New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what the requirements are? or what was the mean MCAT score/GPA for last years matriculating class?

Applications Received: 5,400
Class of 2015: 279
Female: 49%
Male: 51%
In-State: 80%
Out-of-State: 20%
Average MCAT: 28
Average overall GPA: 3.6

Will be applying here. Does anyone have a link to a student's description of what life is like at NYCOM? I'm from Florida and I've only been to NYC once. Does everyone take public transport on LI? How expensive is an apartment?

Members don't see this ad :)

Will be applying here. Does anyone have a link to a student's description of what life is like at NYCOM? I'm from Florida and I've only been to NYC once. Does everyone take public transport on LI? How expensive is an apartment?

I will also be applying here as a Florida resident so I have the same questions.

Another Floridan here applying to NYCOM this cycle.

I'm applying as a Florida resident as well, though I did grow up in NY. It is a different kind of place, but for some reason no one can stay away. :cool:

AACOMAS verified 6/7/2012.

just finished an SMP (MS in Medicine) to repair a very very very very low undergrad GPA.
(<3.0)

The program mimicked the first year of medical school starting with gross anatomy. I did very well in the program with a gpa of over 3.0.

I will be taking the MCATs this coming July.

What are my chances of getting into NYCOM?

just finished an SMP (MS in Medicine) to repair a very very very very low undergrad GPA.
(<3.0)

The program mimicked the first year of medical school starting with gross anatomy. I did very well in the program with a gpa of over 3.0.

I will be taking the MCATs this coming July.

What are my chances of getting into NYCOM?
This forum could help you out a bit better then here. Make sure you post as your UG GPA, science UG GPA, Grad GPA, clinical experience and MCAT practice scores.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=418

Does anyone else think the supplemental application is very similar to the AACOMAS application?

I notice they say "list" all of your experiences. I assume they are not expecting paragraph form?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else think the supplemental application is very similar to the AACOMAS application?

I notice they say "list" all of your experiences. I assume they are not expecting paragraph form?

Did you just login to their 2ndary website and start filling it out? If so, I'm inclined to do the same.

I would like to know as well.... I mean I am still waiting on my LOR writers so I really can't do anything yet.

Logged in to the 2ndary just now. Here's all the prompts:

List all paid work experience from high school graduation to present (with dates):
List all volunteer (medical and other) work experience (with dates):
List all research experience (with dates):
List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests:
Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student:

There seems to be no character limit....

Secondary submitted 6/12 :).

List all paid work experience from high school graduation to present (with dates):
Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student:

Haha...awesome bro... thanks for looking out.

AACOMAS application released to school 6/14/2012 :).

School is not in NYC. It's in Long Island. You must a car to get around, you will not survive without one lol. But if you ever want to travel to the city you can take the LIRR (long island rail road). Excellent school, very challenging, great reputation--especially in the North East. Apartments are pricey... typically I have found that you will not find anything less than $500 (that's if you're sharing with 1 or 2 other people). Single studio/single apartments are anywhere from 900 and up. Sucks, but the area the school is in (and generally on Long Island) is very rich.

Good luck!
The school keeps getting harder to get into year after year. Average MCAT this year was around a 30, just heard. But they will release those stats sometime in the summer. EC's are very important...can make or break your application.

Does anyone have any idea when we might start hearing about interviews? Judging by last year's thread it looks like people starting interviewing around November. Has anyone heard differently?

Does anyone have any idea when we might start hearing about interviews? Judging by last year's thread it looks like people starting interviewing around November. Has anyone heard differently?

I would think most Interview invites would go out in October but the best way to tell is to go back into last years thread and see when for sure.

Maybe its just me but I want to know about NYCOM as a school and how the current medical students feel about their school. Like how would you rank the school on a scale from 1-10 how is the financial aid, cost of living, student activities, curriculum, faculty, etc. All those application process questions are not helping me much in terms of deciding if I want to apply to this school or not....Thanks in advance

Maybe its just me but I want to know about NYCOM as a school and how the current medical students feel about their school. Like how would you rank the school on a scale from 1-10 how is the financial aid, cost of living, student activities, curriculum, faculty, etc. All those application process questions are not helping me much in terms of deciding if I want to apply to this school or not....Thanks in advance

Bump +1:thumbup:

Applying to NYCOM and I'm a CA resident! :)

It's my top choice D.O. school hands down. I'm a little worried though because I took my MCAT June 21st and didn't feel too hot about it. Let's hope NYCOM will still show me a little love!

how did you submit your secondary 2013 application isn't even available until july 1st?

how did you submit your secondary 2013 application isn't even available until july 1st?

I am wondering the same thing. Did people start receiving secondaries yet? I got verified on 6/28 but I am yet to receive an email from NYCOM (or any other school for that matter)

I am wondering the same thing. Did people start receiving secondaries yet? I got verified on 6/28 but I am yet to receive an email from NYCOM (or any other school for that matter)

On the website, it says you can submit on July 1st. As for other schools, yes people have been receiving secondaries. So far I've received 7 out of my 12 secondaries.

On the website, it says you can submit on July 1st. As for other schools, yes people have been receiving secondaries. So far I've received 7 out of my 12 secondaries.

do you mind sharing which 7 schools have already sent out these secondaries?

My primary app has also been released for a while but only LECOM Erie has sent me an email, just to say that they received my app, didn't send a secondary. I have not heard back from any other school either.

do you mind sharing which 7 schools have already sent out these secondaries?

AT Still
AZCOM
CCOM
NOVA
NYCOM
OUCOM (pre-screens, im pretty positive)
Rocky Vista (pre-screens)

You can check the other school-specific threads to see if any of your other schools have sent secondaries, but I'm sure more than the 7 I listed have.

I recently finished up my first year and to briefly address your questions....

Not much in the way of scholarships, fin aid dept does a decent enough job at making the loan process go smoothly... it is an expensive school (that is known going in) but in my opinion is worth the price.

Unfortunately the hefty tuition isnt balanced by a cheap cost of living... Long Island is notoriously expensive so rents aren't too cheap but you can ease the burden by having multiple room mates. I myself room with another second year and pay 1600 total.

The curriculum at NYCOM is a big winner in my opinion. It is a systems based approach (which i sought after in a school... to me it seems to be the msot intuitive approach). This means that all material in a given body system is covered at once... ie when you do neuro you learn about histology, pathology, etc. This is in contrast to other schools who may just have a single histology class where you look at cells from all of the body systems at once... thus by having a systems approach you begin learning pathology and MEDICINE in general in your first year, rather than waiting for second year to broach pathology and other more clinically relevant topics (this was a big plus for me).

Faculty is acccessible... there are some great teachers at NYCOM... loved the anatomy dept!

Overall the workload is manageable, the cirriculum is fantastic in my opinion, clubs/activities are there for you and you can elect to get as involved as you would like (pretty much every specialty has a club that you can join)

Hope this helps... PM me if you have any specific questions

Not much in the way of scholarships, fin aid dept does a decent enough job at making the loan process go smoothly... it is an expensive school (that is known going in) but in my opinion is worth the price.

Unfortunately the hefty tuition isnt balanced by a cheap cost of living... Long Island is notoriously expensive so rents aren't too cheap but you can ease the burden by having multiple room mates. I myself room with another second year and pay 1600 total.

The curriculum at NYCOM is a big winner in my opinion. It is a systems based approach (which i sought after in a school... to me it seems to be the msot intuitive approach). This means that all material in a given body system is covered at once... ie when you do neuro you learn about histology, pathology, etc. This is in contrast to other schools who may just have a single histology class where you look at cells from all of the body systems at once... thus by having a systems approach you begin learning pathology and MEDICINE in general in your first year, rather than waiting for second year to broach pathology and other more clinically relevant topics (this was a big plus for me).

Faculty is acccessible... there are some great teachers at NYCOM... loved the anatomy dept!

Overall the workload is manageable, the cirriculum is fantastic in my opinion, clubs/activities are there for you and you can elect to get as involved as you would like (pretty much every specialty has a club that you can join)

Thanks for the info

This sounds fantastic and pushed this school higher up my list. Thanks so much for sharing!

When it says to list my experiences, do I just list them with no descriptions or should I add a description of my involvement too?

Also, no 'why DO' essay? :confused:

Does this mean there are no essays? These prompts just expect us to list things or do we answer in an essay format?