New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are interviewing/accepting late because of the hurricane delays. If I were you and I didn't get in this cycle, I would take summer classes and retake courses and up my gpa. Then I would reapply. Don't go SGU. You have a freakin 36 mcat, don't sell yourself short.

I appreciate that, but I'm anxious to get this show on the road. I don't know if I can afford to pursue another program and apply next cycle all at the same time. I'm really holding out hope for this NYCOM interview, though.

I hear that they've begun asking a lot of ethical questions this year? Can anybody confirm that?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed this week, wasn't asked any ethical questions at all. Interview was very relaxed, easygoing and stress free. I really hope I get in, it's been one helluva ride so far.

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today (Interview 3/12), can't wait to go here! Is there a facebook group? =o

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today (Interview 3/12), can't wait to go here! Is there a facebook group? =o

Congrats! NYIT-COM Class of 2017 can be found in the facebook search. That's the one I joined

Congrats! NYIT-COM Class of 2017 can be found in the facebook search. That's the one I joined

Thank you :D

Also, does the DPC application come with the acceptance packet? I didn't receive one and I really wanted to go that route :(

Last edited:
Interview scheduled for tomorrow...will be withdrawing. I don't know if it's too short notice, but hopefully someone gets my slot!

Is NYITCOM still handing out interviews? Still waiting for an ii from them...

Is NYITCOM still handing out interviews? Still waiting for an ii from them...

they should be. when did you hand in your secondary?
i think i submitted mine pretty late...at the beginning of january.
got a call from them 3/11 for an interview next day 3/12. still waiting to hear back tho

thanks for replying! i was complete in october. stats 28M, 3.65 sciGPA, 3.67 undergraduate, pretty good ECs, in-state applicant. was really hoping for an interview here! but not sure if i should just give up hope at this point...

Man, interview in two days, I am so hype. My MCAT was a good bit higher than yours but my GPAs a good bit lower, so I think it could be worthwhile to send a LOI or something. That's what I did, and it seems to have worked out.

I had my interview on Feb 26th and stil am waiting for the mail. Is there anyone waiting like me?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long after you send in the deposit do they send you information about the DPC program and financial aid?

Last edited:
I had my interview on Feb 26th and stil am waiting for the mail. Is there anyone waiting like me?
I remember that I waited a little more than a month after my interview to get my letter of acceptance. I then withdrew my seat...

For those that withdrew their seat, how did you do it? Over the phone or did you send them a reply though snail mail?

Hey guys,

I have an interview set for Wed., April 10th. But, from the facebook group, it looks like there are over 150 people already accepted. Do you think there is any way there are open spots or is this just a courtesy interview because I meet minimum requirements?

Definitely not because you meet minimum requirements since they give interviews to a limited amount of students (my guess is 600 or so) and get about 6000 applications. I also believe the class is about 300+ students so don't get worried about the 150 in the group . Just focus on doing well on the interview and be yourself. The interviews were pushed back this year because of Sandy (they also interview late starting November and don't interview in December at all unlike other schools).
Good luck, I'm sure it will go well.

I think on the letter they sent, there was a section where you could decline if you didn't want to attend

I interviewed 2/28 and was accepted on 3/27 (letter dated 3/22). I am OOS and my mail seemed to take a little longer than others who heard back around that same time. Don't they give a 4-6 week timeframe for decisions? Maybe you could call and inquire about the status of your applicaiton. Maybe the mail got lost?

Anyone have an interview tomorrow (Wednesday April 10th) and is staying in a hotel or something tonight (the 9th)? Just looking for someone to go get some dinner with lol. I'm staying at the East Norwich Inn.

Anyone interview during the week of March 25th hear anything yet?

i am waiting myself. i interviewed on the 26th. have you heard anything.

Were you afternoon or morning? I was 26th as well PM me if you were afternoon!

I interviewed on Wednesday and the lady emailed me back saying I can expect a response in 2-4 weeks. My interview group was smaller so the committee might throw my group into the previous week's selection pool. It seems like my interview session was designed to accommodate students who were suppose to interview back in February so they might give my group some priority. That's my speculation.

any more acceptances/waitlists anyone?
interviewed 3/12 and still waiting. hitting week 5 soon and feeling really bad!

got accepted for NYCOM 2017! (March 19th dated letter) I have read lots of the info on these forums so thought it was time to finally make an account and say something. I would like to thank everyone that contributed to these forums because they made a difference for many pre-meds out there. Good luck for the students that are still waiting. I interviewed at NYCOM, Penn state and Albany. I would love to help anyone about them if anyone messages me.

got accepted for NYCOM 2017! (March 19th dated letter) I have read lots of the info on these forums so thought it was time to finally make an account and say something. I would like to thank everyone that contributed to these forums because they made a difference for many pre-meds out there. Good luck for the students that are still waiting. I interviewed at NYCOM, Penn state and Albany. I would love to help anyone about them if anyone messages me.

Congratulations! Don't forget to check out the Facebook group NYIT-COM Class of 2017. When was your interview?

Interviewed April 3rd. Got my letter today.

Waitlisted :(

Any advice to get off the waitlist at NYCOM?

I know it might be a little bit early, but does anyone know what textbooks are used in the first and second year?
Thanks

I just talked to NYCOM and they said they mail the decision to the address on your Primary Application. If you updated your address on the secondary, that doesn't matter. Thought I would share this since I almost got inconvenienced by this.

Anyone from the April 17 interview group know when we can expect to hear back?

does NYCOM send rejection letters after an interview? im hoping they dont do silent rejections after interviews because it seems that those who hear back in a reasonable amount of time get accepted or waitlisted... oh yes, im going on 7 weeks now...=\

I got an email back saying it can take them 4-6 weeks to issue a decision and that this time frame is only an estimate. If it goes beyond 8 weeks than you definitely are entitled to an explanation beyond there being a delay.

daughter interviewed first week of March- wait listed via snail mail 4-27. Already with plans to attend elsewhere but good luck to those waiting.

anyone know how long the response for the DPC application should be?

Also, are there any DPC students currently studying under the new director that can speak for whether or not the DPC program is worth it? I love that its case based, that you can work with physicians, and that its an overall interactive environment (i hate lectures!) BUT from what I've been reading, studying is very unstructured and appears hectic... i'm not sure how I'll handle that...any advice?

I interviewed the second week of March.... wait listed 4/27. Let's hope it keeps moving

Any news on having to pay an extra fee by 5/17 on top of the fee to hold your spot in the class? I seem to recall seeing it somewhere but haven't been able to find any info in any of the documents I received.

has anyone gotten in who have had multiple MCAT scores?? what was your breakdown of each exam?

Congrats Class of 2017!!

I'm looking to rent a spacious room for two months (June & July) in a nice apartment that's part of the 2nd floor of a house in Glen Cove, NY (just 10 mins from NYIT-COM). This might be a great opportunity for Emigre Physician Students and BS/DO Students who are planning to do the MedPrep Program during the summer. This is only a temporary sublet for two months!! I'd prefer giving it to a NYCOM student.

Email me if interested! [email protected]