Northwestern Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hpm4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in response to cubs08's request....here is the official "I got accepted to Northwestern and there is a good shot I will be there this fall" thread!!! Yea!!!

So I'll start....

I went to undergrad in the suburbs and graduate in 2004. I have been living in NC since and would really like to get back to Chicago!!! I can't wait for second look weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

hpm4 said:
So in response to cubs08's request....here is the official "I got accepted to Northwestern and there is a good shot I will be there this fall" thread!!! Yea!!!

So I'll start....

I went to undergrad in the suburbs and graduate in 2004. I have been living in NC since and would really like to get back to Chicago!!! I can't wait for second look weekend!

Wow! What a big sigh of relief for those with the status page drama. In any case....we did it!!! I loved NW because the students seemed to really work together and love it in Chicago! I went to undergrad in a big urban center so Chicago will be a great fit. And....as my sig says... :luck: to my babe who is trying to go for NW law!!!

On another note...second look is April 6-8...what do you think its going to be like? Any current NW students that can give us a heads up on this?

I'm loving this...........

prettymd05 said:
Wow! What a big sigh of relief for those with the status page drama. In any case....we did it!!! I loved NW because the students seemed to really work together and love it in Chicago! I went to undergrad in a big urban center so Chicago will be a great fit. And....as my sig says... :luck: to my babe who is trying to go for NW law!!!

On another note...second look is April 6-8...what do you think its going to be like? Any current NW students that can give us a heads up on this?

I have heard that in the past prospective students were given a boat ride around the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
prettymd05 said:

I heard that it is a weekend of going out/drinking and getting to know the people you could be spending the next four years with. I was also told by an M2 that you get to look at apartments that other med students have...

All in all....I cant wait!!!

Does anyone know when classes start in the fall?

Is it true that they pay for your hotel stay etc?

i'm so excited we got this thread going - is there any chance we can move it to 'class threads' though? - im not sure how to go about doing that

princessd3 said:
Is it true that they pay for your hotel stay etc?

I heard they also pay for your plane ticket... is that true too???

Does anyone know if we have to do anything to hold our seat in class?

Punisher said:
I heard they also pay for your plane ticket... is that true too???

I heard they pay for the plane ticket and you stay with a M1 student.....

cubs08 said:
i'm so excited we got this thread going - is there any chance we can move it to 'class threads' though? - im not sure how to go about doing that

I'm not sure how to do that either.....anyone know???

princessd3 said:
Does anyone know if we have to do anything to hold our seat in class?

i just got my letter today (i live in illinois) and there is a form to return together with a deposit and instructions for sending a transcript etc. Ahhh, if feels so nice to see it on paper!! congrats everyone

cubs08 said:
i just got my letter today (i live in illinois) and there is a form to return together with a deposit and instructions for sending a transcript etc. Ahhh, if feels so nice to see it on paper!! congrats everyone

How much of a deposit?

Is anyone thinking about how expensive this is going to be compared to their state school....I loved Northwestern so much I can't imagine turning it down to go to my state school (still a good school just not the right fit for me)...anyone else worried about the 200k+ loans???

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS GUYS!

i'm a M1 at feinberg, and i'll be happy to help answer any questions. as for what you have to do, at least for my year, you just have a form you have to send back, no fee, so burn that money on something worthwhile, like clothes or alcohol

hpm4 said:
Is anyone thinking about how expensive this is going to be compared to their state school....I loved Northwestern so much I can't imagine turning it down to go to my state school (still a good school just not the right fit for me)...anyone else worried about the 200k+ loans???

hey hpm4 !!! I am soooo in your same shoes and it is stressing me out! I don't know if u recognize me from the NC forum (sim4radonc)... I, too, love a Chicago school (tho on the other side of town.. gooooooo PRTIZKER! haha).. but ugh.. so expensive!!!! I estimate I will be in debt for at least 260,000 + interest! what do u think we should do?

phenylalanine said:
hey hpm4 !!! I am soooo in your same shoes and it is stressing me out! I don't know if u recognize me from the NC forum (sim4radonc)... I, too, love a Chicago school (tho on the other side of town.. gooooooo PRTIZKER! haha).. but ugh.. so expensive!!!! I estimate I will be in debt for at least 260,000 + interest! what do u think we should do?

Hey!!!
Now I recognize you!!! Congrats on UNC :)

I have not heard back from UNC yet (and duke will let everyone know Mar. 1st) so as of right now I am going to my beloved Chicago school, but it is definitely in my mind..."would if I got an offer from UNC or Duke (which would be less expensive than northwestern because of the 50% Duke grant)"?

I really felt like I fit in with the students and program at Northwestern better, but I have a lot of friends (and my boyfriend) in NC....definitely a tough call. How about you...what are you leaning towards?

hpm4 said:
Hey!!!
Now I recognize you!!! Congrats on UNC :)

I have not heard back from UNC yet (and duke will let everyone know Mar. 1st) so as of right now I am going to my beloved Chicago school, but it is definitely in my mind..."would if I got an offer from UNC or Duke (which would be less expensive than northwestern because of the 50% Duke grant)"?

I really felt like I fit in with the students and program at Northwestern better, but I have a lot of friends (and my boyfriend) in NC....definitely a tough call. How about you...what are you leaning towards?

let me pm you.. I don't want to take up valuable NW Class of 2010 space :)

I went to UNC for undergrad and living in Chicago is much better. WAY more to do, and there are actually street lights here (hehe, I remember driving several times on 15-501 or I-40 at night wondering where the heck the street lights were, LOL). I don't know if they still have a dance club on Rosemary called "NV" but that was my club (I opened it with a friend of mine back in college and then sold it when I graduated). Any word on how it is doing for those around Chapel Hill?

And don't be neurotic. Everything will be taken care for you and spoon fed to you in its appropriate time regarding this school, where to live, what to do, etc. As far as cost, you only live once, and it's not like it takes long to pay off your loans. I would pick a good private school over a public school for professional education ANY day because of the attention you receive, the flexibility you get on things like taking a year off, etc., and the fact you are a part of a community that seems a lot more cohesive and there for you. Just my 2 cents. Plus living in a city is way better than in a college bubble where everyone around you is 19 years old and "nightlife" basically means the same hole in the wall bar every weekend.

god, I loved NW and when I found out I got in I couldn't believe it. 90% chance I'll see you there next year. I can't wait for second look weekend :)

anotherhopeful said:
CONGRATS GUYS!

i'm a M1 at feinberg, and i'll be happy to help answer any questions. as for what you have to do, at least for my year, you just have a form you have to send back, no fee, so burn that money on something worthwhile, like clothes or alcohol

What was the biggest adjustment going NWU?
Are the exams like Shelf tests?

ultimateend said:
god, I loved NW and when I found out I got in I couldn't believe it. 90% chance I'll see you there next year. I can't wait for second look weekend :)

I know I was shocked when I got in also!!! Welcome to the thread!!!!

I *heart* Northwestern! I had a lot of fun at my interview, and got a great vibe from the people and school. I'm a big city girl (from New York, lived in Boston for undergrad - not exactly a big city, and want to come back to NYC for residency), so I think being in Chicago for 4 years would be amazing. I'm really excited to meet all of you at second look weekend!!! It sounds like they have a lot of fun stuff planned for us...

hey guys,
did you recieve two copies of the return form? i only got one although the letter itself says there should be two - no big deal, i 'll just make a copy

I love Northwestern!!! :love:
I can't wait to be back in Chi-town!
See you all at second look weekend.

GO CATS! :p

Is anyone considering the joint 4-year MD/MPH?

I have been thinking about it, but is it worth the extra $1800 a quarter for 12 quarters and the extra time spent? What is the actual benefit of the MPH?

hpm4 said:
Is anyone considering the joint 4-year MD/MPH?

I have been thinking about it, but is it worth the extra $1800 a quarter for 12 quarters and the extra time spent? What is the actual benefit of the MPH?

it seems like a good deal if you want the MPH, considering you still get to graduate in 4 yrs. i don't really know the benefit of the MPH though, i guess if you're thinking of working in a clinic or something like that.

Colonel Mustard said:
it seems like a good deal if you want the MPH, considering you still get to graduate in 4 yrs. i don't really know the benefit of the MPH though, i guess if you're thinking of working in a clinic or something like that.

It's actually a great deal to be able to get an MPH and still be able to graduate in 4 years and at such a low cost. At other institutions you usually take an extra year getting an MPH on top of 4 years of med school--which is still a year less than the usual 2-year MPH programs. (The MPH program at NU is an accredited program!)

As far as the benefits of having an MPH--that all depends on what you want to do as a physician. If you want to do work that is public health oriented then it would definitely be beneficial to have that MPH, but if you just want to be a doc who sees and treats patients that come to your office then it's probably not worth pursuing an MPH. Personally, I think all physicians should care about public health, but I'm coming into this with an MPH so I'm a little biased.

You can learn more about public health programs and schools at the following website:

http://www.asph.org/

There's a link there that answers the question: "what is public health?" Hope this helps.

cubs08 said:
hey guys,
did you recieve two copies of the return form? i only got one although the letter itself says there should be two - no big deal, i 'll just make a copy

I think you are supposed to fill out and make a copy for yourself. The whole "no deposit" thing is excellent. I have not had to put down one deposit yet. Which is good cuz I have no money!

tigerlillygirl said:
It's actually a great deal to be able to get an MPH and still be able to graduate in 4 years and at such a low cost. At other institutions you usually take an extra year getting an MPH on top of 4 years of med school--which is still a year less than the usual 2-year MPH programs. Having said that, the MPH program at NU is not an accredited program. Wish I knew what that difference means as opposed to an ASPH accredited MPH.

As far as the benefits of having an MPH--that all depends on what you want to do as a physician. If you want to do work that is public health oriented then it would definitely be beneficial to have that MPH, but if you just want to be a doc who sees and treats patients that come to your office then it's probably not worth pursuing an MPH. Personally, I think all physicians should care about public health, but I'm coming into this with an MPH so I'm a little biased.

You can learn more about public health programs and schools at the following website:

http://www.asph.org/

There's a link there that answers the question: "what is public health?" Hope this helps.

Thats awesome!!!! Thanks so much :)

so how sure are you guys that you'll be attending NU next year? i'd say for myself, it's about 80-90%

Figured I'd post a sick picture of Chicago I found to welcome some of you... :D

original6kk.jpg

Colonel Mustard said:
so how sure are you guys that you'll be attending NU next year? i'd say for myself, it's about 80-90%

I would say about 90% sure....my family and my friends from college are still in the Chicago area and although I like it in NC, I miss the city :)

I was also really really impressed with the students and the facilities when I interviewed...it just felt like a really good fit.

How about everyone else?

Also, what do you like to do outside of medicine? I am currently working in a pediatric endocrinology lab at UNC-Chapel Hill and I was a graduate student at Duke in Microbiology. The NC coast is only about two hours away, so my friends and I usually spend a good majority of March-October at the beach surfing, swimming, and scuba diving (great wreck dives!!).

The only thing I dont miss about Chicago....the COLD weather :)

ctwickman said:
Figured I'd post a sick picture of Chicago I found to welcome some of you... :D

original6kk.jpg

WOW...what an awesome picture!!!!!

TheProwler said:
Here's hoping I get off the waitlist and into this thread. :oops:

Hope so too!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

I think the waitlist is ranked and I was told that if you call and tell them you are still interested, when they go to take people off the waitlist, your file may get pulled to look at first :)

Hey guys,

How's it going? I am from the Chicago suburbs and am finishing up undergrad this spring in Champaign, IL. I am pretty sure that I will be attending Northwestern next fall and am really looking forward to Second Look so I can meet all of you potential future wildcats! One of my aunts lives right near campus in the Gold Coast/Streetersville area, and I went to visit her condo and it is amazing, and some of the apartments are actually affordable (I saw some studios/1 bdrooms for around $1000 and some 2 bdrooms for around $1600, for Chicago that's not bad). If I can pull together some funds and get enough loans, I will definitely be living somewhere around there...hopefully we can look at some places during second look.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shoutout to you guys, everyone seems really cool on this thread and I cannot wait to meet everyone at second look/orientation. I'm so pumped!!!!!! If anyone wants to talk more about NW or Chicago in general, feel free to PM me, I grew up right outside the city and know a couple of people in the M2 class.

Adios,
Rachel

FrankGK said:
Hey guys,

How's it going? I am from the Chicago suburbs and am finishing up undergrad this spring in Champaign, IL. I am pretty sure that I will be attending Northwestern next fall and am really looking forward to Second Look so I can meet all of you potential future wildcats! One of my aunts lives right near campus in the Gold Coast/Streetersville area, and I went to visit her condo and it is amazing, and some of the apartments are actually affordable (I saw some studios/1 bdrooms for around $1000 and some 2 bdrooms for around $1600, for Chicago that's not bad). If I can pull together some funds and get enough loans, I will definitely be living somewhere around there...hopefully we can look at some places during second look.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a shoutout to you guys, everyone seems really cool on this thread and I cannot wait to meet everyone at second look/orientation. I'm so pumped!!!!!! If anyone wants to talk more about NW or Chicago in general, feel free to PM me, I grew up right outside the city and know a couple of people in the M2 class.

Adios,
Rachel

hey, $1000 sounds pretty damn good for a 1BR in streeterville, i was under the impression that it would be at LEAST 1300-1400 in the area around the school. i'll see you at second look, and next year too...probably :)

I pay $850/month in a 1600 sq. foot 2BR/2 bath split with a roommate on the 24th floor with a great view. You can definetly get by for $1000 or less if you are willing to get a 2BR with someone or live in a studio. There are too many apartment options to list so it is worth shopping around. You'll get plenty of help/advice during second look. And remember that your loans are based on the cost of living of where you are going to school, so it's not like you have to scrounge up "more loan money" to go to school and live here.

ctwickman said:
I pay $850/month in a 1600 sq. foot 2BR/2 bath split with a roommate on the 24th floor with a great view. You can definetly get by for $1000 or less if you are willing to get a 2BR with someone or live in a studio. There are too many apartment options to list so it is worth shopping around. You'll get plenty of help/advice during second look. And remember that your loans are based on the cost of living of where you are going to school, so it's not like you have to scrounge up "more loan money" to go to school and live here.

how far are you from school?

Hey everyone,

Isn't it great to be posting under "medical student forums" instead of pre-med? I was so happy to get my snail mail letter after the scare with the status page over the weekend. (This is my first acceptance.) I'm about 85% sure I'll go to NU, but I'm definitely going to second look, so I'll see you guys there!

MNsocsci said:
Hey everyone,

Isn't it great to be posting under "medical student forums" instead of pre-med? I was so happy to get my snail mail letter after the scare with the status page over the weekend. (This is my first acceptance.) I'm about 85% sure I'll go to NU, but I'm definitely going to second look, so I'll see you guys there!

What other school(s) are you considering?

I think the only school that could cause me to think twice about Feinberg is if I got accepted to Duke (NC resident and my friends and boyfriend are in the Durham/Raleigh area)...

hpm4 said:
What other school(s) are you considering?

I think the only school that could cause me to think twice about Feinberg is if I got accepted to Duke (NC resident and my friends and boyfriend are in the Durham/Raleigh area)...

I have some upcoming interviews still, and while I really liked Northwestern, it's hard to choose without having seen these other schools yet. I'm also in a similar situation with my bf--he's here in Minneapolis, so that factors into my decision a little bit.

If you're interested in what schools I'm considering:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=5044

Was anyone able to find Northwestern-Feinberg for the FAFSA. I am having trouble finding the school code. How is it listed?

princessd3 said:
Was anyone able to find Northwestern-Feinberg for the FAFSA. I am having trouble finding the school code. How is it listed?

hey there,

the code is 001739. its not listed as feinberg, just as northwestern university, in evanston, IL.

I hope this helps,
Rachel

So I noticed that some apartments in Chicago have parking but I am assuming that you have to pay extra a month for it....is anyone considering bringing a car to the city? Is there any need for it?

I really don't think there is much need for a car downtown and the prohibitive costs is all the more reason just to keep it in your garage at home. i had a friend go downtown this week to look at condos - he said that the going price to purchase a parking spot is 40,000 dollars! I guess I'm just going to polish up my trek....

When does Feinberg award scholarships?

Welcome aboard everyone. If anyone has any specific questions I can answer, I'd be glad to give them a shot.

Generally speaking, you will not need or want to have a car. Most people (1st/2nd years at least) live close to school in streeterville. Those who choose to live in Lincoln Park (the general area of the city where 20-somethings tend to live) use the "el".