NHSC Scholarship 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not true. A credit check is a step in the process, not a guarantee of anything. It's a good sign that things are moving favorably. The application guide says that everyone who gets the award has their credit checked, but that doesn't mean that everyone who had their credit checked gets the award.

Yeah that's what i said lol. Credit check means nothing besides things are moving

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter when we submit the 3 documents as long as it is within the week? My school won't return my enrollment document until Monday and the paranoia is setting in haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it matter when we submit the 3 documents as long as it is within the week? My school won't return my enrollment document until Monday and the paranoia is setting in haha

I feel the same way. I sent the enrollment verification to the school official in the morning hoping I'd get it back by the end of today. I have this fear that I'd somehow accidentally decline it ;(

I don't think it matters as long as its before the deadline, just like their application. Everything is speculation, but usually the earlier the better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel the same way. I sent the enrollment verification to the school official in the morning hoping I'd get it back by the end of today. I have this fear that I'd somehow accidentally decline it ;(

I don't think it matters as long as its before the deadline, just like their application. Everything is speculation, but usually the earlier the better.

When's the deadline

Hey! I received the finalist e-mail yesterday morning around 9:00am. Never looked to see if the credit check was done. Non-traditional MD1. Worked for 3 years with vulnerable populations in an urban community. Wishing you all the best!

Finalist email at 10 am. D1 applicant
Does this mean we definitely got the scholarship??! It would be devastating to feel this good and then have it taken away....
I looked at last years thread and a few applicants who were finalists did not receive the scholarship. That would be awful.

Did y'all do first and last name or first last and middle? For the 3 documents

I received the finalist email at exactly 10am on 08/04
I'm an incoming first year Medical Student.
GPA 3.97
Disadvantaged Background
Credit Check 06/08

Does anyone know what the next steps are after submitting the required paperwork (W-4 and EVF)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid question but for the w-4 what did you all put for the employers name and address?

Leave it blank (scroll up to my last post for full explanation).
Great thanks!!! For address did you put the address of your apartment/house in the state of your school or did you put address of your actual home in home state?

Great thanks!!! For address did you put the address of your apartment/house in the state of your school or did you put address of your actual home in home state?
Doesn't really matter. It's for federal tax purposes. You'll have to file taxes for whatever state you move to separately. And you can update it whenever you move if you really want to.

I've signed the contract. Now just waiting for the Secretary of Health and Human Services to sign it!

I've signed the contract. Now just waiting for the Secretary of Health and Human Services to sign it!

I'm still waiting for my school official to email me back the enrollment verification form. Is the contract signing after we submit and accept the consideration for the scholarship with the forms?

I'm still waiting for my school official to email me back the enrollment verification form. Is the contract signing after we submit and accept the consideration for the scholarship with the forms?

Yes, it will show up on the following pages.

Anyone have an estimate on how much that first initial payment into your account is? Not counting my chickens before they hatch or anything but I was just curious and looking through last years thread I couldn't find anything.

Last edited:
So if I didn't even get a credit check how do I know if I made a mistake on my application vs. not being competitive enough.

Did anyone state they took summer classes on the EVF and get additional paperwork today (updated W4 and a summer EVF)? Wondering if they just want me to fill the w4 out with the same info or...

Last edited:
Did anyone state they took summer classes on the EVF and get additional paperwork today (updated W4 and a summer EVF)? Wondering if they just want me to fill the w4 out with the same info or...

I got and email today from "Dawn Smith" that said the following:

"This notification is about your NHSC Scholarship Program Application. You were identified as a finalist for Award. On August 4, 2017, you received a notification to your application portal requesting that you confirm or decline the NHSC SP award offer.

If you would like to continue to the next stage of the application process, please log into your customer service portal and accept or decline the award offer by close of business on August 11,2017.

Please read the Application and Program Guidance as well as the Contract to answer any questions you may have. The following supporting documents must be fully completed and submitted through the customer service portal if you choose to accept the award offer:

• Signed contract

• Completed W-4

• Banking information–routing and account number

• Fully completed Fall 2017 Education Verification Form

Notifications of final award will be made by September 30th.

Thank you"

I have already done this. I did not take summer courses. I think it is just an email they send out.

I got and email today from "Dawn Smith" that said the following:

"This notification is about your NHSC Scholarship Program Application. You were identified as a finalist for Award. On August 4, 2017, you received a notification to your application portal requesting that you confirm or decline the NHSC SP award offer.

If you would like to continue to the next stage of the application process, please log into your customer service portal and accept or decline the award offer by close of business on August 11,2017.

Please read the Application and Program Guidance as well as the Contract to answer any questions you may have. The following supporting documents must be fully completed and submitted through the customer service portal if you choose to accept the award offer:

• Signed contract

• Completed W-4

• Banking information–routing and account number

• Fully completed Fall 2017 Education Verification Form

Notifications of final award will be made by September 30th.

Thank you"

I have already done this. I did not take summer courses. I think it is just an email they send out.

Yup I got this one too, in addition to another email. Lucky you don't have summer classes!!

Did you guys do anything with the Dawn Smith email or should we just ignore it

The email is just a reminder to submit everything by the deadline right? I did not get another email about summer courses since I put "no" on the EVF document.

Now I assume that we wait until the official acceptance email and hope that the NHSC receives the entirety of their proposed budget.

The "Summer Classes" should be just if you had to remake a class over the summer. My regular semesters end in June 7 and start July 7.

Our maybe if you have a a true "Summer Semester" they would want you to check that box.

The email is just a reminder to submit everything by the deadline right? I did not get another email about summer courses since I put "no" on the EVF document.

Now I assume that we wait until the official acceptance email and hope that the NHSC receives the entirety of their proposed budget.

I am guessing that the official acceptance letter will come Aug. 25-Sept. 10.

For the W-4 form we have to submit do we enter "1" for line B and consider the funding of this scholarship as being part of the following statement: "You're single and have only one job". I am confused as to whether or not we would consider the scholarship a "job".

Thank you.

For the W-4 form we have to submit do we enter "1" for line B and consider the funding of this scholarship as being part of the following statement: "You're single and have only one job". I am confused as to whether or not we would consider the scholarship a "job".

Thank you.

I didn't put "1" for that section. I don't think receiving the scholarship is a form of employment since we will be going to school. I didn't think twice about this until I read your post so I checked the IRS website on withholdings for scholarships. I'm nowhere near qualified to correctly answer this question. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reduced Withholding on Scholarships and Fellowships - Alternate Withholding Procedure

Taken from the website:
"The personal exemption amount should be shown on line A of the Personal Allowances Worksheet that comes with Form W-4.

Generally, zero (-0-) should be shown on line B of the worksheet. But, a student, trainee, or grantee who qualifies under Article 21(2) of the United States-India Income Tax Treaty can enter the standard deduction if he or she does not claim away-from-home expenses or other itemized deductions.

Generally, zero (-0-) should be shown on lines C and D of the worksheet. But, an additional personal exemption amount may be allowed for the spouse and each dependent if the student, trainee, or grantee is:
  1. A resident of Canada, Mexico, or South Korea,
  2. A U.S. national (a citizen of American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands), or
  3. A student or business apprentice (trainee) from India who is eligible for the benefits of Article 21(2) of the United States-India Income Tax Treaty
These additional amounts should be entered on lines C and D, as appropriate.

Since lines E, F, and G of the worksheet do not apply to nonresident aliens subject to this procedure, there should be no entries on those lines."

Thank you.
First of all, that worksheet at the top of the form isn't very helpful (and not required if you are wondering). What I have found helpful, until your life (and taxes) gets significantly more complicated by marriage and a relatively high paying job, is to always just put "1" on line 5 and not worry about line 6 (leave blank). Generally you are safe by doing that-- you aren't overpaying taxes and you won't get hit with a tax bill at the end of the year-- and unless you have a family or a different/obscure source of income, you should be fine. I'm no tax expert either, but it worked for me. Just make sure you understand that you have to pay state taxes at the end of the year and that could change things depending on your state. I got a decent return every year and I just used that to pay my state taxes. I can't remember the first two years, but I know the last two years I still came out on top.

Is anyone that is a finalist and reads this thread considering declining the scholarship? Just wondering...reapplicant here.

Anyone else paranoid that they didnt turn stuff in correctly now that its deadline day haha

Reactions: 5 users
stupid question - if you get a finalist email, does that guarantee that you will be awarded a scholarship?

stupid question - if you get a finalist email, does that guarantee that you will be awarded a scholarship?

Well, all the way up until last years scholarship cycle everyone would have said, "Yes, if you get the finalist email, you get the scholarship." But, it seems that a few people last year received the finalist email and then never received a cosign on the contract, and therefore didn't get the scholarship.

Im so ignorant on this scholarship. Can someone please explain what this scholarship is?

I called on Tuesday to ask about that- the representative said "As long as your information matches up to your application and nothing has changed...it is veryyy likely you will be receiving the scholarship" I don't think they are technically able to promise anything, but before I hung up she said "Congratuations" ...all of which made me believe finalist = award

Reactions: 1 users
I called on Tuesday to ask about that- the representative said "As long as your information matches up to your application and nothing has changed...it is veryyy likely you will be receiving the scholarship" I don't think they are technically able to promise anything, but before I hung up she said "Congratuations" ...all of which made me believe finalist = award

Awesome!

...Even when you get the scholarship, they aren't much help which is why couple of scholars and I created a Facebook group so that we could help each other and answer each other's questions along the way (just an FYI for those of you who get it)...

Could you post/pm a link to that Facebook group?

I just got a finalist email today. Did anyone else? I had written off the scholarship completely and now I'm in shock.