Mt. Sinai and Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZankouChicken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know people must be getting really tired of the school vs. school threads (esp. the sinai vs. _____ ones), but I'm going to solicit input from people familiar with the schools anyway (interviewed, accepted, current student etc.). I remember having similar impressions of the two schools after I interviewed at them back in October, but its been a while since then and my memory has somewhat faded. Attended second look at Mt. Sinai and had a great time; it go me really excited about going to school there. Recently got off the wait list at Case with a 20k/yr scholarship (actual difference in CoA will be ~10k/yr). Didn't get a chance to go to revisit weekend there, so I have less of a feel for that school. I'm e-mailing a student at Case, but figured I'd might as well get a wider range of opinions while I'm at it. Any comments about either school would be greatly appreciated.

Classmates: Being in a comfortable enivronment is probably the most important factor for me. Medicine is a long haul and I want to enjoy the process; I think it's also easier to do well academically if I enjoy the people I am with. Didn't get a chance to meet a huge number of people at Sinai, but overall I really liked the people at second look. It seemed like a diverse group; everyone was pretty laid back and easy to talk to. I think they also have a large number of people from the humanities/social sciences (esp. with the HuMed program), so you get a lot of people with different backgrounds. Not sure how/if this is true of Case.

School: I want to go to a school that emphasizes the students and their education. The students at Sinai made it seem that the school and doctors there tried to make it as easy as possible to do what they wanted there (research and EHHOP are the two I would jump on if I go there). For me this kind of nurturing environment is important because it will allow me to fully develop my interests (yeah I know, I sound super needy). Again, not sure how Case is about this.

LGBT scene: This might be a game changer. If anyone can comment about student life/activities at either campus, that would be great (or if you prefer PM me). More of a non-scene type of person (not big on clubbing etc.; live 30 min. from West Hollywood but almost never go), otherwise I would be NYC as the clear winner in this regard. I'm more curious to know what the schools have to offer: student organizations, LGBT health outreach etc.

Final thoughts: my favorite sitcoms are Friends, How I Met Your Mother, and 30 Rock (because Tina Fey is genius).

Thanks, and again apologies for spamming the forums.

Members don't see this ad.

So I know people must be getting really tired of the school vs. school threads (esp. the sinai vs. _____ ones), but I'm going to solicit input from people familiar with the schools anyway (interviewed, accepted, current student etc.). I remember having similar impressions of the two schools after I interviewed at them back in October, but its been a while since then and my memory has somewhat faded. Attended second look at Mt. Sinai and had a great time; it go me really excited about going to school there. Recently got off the wait list at Case with a 20k/yr scholarship (actual difference in CoA will be ~10k/yr). Didn't get a chance to go to revisit weekend there, so I have less of a feel for that school. I'm e-mailing a student at Case, but figured I'd might as well get a wider range of opinions while I'm at it. Any comments about either school would be greatly appreciated.

Classmates: Being in a comfortable enivronment is probably the most important factor for me. Medicine is a long haul and I want to enjoy the process; I think it's also easier to do well academically if I enjoy the people I am with. Didn't get a chance to meet a huge number of people at Sinai, but overall I really liked the people at second look. It seemed like a diverse group; everyone was pretty laid back and easy to talk to. I think they also have a large number of people from the humanities/social sciences (esp. with the HuMed program), so you get a lot of people with different backgrounds. Not sure how/if this is true of Case.

School: I want to go to a school that emphasizes the students and their education. The students at Sinai made it seem that the school and doctors there tried to make it as easy as possible to do what they wanted there (research and EHHOP are the two I would jump on if I go there). For me this kind of nurturing environment is important because it will allow me to fully develop my interests (yeah I know, I sound super needy). Again, not sure how Case is about this.

LGBT scene: This might be a game changer. If anyone can comment about student life/activities at either campus, that would be great (or if you prefer PM me). More of a non-scene type of person (not big on clubbing etc.; live 30 min. from West Hollywood but almost never go), otherwise I would be NYC as the clear winner in this regard. I'm more curious to know what the schools have to offer: student organizations, LGBT health outreach etc.

Final thoughts: my favorite sitcoms are Friends, How I Met Your Mother, and 30 Rock (because Tina Fey is genius).

Given the options...I'd choose Sinai. I don't think 10k/year is enough to give up on the greatness that is living in NYC. But, I admit that everyone has different preferences.

I'm a LGBT student who's most likely attending Sinai next year. I talked to a fair amount of students about this on revisit weekend (maybe we met?), so PM me if you have any questions. And given your taste in television...it seems like you might like NYC. I would say there will be few opportunities in your life to live in NYC for rent less than $600 on the UES. If location isn't a big factor, go with your gut on the other aspects of the schools. Both similarly ranked with good opportunities (but very different geographical environments), so you can't go wrong if you choose the place that fits you best. I just don't think 40k should be the deciding factor if you strongly prefer one over the other.

Last edited:

I personally would take Case + 10k over sinai (assuming you've factored in cost of living, which will make case even cheaper). That being said, if LGBT scene is big for you, then living in NYC might be worth the extra dough, as I doubt cleveland is the most LGBT friendly place, though I'm sure you're fellow med students would be just fine.

As an aside I'd be wary about picking a school based on the few people you met on interview day that seemed chill, however. In general, I'd say at any school theres going to be a lot of pretty cool people, some gunners, some socially inept types, etc. Whether you'll get along with people is a lot more about you than where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be going to Case next year and as an LGBT student I was impressed with the program. Yes, the scene in Cleveland does not live up to something like New York. But Case seemed to have a really tight group of LGBT students. On revist weekend, we all went out to a gay bar together instead of the planned activites. As for volunteer opportunities, there is a clinic specifically for LGBT issues that I was told we are able to get involved with. http://www.metrohealth.org/body.cfm?id=2410 As someone who is not currently at Case, I cannot say much, but I was impressed by the LGBT friendliness of the community.

I don't really know much about the LGBT scenes, but I interviewed at both places and went to second look at Case. In terms of student organizations, having an affiliated university with other professional/graduate schools might mean more to get involved in. Disregarding location, I would go to Case - I liked the PBL curriculum, the unranked P/F, and the ridiculously strong network of teaching hospitals, and in your situation it happens to be 10k cheaper per year.

I can't really add more to your original post but do you think it's worth it to save 10k a year to go to Case/Cleveland over Sinai/NYC? That's basically what it comes down to.

I can't really add more to your original post but do you think it's worth it to save 10k a year to go to Case/Cleveland over Sinai/NYC? That's basically what it comes down to.

I completely agree. It basically comes down to this. Unless you are in some sort of serious personal financial hardship situation, I think you should go to Sinai. The experience of living in NYC is really priceless. Also, there are many LGBT peeps in NYC so you will feel right at home.

id go with case western. they have an excellent program and the students seemed REALLY laid back at the interview. :thumbup:

i think ur main concerns here should actually be attending a PBL-heavy curriculum vs. a traditional one, and nyc vs. cleveland, not the 40k.

Status
Not open for further replies.