Northwestern Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hanjoko said:
I just got off the waitlist too...when you got the call from Dean Brown, didn't she give you the person to contact for ANY questions? I think that person might be the one to ask...she also said something about sending out info in a couple of days so probably we will just have to wait for a while! :)

Oh...if you don't have that email address, PM me and I will email you the info...

orientation is the week of aug 21
white coat ceremony is aug 25
school starts the next monday if im not wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

a yo peoples...if you are still looking for a place to live and have not yet gone to lake shore plaza...if u use me as a referral i will split the referral fee with you! 250 for you. 250 for me. the thing is you have to make sure you use my name the first time you visit. PM me if you have questions.

...ok done with my shameless plug.

congrats to all who got in. i'll learn ya some anatomy come winter. if you give me enough money i'll change your anatomy practical scores for you too. ;)

erasable said:
What is NW's Step 1 pass rate?
What is the national average step 1 pass rate?

Thank you :)

national average is around 215-ish.
northwestern's average is like 235-ish depending on the year.

don't be fooled though...i would argue that JXT could convert our curriculum into one that solely teaches shakespeare for 2 years and our students would still bust balls. i argue that its the caliber of students we have rather than the school. in fact, i would argue that for any medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
luhando said:
orientation is the week of aug 21
white coat ceremony is aug 25
school starts the next monday if im not wrong.

arr...she said the school starts on August 21st...maybe she meant the orientation? :rolleyes:

either way, I think we are going to get more info later on... :)

Well, I just got off the waitlist and am definitely taking the spot. Anyone in a similar position and thinking about looking for roommates? I personally would like to live closer than further from campus. Let me know (PM or whatever) if you're interested.

Eric

Hey peeps!

I was just in Chicago this week looking at places and I just wanted to know what the opinion of Lake Shore Plaza was. I'm supposed to be taking over a lease and it's only 1320 for a 2 bdrm, but I'm looking online and the reviews are less than great. Anyone in the area hear anything about this place?

keedz said:
Hey peeps!

I was just in Chicago this week looking at places and I just wanted to know what the opinion of Lake Shore Plaza was. I'm supposed to be taking over a lease and it's only 1320 for a 2 bdrm, but I'm looking online and the reviews are less than great. Anyone in the area hear anything about this place?

whats so ungreat about it?

i dunno...i'm biased...i've lived there since 1st year. its not the best...but it certainly is not any worse than mcclurg or the onterie in my opinion.

in any event...if you haven't visited the office yet and want to split a $500 referral fee hit me up.

UCLAMAN said:
whats so ungreat about it?

i dunno...i'm biased...i've lived there since 1st year. its not the best...but it certainly is not any worse than mcclurg or the onterie in my opinion.

in any event...if you haven't visited the office yet and want to split a $500 referral fee hit me up.

Hey, Well I looked on apartmentratings.com and people were really harsh. I'm glad that I've found someone who actually lives there though. The reviews were saying that the police are always in the building and that the manager, I think her name is Patty, isn't nice. Some people even said that their places were broken into and that the police said that it was an inside job. I just wanted to be sure before I moved in. Let me know what you think....

keedz said:
Hey, Well I looked on apartmentratings.com and people were really harsh. I'm glad that I've found someone who actually lives there though. The reviews were saying that the police are always in the building and that the manager, I think her name is Patty, isn't nice. Some people even said that their places were broken into and that the police said that it was an inside job. I just wanted to be sure before I moved in. Let me know what you think....

there are quite a few med students, law students, residents, nurses that live in the building. the building also has some section 8(or 9? i forget which it is) tenants. but i have never heard of anyone that I know being broken into. in fact i have never even heard that we had a theft problem. i have never seen the police in my building or squad cars outside. i have seen the paramedics around once or twice but thats about it. i have never dealt with the manager patty since i have lived there for the past 2 years. i have never had to deal with patty since there isn't anything wrong. so basically, i have no clue what these people are posting online about. i have never encountered any of it during my time there.

My first post as a future student! Anyways, I just got in off teh waitlist and the housing prices are crazy expensive, so if anyone is looking for a roommate still let me know. I'm a guy, love sports and video games, study hardcore when i need to, dont study at all when I dont have to, and am pretty easy going. I want to live pretty clsoe to campus. Hope to hear from someone soon!

What does everyone think of the Abbot Hall graduate housing on Lake Shore Drive?

Members don't see this ad :)
bbuckeye said:
What does everyone think of the Abbot Hall graduate housing on Lake Shore Drive?

eh...not to high on that place. there are however many medical students at worcester house on pearson(?). i don't know if they will be offering spots this year.

also...shameless plug #2...

if anyone has not visited lake shore plaza yet, if you go there and use me as a referral source and then sign lease i get $500....$250 of which i will sign a check in your name and give it to you. i believe the other buildings have similar referral programs so try to find an upperclassman living in those buildings and try to snag whatever deal they have. if you come to my building i will split that referral fee with you.

pnasty said:
My first post as a future student! Anyways, I just got in off teh waitlist and the housing prices are crazy expensive, so if anyone is looking for a roommate still let me know. I'm a guy, love sports and video games, study hardcore when i need to, dont study at all when I dont have to, and am pretty easy going. I want to live pretty clsoe to campus. Hope to hear from someone soon!

Ya...I started searching for apartments this weekend and they are super expensive. If anyone still wants a roommate, please let me know (PM me or email me). I haven't signed anything yet but will probably go up to Chicago this coming weekend... :)

Annie

I just moved in to my new apartment! yay! (I'm here so early b/c I'm doing a summer lab rotation). Despite the fact that I'm surrounded by boxes in my apt., I'm really excited. I think Chicago is going to be an interesting city. I dont really have anything useful to add to this thread, except that I'm happy to be here and wanted to say so. :D

Question about financial aid. As I came off the waitlist, obviously my financial aid went through late. I'm an independent so no family contribution but still didn't receive grants or scholarships. Looks like it will be 100% financing. That will most likely add up to 200K+ for the next 4 years. Just wanted to check if the lack of grants was common for others at NU.

medMaybe said:
Question about financial aid. As I came off the waitlist, obviously my financial aid went through late. I'm an independent so no family contribution but still didn't receive grants or scholarships. Looks like it will be 100% financing. That will most likely add up to 200K+ for the next 4 years. Just wanted to check if the lack of grants was common for others at NU.

haha...welcome to northwestern.

there are only a few scholarships given out. i feel as though the grants are nonexistent here.

UCLAMAN said:
haha...welcome to northwestern.

there are only a few scholarships given out. i feel as though the grants are nonexistent here.

So how is it that the average debt is like 120 grand? Wish I could make sense of this one, but it seems that it should be like twice that.

ESzczesniak said:
So how is it that the average debt is like 120 grand? Wish I could make sense of this one, but it seems that it should be like twice that.

there is debt-capping at the end...but since 4th year has not even commenced i have yet to see how this will help me on the loan front. i assume that the 120 average they quote is after the debt capping. i have pulled out close to the max budget every year so i am well over 200k in loans w/o the debt cap in place. we'll see how that figure will change(if at all) with the cap.

I thought they removed the debt-cap during the last couple years?

If anyone is interested in lookin for a 3bdrm in Lincoln Park (within walkin distance to the shuttle at Childrens hosp ) with myself and another 1st yr from the roommie list then PM me and let me know!

ultimateend said:
I thought they removed the debt-cap during the last couple years?

nope. where'd you hear this from?

Is there a schedule posted somewhere for the Children's Hospital shuttle? I live right near there, so I'd like to figure it out. I can't use it until August, when I get my student ID, but anyway, if anyone knows, please post a link or something.

UCLAMAN said:
nope. where'd you hear this from?

EDIT: So I called the FinAid office and they told me that they got rid of the debt cap last year and all they have now are merit/need-based scholarships. Since they hardly give out any substantial scholarships and since the debt cap would have cost them at least 50k per student, they must be saving boat loads of money while dumping the increasing cost on their students. Lovely.

Thundrstorm said:
Is there a schedule posted somewhere for the Children's Hospital shuttle? I live right near there, so I'd like to figure it out. I can't use it until August, when I get my student ID, but anyway, if anyone knows, please post a link or something.

I think this is the shuttle that you're thinking of but am not completely sure.
http://www.univsvcs.northwestern.edu/shuttles/mcgaw.htm

ultimateend said:
EDIT: So I called the FinAid office and they told me that they got rid of the debt cap last year and all they have now are merit/need-based scholarships. Since they hardly give out any substantial scholarships and since the debt cap would have cost them at least 50k per student, they must be saving boat loads of money while dumping the increasing cost on their students. Lovely.

sux for your class.

Thundrstorm said:
That's it! Thanks. This is good to know since I apparently can get my ID this summer.

your school ID alone technically won't get ya on the bus(although most drivers don't ask for any form of ID, but some do). technically you need to go to the student affairs office and pick up a bus pass. u merely show your school ID to the secretary and she hands you a laminated bus pass.

UCLAMAN said:
your school ID alone technically won't get ya on the bus(although most drivers don't ask for any form of ID, but some do). technically you need to go to the student affairs office and pick up a bus pass. u merely show your school ID to the secretary and she hands you a laminated bus pass.

i dont know if its different for the childrens memorial shuttle...but i used the intercampus at least once a week in undergrad (went to NU undergrad and did research on the med school campus) and i just need my wildcard (student ID).

I just got off the waitlist...do you guys already have a Net ID? Also, is there any policy about laptops, like we have to have one with specific software? Thanks.

luhando said:
i dont know if its different for the childrens memorial shuttle...but i used the intercampus at least once a week in undergrad (went to NU undergrad and did research on the med school campus) and i just need my wildcard (student ID).

Children's shuttle is different than the intercampus. trust me, you need a bus pass from the student affairs office. i just ended my peds rotation so i know. some drivers are sticklers about it, others could care less.

the children's memorial shuttle can be a tiny van or a large bus depending on the time of day so i think the goal is to make sure that the people who truly need the shuttle are using it.

bbuckeye said:
I just got off the waitlist...do you guys already have a Net ID? Also, is there any policy about laptops, like we have to have one with specific software? Thanks.

mac or pc does not matter. the only thing you need to access the wireless network on campus is vpn software.

http://www.it.northwestern.edu/oncampus/wireless/requirements.html

otherwise...all ya need is microsoft word, excel and powerpoint really and you should be fine for all 4 years.

Hey all,

I was curious if anyone had received an email or letter from Feinberg recently. The last thing I got from the admissions dept. was the email with the housing info, but I haven't heard a word since. Is anyone else in the same boat?

barkler said:
Hey all,

I was curious if anyone had received an email or letter from Feinberg recently. The last thing I got from the admissions dept. was the email with the housing info, but I haven't heard a word since. Is anyone else in the same boat?

hmm...I got one from the financial aid office (to activate my netid and my email)...and I think we are going to get more info on orientation either this week or next week...

hanjoko said:
hmm...I got one from the financial aid office (to activate my netid and my email)...and I think we are going to get more info on orientation either this week or next week...

how did you activate your netid and email?

EDIT: nm i got it.

UCLAMAN said:
Children's shuttle is different than the intercampus. trust me, you need a bus pass from the student affairs office. i just ended my peds rotation so i know. some drivers are sticklers about it, others could care less.

the children's memorial shuttle can be a tiny van or a large bus depending on the time of day so i think the goal is to make sure that the people who truly need the shuttle are using it.

Thanks for the info on the shuttle...

Do you know if Northwestern offers a pass for the Metra and/or CTA system (EL, buses, etc.). I know other schools have "U" passes (university) and am curious if Northwestern has the same... Thanks for any info...

Can't wait to see everyone in August, congrats to everyone who have been recently accepted!!!!!!

fixing my spelling problems...

FrankGK said:

Do you know if Northwestern offers a pass for the Metra and/or CTA system (EL, buses, etc.). I know other schools have "U" passes (university) and am curious if Northwestern has the same... Thanks for any info...

Can't wait to see everyone in August, congrats to everyone who has been recently accepted!!!!!!

Just in case anyone wants to know about the TB web screening stuff...

Remember they ask you for your NU Student ID number (7 digits)? Well...the admission lady says that we won't have the ID number until we matriculate (August or September) so right now, we do NOT need to get the TB screening done (since we don't have the ID number).

FrankGK said:

Can't wait to see everyone in August, congrats to everyone who have been recently accepted!!!!!!

senate was trying to get administration to pay for maetra and cta passes. nothing has become of it as far as i know. the law school gets free passes i believe but we don't as far as i know.

so unfortunately, ya better by your cta farecards now...the "L" is is 25cents less if you have your own card. 1.75 vs 2.00...

...see fares
http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/faretable.htm

the card
http://www.chicago-card.com/cc/

hanjoko said:
Just in case anyone wants to know about the TB web screening stuff...

Remember they ask you for your NU Student ID number (7 digits)? Well...the admission lady says that we won't have the ID number until we matriculate (August or September) so right now, we do NOT need to get the TB screening done (since we don't have the ID number).

I don't want to cross the admissions lady or anything, but I believe we actually can get our student ID numbers now: log into CAESAR from the Infoplex page w/ your NetID and password. It should be there already....

Just got back from checking out my new place in Chicago. I got it for a decent price because its a family friends place at the Onterie building (a studio). It's got a crazy nice view of the Hancock and Sears Tower on the 40 something floor. There were a lot of people looking at places though, so if you havent found a place yet do it quickly.

Also, I can log into my Caesar account, but that might just be because I went to undergrad at NU. It would be pretty cool if I could keep my same email address tho

pnasty said:
Just got back from checking out my new place in Chicago. I got it for a decent price because its a family friends place at the Onterie building (a studio). It's got a crazy nice view of the Hancock and Sears Tower on the 40 something floor. There were a lot of people looking at places though, so if you havent found a place yet do it quickly.

Also, I can log into my Caesar account, but that might just be because I went to undergrad at NU. It would be pretty cool if I could keep my same email address tho

you can keep the same email. actually you do keep the same email. right now your email is listed as (whatever it was)@md.northwestern.edu but @northwestern.edu still works the same. i nkow cause im in the same situation.

wait, how do you sign into your md email account? i am on the hecky server and that still works for me, but since we graduated i thought they phase those undergrad accounts out...? im no longer in the pH system either...

pnasty said:
wait, how do you sign into your md email account? i am on the hecky server and that still works for me, but since we graduated i thought they phase those undergrad accounts out...? im no longer in the pH system either...

yeah im not in pH either but my email/caesar everything works. they phase the email accounts out but for us we get to keep the same netid and password so everything comes along with that. your email will stay in tact so you dont have to tell anyone a new email address. sending email to [email protected] is the same as sending to [email protected]. try sending mail to your NU address @md.northwestern.edu it will work. if you have any more ?s i was a rescon for a couple years so feel free.

nevermind, i sent an email to @md.northwestern.edu and it was forwarded to my current account, so you are right they both work

Hey pnasty, we are neighbors!! I'm in 4112, facing the lake, where are you at?

-Rachel

pnasty said:

FrankGK said:
Hey pnasty, we are neighbors!! I'm in 4112, facing the lake, where are you at?

-Rachel

I think im on the 46th floor facing the city. That's cool though, I will have to come find you when I move in on August 19th! When do you move in?

You should definitely come by! I actually moved in on June 1 as the two people I'm rooming with started their jobs in June (rooming with non med-schoolers, friends from undergrad). I've been fluctuating between there and my parents house in the burbs, but so far, I love Onterie!