~~~~~ Nsu - Com Class Of 2009 ~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know anything about Gardens At Nova. Came down this weekend and put an offer on a condo an it fell through, back to renting. Figured I would go with SUn Forest, nut wanted to check about this place first. BTW I have a pet.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is seriously interested in buying a condo around the area I can connect you with the realtor that I worked with. I am buying a two-bedroom about 5-6 blocks away in a great area. PM me if interested (only serious buyers please). Eveyone else , GOOD luck home hunting and hang in there we are almost there :thumbup:

i heard good things about cedar key.. so were getting a 2 bedroom there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be an MS-1 this year as well and I too am from Indiana. I will be living at Sun Forest Apts.

kaikai128 said:
Hello and welcome.

I am going to be a MS-1 next year and my roomate and I are both from Indiana. We are targeting to be about 10-15 minutes away from campus. During an analysis of factors that were most important to us in an apartment (that amazingly predicted our #1 choice in apts), the places closest to campus didn't even come up on our list of top 20 places to visit.

I'm going to quit mumbling now--welcome, it will be good to meet everyone next year. I can't wait for July1 to be here....(as that is when I will be in our new apt). :)

Kinjal350z said:
i heard good things about cedar key.. so were getting a 2 bedroom there!

Cedar Key is nice...I don't live there but squat out by the pool often. No driving to school is always a bonus.

Hi everyone!
I will be an M1 at NSU August 1st (and could not be more excited!). I am a Miami local and looking to move closer to school. If you are looking for a roommate...PM me! :p

I'll be 23 in September, I don't smoke, drink moderately, I'm serious about school, have no pets, and on occassion, I pick up my dusty acoustic guitar and start playing some tunes just to relax...

PM if you are interested!
Congrats everyone!
Karina

wow... today is april 12th! im moving down to ft. lauderdale from chicago on july 15th! the 3 month countdown is approaching, and i cant wait!

Karina said:
Hi everyone!
I will be an M1 at NSU August 1st (and could not be more excited!). I am a Miami local and looking to move closer to school. If you are looking for a roommate...PM me! :p

I'll be 23 in September, I don't smoke, drink moderately, I'm serious about school, have no pets, and on occassion, I pick up my dusty acoustic guitar and start playing some tunes just to relax...

PM if you are interested!
Congrats everyone!
Karina

Yes, we we're serious about school and moderate drinkers when we started.

Now we're serious about drinking and moderate about school :rolleyes:

CONGRATS CLASS OF 2009!!! It's "da brown from chi-town" here sayin wats up!

University Parc is another hot spot in terms location and it's only 2 yrs old and looks like an oasis on Nova drive...they are basically 2 bed/2 bath, 3 bed/2 bath...condos that people can buy/rent....they come with washer/dryer in-unit, pool, balcony and vaulted ceilings for those on 3rd floor!

If anyone has specific questions or need advise on classes or where to find stuff around the area...dont hesitate to ask....send me a private message or leave one on the board...

And here's a shot-out to all those comin down from chicago and the midwest...I'm lovin it!!! Drop me a line sometime...

that crazy, 2nd yr Indian guy...

Mani

MS-II
CLASS OF 2007 :) :cool:

Ca$h MaNi said:
CONGRATS CLASS OF 2009!!! It's "da brown from chi-town" here sayin wats up!

University Parc is another hot spot in terms location and it's only 2 yrs old and looks like an oasis on Nova drive...they are basically 2 bed/2 bath, 3 bed/2 bath...condos that people can buy/rent....they come with washer/dryer in-unit, pool, balcony and vaulted ceilings for those on 3rd floor!

If anyone has specific questions or need advise on classes or where to find stuff around the area...dont hesitate to ask....send me a private message or leave one on the board...

And here's a shot-out to all those comin down from chicago and the midwest...I'm lovin it!!! Drop me a line sometime...

that crazy, 2nd yr Indian guy...

Mani

MS-II
CLASS OF 2007 :) :cool:

Mani,
Are you missing the cold midwest weather :)
I am going to do a garage sale of all my winter jackets before I move out of Midwest :laugh:
Mandar

Just thought I'd get us on the 1st page again. Everyone has been so quiet. Who's ready to freakin' MOVE!? :smuggrin:

Nova FINALLY got it's own Facebook page this week!

Some of your Class of 2009 classmates are already on there....check it out!

nova.thefacebook.com :cool:

okay...so i think its about time to start thinking about our first party. I'm moving from Cali the last week of June, so I expect to be in town sometime after the 4th. That of course means that for the rest of the month, I've got nothing planned but the beach, the beach, oh, and maybe the beach. When is everyone else planning on moving?

Members don't see this ad :)
wizzo said:
okay...so i think its about time to start thinking about our first party. I'm moving from Cali the last week of June, so I expect to be in town sometime after the 4th. That of course means that for the rest of the month, I've got nothing planned but the beach, the beach, oh, and maybe the beach. When is everyone else planning on moving?

ill be there july 15th, which is when my lease is supposed to start at cedar key. i hate this waiting list bs.... i mean they guaranteed us an apartment would be available... but i wish it was more concrete. i would hate to get f'd over and have one not be available, and then have to find a place a month before starting school

wizzo said:
I defiantely think it is a good idea plan some get togethers before school starts. I will be done with my COT training June 30, and will be in FL the first few days of July. :) I can't wait to be out of here. :)

SOMA threw an osteoblast beach party last year with the m1's & m2's... they're prolly doing the same thing again.

kaikai128 said:
I defiantely think it is a good idea plan some get togethers before school starts. I will be done with my COT training June 30, and will be in FL the first few days of July. :) I can't wait to be out of here. :)
I know what you mean by being ready to start. I can't wait to quit my job. Hanging outside of my office is a count down of days that I have left.

Kinjal350z said:
ill be there july 15th, which is when my lease is supposed to start at cedar key. i hate this waiting list bs.... i mean they guaranteed us an apartment would be available... but i wish it was more concrete. i would hate to get f'd over and have one not be available, and then have to find a place a month before starting school

This is the first time I've ever heard of a waitlist for apartments. I guess being so close to the school they have a very steady source of tenants. Me and my roommate are supposed to get a place at Cedar key as well...if they don't contact us by the middle of May, we are going to search else where I think.

Kinjal350z said:
Maybe part of the waiting now is that they do not really know who is moving out. Most of these complexes require a 60 day move out notice. They likely are quite sure that they will have an apartment available by simply looking at past monthly move-out trends--but until it is within 60 days of you moving in, they won't know for sure what is available.

When we went down and looked at apartments, most of the 15 places we viewed were running between 95 and 100% capacity. They literally turn over tenents in a week. If you are looking to move mid-July...they should be able to tell you definatively by the middle of May what they have available. We are moving down earlier, so we actually found out a few weeks ago what units were available @ our complex.

we have a group on facebook (nova.facebook.com) for the NSU COM class of 09 students. go ahead and add yourselves to the group. the link is: http://nova.thefacebook.com/group_profile.php?gid=192

if that doesnt work, search groups and type: NSU COM - Class of 2009

if youre not on facebook, it takes like 3 mins to make a profile. check it out!

Hey Guys,

We have one room available for $435/month in a 3bedroom/2bath apartment at Palm Trace Landings beginning July 1st. Utilities will be split evenly. E-mail Karl ([email protected]) or Dave ([email protected]) if you have any questions. The address is:

6351 Palm Trace Landings Dr. Apt: 13-102
Davie, FL 33314

~Dave

What used to be a somewhat popular thread seems to have almost died. :(

I hope everyone is making big plans to enjoy their last few months of "freedom" for awhile. If anyone actively uses AOL IM--feel free to message me at the name listed on here.

T-62 days until I am in Florida! :D

Have a great weekend everyone!

Well it is that time of year when finals are around and most people are busting their hump. It will probably pick up as it gets closer toward August.

Also, no one on here is asking any questions. There are plenty of people around here happy to answer them but I am figuring that you haven't quite gotten to the point of getting them yet. I know I started asking all sorts of questions and stuff in the 2008 thread. So, if your wanting to charge the thread fire some q's! :)

Hello everyone....I was wandering for those who have finished the FAFSA are there any forms or anything else that NSU needs filled out..(have they sent anyting or processed anything)

..How long has all the Financial AID taken....I recently got in and havent even started on the FAFSA, so im behind, but from what I've been told theres no deadline and i could complete the FAFSA in june and still get aid....

Thanks

discover said:
Hello everyone....I was wandering for those who have finished the FAFSA are there any forms or anything else that NSU needs filled out..(have they sent anyting or processed anything)

..How long has all the Financial AID taken....I recently got in and havent even started on the FAFSA, so im behind, but from what I've been told theres no deadline and i could complete the FAFSA in june and still get aid....

Thanks

word of advice...do the fasfa...yesterday. You COULD wait till june I think but you COULD also get your money in October or later. I remembered that if I wanted to make sure I got my money on time I had to have it in and I even called the financial aid people to make sure I had everything right. I didn't want to be in a situation where I didn't have ANY money.

Robz said:
word of advice...do the fasfa...yesterday. You COULD wait till june I think but you COULD also get your money in October or later. I remembered that if I wanted to make sure I got my money on time I had to have it in and I even called the financial aid people to make sure I had everything right. I didn't want to be in a situation where I didn't have ANY money.

Robz,
I read somwhere on SDN from one of your classmates that NSU is thinking of making some changes to their attendance policy and dress code . Is that true???
If Yes, than are they thinking of reducing the number of hours students have to spend in classes or are they going to get rid of mandatory attendance policy.

Thanks.

Mandar

mandar said:
Robz,
I read somwhere on SDN from one of your classmates that NSU is thinking of making some changes to their attendance policy and dress code . It that true???
If Yes, than are they thinking of reducing the number of hours students have to spend in classes or are they going to get rid of mandatory attendance policy.

Thanks.

Mandar

attendance will always be here, but they are making it more slack on the punishments for missing class.

70-79% = u get a letter in the mail...(i believe)

deductions after that.

Just curious... does anyone know if NSU's attendance policy has always been there, or is it something that was just added recently?

mandar said:
Robz,
I read somwhere on SDN from one of your classmates that NSU is thinking of making some changes to their attendance policy and dress code . Is that true???

Thanks.

Mandar

The quick and dirty thing on our policies.

70% and above your golden.
60-70% you lose 2% points off that class
50-60% you lose 5% points off that class
49% and lower you fail that class

that's changed from last year and it actually is better.

the school looks down highly on people who scan and leave and even more on those that scan their friends in. I'll let others talk about that and if it happens. :)

Dress code is pretty much nonexistant right now. I am told they are going to be more vigilant on the dress for our class as m2's next year. With that being said I know the current m2s pretty much wore what they wanted except for test days. Take it as you will, we might be cracked down on but that also requires someone to watch all the time which doesn't really happen....we'll see.

point is thats our policy and it can be strictly reinforced at any time. As it is now many students are ok (heck even happy?) with school cause they can work around the attendace and dress codes. Happy and smart, which is how I like it.

Hopefully others can detail more about it than I.

Robz said:

the school looks down highly on people who scan and leave and even more on those that scan their friends in. I'll let others talk about that and if it happens. :)

Dress code is pretty much nonexistant right now. I am told they are going to be more vigilant on the dress for our class as m2's next year. With that being said I know the current m2s pretty much wore what they wanted except for test days. Take it as you will, we might be cracked down on but that also requires someone to watch all the time which doesn't really happen....we'll see.

point is thats our policy and it can be strictly reinforced at any time. As it is now many students are ok (heck even happy?) with school cause they can work around the attendace and dress codes. Happy and smart, which is how I like it.

RobZster, I agree. I for one am way more happy now than when we first had issues with attendance and dress code. But I think a lot of that might have to do with the fact that our first year is done in 2.5 weeks......at the same time, everything is lax, but who knows what they will do next year. I found that if you wear scrub bottoms, a t-shirt, and a white coat, they don't really notice anyway...I personally don't like the fell of scrub tops but a lot of other people do. i guess the only pain in the butt would be having to buy multiple pairs of scrubs. I did that and now I can't find half my pairs and they are all mixed up everywhere. anyway, i think as a class we are a lot happier now.

and i think you did a great job with the radiology issue. people are jackasses when they complain about you guys not working. i can just imagine how hard it would be to deal with the administrators(hence the reason I don't do it). :D

I'm a little sick of studying right now, so I'm taking a break to bring the Class of 2009 some of....

Greg's Scrub Fashion Tips
(should you decide to actually follow the dress code)

You'll want about 5 pairs of scrubs for med school at NSU, as this cuts down on your weekly laundry quite a bit. You may also want an extra pair exclusively for anatomy lab (they get smelly!).

Navy / Ceil Blue / Other Blues = These are the basic standard colors everyone gets. If you don't want to be noticed and like to blend in with the crowd, get a couple pairs of these.
Hunter Green = I would avoid this color. It is the required scrub for the first-year dental students (D1's), and since you will have several classes with them, well, you might be mistaken for the enemy.... :p (The D2's wear navy blue, and the D3's wear ceil blue)
Wine = Another pretty standard color; and just the name makes you think happy thoughts :)
Teal = This is the required color for the first-year optometry students (OD1's), but it's a nice color
Pink = Popular with many of the ladies; but not that common
Purple = A great choice, especially the Dickies brand
Black = These look really cool
Bright-Ass Yellow = If you're hungry for attention, this is the way to go.
Red = Again, great for being noticed by Dr. Dribin when you arrive to class late...
White = Please no, it looks so sterile....
Print Scrubs = Technically not allowed, but hey, who's watching?
All other colors = An even better choice; showcase your individuality :cool:

On a side note, after the first few weeks of school, you'll notice that about half the class wears a t-shirt with scrub pants. So you could save yourself some money and just buy pants in a particular color if you would like.

Places to get Scrubs:
allheart.com - probably the best value
Uniform Supply Store (in Plantation) - has a great selection, and you can try different varieties to see which are comfortable for you
NSU Bookstore - overpriced; not a good selection
SOSA Scrub Sale - DO take advantage of this sale, you probably got a flyer in the mail already; they have a surgical logo on them
Your undergrad campus - I have one pair of scrubs with my undergraduate school's logo on them; it's cool to show off where you're from :)

Happy scrub shopping!!!! :D

Robz said:

Thanks for the INFO.....It is real good to see that the rule has change from 80% to 70%....70% is certainly very reasonable and sound great....THank you all for the answers...BTW to all the current medstudents...do you all still love NSU!

One more question...How do they catch people scanning for other people and what is the penalty?

HoodyHoo said:
and i think you did a great job with the radiology issue. people are jackasses when they complain about you guys not working. i can just imagine how hard it would be to deal with the administrators(hence the reason I don't do it). :D

We all worked together to get it done, its the only honest fair way to do it plus you get exposed to radiology as well. Dr. Hasty (who took over) actually had a really good class last time.

oh, people are ummmm very interesting in our class. Lots of opinions. Lots.

Thanks bro for the cool words.

Greg I litterally laughed my ass off for a while on this. great guide. This was awesome.

Pegasus52082 said:
Pink = Popular with many of the ladies; but not that common
You forgot to mention your cool ass pink scrubs too....you pull it off boy.

Pegasus52082 said:
Bright-Ass Yellow = If you're hungry for attention, this is the way to go.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder who this is????

discover said:
One more question...How do they catch people scanning for other people and what is the penalty?

Lets see.....the only time there was an issue it was *OUR* fault. We talked smack (like hey I'm blowing this freaking class), scanned and left, and scanned multiple cards in..............ALL IN FRONT OF A DEAN that was giving the lecture for the day. Of course we're gonna get blasted. It was a dumb move...and I think our class will read closer when someone with a title is sceduled to give a lecture.

Penalty? Hmmmm. I'll put it in the exact words from Dr. Silvani (our dean). "you should only really worry when its like the 4th or 5th time cause then its a serious issue" Thats the quote from one of our dean's hour. With that being said they can technically bring you in front of the academic council cause to them scanning and leaving is academic fraud.

The class knows my opinion but I am more adament in having a happy **SMART** class. So far we have exceeded the expectations of a lot of people so they have been fairly cool to us. For the 2008'ers that was easily seen in some of our tests (like bacteriology).

Dr. Whitehead sent out an email saying that we can't wear scrubs with a hospital name on it. Is that true? I would think they would have to look pretty close to catch that one. If so I'm going to have to totally revamp my wardrobe

Doc 2b said:
Dr. Whitehead sent out an email saying that we can't wear scrubs with a hospital name on it. Is that true? I would think they would have to look pretty close to catch that one. If so I'm going to have to totally revamp my wardrobe

reread what hoody wrote....

I doubt they would take the time to search your clothes for labels unless its blatently obvious and your talking directly to administration.

Thanks Robz and all the other NSU 2008er's

Robz said:

mandar said:
Thanks Robz and all the other NSU 2008er's

Can someone please explain what the email from Dr. W (registration email) is about ....I mean it says that we should be getting info on registration soon but I was under the impression that we registar during orientation..

Thanks and good luck on finals everyone

discover said:
Can someone please explain what the email from Dr. W (registration email) is about ....I mean it says that we should be getting info on registration soon but I was under the impression that we registar during orientation..

Thanks and good luck on finals everyone

it will tell u what classes to sign up for and how to do in with webstar.

Might as well jump in on this thread. I'll be down in Ft. Lauderdale with the rest of the 2009'ers in mid July.

enjoy your July and go have some fun....

We'll be done with two to three classes by the time you all start :)

I'll be full of envy for those with time on their hands

Robz said:

On that note, does anyone know when funds will be available? I called FINAID and they said our program will be awarded this month or next. But I just wanted to know when our funds will be available. I am moving in July 10th and will pretty much have one month's rent in my pocket after I buy all the stuff I need to buy for my place...I just want to make sure I'd save some extra for a second month of rent in case we don't get awarded until after classes start or something....which would be really unfortunate :(

Karina

What do you guy's know about the insurance at the school. The email showed about 130 a month. I can get BCBS for 119. I'm trying to figure out what i should get. I have to have prescription coverage to cover my prevacid. What is the coverage like for drugs, how many services are available through the school, etc etc? Any M2's got any suggestions.

Hi Guys,

Just decided I am going to NSU. I got notified a few days ago that I was off of the waitlist. I'm excited! My AIM is NySpd360 , feel free to give me a holler, looking forward to meeting all of you. -- Ny

What's a good APR right now?

Karina said:
On that note, does anyone know when funds will be available? I called FINAID and they said our program will be awarded this month or next. But I just wanted to know when our funds will be available. I am moving in July 10th and will pretty much have one month's rent in my pocket after I buy all the stuff I need to buy for my place...I just want to make sure I'd save some extra for a second month of rent in case we don't get awarded until after classes start or something....which would be really unfortunate :(

Karina

I got my money as a M1 the first week in august cause I had all my paperwork in and done with no problems....That is also when they decide on in state vs out of state.

Doc 2b said:
What do you guy's know about the insurance at the school. The email showed about 130 a month. I can get BCBS for 119. I'm trying to figure out what i should get. I have to have prescription coverage to cover my prevacid. What is the coverage like for drugs, how many services are available through the school, etc etc? Any M2's got any suggestions.

Here is my .02

You need insurance.

This insurance is the minimum and as it stands only pays up to 500 in prescriptions. If you have a chronic medication that can be tanked easily.

You need medical protection on your insurance for needle sticks and such, especially during your 3rd and 4th years.

I'm going to look into other insurance for my 3rd/4th years but I need to make sure it has some of the medical stuff taken care of too.

Oh, and its like 1200-1500 a year I can't really remember I know I still owe them 750 :)

Hey all,

I hope your summer is going great and most of you have taken the time to start the process of getting your apartment settled out. I know on the 21st of May last year is when I got mine and the pickings were still there but going fast. I am sure you can still find stuff but I think I would recommend against coming in July and expecting cedar key or poinciana lakes unless you get lucky :)

Oh something else I wanted to bring up....(since I am procrastinating from studying my mycology) For those of you on loans, last year I found out in a fairly nasty way that the federal loans only cover around 38K. Since out of state tuition is around 30K this puts a serious cramp on you and it would for any school. I ended up taking out a 14K loan through accessgroup. Not advertising just saying...find the group thats best for you. I just found out in the middle of july that was my award and was quite shocked. I went to a state school before so I didn't know there was a limit on federal sub and non sub that they gave out. Now for my second year its 43K so I am actually not going to take out any private loans this next year. Something to talk to financial aid about if you were unaware like me.

Have a great summer and get ready for the fall its going to be great.

Oh, and if any of you need a futon couch, entertainment center, or TV gimmie a PM... :)

hey Robz...since you are spewing out the info....is it too early to be buying any books? I gave the Stickyboy guide a breeze the other day and found all the text books talked about on amazon, but I'm not so hot about buying right now since new editions might be coming out...I'm not wanting to buy so I can study, but rather since I have the money right now and instead of drinking it all away, thought I'd put some of it to good use.