MU-COM class of 2017 accepted thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all of the new info! My only suggestion is making all of the "click here" sections into PDF's so they're easier to print off.

Members don't see this ad.

Frivolous question..in regards to the diagnostic equipment we are going to need to eventually purchase...MU-COM mentioned they are negotiating discount deals for the things we need. Does anyone know what type of equipment (specifically stethoscopes) we will be able to select from. People have been asking me about potential X-Mas presents and a nice Littmann Cardio III could make the list if it isn't an option through MU ;):D

Thanks for all of the new info! My only suggestion is making all of the "click here" sections into PDF's so they're easier to print off.

They open as PDFs on my computer. Not on yours?

MU-COM

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... They were PDFs on my computer.

frivolous question..in regards to the diagnostic equipment we are going to need to eventually purchase...mu-com mentioned they are negotiating discount deals for the things we need. Does anyone know what type of equipment (specifically stethoscopes) we will be able to select from. People have been asking me about potential x-mas presents and a nice littmann cardio iii could make the list if it isn't an option through mu ;):hungover:

+1 :)

The 2nd installment of the MU-COM Advantage Series has been released in the student portal for admitted and deposited students.

Happy Thanksgiving,
MU-COM Admissions

Frivolous question..in regards to the diagnostic equipment we are going to need to eventually purchase...MU-COM mentioned they are negotiating discount deals for the things we need. Does anyone know what type of equipment (specifically stethoscopes) we will be able to select from. People have been asking me about potential X-Mas presents and a nice Littmann Cardio III could make the list if it isn't an option through MU ;):D

UPDATE:
We are not recommending specific manufacturers for the diagnostic equipment. We are partnering with Welch Allyn to provide such equipment in our simulation labs. As such, you can ask for anything for the holidays. ;-)

MU-COM Admissions

Happy thanksgiving to everybody... Be thankful to all those who helped you get here :)

:thumbup:

I'm looking into a Littmann Cardio III as well. I've searched the forums and those tend to get excellent reviews. I have also heard that they tend to "walk" on rotations... so as a backup I think I'll get a Littmann Classic II since those reviews are also pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:

I'm looking into a Littmann Cardio III as well. I've searched the forums and those tend to get excellent reviews. I have also heard that they tend to "walk" on rotations... so as a backup I think I'll get a Littmann Classic II since those reviews are also pretty good.

I was just given the littman classic II for my birthday this weekend. It's was given to me by my bf's mom who is an ER doc and she said its the best while learning because there is an opportunity for it to be misplaced while I'm still in school but it will get the job done. My friend in nursing school also uses the classic II and she says it's great! I think I'll wait for the "nicer" stethoscope once I'm the real deal. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way!!

UPDATE:
We are not recommending specific manufacturers for the diagnostic equipment. We are partnering with Welch Allyn to provide such equipment in our simulation labs. As such, you can ask for anything for the holidays. ;-)

MU-COM Admissions

Great! Thanks for the update!

I know I am probably jumping the gun a bit by asking about this, but has the white coat ceremony been discussed... beyond just the date? Is MU-COM planning on making it a big/special event? I expect we will receive more details regarding this at the open house in March, but was just curious if there has been any ideas, details or info tossed around about it.

I was just given the littman classic II for my birthday this weekend. It's was given to me by my bf's mom who is an ER doc and she said its the best while learning because there is an opportunity for it to be misplaced while I'm still in school but it will get the job done. My friend in nursing school also uses the classic II and she says it's great! I think I'll wait for the "nicer" stethoscope once I'm the real deal. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way!!

This is exactly what I have read/heard as well. Knowing my luck, I'd misplace the nicer one. :(

I know I am probably jumping the gun a bit by asking about this, but has the white coat ceremony been discussed... beyond just the date? Is MU-COM planning on making it a big/special event? I expect we will receive more details regarding this at the open house in March, but was just curious if there has been any ideas, details or info tossed around about it.

Not that I am aware of.

UPDATE:

MU-COM Admissions

Does this mean there will not be packages of supplies we can buy? I know some schools have vendors come with deals and discounts on products. Should we just buy all this stuff on our own? Or will MUCOM be giving us any information regarding this? Thanks!

Does this mean there will not be packages of supplies we can buy? I know some schools have vendors come with deals and discounts on products. Should we just buy all this stuff on our own? Or will MUCOM be giving us any information regarding this? Thanks!

Sounded like they will be providing the equipment that we need (otoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, stethoscopes, sphygs etc.) for us to use when it would be necessary in the labs. I believe that most of the schools that do have the vendor fairs require students to purchase certain diagnostic equipment. But it looks like MU-COM wont be requiring us to purchase these things since they will already have them available for our use. I guess if you are still wanting to buy all that equipment even though it isn't required that is a different story.

On that note, I am still going to get my own stethoscope:cool:... I will most likely use the other equipment that is there at MU-COM and save the money!

Sounded like they will be providing the equipment that we need (otoscopes, ophthalmoscopes, stethoscopes, sphygs etc.) for us to use when it would be necessary in the labs. I believe that most of the schools that do have the vendor fairs require students to purchase certain diagnostic equipment. But it looks like MU-COM wont be requiring us to purchase these things since they will already have them available for our use. I guess if you are still wanting to buy all that equipment even though it isn't required that is a different story.

On that note, I am still going to get my own stethoscope:cool:... I will most likely use the other equipment that is there at MU-COM and save the money!

But only for the sims, correct?

But only for the sims, correct?

I would assume so from what was said in the update from MU-COM ...but I figure any other clinic we are working in will have that equipment there as well...? I've heard from other current med students that it is sort of a waste to purchase all that equipment (besides a stethoscope) if it isn't required because you will never really use it since those diagnostic tools will usually always be available in clinics/hospitals etc.

I guess I'm just curious as to what we'd have available if we went out into the community for service projects and the like, if we'd still have that equipment available for use.

The 3rd installment of the MU-COM Advantage Series has been released in the student portal for admitted and deposited students.

Have a nice weekend,
MU-COM Admissions

I put this in the school specific thread, but figure I might as well put it here as well incase it gets lost in the high traffic of the other thread.

I remember Dr. Evans speaking about working to establish some residency programs in IN. Does anyone know or recall from their interview day, specific areas of medicine MU-COM is trying to establish residency programs in? Are they only aiming to create programs in primary care (FM, IM and maybe Psych) or are they looking to establish programs in other areas of medicine as well (surgery,EM, etc)? December 14th is rapidly approaching so just trying to get all of the details out on the table.

I put this in the school specific thread, but figure I might as well put it here as well incase it gets lost in the high traffic of the other thread.

I remember Dr. Evans speaking about working to establish some residency programs in IN. Does anyone know or recall from their interview day, specific areas of medicine MU-COM is trying to establish residency programs in? Are they only aiming to create programs in primary care (FM, IM and maybe Psych) or are they looking to establish programs in other areas of medicine as well (surgery,EM, etc)? December 14th is rapidly approaching so just trying to get all of the details out on the table.

MU-COM UPDATE RE: NEW RESIDENCIES

MU-COM is currently working with many of our partner hospitals to develop new and expanded residencies. Work is in the early development stages with the following hospitals: St. Vincent Carmel hospital, Community Westview, Community East, Good Samaritan in Vincennes, St. Mary's in Evansville, Lutheran in Ft. Wayne and even more.
Ideas have included IM, FM, OB, Neuromuscular Medicine (NMM-manipulation), general surgery, psychiatry, and a trauma fellowship. St. Vincent started a new surgery program this year, and Community looks like they will start the psychiatry residency in the next year or two.

While nothing has been finalized yet, expansions in existing programs are being worked on in all residencies in the St. Vincent system and with Westview and Community Health.

In addition, with all AOA programs transitioning to ACGME in 2015, some details still need to be worked out in dual-certified programs and AOA-only programs. Ultimately these changes will be much friendlier to students since there will be only one match, the standards will be under one umbrella, and equality of MD and DO students will be codified so that the playing field will be level for both students and faculty.

MU-COM Admissions

MU-COM UPDATE RE: NEW RESIDENCIES

MU-COM is currently working with many of our partner hospitals to develop new and expanded residencies. Work is in the early development stages with the following hospitals: St. Vincent Carmel hospital, Community Westview, Community East, Good Samaritan in Vincennes, St. Mary's in Evansville, Lutheran in Ft. Wayne and even more.
Ideas have included IM, FM, OB, Neuromuscular Medicine (NMM-manipulation), general surgery, psychiatry, and a trauma fellowship. St. Vincent started a new surgery program this year, and Community looks like they will start the psychiatry residency in the next year or two.

While nothing has been finalized yet, expansions in existing programs are being worked on in all residencies in the St. Vincent system and with Westview and Community Health.

In addition, with all AOA programs transitioning to ACGME in 2015, some details still need to be worked out in dual-certified programs and AOA-only programs. Ultimately these changes will be much friendlier to students since there will be only one match, the standards will be under one umbrella, and equality of MD and DO students will be codified so that the playing field will be level for both students and faculty.

MU-COM Admissions
Thanks for the great info!

Just received a Littman Cardio II as a gift from the ER Medical Director, Dr. Pierog, and his wife Linda while here at work today. They said to consider it a gift for my future, and said they couldn't be more proud of me. So excited!! :thumbup: Totally wearing it around for the rest of my shift :D

Just received a Littman Cardio II as a gift from the ER Medical Director, Dr. Pierog, and his wife Linda while here at work today. They said to consider it a gift for my future, and said they couldn't be more proud of me. So excited!! :thumbup: Totally wearing it around for the rest of my shift :D

:thumbup::thumbup: Exciting! I have a Littman Lightweight II S.E.... trying to decide if that'll be good enough? :(

The tentative date for the White Coat ceremony is Friday, August 9th but we are looking to move it to accommodate more attendees. Another possible date is Sunday, August 11th. Yes, it is being planned as a BIG event that is very special and memorable and celebratory ... but because we are planning for 750 to attend given that it's for our inaugural class, we are looking at venues in the City, but close to campus. Currently (as a matter of fact, today) we are meeting with different venues ... one of which is the Indianapolis Museum of Art. The event will include students, families, administrators, faculty, MU leadership, dignitaries ...and your IOA mentor who will be providing you with your white coat ... ie, giving it to you. More details will come soon. Surely by the admitted student program, we hope. Please, though, recognize that planning is ongoing.

We hope this helps.

MU-COM Admissions

The tentative date for the White Coat ceremony is Friday, August 9th but we are looking to move it to accommodate more attendees. Another possible date is Sunday, August 11th. Yes, it is being planned as a BIG event that is very special and memorable and celebratory ... but because we are planning for 750 to attend given that it's for our inaugural class, we are looking at venues in the City, but close to campus. Currently (as a matter of fact, today) we are meeting with different venues ... one of which is the Indianapolis Museum of Art. The event will include students, families, administrators, faculty, MU leadership, dignitaries ...and your IOA mentor who will be providing you with your white coat ... ie, giving it to you. More details will come soon. Surely by the admitted student program, we hope. Please, though, recognize that planning is ongoing.

We hope this helps.

MU-COM Admissions

Thank you for the update!! This is so exciting! I look forward to learning more when it's finalized! MUCOM has such amazing communication with us :thumbup:

We hope this helps.

MU-COM Admissions

This most definitely helps! Thank You!!

Another question (hope you aren't getting sick of my inquiries yet:D)...will a financial aid section be added to the website or the portal in the future? When will possible scholarships and/or other pertinent financial aid information be given to us? This may already exist and I might have just missed it but I can't seem to find it anywhere if it is already available.

We hope this helps.

MU-COM Admissions

Thank you for the update! My family has to plan way ahead in advance for weekends off, and I really want my close family to all be here for this day!! :) :)

This most definitely helps! Thank You!!

Another question (hope you aren't getting sick of my inquiries yet:D)...will a financial aid section be added to the website or the portal in the future? When will possible scholarships and/or other pertinent financial aid information be given to us? This may already exist and I might have just missed it but I can't seem to find it anywhere if it is already available.

This information is going on the website soon ... details will surely be available at the Admitted Student Program on March 9th. In the meantime, if admitted, you should have received a detailed email from Julia Ford, MU-COM Financial Aid Counselor. If not, contact her at [email protected].

MU-COM Admissions

This information is going on the website soon ... details will surely be available at the Admitted Student Program on March 9th. In the meantime, if admitted, you should have received a detailed email from Julia Ford, MU-COM Financial Aid Counselor. If not, contact her at [email protected].

MU-COM Admissions

Oh nice, I didn't receive this either...Ill email Julia

Oh nice, I didn't receive this either...Ill email Julia

Cool, I haven't received this email either. I did just recently paid my seat deposit though, so I will see if I receive it within the next few days. If not, I will contact Julia Ford.

Thanks again MU-COM!

Last edited:
Additional Residency Info:

Until 2015, the match program is the same one we have now. In 2015, the plan is to have all residency programs, MD and DO come under the management of the ACGME—the MD umbrella organization that is responsible for all residencies. Consequently, there will be only one match, for everyone, through the ERAS application service.

While at MU-COM, there will be time in the clinical rotations during 3rd and 4th years for interview rotations at place where you may want to go for residency training. MU-COM strongly encourages our students to do this.

There is a cap on the number of residency training slots in the USA as per the 1997 balanced budget act. The Medicaid and Medicare service organization (CMS) that funds GME will not pay for more than the CAP. If a hospital or School wants to have more than the cap, there is a way to take positions from programs that do not fill and move them to programs who want to expand. This is done through a competitive process much like getting a grant, through the HRSA.

Community Health and St.Vincent have applied for extra positions through this process—and the new residencies can be in any specialty. Other than that, the programs have to find a way to fund increases themselves.

MU-COM understands and greatly appreciates your interest in GME. At this point, your best plan of action is to work hard, do well in school, get good letters of reference, do some scholarly activity while in medical school, and have a good interview rotation where you work to impress the attendings.

Remember, our expectation is that our students be GREAT—not good—osteopathic physicians!! We will do everything possible to help you.

MU-COM Admissions

UPDATE:
4th and final MU-COM Advantages email sent to admitted and deposited students. Check out the portal.

A general update email about happenings in the school was also sent separately.

Have a good weekend,
MU-COM Admissions

Additional Residency Info:

Until 2015, the match program is the same one we have now. In 2015, the plan is to have all residency programs, MD and DO come under the management of the ACGME—the MD umbrella organization that is responsible for all residencies. Consequently, there will be only one match, for everyone, through the ERAS application service.

While at MU-COM, there will be time in the clinical rotations during 3rd and 4th years for interview rotations at place where you may want to go for residency training. MU-COM strongly encourages our students to do this.

There is a cap on the number of residency training slots in the USA as per the 1997 balanced budget act. The Medicaid and Medicare service organization (CMS) that funds GME will not pay for more than the CAP. If a hospital or School wants to have more than the cap, there is a way to take positions from programs that do not fill and move them to programs who want to expand. This is done through a competitive process much like getting a grant, through the HRSA.

Community Health and St.Vincent have applied for extra positions through this process—and the new residencies can be in any specialty. Other than that, the programs have to find a way to fund increases themselves.

MU-COM understands and greatly appreciates your interest in GME. At this point, your best plan of action is to work hard, do well in school, get good letters of reference, do some scholarly activity while in medical school, and have a good interview rotation where you work to impress the attendings.

Remember, our expectation is that our students be GREAT—not good—osteopathic physicians!! We will do everything possible to help you.

MU-COM Admissions

UPDATE:
4th and final MU-COM Advantages email sent to admitted and deposited students. Check out the portal.

A general update email about happenings in the school was also sent separately.

Have a good weekend,
MU-COM Admissions

Thank you for the updates! I love getting these emails, it makes me even more sure of my decision! :)

MU-COM,

Is the "Dr Knightro" that I've seen the 'official' mascot of for MU-COM? Would we expect to see this on future items (white coats or something similar)?

And/Or does MU-COM have an official logo/seal that it will be using?

Just curious, thanks!

MU-COM,

Is the "Dr Knightro" that I've seen the 'official' mascot of for MU-COM? Would we expect to see this on future items (white coats or something similar)?

Just curious, thanks!

:thumbup::thumbup:

MU-COM,

Just curious, thanks!

I hope he's not on the white coat!! That would be a bit silly :)

He's a good guy for a water bottle though

MU-COM,

Just curious, thanks!

Dr. Knightro is being used along with other makes and marks for spirit wear only. The white coats will have an IOA patch on the sleeve.

MU-COM Admissions

Hi everyone...just found out tonight I will be joining you next fall!