How does your residency location impact where you end up living as a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently accepted and am trying to decide between my acceptances. Right now, I am leaning towards KCU-Kansas City.

I heard that 70 percent of residents end up living within 30 miles of where they attended residency. How true is this statement?

I want to live somewhere in the Texas region, so this could impact my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently accepted and am trying to decide between my acceptances. Right now, I am leaning towards KCU-Kansas City.

I heard that 70 percent of residents end up living within 30 miles of where they attended residency. How true is this statement?

I've heard something very similar.

I've heard similar, but how much of it is causation?

How much is self selection? It could be that people have the same regional preference for both residency and post residency. It could be that after living in an area 3-5+ years, they have put down enough roots that the elect to stay in the area. Or it could be convenient. It's easier to conduct a local job search.

Members don't see this ad :)

For what its worth, KCU matched a lot people to Texas

Reactions: 1 user
While there may be an association with residency and living nearby, you can just complete your residency and move anywhere in the US that you like if you can get job there. I would guess that living where you completed residency has to do with having made some connections there. It doesn't mean you have to stay there

Reactions: 1 users
Most people like to go closer to home for residency. Either kids, wife, family, or friends help shape that decision.

So it's not surprising a lot of people go home for residency and then stay in the area forever.

Fwiw, attended a school WAYYY out of state and returned to my home state for residency at a competitive program. N=5,but 4 of us matched where we wanted to settle down, all around the country, and 5/5 were at our #1 or 2 choices.

You're going to have the opportunity to tailor your residency application however you would like. Do you want to maximize chances of residency in texas? There are ways to do that! I know a lot of 3rd year residents who did residency in a different state, and all of them got job offers in their home state. It's not too big of a deal. KCU has a good match list, and pretty wide variety of clinical core sites. It's a good school.