Northwestern Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Add another to the list...

Northwestern Class of 2010:

MNsocsci
thegenius
FrankGK
sweetmelody
DogzRool
smidge
barkler
Punisher
kyatter

Members don't see this ad.

MNsocsci
thegenius
FrankGK
sweetmelody
DogzRool
smidge
barkler
Punisher
kyatter
dom1n1c

I'm back from apartment hunting, and I found a place within a couple of hours (yay). I'll know in a couple of days if my leasing application was approved, and then it will be official. I went to the Apartment People on Friday, and my agent gathered only 3 listings b/c she was so sure I'd love one particular place, and she was right b/c that's the one I chose. I ended up cancelling my appt. with chicagoapartmentfinders b/c I already had the place from Friday, but my agent at ApartmentPeople said they're good but newer (3 years old, wheras ApartmentPeople have been around for 12 years). My agent was Stephanie and she was a pro. I'll be living in Lincoln Park; my neighborhood is so cute, and I can see the nearest Starbucks from my front door, which is a neessity, of course. :)

I would definitely recommend the ApartmentPeople. Stephanie said it was good that I came on a weekday b/c Saturday's are really busy at the apartment search services.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm a soon-to-be-M2 at northwestern, and i just wanna say congratulations to all of you. Look forward to a great year with many great ppl!

For those of you who will be here over summer, i wanted to let you guys know about a great opportunity to learn and practice some clinical skills (BP, blood glucose, history taking skills) at a free clinic. We're looking for Cantonese or Mandarin or any other Chinese dialects. PM me for more information.

Plus, we promise some good chinese food. yum!

And also feel free to PM me about any other questions you have about moving here, living here, studying here, etc.

thanks and enjoy your summers! again, congratulations! you should all be very proud of yourselves.

Hey, I just got accepted off the waitlist and I just wanted to know how are you guys paying for school? Is anyone here using loans as the only means of financing this?

MNsocsci
thegenius
FrankGK
sweetmelody
DogzRool
smidge
barkler
Punisher
kyatter
dom1n1c
luhando

Just got off the waitlist. I'm ecstatic!

Congrats Luhando and Keeds!! :clap: I'm glad the waitlist is moving. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone at orientation!

MNsocsci
thegenius
FrankGK
sweetmelody
DogzRool
smidge
barkler
Punisher
kyatter
dom1n1c
luhando
Keedz

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to know where should I start looking for an apartment. I'm looking on Craigslist but I don't know what area is closest to school. Any help would be appreciated.

keedz said:
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to know where should I start looking for an apartment. I'm looking on Craigslist but I don't know what area is closest to school. Any help would be appreciated.

I asked the same question earlier this year in this thread, and got some helpful answers. From my own exploration and apartment-hunting, I've pretty much discovered the following: the Gold Coast/Streeterville area is right near campus, but pricey. The further north you go, the longer your commute, but the cheaper your rent. As you go north from the Gold Coast area, the closest neighborhoods are Old Town, then Lincoln Park, then Lakeview/Wrigleyville, etc. There are lots of other Chicago neighborhoods that I didn't explore because I focused on nehigborhoods on the red line of the El that were pretty close to the school. I found a place in Lincoln Park that's about 3 miles from NU. I used the Apartment People and found a great palce in one afternoon. Current students can probably add more info... and also, didn't you receive the e-mail about housing? One of the attachments gave the approx. rent range and distance from the school of each neighborhood.

Thundrstorm said:
I asked the same question earlier this year in this thread, and got some helpful answers. From my own exploration and apartment-hunting, I've pretty much discovered the following: the Gold Coast/Streeterville area is right near campus, but pricey. The further north you go, the longer your commute, but the cheaper your rent. As you go north from the Gold Coast area, the closest neighborhoods are Old Town, then Lincoln Park, then Lakeview/Wrigleyville, etc. There are lots of other Chicago neighborhoods that I didn't explore because I focused on nehigborhoods on the red line of the El that were pretty close to the school. I found a place in Lincoln Park that's about 3 miles from NU. I used the Apartment People and found a great palce in one afternoon. Current students can probably add more info... and also, didn't you receive the e-mail about housing? One of the attachments gave the approx. rent range and distance from the school of each neighborhood.

Thanks for the info! I haven't received anything from the school yet since I got off the waitlist just last week. I was just trying to get everything started ASAP.

Here's the list of neighborhoods they sent us, in order of their popularity with NU students:

Streeterville - 60611 0.6 miles /2-8 blocks
Gold Coast - 60610 1.1 miles /2-14 blocks
River North - 60610 1.1 miles/2-14 blocks
Old Town - 60610 1.1 miles/ 4-16 blocks
Lincoln Park - 60614 3.5 miles
Lakeview - 60613, 60657 4.5 - 5.2 miles
Rogers Park - 60626 9.1 miles
Wrigleyville 60657 4.5 miles
Evanston (NU undergraduate campus) 60201, 60202, 60204 14.1 miles
Wicker Park - 60622 3.6 miles
Bucktown - 60647 3.8 miles

Evanston has a free shuttle about every hour straight to the med school campus. takes about 30 min...but i dont think you want to be on the undergrad campus and that far away. if you live anywhere along the free intercampus shuttle route it would be really easy to get to campus and you wouldnt have to deal with the el.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

i'm looking forward to joining you all at northwestern in the fall! i was just wondering if you'd received any information from the school yet about orientation or starting dates - i applied last year and deferred, and i haven't gotten anything so i just wanted to check and see if i'm missing something or they just haven't sent it out yet. thanks, see you guys soon!

that's for last year...

CC128 said:
that's for last year...

If you click on the > arrow, you can see this year's schedule. Orientation starts on Aug. 21 and the white coat ceremony and first day of classes is the 25th. I was accepted this year and haven't received any info yet either. I'm sure it's coming soon!

ok cool, thanks! just thought i'd check and make sure.

anyone remember from the acceptance letter a mention of gettin a pre-matriculation physical prior to the beginning of school? I didnt know if I had missed some info but I havent heard anything else about it since then...if anyone has any more info then that would be great because I, like most of the ppl who are workin and will be leaving their jobs soon, am tryin to milk my employee insurance for all it's worth before quittin my job.....lol...any info will be appreciated....thanks

sweetmelody said:
anyone remember from the acceptance letter a mention of gettin a pre-matriculation physical prior to the beginning of school? I didnt know if I had missed some info but I havent heard anything else about it since then...if anyone has any more info then that would be great because I, like most of the ppl who are workin and will be leaving their jobs soon, am tryin to milk my employee insurance for all it's worth before quittin my job.....lol...any info will be appreciated....thanks
I haven't heard anything since that first mention either. I was hoping to figure that out soon though, so I can go to my regular doctor before moving.

anyone know what NU's policy is on rescinding an acceptance based on grades? how badly would i have to do? i took 6 classes (in the quarter system where normal is 4) and am worried about my finals this week. will i be ok with 1 or 2 Cs?

luhando said:
anyone know what NU's policy is on rescinding an acceptance based on grades? how badly would i have to do? i took 6 classes (in the quarter system where normal is 4) and am worried about my finals this week. will i be ok with 1 or 2 Cs?
Isn't the whole pulling back an acceptance thing to ensure that someone doesn't just completely blow off the rest of the semester/quarter?

I'm not exactly sure what the policy is, but I think I can say with some confidence that you'll be fine :thumbup:. Anything barring straight Cs and Ds at this point should be okay... Good luck with your finals!

Hey all,

I just got back from a trip to Chicago to find an apartment. (I'll be at the McClurg Court Center) Thanks, Rachel, for the recommendation about Sado with Apartment Guys. He was great. I also stopped by admissions and asked them about any info we might be receiving soon. They were a little vague, but said that we should receive info on the orientation this month. It sounds really fun. On the Saturday after orientation there's a "breakaway" where we all go to a camp somewhere in Illinois to "bond." You know, sing Kum-ba-ya around a campfire and all. JK, it'll probably be fun. Anyway, see you guys soon!

theres this new place coming up across from mcclurg court called the streeter (www.streeter.com). it looks incredible and youll probably get really good deals cause its brand new leasing in august. i dont think there will be many available places though til later in the year...so if you like it contact them. anyway...hope this helps.

MNsocsci said:
Hey all,

I just got back from a trip to Chicago to find an apartment. (I'll be at the McClurg Court Center) Thanks, Rachel, for the recommendation about Sado with Apartment Guys. He was great. I also stopped by admissions and asked them about any info we might be receiving soon. They were a little vague, but said that we should receive info on the orientation this month. It sounds really fun. On the Saturday after orientation there's a "breakaway" where we all go to a camp somewhere in Illinois to "bond." You know, sing Kum-ba-ya around a campfire and all. JK, it'll probably be fun. Anyway, see you guys soon!

Hey MNsocsci, looks like we're gonna be neighbors! I just got a place in McClurg a couple of weeks ago. What tower/floor at you on? (if you don't mind my asking)

luhando said:
theres this new place coming up across from mcclurg court called the streeter (www.streeter.com). it looks incredible and youll probably get really good deals cause its brand new leasing in august. i dont think there will be many available places though til later in the year...so if you like it contact them. anyway...hope this helps.

I looked into renting at The Streeter ( www.thestreeter.com ) before I realized how much it costs. It is a realllllly nice place but take a look at the prices:
http://www.forrent.com/search/detail.asp?site=1000007111
I don't think many students can afford that.

MNsocsci said:
Hey all,

Hey there,

No prob! I'm glad it worked out for you. We'll be neighbors as well, I'm at the Onterie Center, which is right around the block from you. Looking forward to orientation!

-Rachel

MD_2010 said:
Hey MNsocsci, looks like we're gonna be neighbors! I just got a place in McClurg a couple of weeks ago. What tower/floor at you on? (if you don't mind my asking)

I'll be in McClurg, too :cool:. Spiders and recycled high-rise air be damned--I'm excited!

I'm on the 38th floor in the A building, but I'm on the waitlist for a room with a southeast view so I'm not sure what apartment I'll end up in. One of the reasons I picked McClurg was because I knew there would be so many other students living there, so I'm glad to hear I'll have you guys as neighbors!

smidge said:
Isn't the whole pulling back an acceptance thing to ensure that someone doesn't just completely blow off the rest of the semester/quarter?

I'm not exactly sure what the policy is, but I think I can say with some confidence that you'll be fine :thumbup:. Anything barring straight Cs and Ds at this point should be okay... Good luck with your finals!

first of all...thanks smidge for that vote of confidence. i usually dont stress much about these things but i felt lucky enough to get into NU as it was (i was waitlisted) and your post was a big help in relieving that stress.

also...looks like a bunch of people are living in mcclurg. anyone else living further up north? ill be living with my brother on huron.

What is NW's Step 1 pass rate?
What is the national average step 1 pass rate?

Thank you :)

Nice, I'm on the 30th floor of A. I'm not gonna have a roommate, so I'm glad there's gonna be lots of NW people living around. Looking forward to it

Right on! I'm in A, too...way down on the 12th floor. Now we can be, like, the bestest of like friends and, like, hang out and like, study together and stuff!!! ;)

It's all good, luhando :D No more stress right now...just good times and noodle salad.

Can I come visit you guys in McClurg when my Lincoln Park apt starts to feel empty and lonely? :laugh:

Speaking for myself: I certainly hope so! If, that is, I can come hang out in Lincoln Park when I get sick of campus...

Finally made my decision!

MNsocsci
thegenius
FrankGK
sweetmelody
DogzRool
smidge
barkler
Punisher
kyatter
dom1n1c
luhando
wildcat05

Looking forward to meeting all of you! :D

looks like i should have picked McClurg. :p oh well. you guys are always welcome to come hang out in Onterie if you ever get bored of McClurg or Lincoln Park or wherever else you might be living. see you all realllllly soon!

Okay,
so i have been tryin to weigh the dis/advantages of living in both places, keeping in mind that I more than likely will have a car. So far Lincoln Park comes out on top b/c lower rent, cheap shuttle from children's hosp, street parking or parking included in rent, most of the places have w/d in apts.....any one want to chime in on why they would/would not choose lincoln park over living closer to campus?

sweetmelody said:
Okay,
so i have been tryin to weigh the dis/advantages of living in both places, keeping in mind that I more than likely will have a car. So far Lincoln Park comes out on top b/c lower rent, cheap shuttle from children's hosp, street parking or parking included in rent, most of the places have w/d in apts.....any one want to chime in on why they would/would not choose lincoln park over living closer to campus?
I chose Lincoln Park largely because of cost, but also because I like the idea that my home is separate from school, and in particular is in a quieter area. I think it will be nice to be forced to see more of the city than just that one downtown area in my daily comings and goings, and I really just could not see paying around $1000/month for a studio. Besides, Lincoln Park seems really cool. I'm right near Children's and it's a great area, and in some ways, it seems more convenient than the area around NU; since it is more residential, there are more options for grocery stores, movie rental, small restaurants and cafes, etc. And the commute is not bad at all (though I don't have a car).

Hey future colleagues,
With only 2 months to go, my search for a roommate/somewhere to live is finally starting (whoops!). Is there by any chance any on this board who is either still looking for an M1 to live with or knows someone looking for an M1 roomie? Gender doesn't matter. All I'm concerned with is that this person is willing to live reasonably close to school. So please let me know if you can help a peer-to-be out.

Thanks!
Ellen

Hi All,

I recently got in off the waitlist. Pretty excited but seems like it will all start soon and I don't have any info about the upcoming year. Does anyone know when we should arrive for orientation or anything about getting books and other supplies? Not sure if any of you folks who got accepted a while back have already gotten any info.

medMaybe said:
Hi All,

I recently got in off the waitlist. Pretty excited but seems like it will all start soon and I don't have any info about the upcoming year. Does anyone know when we should arrive for orientation or anything about getting books and other supplies? Not sure if any of you folks who got accepted a while back have already gotten any info.

well orientation starts the 21st. other than finding a place to live i dont think theres anything else to take care of at this moment. i think someone posted earlier in this thread that they will be sending us info this month sometime (someone can confirm this if theyd like). theyre probably waiting for final transcripts from everyone.

Thundrstorm said:
in some ways, it seems more convenient than the area around NU; since it is more residential, there are more options for grocery stores, movie rental, small restaurants and cafes, etc.

Let me just say that I don't see how you can possibly get more convenient than Streeterville and Mcclurg/Onterie as far as location.

Within a few blocks from Mclurg/Onterie are FOUR grocery stores, a Hollywood video, three food courts (just off the top of my head) along with countless restaurants and sandwich shops, Michigan Avenue, two multiplex movie theaters, a huge liquor store, two Walgreens, an Ace Hardware, a multi lane bowling alley, the Lakefront, two parks, countless gyms, countless banks, it just goes on and on. Plus by living in Streeterville you can wake up and be in class 10 minutes later. I seriously think you will regret not living in Streeterville, especially your first year. I don't mean to scare you, but it's just that Streeterville is CRAZY convenient, not just for school, but for life in general. Lincoln Park is a very nice area though and I'm sure you will be very happy there, but if it's not too late to back out of your decision to live in Lincoln Park, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend living in Streeterville as a Northwestern medical student. There are many great reasons to live in Lincoln Park over Streeterville, but convenience, for school and for life in general, is definetly not one of them.

luhando said:
theyre probably waiting for final transcripts from everyone.

Whoops, I knew I forgot to do something.

ctwickman said:
Let me just say that I don't see how you can possibly get more convenient than Streeterville and Mcclurg/Onterie as far as location.

Within a few blocks from Mclurg/Onterie are FOUR grocery stores, a Hollywood video, three food courts (just off the top of my head) along with countless restaurants and sandwich shops, Michigan Avenue, two multiplex movie theaters, a huge liquor store, two Walgreens, an Ace Hardware, a multi lane bowling alley, the Lakefront, two parks, countless gyms, countless banks, it just goes on and on. Plus by living in Streeterville you can wake up and be in class 10 minutes later. I seriously think you will regret not living in Streeterville, especially your first year. I don't mean to scare you, but it's just that Streeterville is CRAZY convenient, not just for school, but for life in general. Lincoln Park is a very nice area though and I'm sure you will be very happy there, but if it's not too late to back out of your decision to live in Lincoln Park, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend living in Streeterville as a Northwestern medical student. There are many great reasons to live in Lincoln Park over Streeterville, but convenience, for school and for life in general, is definetly not one of them.
No, I'm not going to back out of my decision. I do't feel the need to live 2 blocks away just because everyone else is. Besides, it is not finanically feasible for me to live in Streeterville.

I made the convenience comment because one or two students told me that a local grocery store (that wasn't a more high-end type place) had just been put into the area around the school. I wouldn't really know, so I suppose they were uninformed.

hi there.
is anyone still looking for a roommate and a place to live? i need both. please pm me if you are looking for a roommate. thanks!
-susie

Everybody else is talking about housing, so I'll chime in. My wife and I have been looking for a place to buy, we even put in a bid on a condo in Lakeview. It fell through though. I think at this point we are going to try to find a place to rent. If people have the means to buy (a down payment) I think it will be a good investment. PM me if you have any questions about that. I've immersed myself in Chicago real estate, and if you opt to live in Gold Coast, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or even West Town/Wicker Park, you can find some pretty good values. A general estimate is 250,000 - 325,000 for a one bedroom. You can have reasonable payments with this too.

I think we are going to be living either in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, along the lake. There are express buses that take you downtown on Michigan avenue, and I was on one while visiting Chicago 3 weeks ago. Man, they ZIP down the Outer Drive! I went on it at 9:15 AM, so I think I missed out on the heavy traffic. But for those interested, it took 12 minutes on the 148 express bus to get from Irving Park/Lake Shore Drive to Michigan/Superior.

I would love to live close to campus for the conveinence, but it simply costs too much for us. We need a 3-bd apartment, and I think we will get one for about $1800/month. In streeterville a 3-bd will come in >= $2400.

medMaybe said:
Hi All,

I just got off the waitlist too...when you got the call from Dean Brown, didn't she give you the person to contact for ANY questions? I think that person might be the one to ask...she also said something about sending out info in a couple of days so probably we will just have to wait for a while! :)

Oh...if you don't have that email address, PM me and I will email you the info...