MSUCOM Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteo44

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just was wondering if any of you guys have looked into any places to live?

Members don't see this ad.

I went and looked at Melrose and Chandler Crossing apartments last week. They were both really nice.

Stay away from cedar village if you want a quiet study environment- but if you like to party often, it may not be so bad for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

My hubbie just got accepted to MSU! I'm hoping to join you all fall 2004! Anyway, we've lived here in East Lansing for the past few years so we have an idea about places to live.

Alijoy, I thought melrose and chandler were the rent-by-the-room type suites which always made me think that it was a haven for beer drinking (read: loud) undergrads. Did you find it to be different?

Also, has anyone asked about parking privledges? I've always assumed that med students parked in the big lot across the tracks from Fee, but I've never heard the official word. It's an important issue, as parking on campus is extremely tricky!

We currently live in Eastpoint Townlets off of Hagadorn, and I highly recommend them, its quiet (mostly grad students and young professionals) they are owned by Amber Apartments (they're really nice) and their website is :

www.amberapartments.com

Well, I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and I'm very jealous that you are a year ahead of me getting in (getting a little tired of my Post-bacc classes with 18 year olds!!)

Take care everyone, and good luck apartment hunting!!

~Soleil~

Soleil,
When I looked at Melrose and Chandler, I found them to be pretty quiet. If you or someone else has heard differently, though, I'd appreciate hearing your opinion. Thanks!

-Ali

As far as parking goes, all med students have the option to buy a parking pass (something ~$180 this year, I think)..With this, you can park in the lot next to the Radiology building (next to the Clinical Center and Life Sciences) I"im not sure where else you can park with it though:)

I'm fairly sure CrashinStoneFish is right about having to pay for parking, and the lot is over by the Life Sciences and Radiology building (the Life Sciences building houses the MD students). However, just in case you didn't know, MD and DO students have their classes together the first year. The parking lot across the tracks from Fee is NOT for medical students; it is for undergraduates living in the dorms (that is where I parked when I lived on campus). Currently, I live in Capstone Commons Apartments, which is next to Chandlers and Melrose. Capstone is similar to these two in that they are all newer complexes, with capstone being the oldest (I believe Capstone is four years old and melrose and chandlers are new this year) There is also another complex next to chandlers which is called Crossing Place apartments. All four of these complexes are about a mile off campus, and they are 90-95% undergraduates. Actually, my brother is living at Chandlers next year and he told me they are building even more apartments. I believe all of these complexes offer 1,2,3, or 4 bedroom apartments. My apartment this year is four bedroom with 2 full baths. They are fairly quiet and I would not be against living here or in the other complexes next year, but I was hoping to find an enviornment with less undergraduates for next year. When I went to one of MSU-COM's open houses, I think I was told that MSU-COM has a website/forum for their students where people can find roommates. I haven't checked this out yet but hopefully I'll get to it this week. I'll let you all know what I find out. Well, I hope this helps even just a little. Again, these places are nice but they are mainly comprised of undergrads. They do offer a lot of ammentities that most apartments near campus do not. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, [email protected].

MSUDO2B,

For places like Capstone, Melrose and Chandler, have you heard anything about how noisy they are? When I looked at them a few weeks ago, they seemed pretty quiet, but I don't know if that's what they're like all the time. Any input you have would be great. Also, do you have the web address for that roommate website that MSUCOM has?

-Ali
[email protected]