Northwestern Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FrankGK said:
You should definitely come by! I actually moved in on June 1 as the two people I'm rooming with started their jobs in June (rooming with non med-schoolers, friends from undergrad). I've been fluctuating between there and my parents house in the burbs, but so far, I love Onterie!

hey do you know of any no minimum balance banks that are close to onterie?

pnasty said:
hey do you know of any no minimum balance banks that are close to onterie?

i suggest http://www.chase.com no minimum blanaces.

there are chase ATMs everywhere in chicago. there is a Chase ATM literally across the street from the onterie just inside the playboy building.

Members don't see this ad :)
THanks UCLA. I checked out Chase's webpage and the account they have listed says there is a $6 per month fee unless you enroll in direct deposit.....do you know anything about that?

pnasty said:
THanks UCLA. I checked out Chase's webpage and the account they have listed says there is a $6 per month fee unless you enroll in direct deposit.....do you know anything about that?

I do. My friend recently signed up with chase and told me that unless I had a job with direct deposit I would have to pay for checking. it sucks. but i am thinking I can figure out how to have direct deposit set up for money from the parents (like a dollar a month) to get around it. I'll let you know if it works.

Well I have an account at LaSalle right now, which I think I will just end up keeping then. It has no monthly fees or anything like that, but has a 250 minimum balance. I think it says online there is one .16 miles from onterie, so i guess that will work.

When I went to Chicago to find an apartment, I opened up an account with Citibank. Like most banks they have different levels of checking accounts, with better perks the higher a balance you keep. They do have a package though, for Northwestern students and employees that lets us get the checking account package that usually requires a $6000 minimum balance for no minimum balance or monthly fee. The package has lots of nice features, but Citibank doesn't have as many ATMs around as Chase does, so if that convenience factor is important to you, I would go with Chase.

Belleanon said:
I do. My friend recently signed up with chase and told me that unless I had a job with direct deposit I would have to pay for checking. it sucks. but i am thinking I can figure out how to have direct deposit set up for money from the parents (like a dollar a month) to get around it. I'll let you know if it works.

hmm..dunno...i read that too...alls i know is that i didn't have direct deposit when i initially signed up and it was completely free checking with no minimums. after about a year and a half in chicago i switch to direct deposit for my loans. but like i said...when i initially opened the account there were no fees and i wasn't direct depositing anything.

i suggest visiting the bank in person...chase seems like it has the most atm's around the streeterville area and has machines in the hospital and in prentice women's hospital and in children's memorial. i think it would be prudent to try and sign up with them. like i said...when i originally signed up ihad no fees no nothin and did not have direct deposit. times may have changed. i suggest speaking to a rep in person and see what they have to say.

pnasty said:
Well I have an account at LaSalle right now, which I think I will just end up keeping then. It has no monthly fees or anything like that, but has a 250 minimum balance. I think it says online there is one .16 miles from onterie, so i guess that will work.

0.16 miles during the chicago winters living right off of lake michigan may suck. ;) those 2.50 service fees can buy quite a few drink specials during post-test parties.

Punisher said:
How were we supposed to know about this webpage??? Did anyone get an email about it?

I sure didn't. I guess they are just banking on everyone reading SDN.

ultimateend said:
I sure didn't. I guess they are just banking on everyone reading SDN.

its not officially released yet. i talked to them. not all of the pages are done (ie the schedule for o-week is not up and the big sib survey doesnt work yet)

smidge said:
I don't want to cross the admissions lady or anything, but I believe we actually can get our student ID numbers now: log into CAESAR from the Infoplex page w/ your NetID and password. It should be there already....

Ya..you are right! They are ready if you log into CAESAR. Thanks for the information! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
luhando said:
its not officially released yet. i talked to them. not all of the pages are done (ie the schedule for o-week is not up and the big sib survey doesnt work yet)

Yeah it is. I did it yesterday.....

pnasty said:
Are you guys planning on doing th...n it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

i signed up for all the ones we can do online already, the retreat not yet because you have to send in a check i think

Punisher said:
Can we sign up for the events now?? or should we wait until they email us?

You can sign up for what ever's working online. Do it now....

keedz said:
You can sign up for what ever's working online. Do it now....

I signed up for all the ones I could, I'm guessing we'll get an email soon about them so might as well just do it now

So I know Northwestern is pass/fail, but does that mean that all you have to do is pass? Is there any difference in passing with a 70 or an 85? Is this noted on a transcript or is there honors or something like that? Someone told me that a lot of med schools say they are pass/fail but then have some other system of differentiating

Got an email today about that website about O-week and preparing for first year, so I am guessing everyone should know about it now...

pnasty said:
So I know Northwestern is pass/fail, but does that mean that all you have to do is pass? Is there any difference in passing with a 70 or an 85? Is this noted on a transcript or is there honors or something like that? Someone told me that a lot of med schools say they are pass/fail but then have some other system of differentiating

first 2 years is pass/fail. passing is scoring higher than 2 standard deviations below the mean for each exam.

3rd year becomes honors/high pass/pass/fail. 20% gets honors, 20% gets high pass, 60% just passes. really its third year that counts the most. the first 2 years the administration selects a certain number of people to get points towards AOA but the bulk of those points can be earned during the third year.

what does this mean for your question?

so basically...yes, all you have to do is pass the first 2 years. 3rd year is really what counts. now theoretically you can just pass third year as well...but come on...if you want to do neurosurgery you better make sure you honor surgery or at the very least high pass your surgery rotation. if you would like to do orthopedic surgery at university of washington or somethin...you better do well on your surgery rotation. if you would like to do internal medicine at hopkins for residency you better make sure you high pass and honor virtually all of your rotations. if you want to do an internal medicine residency at maine medical center you can probably get away with just getting pass on all your third year rotations.

any of the above make sense?

UCLAMAN said:
breakaway is tons of fun...assuming the rest of your classmates aren't a bunch of lamers. if the right mix of people signed on to be a part of the class of 2010 then it should be a fun filled weekend of bonding, flip-cup, beer pong, good ole fashioned bonfires geetar, swimming, star-gazing and scandal/class-cest/hook-ups.

well worth the $50 in loan money, even after you pay back the interest on it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Ours seems to be only a one-day thing. Did they change it from years past? We leave saturday morning and get back saturday evening.

wildcat05 said:
Ours seems to be only a one-day thing. Did they change it from years past? We leave saturday morning and get back saturday evening.

oh hmm...lame. yeah...used to be a weekend stay overnight thing. i am sure it will still be fun though.

anyone find a place where they list the places we get discounts at for being a feinberg student? somoene was telling me we get 23% on our sprint bills....

pnasty said:

PNasty, you can try Schwab, they have a bank at http://www.schwabbank.com/checking.do

Schwab just cut lots of their fees, and I think I'm going to go with Schwab. I already have my IRA and taxable brokerage accounts with them, and Schwab supports all the things that general banks do (direct deposit, overdraft protection, blah blah).

The greatest thing is you can use any ATM that is a member of the PLUS network (which is just about all of them) and you can withdraw funds from your Schwab bank account. And Schwab will reimburse you for the fee too - up to $35/month. So in essence you get free ATM usage unless you are pulling out $20 several times a month.

I'm going to go with Schwab Bank.

Finally got a place to stay. We are renting up in Lakeview, actually it might be Roscoe Village just due west of Lakeview. We are actually renting a house, not a condo. What a lucky find...it's got three stories, 4 bd, 1/5 bath, parking, a backyard with nice grass. Near Damen/Grace.

Anyway, my wife and I are really excited for this. We'll have poker/booze night or a weekend bbq if any of you are into that kind of thing this coming year.

thegenius said:
Finally got a place to stay. We are renting up in Lakeview, actually it might be Roscoe Village just due west of Lakeview. We are actually renting a house, not a condo. What a lucky find...it's got three stories, 4 bd, 1/5 bath, parking, a backyard with nice grass. Near Damen/Grace.

Anyway, my wife and I are really excited for this. We'll have poker/booze night or a weekend bbq if any of you are into that kind of thing this coming year.
congrats on finding a place!

thegenius said:

Congrats! That sounds like a terrific find, I hope you enjoy it.

Is anyone else having trouble with the Big Sibs Questionnaire? Everytime I click finished, it says this page can not be displayed. I dont know if it has been submitted or not. Has it been working for everyone else?

wildcat05 said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the Big Sibs Questionnaire? Everytime I click finished, it says this page can not be displayed. I dont know if it has been submitted or not. Has it been working for everyone else?

I have no clue that it even existed. I have heard very little from NU, and school starts in 1 month. Then again, I'm expecting to be spoonfed everything and I haven't spent any time on the NU Feinberg website for our class.

If you go to the link that they included in the last email, it pretty much does spoonfeed what you need to do

and yes i had the same problem when submitting, but assumed it went through because something on the page made me think it did (i dont remember what it said)

wildcat05 said:

Yeah, that's exactly what keeps happening to me...maybe we should call and ask??

wildcat05 said:

when I submitted mine, it was fine though...I didn't get any error message...I did it about one week ago...

Hey everyone, I've just finished reading the threads on here so I'm pretty much up to date with it all. I've been doing some travelling, so I've been out of touch. Anyway, I want to say its good to know everyone for the class of 2010 is active and already interacting :) . At this point I'm looking for an apartment and perhaps a roommate(s). If anyone has found a place and is looking for roommates or would like to search for finding a place together, please PM, I think we need to act fast as time flies by.

Cheers and congrats to all! Hope to meet everyone soon

Following on MHawk's footsteps, I'm also looking for a roommate/s. I'm 22F, clean but not neat (I keep common spaces clean, but make piles in my own spaces), nonsmoking, allergic to cats & dogs. If anyone is still looking, please let me know.

Mhawk said:
Hey everyone, I've just finished reading the threads on here so I'm pretty much up to date with it all. I've been doing some travelling, so I've been out of touch. Anyway, I want to say its good to know everyone for the class of 2010 is active and already interacting :) . At this point I'm looking for an apartment and perhaps a roommate(s). If anyone has found a place and is looking for roommates or would like to search for finding a place together, please PM, I think we need to act fast as time flies by.

Cheers and congrats to all! Hope to meet everyone soon

so it looks like the o-week schedule and other new things are up. I am a little confused because i signed up for a time for my fingerprinting but then i looked at the o-week schedule and it says I was supposed to sign up for a time in the morning if I am in group 1 and in the afternoon if I am group 2. We are not supposed to know which group we are in till the first day of orientation. This is all very confusing, and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

Belleanon said:
so it looks like the o-week schedule and other new things are up. I am a little confused because i signed up for a time for my fingerprinting but then i looked at the o-week schedule and it says I was supposed to sign up for a time in the morning if I am in group 1 and in the afternoon if I am group 2. We are not supposed to know which group we are in till the first day of orientation. This is all very confusing, and I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

in the instructions for the signup on identix it says jsut to choose any time to complete the registration. we will sign up for our actual times on the first day of orientation.

luhando said:
in the instructions for the signup on identix it says jsut to choose any time to complete the registration. we will sign up for our actual times on the first day of orientation.

hah I win for being the first to not read directions all the way.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the information on this thread. My wife and I just closed on a condo in Oak Park. Is anyone living out there or at least in that direction? Anyways, I can't wait to meet all of you. Have a great rest of your summer.

Hey, since I don't really know anyone in the class yet to make our own league, and since fantasy football is the key to longevity, I was wondering if anyone wants to get in on a fantasy football league? Let me know, if there are enough of us I may try and start a free espn league.

pnasty said:
Hey, since I don't really know anyone in the class yet to make our own league, and since fantasy football is the key to longevity, I was wondering if anyone wants to get in on a fantasy football league? Let me know, if there are enough of us I may try and start a free espn league.

ill set up a yahoo league. post your email if you want an invite.

you dont want to do an espn one? i already set one up

send me your email, name, and what you want your team name to be, and i will sign you up. you can PM me if you want

hey i am in a college one run by cbs which might be more fun since we are hailing from different undergrad institutions. Or if we would rather stalk each other in a much more efficient way we could just make a facebook group :)

anyone know what they are going to do for cable and internet? do they have any student discount packages?

i just bought my bed off costco.com....pretty good prices if any of you still need a bed

When's everyone getting to Chicago? I'll be there August 11 so if anyone wants to go out that week I have some friends that are coming into town to visit already and we'll be out on the town a couple nights that week before orientation. Just let me know.

kyatter said:
When's everyone getting to Chicago? I'll be there August 11 so if anyone wants to go out that week I have some friends that are coming into town to visit already and we'll be out on the town a couple nights that week before orientation. Just let me know.

Unfortunately I don't move in until Aug. 15th, but am definitely looking forward to those nights out on the town.