I just pulled us off the 3rd page! Do we only have 68 people in our class, I just checked out the Facebook again and nobody new has posted. For all of you that haven't signed up,

www.thefacebook.com

Group - NSU-COM Class of 2009

Only 2 mos!!!! ;)

Okay, added myself to yet another match/hookup/friend blogging site....how will I keep them all straight? :laugh:

I tried to join the group, but either I have to be approved to join the group or I'm just not doing it right.

Members don't see this ad :)
pnjbijadu said:
whats a couple hundred if ur payin 30 somethin thousand in tuition?

its not an issue of being cheap or what not, it's more like if you're actually going to read it. too much extraneous info that the prof's arent going to ask q's on.

i can count the number of useful books with half digits on my left hand.

I'm an NSUCOM med student leaving for rotations in July and the landlord asked to post that the apartment will be for rent as of July 1, 2005. It is a 2/2, tiled floors. bedrooms have wood floors. It is on the second floor corner unit with a great view to the Golf course. Been living here for the first 2 years of med school. It is literally 5 min drive to NOVA. It is on the south side of I595 so never any traffic. It is located @ 9421 Evergreen Place and rent will be $1100/month and includes water and cable. Call the owner (Johana Galvis) (954) 499-1035. Or if you any other info feel free to contact me @ [email protected].
Thanks,
Chris

Fin-Nor said:
its not an issue of being cheap or what not, it's more like if you're actually going to read it. too much extraneous info that the prof's arent going to ask q's on.

i can count the number of useful books with half digits on my left hand.

thos couple hundred's I didn't use in a book (or saved by getting it used or "borrowing" from someone) could buy you food for a month when you're a poor med student :(

Karina

Pegasus52082 said:
I bought an entire bedroom set from Rooms2Go and I don't have to make any payments on it (at 0% interest!) until January of next year!!! There's usually a lot of deals like this going around during the summer...shop around the many furniture stores. :thumbup:

Yeah, that sounds good and all. But I still have to pay it back! :p I'm working right now...so I'm aiming at furnishing my place with the money I am saving...it's coming along fine. But I know I'm gonna use some loan $$$ to buy some stuff.

It's gonna feel soooooooo weird not having my income after all this time of working and having my own cash! :( I mean..school's gonna be my full-time job now...my only job :p

Karina

After 14 years of military service, today was my last day!!!! I traded it all in to join all the great people of NSU....and start my new career. See you all in a month.

Today was my first day of freedom because it was the first day in 6 years that I could actually say that I don't have a job, not one, not two, and not three! It feels great to know that my next actual job that I will be getting paid for will be as a Resident. It'll suck in two weeks when the pay checks stop coming in though, but I'll be in Florida by then so I'll just sleep my worries away on the beach or next to the pool.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I for one am taking full advantage of my two weeks left in my hometown, I never knew Scranton, PA could be so much fun.

I think those of us who regularly check out SDN should get the facebook conversations moved over here. I just find the conversations much easier to follow on SDN rather than the facebook, I like putting a face to the names though on facebook.

Well two weeks today I'll start my 21 hour drive to FL. See you all soon,

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee said:
Today was my first day of freedom because it was the first day in 6 years that I could actually say that I don't have a job, not one, not two, and not three! It feels great to know that my next actual job that I will be getting paid for will be as a Resident. It'll suck in two weeks when the pay checks stop coming in though, but I'll be in Florida by then so I'll just sleep my worries away on the beach or next to the pool.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I for one am taking full advantage of my two weeks left in my hometown, I never knew Scranton, PA could be so much fun.

I think those of us who regularly check out SDN should get the facebook conversations moved over here. I just find the conversations much easier to follow on SDN rather than the facebook, I like putting a face to the names though on facebook.

Well two weeks today I'll start my 21 hour drive to FL. See you all soon,

Sharon Lee

Awesome! I can't wait until I'm a free woman, too! And noooo! I am NOT dumping the boyfriend! ;) My last day at work is July 15th. A girl quit earlier this month and my boss sent her home early with pay...I am kind of praying she'll do the same with me, but since that girl left...we're short on staff...so I don't think it's gonna happen!
Anyways, I will have 2 weeks to party...maybe rest :p And then start kicking butt! :)

See ya soon!

I'm impressed--I was gone for a month, and on 10 posts were posted in this thread....Hope everyone had a good start to their summer.

If anyone wants a Histology atlas let me know i'll sell them for cheap (like $20). I may have some other subjects too to get rid of but haven't really checked. I think I may also have some of my histology DVD's (which you pay $35) from last year which are the only way to go for studying for the histo practicals. I'll be looking to give these away for free to the first person who wants them. I can't stand having them in my DVD collection any longer :eek:

edit: also i have a high-yield biochem and a high-yield gross anatomy for 10 bucks a piece.

email me at [email protected]

hey man this site is quite, there hasn't been a post since school started, so I know it's not just the anatomy test. Guess facebook put the brakes on this site.

I'm still dedicated to SDN. :-D I still come here to read the mil stuff and just keep up on whats going on @ the other osteopathic schools...

kaikai128 said:
I'm still dedicated to SDN. :-D I still come here to read the mil stuff and just keep up on whats going on @ the other osteopathic schools...

I think you're just addicted to your laptop, girl! ;) Let's hope Rita doesn't mess our schedule even more! :(

Karina

Anyone else looking forward to a weekend without a test looming! :scared:

Yeah, When is that...Thanksgiving??? I know it's sometimes in November. In the end, I suppose this is still better than "blocks"

November 14th, my dear. Our first Monday without a test! What a Monday it will be!

Sharon Lee said:
November 14th, my dear. Our first Monday without a test! What a Monday it will be!

I believe we have an 80's party planned for that day as well....open "beverages" :)

Robz said:
I believe we have an 80's party planned for that day as well....open "beverages" :)

I plan on driniking enough to kill a horse! Trying to develop some portal htn early on, figure might as well get it over with. Hey Robz, any chance we could get a working TV in the student lounge?

Doc 2b said:
I plan on driniking enough to kill a horse! Trying to develop some portal htn early on, figure might as well get it over with. Hey Robz, any chance we could get a working TV in the student lounge?

It has already been addressed. The HPDSGA is working on it. Hopefully soon. :)

soon means 2020. nova can sure take your money, but them fixing things for students? forget about it.

nah when it comes to recreation and things like tv's or ping pong ball for the lounge they are all over it.

Wow it's quiet, Black October shut everyone up. Good luck with Physio.

WOW That test sucked (in a good way)! Anyone else think that Mayrovitz needs to start passing out KY with the scantrons, is anyone else here?

Doc 2b said:
WOW That test sucked (in a good way)! Anyone else think that Mayrovitz needs to start passing out KY with the scantrons, is anyone else here?

I still refuse to check my grade....

kaikai128 said:
I still refuse to check my grade....

Don't be a chicken! I dare u...do it! Maybe you'll have a nice surprise like I did... ;)

Karina

Chicken!!!! It's in the books you might as well know what you got. All I have to say is I'm sick of Guts and Butts. If I never see the close up inside of a rectum again it will be too soon. Who knew dinguses were so complicated. We need to try get more of our class on here, no?

Doc 2b said:

Mayrovitz is confusing..he's got a malingnant personality to go with his absolute ambivalence towards his students and his job performance. Yuri isn't a bad teacher but his test sucked as bad as mayrovitz's...

I don't know about malignant as much as misunderstood. I rather like the chap. I don't know maybe I'm as malignant as he is. I love the way he stands up there and just blasts people for missing questions, that he calls simple, well some were. Then people try and argue with him! It would be hilarious if it didn't waste my time. I think I may be the only one that likes his test and lecture.

Doc 2b said:
I don't know about malignant as much as misunderstood. I rather like the chap. I don't know maybe I'm as malignant as he is. I love the way he stands up there and just blasts people for missing questions, that he calls simple, well some were. Then people try and argue with him! It would be hilarious if it didn't waste my time. I think I may be the only one that likes his test and lecture.

Misunderstood :wow: If you like to see people get blasted for not answering questions correctly you're going to absolutely love your clinical rotations. Although, I can promise you you'll be on the receiving end of a few of those "blastings" regardless of how smart you may think you are. The luxery of sitting in the back and keeping your mouth shut won't be afforded to you. You'll get called out in front of nurses and other students. Hopefully none of your fellow medical students will laugh at you if you don't answer correctly because that would truly be a "malignant" character trait.

I think you misunderstood me. That is something that I definitely don't like to see. However in this case it was deserved. People started asking questions and complaining about test questions when they prefaced the statement with, "I didn't study that section, but..." Then he just laid into them, it was hilarious. As far as setting in the back and keeping my mouth shut, I don't. I actively participate and I have recieved my share of tongue lashings in my life, most were warranted. BTW you seem to know a lot about third year rotations to be a second year! Sorry you didn't do so well in Mayrovitz class.

Doc 2b said:
I think you misunderstood me. That is something that I definitely don't like to see. However in this case it was deserved. People started asking questions and complaining about test questions when they prefaced the statement with, "I didn't study that section, but..." Then he just laid into them, it was hilarious. As far as setting in the back and keeping my mouth shut, I don't. I actively participate and I have recieved my share of tongue lashings in my life, most were warranted. BTW you seem to know a lot about third year rotations to be a second year! Sorry you didn't do so well in Mayrovitz class.

I think I understand what you talking about when classmates speak up without thinking. It happens in every class. The worst is when they don't understand something, then ask a more confusing questions to try to cover up their confusion while trying to sound insightful instead of just saying "I don't understand." If you did great on Mayrovitz's test congrats. If you can sort out that confusing mess you're in good shape.

It's amazing how much you learn between first year first semester to second year. Not just about rotations, but about medicine as a whole (speaking from experience). If you would like to see life as a rotating third year it's really easy. Ask debbie steinkolm (send an email cuz if you go up to her office you better pack a lunch you'll be there a while) to assign you IM with a doctor at Mount Sinai. Dr. Merlino is the residency director of the IM program and takes IGC students. Then go on rounds with him, his residents, and 3rd years. Since you're a first year you won't be pimped mercilessly but will see other get the smack down.

We'll agree to disagree about Harvey...He's an A**hole who like to **** on students. He tried to screw the class of 2007. He put together his "study questions" much like the one's you guys download off his website and SOLD them for 50.00 each. Well, of course his real test questions were very much like his "study questions." When he got wind that students were copying the CD he stood in front of them and threatened to get them expelled and his material is copywrited etc..Real A-hole move if you ask me...

Doc 2b said:

I think I understand what you talking about when classmates speak up without thinking. It happens in every class. The worst is when they don't understand something, then ask a more confusing questions to try to cover up their confusion while trying to sound insightful instead of just saying "I don't understand." If you did great on Mayrovitz's test congrats. If you can sort out that confusing mess you're in good shape.

It's amazing how much you learn between first year first semester to second year. Not just about rotations, but about medicine as a whole (speaking from experience). If you would like to see life as a rotating third year it's really easy. Ask debbie steinkolm (send an email cuz if you go up to her office you better pack a lunch you'll be there a while) to assign you IM with a doctor at Mount Sinai. Dr. Merlino is the residency director of the IM program and takes IGC students. Then go on rounds with him, his residents, and 3rd years. Since you're a first year you won't be pimped mercilessly but will see other get the smack down.

We'll agree to disagree about Harvey...He's an A**hole who like to **** on students. He tried to screw the class of 2007. He put together his "study questions" much like the one's you guys download off his website and SOLD them for 50.00 each. Well, of course his real test questions were very much like his "study questions." When he got wind that students were copying the CD he stood in front of them and threatened to get them expelled and his material is copywrited etc..Real A-hole move if you ask me...

iliacus said:

I didn't say I didn't think he was kind of and A hole. That we can agree on. As far as rotations, I have a very good grasp on that, for reasons I won't get into. Who would want to talke to Debbie anyway it'll take you 5 hrs. :laugh:

hey you all! i'm in too!
see you next year!

1 down 8 to go :scared:

I'm terrible. Rather than counting down days til finals are over, I am counting down til I can go home.

kaikai128 said:
I'm terrible. Rather than counting down days til finals are over, I am counting down til I can go home.

I am qounting down the days too. I just look forward to Dec 16 where I can drive up the turnpike and leave this semester behind!!! I am soooo over Gross.