NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@cooliyak, would you mind giving us a quick rundown of the next steps for those of us who have receive the award? For example, how does we go about returning loans/scholarships? Is it all done by NHSC and our schools, or are we required to submit more paperwork?
Yeah, sure. The next step is getting the official notification that you got the scholarship. With that comes a packet of information about the ins and outs of the scholarship. You are told to inform your school that you got the scholarship (nobody from the scholarship contacted my school until I requested it of them since my school wanted an official notification) and they do everything else from there between themselves and the NHSC. The NHSC will pay the school and the school will reverse and return all your loans. The NHSC payment won't always equal the amount that you owe the school so don't be surprised if there is still a balance-- it will all equal out (more or less) once you get the ORC payment which you'll receive at the end of October with your monthly stipend all the way back to July (yes, 4 months worth of stipend). From there, things are on a normal schedule that never changes until something weird happens or you graduate: every semester you have to submit an enrollment verification form and a transcript, every month at about the 28th or so you'll receive your stipend, every October you'll receive your yearly ORC payment. Once you get past there, I'll give you more details about the job search/placement/relocation process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, sure. The next step is getting the official notification that you got the scholarship. With that comes a packet of information about the ins and outs of the scholarship. You are told to inform your school that you got the scholarship (nobody from the scholarship contacted my school until I requested it of them since my school wanted an official notification) and they do everything else from there between themselves and the NHSC. The NHSC will pay the school and the school will reverse and return all your loans. The NHSC payment won't always equal the amount that you owe the school so don't be surprised if there is still a balance-- it will all equal out (more or less) once you get the ORC payment which you'll receive at the end of October with your monthly stipend all the way back to July (yes, 4 months worth of stipend). From there, things are on a normal schedule that never changes until something weird happens or you graduate: every semester you have to submit an enrollment verification form and a transcript, every month at about the 28th or so you'll receive your stipend, every October you'll receive your yearly ORC payment. Once you get past there, I'll give you more details about the job search/placement/relocation process.

Thank you so much, @cooliyak! This info is very helpful!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you know how about how likely it is to have the countersign but not get the official letter of offer?

Thanks!

Do you know how about how likely it is to have the countersign but not get the official letter of offer?

Thanks!
I would assume the chances are close to zero. As someone else mentioned, the signing and countersigning are happening on an official contract so as soon as there are signatures, there would have to be extenuating circumstances to reverse that action and have either you or the NHSC pull out. I just know that the NHSC isn't always the most organized and the contact favors them so I wouldn't doubt if it has happened in the past. I would say that if you get the countersign, you are 99% safe and going to receive the actual award.

Do you guys think the countersignatures are all complete? Or more will be coming in the next week(s)?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think the countersignatures are all complete? Or more will be coming in the next week(s)?

If you look at last year's thread, there was a second round of countersignatures one week after the first

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Jamie King please don't forget us :-(

Reactions: 1 user
Jamie King please don't forget us :-(

From what I have heard it is rare for a finalist not to receive the scholarship and I know of 6 so far that have not received the counter sign so surely there will be another round

From what I have heard it is rare for a finalist not to receive the scholarship and I know of 6 so far that have not received the counter sign so surely there will be another round
I sure hope so @Klittle82 ! I was feeling unhopeful because there were only 139 new scholarships according to page 72 of the link you posted so I figured it's more likely a finalist wouldn't be chosen this year more than ever.

Congrats to everyone who did get the countersignature though!

OMG me too! at 1:18, would you look at that!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not got an email yet though I just went and checked

I have not got an email yet though I just went and checked

I was signed last week and still haven't gotten an email. I think they send them after all counter-signatures are done. Hopefully, @cooliyak can verify?

I was signed last week and still haven't gotten an email. I think they send them after all counter-signatures are done. Hopefully, @cooliyak can verify?
Yeah, you don't get an email for the countersign. The next email you get is the notification that you were awarded the scholarship. It might be hidden in a nonchalant email informing you that you have a message in your portal. Then you go and check and it's like "congratulations!" And your portal changes and it has a bunch more stuff in there and life is good.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, you don't get an email for the countersign. The next email you get is the notification that you were awarded the scholarship. It might be hidden in a nonchalant email informing you that you have a message in your portal. Then you go and check and it's like "congratulations!" And your portal changes and it has a bunch more stuff in there and life is good.

Doesn't this happen after countersignatures are done? I think on last year's thread, no one mentioned it until mid Sept. after two or three rounds of signatures.

Edit: Oh nvm. I think you got it.

Doesn't this happen after countersignatures are done? I think on last year's thread, no one mentioned it until mid Sept. after two or three rounds of signatures.

Edit: Oh nvm. I think you got it.
Yeah, sorry for the confusion, I was replying to comments at the same time as you. There are multiple rounds for finalists and countersigns, but not congrats emails. I'm assuming 99% of finalists will get the award so if there are still finalists without the countersigns, then it could be another little while before the award emails come out and that'll give time for the rest of the countersigns to happen.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion, I was replying to comments at the same time as you. There are multiple rounds for finalists and countersigns, but not congrats emails. I'm assuming 99% of finalists will get the award so if there are still finalists without the countersigns, then it could be another little while before the award emails come out and that'll give time for the rest of the countersigns to happen.
thank you so much for your help this whole process @cooliyak , seriously.

Reactions: 3 users
Got countersigned too! Omg I hope the final email comes soon. The waiting game was and is killing me. Wow this is so surreal!!

Reactions: 2 users
Countersigned Today at 1:18 pm!!! Has anyone ever been countersigned and not received the award? Are we allowed to feel relieved/excited yet? Lol

Anyone have an idea how many rounds of countersigns there are?

I got the congratulations letter @ 6:00pm!!!! My portal has been activated!!

"Hello,
You have received a new message from the Bureau of Health Workforce (BHW)."

upload_2017-9-11_18-21-44.png

Just Got the email as well! My heart is about to explodeee!

Well stupid question but what do we do now?

Sorry if this is something others have answered long ago...I'm pretty disappointed that it appears I'm out of the running this year. Not even a credit check as of last week. Do you guys know if there is any sort of feedback from them after the end of the month? I am just in my first year of med school and plan on applying again, but I am unsure what I could drastically improve for my application next time.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 8.32.03 AM.png

If you're part of the over 4,538 non-recipients, you are not alone.

Just checked my portal and was redirected to the participant page with the welcome message...I can't believe it's finally official!

Congrats to all who received the scholarship. Glad to be joining the NHSC team!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know the breakdown for how many people of those 4,719 applicants applied for medical, dental, nursing, PA, and how many actually received awards for each category for this year?

And congrats to everyone who received the award!

Does anyone know the breakdown for how many people of those 4,719 applicants applied for medical, dental, nursing, PA, and how many actually received awards for each category for this year?

And congrats to everyone who received the award!
not sure but I guess the only way to tell would be everyone state their field? That too might skew the results because what if there are predominantly dental/med/nursing etc student on that particular form.

I'm curious too though!
I was a dental reapplicant.

Hi y'all,

Wondering what you guys think about combining a 4-year NHSC SP and a 2- year MDSSP contract together.

This would mean you would have all your school paid for, fees and instruments (for me I'm in dental school so thats huge) along with around $3,500 in pre-tax stipend money/month.

In return for this you will have 4 years of obligation (NHSC SP is 1 for 1 and MDSSP is 1 for 2). For NHSC SP you have to work in an underserved area which also includes indian health service.

With this plan, I will be done with all obligations 4 years after graduation. My plan is to work for the IHS so that if i am deployed as a reservist, I will not have to worry about anything with my job. If I am deployed, whatever time (beyond the 7 week maximum they set) I am not working at the IHS will have to be paid back when i return from deployment.

What do you think of this plan?

Hi y'all,

Wondering what you guys think about combining a 4-year NHSC SP and a 2- year MDSSP contract together.

This would mean you would have all your school paid for, fees and instruments (for me I'm in dental school so thats huge) along with around $3,500 in pre-tax stipend money/month.

In return for this you will have 4 years of obligation (NHSC SP is 1 for 1 and MDSSP is 1 for 2). For NHSC SP you have to work in an underserved area which also includes indian health service.

With this plan, I will be done with all obligations 4 years after graduation. My plan is to work for the IHS so that if i am deployed as a reservist, I will not have to worry about anything with my job. If I am deployed, whatever time (beyond the 7 week maximum they set) I am not working at the IHS will have to be paid back when i return from deployment.

What do you think of this plan?
Does NHSC let you stack programs like that? I know I asked my state loan repayment program about stacking and they said I wouldn't be able to. Not sure how it all works be definitely worth looking into.

The NHSC has this in their application guide:

"Individuals in a Reserve component of the Armed Forces including the National Guard ARE eligible to participate in the NHSC SP. Reservists should understand the following:
-Military training or service performed by reservists will not satisfy the NHSC SP service obligation. If a scholar’s military training and/or service, in combination with the scholar’s other absences from the service site, will exceed seven (7) weeks per service year (see page 33), the scholar should request a suspension (see page 36). The NHSC SP service obligation end date will be extended to compensate for the break in service.
-If the approved NHSC site where the reservist is serving at the time of his/her deployment is unable to reemploy that reservist, the NHSC SP will assist the reservist in finding another NHSC-approved site to complete his/her remaining service obligation. "

Since the MDSSP is just a army reserves program, it works!

The NHSC has this in their application guide:

"Individuals in a Reserve component of the Armed Forces including the National Guard ARE eligible to participate in the NHSC SP. Reservists should understand the following:
-Military training or service performed by reservists will not satisfy the NHSC SP service obligation. If a scholar’s military training and/or service, in combination with the scholar’s other absences from the service site, will exceed seven (7) weeks per service year (see page 33), the scholar should request a suspension (see page 36). The NHSC SP service obligation end date will be extended to compensate for the break in service.
-If the approved NHSC site where the reservist is serving at the time of his/her deployment is unable to reemploy that reservist, the NHSC SP will assist the reservist in finding another NHSC-approved site to complete his/her remaining service obligation. "

Since the MDSSP is just a army reserves program, it works!
I don't really see the need to stack them like that. Other than an increased monthly stipend, I don't really see any added benefit? If that's all you are wanting and you are ok trying to navigate any difficulties that come from double dipping, then I say go for it.

Well yeah, its an extra 2200 pre-tax per month for me. This along with 47 dollar a month health insurance through tri care select reserves and a military ID card with all the benefits that this comes with. Also, no commitment during school for army reserves MDSSP ( I think for ARNG MDSSP there is a commitment during school).

Well yeah, its an extra 2200 pre-tax per month for me. This along with 47 dollar a month health insurance through tri care select reserves and a military ID card with all the benefits that this comes with. Also, no commitment during school for army reserves MDSSP ( I think for ARNG MDSSP there is a commitment during school).
You know the NHSC pays for your health insurance, right? As long as the school requires it. And I don't know what benefits come from an ID card... but if you think it's worth it and you can navigate all of that, sure, go for it.

Last edited:
Hi does anyone know what the annual limit for the ORC is? I am looking to buy a computer and I am wondering if there is a limit for how much I can spend on it. As well, the cost of it would have to be reported by the school/the purchase of required by the school? Thanks.

Hi does anyone know what the annual limit for the ORC is? I am looking to buy a computer and I am wondering if there is a limit for how much I can spend on it. As well, the cost of it would have to be reported by the school/the purchase of required by the school? Thanks.
If they did for you guys what they did for me, they just gave us an additional $2k for a new computer and that was plenty for what I needed.

If they did for you guys what they did for me, they just gave us an additional $2k for a new computer and that was plenty for what I needed.
@cooliyak do you normally get a breakdown of what your ORC end up being? As a 3rd year student, a better laptop would be soo nice!! But I'm guessing it's based on your year, and if you're a 1st year then Laptop is added to your ORC

@cooliyak do you normally get a breakdown of what your ORC end up being? As a 3rd year student, a better laptop would be soo nice!! But I'm guessing it's based on your year, and if you're a 1st year then Laptop is added to your ORC
Yes, they send an email within a few days of you receiving your ORC payment with a breakdown of what it should be used for, although it isn't very detailed (the only categories they list are books, equipment/supplies, and other). It is dependent on year, but not much changes from year to year so it was always around the same amount. During the orientation webinar they will explain everything, if they are still doing that. I thought I remembered her saying that they add the $2k on for new scholars, not just 1st year students, but that was also 4 years ago so I could be remembering her wrong and she also could have just been speaking generally assuming most people were 1st year students. Either way, you should know soon enough.

To clarify, was the $2000 your whole ORC? Or was this the part that was provided for the laptop? Just trying to figure out what to expect! Thanks for all of your help!

To clarify, was the $2000 your whole ORC? Or was this the part that was provided for the laptop? Just trying to figure out what to expect! Thanks for all of your help!
The $2k for the laptop was additional my first year. My ORC was usually around $6k so the first year it was $8k. It is also different for each school/program I imagine.

Messaged them asking questions.

“you will receive funds in your ORC for computer/software since you are a new scholar in the NHSC SP program. NHSC has a cap on the amount given toward the cost of computer/software. This is only paid one time.”

“NHSC submitted a Data Collection Worksheet (DCW) to the school to provide what is incurred by the school and what is incurred by the student for the ORC. Once the school fill out the DCW, NHSC takes the DCW and process for the FY 2017 NHSC SP funds. The ORC is based on what is provided for you to cover the entire year in school. The invoice is not part of your ORC. The school submits the invoice to NHSC for payment on your behalf.”

The $2k for the laptop was additional my first year. My ORC was usually around $6k so the first year it was $8k. It is also different for each school/program I imagine.

Messaged them asking questions.

“you will receive funds in your ORC for computer/software since you are a new scholar in the NHSC SP program. NHSC has a cap on the amount given toward the cost of computer/software. This is only paid one time.”

“NHSC submitted a Data Collection Worksheet (DCW) to the school to provide what is incurred by the school and what is incurred by the student for the ORC. Once the school fill out the DCW, NHSC takes the DCW and process for the FY 2017 NHSC SP funds. The ORC is based on what is provided for you to cover the entire year in school. The invoice is not part of your ORC. The school submits the invoice to NHSC for payment on your behalf.”

So if my school doesn't estimate money for a computer and I don't buy one, I will not receive that allowance, correct? I can't imagine them giving it anyway just because I'm a new scholar, but that's the way this is coming off to me.