NPs vs. MD's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know how NPs have managed to convince the public/government/licensing bodies that their joke of an education is anything close to adequate. I'm on an outpatient rotation right now. There's an NP here who has a NP student doing her "rotation" with her which involves coming in 2 days a week and following her around. Apparently the NP preceptor is her buddy and they mostly just sit in her office and chit chat and drink starbucks coffee. She did 1 year of online classes before this and will do 9 months of this same twice a week rotation before graduating. Oh and she sports a long white coat.

It just blows my mind that med students have to keep jumping through more and more hoops and exams to prove our competency and basically live and breathe medicine 24/7 during our clinical rotations, while NP school seems to be an extracurricular activity you do in your leisurely time. Why isn't there any regulation of this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to know how NPs have managed to convince the public/government/licensing bodies that their joke of an education is anything close to adequate. I'm on an outpatient rotation right now. There's an NP here who has a NP student doing her "rotation" with her which involves coming in 2 days a week and following her around. Apparently the NP preceptor is her buddy and they mostly just sit in her office and chit chat and drink starbucks coffee. She did 1 year of online classes before this and will do 9 months of this same twice a week rotation before graduating. Oh and she sports a long white coat.

It just blows my mind that med students have to keep jumping through more and more hoops and exams to prove our competency and basically live and breathe medicine 24/7 during our clinical rotations, while NP school seems to be an extracurricular activity you do in your leisurely time. Why isn't there any regulation of this?
"We cost less, and there can be a lot of us. Also we're probably okay at the clinical stuff."

I await when we can do a proper head-to-head study of NPs vs MDs with complete independent practice instead of MD supervision. It'll be too late to turn back the NP tide, but might be enough to tighten up standards when it's shown how bad their outcomes are compared to physicians.

Reactions: 1 user

It's infuriating to know these people have the same privilege with MD/DO in 20 states... In some cases, they have more privilege than physicians. You can't do anything these days with a GP license, but a NP with a lot less education can work in any setting...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's infuriating to know these people have the same privilege with MD/DO in 20 states... In some cases, they have more privilege than physicians. You can't do anything these days with a GP license, but a NP with a lot less education can work in any setting...

One of the medical consultant I worked with had to go back to do a preventive medicine residency, along with finishing his MPH to even get a medical consultant job. It's crazy, yo. He's probably making slightly more then the nursing consultant BTW.

Actually, it's 23 states. DO's took 100 years to get independent in all states. We're 50 years deep.

Hahah, yeah you wasted your time. Foresaw it. Physicians are not really surgeons anymore. "Physician and Surgeon." Gimme a break. Surgeons laugh at you guys.

One of the medical consultant I worked with had to go back to do a preventive medicine residency, along with finishing his MPH to even get a medical consultant job. It's crazy, yo. He's probably making slightly more then the nursing consultant BTW.
Of course. The nurse is much more intelligent. Physicians are known for being trapped in school and having very little knowledge outside biology. Patients hate that. Hence, NP.

Not a "troll" here, just have plenty of years experience as an NP, from a "real university", not some on-line thing, and have some thoughts/comments, for you to consider:

1. There is no doubt that MD students have much deeper & broader basic science training than any NP I have every known.
2. Big question.... do you really need all that biochem, histology, anatomy to treat sinusitis or DMII?
3. Most NPs, after several years "on the job" training, are quite compentent to handle otitis media, HTN, and the other "common cold" problems most pt's have.
4. If there is something we can't handle, most certainly refer these patients onto the MD/DO.
5. I really resent NPs who get their training from on-line programs. My school required first year chemistry and real organic chemistry as prereqs. Most programs don't.
6. There should be NO automous practice for any NP until the NP has 3 years experience, working collaboratively with an MD/DO.
7. Medicine is changing so rapidly. I see patients, do the same thing as the one MD in our office, and make 1/2 as much. Much of the move to NPs is driven by the insurance companies, and the very powerful nurses lobbies and associations. Nurses lobbies are as powerful as the NRA.
8. The paperwork, especially prior authorizations, is just plain crazy. If there is a generic alternative, the insurance company will "fight you" until you feel like just saying, "I give up".... even if the newer drug is better for the patient.
9. Burnout is a factor for both MD and NPs. Most I know are happy, but many are not. When you take a 1 week vacation, it takes 2 weeks to catch up when you return.
10. Pt's are more demanding now than ever. Be sure you name/phone/email is not publicly listed, although w/ EMRs, many patients can reach you through your practice portal.
11. NPs have no interest in doing surgery (although some do basic stuff in derm clinics), and we are pretty much limited to FP, Psych, Peds, and Women's Health.
12. I see many CT scans and MRIs going to Australia and Israel for interpretation..... cheaper! Avoid radiology like the plague.... as this is getting more common.
13. Most hospitalists are foreign trained, here on work visas, and most (in my experience at least) are lacking in interpersonal skills, and most seem unhappy.
14. And yes, I was admitted to 2 public MD schools, and one public DO school. 15 years ago I couldn't prescribe an aspirin, now I can (idependently) prescribe Percocet..... Medicine is sure changing, and just like everything, these changes are "cost driven".
****, I got into Stanford Medicine with a 40 on my MCAT and I rejected it. NP is far better.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1486228525.634255.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1486228525.634255.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 99

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 10.41.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 10.41.25 AM.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Why do people make new accounts and S***post like this? This is a pretty lame topic to troll.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Based on Magdalees post 7 years ago she is a 43 year old woman who was regretting becoming an NP. And she likes trolling pre-meds in the morning on Saturday. If that doesn't scream single for life, I don't know what does

I've seen many new NP grads complaining that they can't find a job because no one wants to hire someone who completed an online degree with the rigor of a senior year in high school and 400 hours of "clinical training." Once equal pay goes through, we're going to see a lot more posts like this.

I've seen many new NP grads complaining that they can't find a job because no one wants to hire someone who completed an online degree with the rigor of a senior year in high school and 400 hours of "clinical training." Once equal pay goes through, we're going to see a lot more posts like this.
Come on man. Those nursing theory classes are TOUGH! haha Especially once you get to Nursing Theory 4!! :nailbiting:

The Institute of Medicine found that NPs provide the same or better care than physicians. They're just pissed because they have more school, have to waste time in a residency, and still get worse outcomes. I wouldn't worry about it. I make nearly 400k as an NP, help tons of patients who love me, and don't deal with the fraternity hazing. Hahaha. Let them make lemonade, *****s. Most physicians are from foreign countries like Iran or India and can barely speak English. Their gold standard is over. No patient wants some brown-skinned ***** who barely passed the MSLE's, can't speak English, and got some **** residency. NP, son.
You voted for trump, didn't you?

Reactions: 1 users
As juvenile as madglee's troll posts are, this retort was pretty ineffective and lame.
'No patient wants some brown-skinned ***** who barely passes the MSLE's, can't speak English, and got some ****residency.'

You really think that's just a 'juvenile' comment!

Reactions: 5 users
'No patient wants some brown-skinned ***** who barely passes the MSLE's, can't speak English, and got some ****residency.'

Yeah, it's absolutely terrifying to me that people who speak this way - even on an online forum - are out there caring for patients.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Whats scary is that you can't recognize an obvious troll.

The entire NP-equality movement is just one big troll attempt headed by people who speak exactly like madglee does, notwithstanding the xenophobic parts

Nowhere in my post did I state or suggest that only one adjective could be used to describe the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.