Northwestern Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys/gals, I would like to put out a request...I will be unloading the moving truck at my place in Chicago on Monday August 7th. If I don't unload within a few hours then I incur a $32.15/15 minute overage fee from my moving company (www.upack.com).

So are there any future M1's or current M1's (or anybody reading this forum for that matter) that would like to help me un-load that day? In exchange for your services I will definitely pay you, or take you to dinner, or get drinks, or any combination thereof.

All I need is some help on Monday, August 7th, for about 3-5 hours. Probably less. I'll also have one other friend there, but I'm going to need more help.

Are there any takers? Please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

thegenius said:
Hi guys/gals, I would like to put out a request...I will be unloading the moving truck at my place in Chicago on Monday August 7th. If I don't unload within a few hours then I incur a $32.15/15 minute overage fee from my moving company (www.upack.com).

So are there any future M1's or current M1's (or anybody reading this forum for that matter) that would like to help me un-load that day? In exchange for your services I will definitely pay you, or take you to dinner, or get drinks, or any combination thereof.

All I need is some help on Monday, August 7th, for about 3-5 hours. Probably less. I'll also have one other friend there, but I'm going to need more help.

I might be able to help you out, but it depends on the time. I would not be able to do it till noon at the earliest.

Belleanon said:
I might be able to help you out, but it depends on the time. I would not be able to do it till noon at the earliest.

Thanks for the offer! I think the trailer is being dropped off early on Monday, around 8:00 AM. But it might be later. They usually give a drop-off window between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM so I don't have an exact time.

If you're still interested and if the timing works out, could I have your contact info/cell phone? You can PM it to me. I'll be happy to pick you up wherever you are in the city instead of taking public transit.

Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
thegenius said:

I'd help if I could, but I cannot...just had knee surgery 4 weeks ago, so I can't walk yet, let alone lift things :mad: Good luck getting moved in though! :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone August 21st!!!!

Hey all- if your name is Alexandra, you have Russian-speaking parents, and you or your relatives see Dr. Vadim Edelstein in Skokie... please PM me- I have something funny to share with you. If any of you know Alex- please tell her that she should PM me. Thanks.

Go Wildcats!

hi everyone! i'm excited to be starting soon, but actually will miss the first day of orientation because of an unchangeable flight. could somebody fill me in once i get there (6pm on the 21st, so i guess i'll see everyone on day 2)? please PM me!

thanks,
connie

sweetmelody said:
Who's living in Lincoln Park next year? Just trying to get an idea of who's in the neighborhood and will be takin the shuttle to class in the morning :) Can't wait to meet you all!!
I'm living in Lincoln Park, and have been taking the shuttle to my lab rotation all summer. It's so much faster than taking the El. It's generally only a 10-15 minute ride. :)

hey guys

moving in tomorrow. if anyone is around and is near campus let me know...maybe we could meet before orientation. see everyone soon.

luhando said:
hey guys

moving in tomorrow. if anyone is around and is near campus let me know...maybe we could meet before orientation. see everyone soon.

I'm already in town. I'm living up at E. Scott St. which is about a mile from the campus. I'd be down for chiling sometime on the beach or whatever. Let me know.

Thundrstorm said:
I'm living in Lincoln Park, and have been taking the shuttle to my lab rotation all summer. It's so much faster than taking the El. It's generally only a 10-15 minute ride. :)

sounds great, thanks for the heads up...i just moved in yesterday and i'm still getting settled...and enjoyin the last bit of summer!!

haha wow you guys are making me nervous....im moving in next saturday and wont have any furniture or how i am going to get furniture with no car

pnasty said:
haha wow you guys are making me nervous....im moving in next saturday and wont have any furniture or how i am going to get furniture with no car

if you buy it somewhere around chicago they'll probably deliver it for free, so no car shouldn't be that much of an issue

Members don't see this ad :)
kyatter said:
I'm already in town. I'm living up at E. Scott St. which is about a mile from the campus. I'd be down for chiling sometime on the beach or whatever. Let me know.

I'm moving in on the 16th. It would be cool meeting up, so let me know.

Cheers!

I'm moved in too. If someone wants to do anything this week, I'm game as well.

Hey everyone,

I'm all moved in at McClurg Ct! Since so many of us are arriving, what do you guys think about arranging a group get-together this week? Maybe lunch on Friday? Something else? It would be fun to meet you guys! Post your ideas...

sounds great. lunch at benihana anyone?

I'm game as well. I'm pretty bored usually during the day, and it would be nice to meet some other students. Friday works for me too. I really don't have any suggestions for restaurants because I'm pretty unfamiliar with what's good around here, so I'm up for anything as long as it's not expensive.

kyatter said:
I'm game as well. I'm pretty bored usually during the day, and it would be nice to meet some other students. Friday works for me too. I really don't have any suggestions for restaurants because I'm pretty unfamiliar with what's good around here, so I'm up for anything as long as it's not expensive.

i am pretty familiar with the city and will name some places off hte top of my head. if you give me suggestions for styles of food ill be better at it

Eppy's Deli - GREAT jewish deli. cheap and effective. lots of food. best rueben in chicago (at least thats what people say). i personally really like it

Benihana - one of my favorites (top 3 restaurants). ok for lunch, expensive for dinner. amazing food. its one of those japanese places where they cook in front of you. more food than most anyone can handle.

L'Appetito - another good deli...italian

Sushi places in general are good around the city...expensive unless you go to benihana lunch special at the sushi bar.

Dao Thai - fairly good Thai food

then you guys may know the chains (CPK, Cheesecake Factory, Baisi Thai, Big Bowl, PF Changs). you can find pretty much anything in this area.

Chicago style pizza...if youve never had it its definitely worth a taste...but i personally am not a huge fan of giordanos. Unos or something else is usually great. i personally love lou malnatis but dont think theres one in the city.

For burgers...there are a bunch of nice pub/bar type places. i personally like Boston Blackies.

If you're a meat eater and willing to take the el or drive...there is a GREAT hot dog place called Hot Doug's near belmont and california.

Countless italian cafe/bistro lunch date type places.

well...thats all for now. like i said thats just off the top of my head so keep it coming with suggestions and all.

i agree lou malnatis is much better than giordanos....plus you dont feel like you are going to die after eating it

pnasty said:
i agree lou malnatis is much better than giordanos....plus you dont feel like you are going to die after eating it

Agreed! Growing up in the suburbs of Chitown my whole life, my personal favorite is Gino's East, but Pizzerias Uno/Due and Lou Malnatis are fantastic as well! Giordanos...eh, pnasty said it perfectly...

I hope everyone has fun meeting up...I am out of town until the 19th, so I'll see you all at orientation!!!

Lunch sounds great. I live on the corner of ontario and state (well not actually on the corner), so I can go anywhere downtown. I have no idea what's good around here so I'll let someone else make the decision on where to go.

I won't be able to come but if you guys want to make a trip to chinatown one of the best asian/chinese foods in the city is joy yee's. amazing food, not horribly priced especially if you share. if you know what bubble tea is than i really really recommend this place. they have great flavors and everything is made with fresh fruit (well except the red bean and taro flavors of course).

there are lot of great ethnic (and cheap!) restaurants in lincoln park and wrigleyville too. if you feel adventurous, there is an amazing ethiopian restaurant in wrigleyville right next to the stadium.

First time poster, long time lurker. I know some of you guys are lurking around Chicago right now; I'm all moved in (downtown/streeterville area) and wondering if anybody's doing anything. Lunch, dinner, drinks, touristy stuff-- whatever. Not that I'm not loving the inside of my apartment, but I think I might like the outside more (at least until the weather turns on Saturday...) Might be nice to meet a few people before O-Week.

I finally got the internet to work in my apartment. yay! Hmm, it's so hard to make group decisions, and it's even harder on the internet. I propose we eat in Streeterville, because a lot of us live here or at least know how to get here. I looked up Lou Malnatis, and its a little far, but there is a Pizzeria Due close by (619 N Wabash Ave). I'm up for whatever--just trying to help move toward a decision. As for a time, would 12:30 work? Hopefully we can get something arranged by tonight. It'll be great to meet you guys!

12:30 is fine with me. Hopefully more people will RSVP tonight.

MNsocsci said:
As for a time, would 12:30 work? Hopefully we can get something arranged by tonight. It'll be great to meet you guys!

I'd be down. Anybody else?

I'll be there as well. It's where the cool kids will be.

more RSVPs would be great, but really, the next order of business is figuring out non-stalkerish ways to meet up.

situation I'd like to avoid:
"hi, I'm cryogen9. do I know you from SDN?"

of course, I might just be an ass that way.

Well, I'll see you guys at 12:30. I don't think it'll be too hard to meet up; we'll be the ones standing around looking at each other uncertainly. :)

ill be there. pizzeria due...right?

Is it just normal dress wear for orientation week? It is all pretty casual, isn't it? Or are there a few events where more formal attire is recommended?

i was wondering the same question about what to wear

how did the lunch thing go?

i dont want to start school!

ya...how was the lunch? I am still not in Chicago yet...

For the orientation, I don't think I am going to dress up....I will only dress up probably for the faculty dinner and the white coat ceremony only.

Ok, I totally got caught up in trying to find furniture for my apartment. Hence, I missed the lunch. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. I know this is a bit redundant now, but for those who couldn't make it to the lunch, I'm meeting up with another student tomorrow, also for lunch. Anyone care to join.

Cheers!

Mhawk said:
Ok, I totally got caught up in trying to find furniture for my apartment. Hence, I missed the lunch. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. I know this is a bit redundant now, but for those who couldn't make it to the lunch, I'm meeting up with another student tomorrow, also for lunch. Anyone care to join.

Cheers!

sounds good to me. when/where?

LOL

I was wondering the same thing when I came on here.