Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Random User. Do you know if many of your classmates were admitted from the waiting list and how and when that happens? Thanks!
I'd love to know more about this, too!

Edit: sorry, saw your reply after is posted this.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed on 4/5/14 and have not yet heard. I am feeling super anxious now! Anyone hear news from that group yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it's always such a popular topic:

As of 5/7, there were ~5,000 total applications for this cycle, 240 people had paid deposits (bear in mind, this is deposits paid, not people fully-committed to joining the class), no offers had been extended to students the week prior to 5/7 or of 5/7, and the adcom will have their last meetings 5/21-22. After the last meeting on 5/22, those on the WL could start contacting Admissions to inquire about any changes to their status.

Reactions: 2 users
Oops I meant to say interviewed 5/5/14. So based on your last statement does that mean we are pretty much all slated for either WL or rejection?

Oops I meant to say interviewed 5/5/14. So based on your last statement does that mean we are pretty much all slated for either WL or rejection?
Not necessarily. There were still, at minimum, 10 open seats as of 5/7.

@randomusername

Thanks for answering all of our questions!!

I'm gonna bug you with another one... Can you give some insight into when we should do our titers and physical? Admissions says to wait until orientation starts but I'm trying to figure out how the timing on that would work since orientation is July 29th-31st and classes start the following Monday.

@randomusername

Thanks for answering all of our questions!!

I'm gonna bug you with another one... Can you give some insight into when we should do our titers and physical? Admissions says to wait until orientation starts but I'm trying to figure out how the timing on that would work since orientation is July 29th-31st and classes start the following Monday.

Everybody goes about doing it differently. I did it well beforehand and my insurance through my parents covered everything and I wasn't out a penny. Other people either don't have insurance/have crappy insurance and either do it during orientation or drag it out as long as possible (I think we may have had some people nearing the end of MS1 before they actually did it). If you wait until orientation/the start of school, it's not the end of the world. You really won't be that busy during orientation and you can manage to find a couple of hours in a day at the start of classes if you need to do it then. If I wasn't going to have it done prior to arriving, I'd just put it off until A) the school gripes at you or B) a break between quarters.

Everybody goes about doing it differently. I did it well beforehand and my insurance through my parents covered everything and I wasn't out a penny. Other people either don't have insurance/have crappy insurance and either do it during orientation or drag it out as long as possible (I think we may have had some people nearing the end of MS1 before they actually did it). If you wait until orientation/the start of school, it's not the end of the world. You really won't be that busy during orientation and you can manage to find a couple of hours in a day at the start of classes if you need to do it then. If I wasn't going to have it done prior to arriving, I'd just put it off until A) the school gripes at you or B) a break between quarters.

Thanks. Admissions made it sound like if they weren't done before the first day of class you wouldn't be allowed in.

Thanks. Admissions made it sound like if they weren't done before the first day of class you wouldn't be allowed in.
It's possible they could always tighten up on this a bit, but they really haven't since I've been here.

You interviewed in April and haven't heard back?

Might want to give them a call and see what's up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my typo, interviewed 5/5 not 4/5... hopefully hear in the next few days... !!

Members don't see this ad :)
me too! ahhh i don't want to over think this but an accepted student checklist is potentially a good sign right?
Interviewed 5/2 didn't get a call or email but got the accepted student checklist in the MWU login

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance. Got accepted to my top choice! Hope someone here gets my spot!

I was accepted to AZCOM yesterday! I just paid my deposit! Overall GPA: 3.5, Sci GPA: 3.2. Mcat: 30

Congratulations! This gives me hope (I have one acceptance I'm happy with, but AZCOM was my favorite).
Thank you! I hope you get in too! It's great that you have another option though!

How did you find out? Email, phonecall, or just checking the portal?
The quickest (and potentially only) way you'll find out about an acceptance is on the portal. For a rejection, WL, or no portal change after when you'd expect to see one, you'll have to call Admissions.

How did you find out? Email, phonecall, or just checking the portal?
Yeah, as randomusername said, I checked the portal, and I was able to access the "accepted student checklist."

As someone who work-studies at Student Services, where titer paperwork is submitted, this is definitely not the case.

Word of advice to incoming students on the apartment hunt: Stay away from San Prado Apartments. After moving here I realized there are SO many cheaper and better managed places around. PM for more details

WARNING: if you pick west valley, you will be training in the phoenix VA hospital that is in the news. I would run if you got accepted, unless you want to deal with physicians being investigated for criminal negligence and fraud.

Being associated with those physicians or that hospital is a big risk when it comes for residency because your clinical grades might be meaningless. It is hard to take an A seriously from physicians who have a history of systematically falsifying information.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt of course. But, I would really think twice before matriculating.

WARNING: if you pick west valley, you will be training in the phoenix VA hospital that is in the news. I would run if you got accepted, unless you want to deal with physicians being investigated for criminal negligence and fraud.

Being associated with those physicians or that hospital is a big risk when it comes for residency because your clinical grades might be meaningless. It is hard to take an A seriously from physicians who have a history of systematically falsifying information.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt of course. But, I would really think twice before matriculating.

I haven't heard anything about this. Got an internet article?

Dude, no. Just, no.

I was WV and never once set foot in the VA, however, had I, my rotation would've been fine. I had a number of classmates who had excellent rotations through the VA- and all of this is coming from someone disgusted by the recent scandal and who doesn't shy away from pointing out that some of AZCOM's rotations/preceptors are crap.

Also, you know about as much about how applying and matching for residency works as the average pre-med (which isn't much). Residencies don't receive a list of each rotation you've taken, where you've taken it, and who your attending was. They get a transcript that lists the course and grade. The only chance they'd be privy to info like with who/where you attended a rotation would be if the attending wrote you a LOR or you told them yourself in your PS or interview.

Dude, no. Just, no.

I was WV and never once set foot in the VA, however, had I, my rotation would've been fine. I had a number of classmates who had excellent rotations through the VA- and all of this is coming from someone disgusted by the recent scandal and who doesn't shy away from pointing out that some of AZCOM's rotations/preceptors are crap.

Also, you know about as much about how applying and matching for residency works as the average pre-med (which isn't much). Residencies don't receive a list of each rotation you've taken, where you've taken it, and who your attending was. They get a transcript that lists the course and grade. The only chance they'd be privy to info like with who/where you attended a rotation would be if the attending wrote you a LOR or you told them yourself in your PS or interview.
This is not coming from me. This is coming from a doctor who interviews/picks out rads residents at a md school. I don't claim to be an expert. The doctor I talk to does though.

I didn't think it was a big deal until the us pres stepped up and made a big o' stank out of it (justifiably so). People did allegedly die due to the lack of care. Now the senate is crafting a new bill because of this whole incident.

Source:
http://t.news.msn.com/us/senate-to-take-up-new-va-bill-after-scandal

The press will go away, but it is such a big offense that they are creating new laws to "address" this issue.

Also, this isn't a comment on azcom, just the va, where you would rotate if you do go to azcom.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, but it just doesn't pass the sniff test (for me at least). Buyer beware!

This is not coming from me. This is coming from a doctor who interviews/picks out rads residents at a md school. I don't claim to be an expert. The doctor I talk to does though.

I didn't think it was a big deal until the us pres stepped up and made a big o' stank out of it (justifiably so). People did allegedly die due to the lack of care. Now the senate is crafting a new bill because of this whole incident.

Source:
http://t.news.msn.com/us/senate-to-take-up-new-va-bill-after-scandal

The press will go away, but it is such a big offense that they are creating new laws to "address" this issue.

Also, this isn't a comment on azcom, just the va, where you would rotate if you do go to azcom.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, but it just doesn't pass the sniff test (for me at least). Buyer beware!

I'd take their opinion with a massive grain of salt. That's n=1 program faculty. I'd group anybody who holds rotating through a VA Hospital/Clinic against you in the same category of people who still hold being a DO against applicants. It's absurd and one would be better off not ending up there anyway.

Yes, this is a huge deal for the VA, particularly the one in Phoenix, but it's not a huge deal for people rotating through any of them. Tons of schools, both MD/DO send students to VA hospitals, and I'm pretty sure UofA sends students to the one in Phoenix as well. There are also a ton of residencies with VA affiliations/rotations. I'd be more willing to believe these residents would face more discrimination from future employers/partners than a med student would, but I still highly doubt they face any issues.

Yes, I realize you feel you're being a "good SDN citizen" by warning people, but, even as a frequent critic of certain things related to MWU/AZCOM, I'm not going to sit by and let a ton of misinformation and poor speculation about the school/risks of attending the school get spread (whether intentional or not) without throwing in some rebuttals.

I'd take their opinion with a massive grain of salt. That's n=1 program faculty. I'd group anybody who holds rotating through a VA Hospital/Clinic against you in the same category of people who still hold being a DO against applicants. It's absurd and one would be better off not ending up there anyway.

Yes, this is a huge deal for the VA, particularly the one in Phoenix, but it's not a huge deal for people rotating through any of them. Tons of schools, both MD/DO send students to VA hospitals, and I'm pretty sure UofA sends students to the one in Phoenix as well. There are also a ton of residencies with VA affiliations/rotations. I'd be more willing to believe these residents would face more discrimination from future employers/partners than a med student would, but I still highly doubt they face any issues.

Yes, I realize you feel you're being a "good SDN citizen" by warning people, but, even as a frequent critic of certain things related to MWU/AZCOM, I'm not going to sit by and let a ton of misinformation and poor speculation about the school/risks of attending the school get spread (whether intentional or not) without throwing in some rebuttals.

Feel free to disagree. I literally have no horse in this race.

If you feel that rotating at the very va hospital that is literally undergoing criminal investigations for fraud and criminal negligence, and is the very muse for new laws is fine, then be my guest. Of course, I don't understand the minutia that goes into residency applications. But to me, this is obviously a major red flag. I wouldn't mess with them. People died. I would never EVER want to be associated with people/physicians like that, not just in medicine but in life in general. I'd choose east valley or other places. You think it is ok. I don't. We just see things differently.

This isn't a smear campaign (that is the media's job). Just presenting the facts as I see them.

Just to be clear, I am not spreading misinformation. I have provided links to all of my claims. And with speculation when it comes to residency, it is pure common sense. What happens when you need lor? What happens when they ask you about your rotations? It is a little naïve to think that this won't somehow come up. To me, there is something innately wrong with trying to hide information about where you rotated, because it implies that there is something not right with the hospital where you gained your clinical experience at. Regardless of your familiarity with the match process, that just doesn't pass the sniff test.

On a different note... anyone heard anything from Alternate list? any movement?

Feel free to disagree. I literally have no horse in this race.

If you feel that rotating at the very va hospital that is literally undergoing criminal investigations for fraud and criminal negligence, and is the very muse for new laws is fine, then be my guest. Of course, I don't understand the minutia that goes into residency applications. But to me, this is obviously a major red flag. I wouldn't mess with them. People died. I would never EVER want to be associated with people/physicians like that, not just in medicine but in life in general. I'd choose east valley or other places. You think it is ok. I don't. We just see things differently.

This isn't a smear campaign (that is the media's job). Just presenting the facts as I see them.

Just to be clear, I am not spreading misinformation. I have provided links to all of my claims. And with speculation when it comes to residency, it is pure common sense. What happens when you need lor? What happens when they ask you about your rotations? It is a little naïve to think that this won't somehow come up. To me, there is something innately wrong with trying to hide information about where you rotated, because it implies that there is something not right with the hospital where you gained your clinical experience at. Regardless of your familiarity with the match process, that just doesn't pass the sniff test.

But the problem is you're not just informing, you're extrapolating the effect it will have in residency PD's eyes which you obviously have no idea about. This is what randomusername is referring to and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
But the problem is you're not just informing, you're extrapolating the effect it will have in residency PD's eyes which you obviously have no idea about. This is what randomusername is referring to and I wholeheartedly agree with him.
There is a fundamental disagreement in terms of philosophy between me and that va hospital, which is the Hippocratic oath. They knowingly and willingly violated the Hippocratic oath. People died as a result of their deception. Died. Remember that. I could never respect physicians and nurses who violated the Hippocratic oath. And a lot other physicians/pd will see that come time for the match.

If being associated with a hospital that is literally the very reason for new laws to be written is fine with you, then more power to you. I would not want to be involved in this s***storm. My education and career is too important to chance it.

I have close ties to that medical school, so of courses I am going to listen to him. He is on the board for that entire school of medicine, and I want to go to their residency program. N=1, but that is all you need sometimes when you have an in. The PD that I would have been wooing would know, and hold it against me. That is a deal breaker for me.

I have presented my case. It is up to you to decide.

I'm not posting anymore. Do as you wish. I fulfilled my obligation. I truly wish everyone the best of luck. I understand it is a tough decision, since it might be your only acceptance, but walking away from azcom and that va was the best decision in my life.

Last edited:

I'll tack on to what you're saying by adding that it was a physician who blew the whistle on all of this. From what I understand it appears to be more of an administrative issue rather than a reflection of the quality of physicians or medicine being practiced by the providers in the VA system.

Last edited:
I'll tack on to what you're saying by adding that it was a physician who blew the whistle on all of this. From what I understand it appears to be more of an administrative issue rather than a reflection of the quality of physicians or medicine being practices by the providers in the VA system.
That is literally not what Dr. Foot said.

I'll tack on to what you're saying by adding that it was a physician who blew the whistle on all of this. From what I understand it appears to be more of an administrative issue rather than a reflection of the quality of physicians or medicine being practiced by the providers in the VA system.

I have to agree. It's absolutely unacceptable, but does seem to be an administrative problem, not a physician problem. The Phoenix VA is rated pretty poorly in care as well in comparison to other VAs, but that is a different issue.

That is literally not what Dr. Foot said.
That is literally what he's been implying: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ix-va-hospital-may-tied-delayed-care/7537521/
Direct Quote: "They (administrators) just don't respect any rules at all," Foote said. "They just don't care. ... They beat me to the ground. I retired just exactly so I could do this."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/politics/va-hospitals-shinseki/
"The VA administrators got way too focused on having good numbers and they forgot the most important mandate, the reason we all work at the VA -- to take care of veterans, to save their lives and give them good medical care," Dr. Sam Foote said.

"The next secretary's biggest challenge will be to get that refocused and make sure the number one job is taking care of veterans - not worrying about their bureaucratic careers," Foote added.

From what I can discern from everything I've heard/read, the vast majority of the issues rest with the administrators (who were receiving bonuses when things like wait-times were short) in the VA, and not the clinicians. Most clinicians I know don't even know how many people they're going to see the next day in their office until they arrive in the morning-- they certainly don't know how many people are waiting to see them or how long they've been waiting.

Regardless, I believe at the core of the issue, we both agree that what has been going on at the VA in general is deplorable. I'm also certain that we'll never agree on the effects this will have on future residency applicants, at least not until this year's class matches and we can see how they fare. With that being said, hopefully this thread can resume its purpose of informing applicants/incoming MS1s regarding the school and all other VA talk can take place in threads dedicated to it.

I think I personally knew someone who was treated there and got horrible care. He passed away a few weeks ago.

This is terrible.

Has anyone has any luck with the alternate list? I called admissions today and they told me the alternate list was something like 240 deep. It was only like 130 when I was on checked about 2 weeks ago. I was also told that the last meeting of the admissions committee was in the middle of May but it seems possible that they did another round of interviews of something.

Has anyone has any luck with the alternate list? I called admissions today and they told me the alternate list was something like 240 deep. It was only like 130 when I was on checked about 2 weeks ago. I was also told that the last meeting of the admissions committee was in the middle of May but it seems possible that they did another round of interviews of something.

I interviewed here first week on May and was placed on the alternate list.

Lol, the alternate list apparently doubled??

I interviewed here first week on May and was placed on the alternate list.

Lol, the alternate list apparently doubled??

Yep I was also in the first week of May. I guess they keep interviewing until they have enough alternates to replace the whole class if needs be.