Midwestern C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the end of my interview day they handed out a packet with financial details. In that packet it said they expect tuition to rise by at least 4% EVERY year. If I remember correctly, they predicted the average yearly tuition for the class of 2022 to be something like $65k. As for how one might pay that off? Lol (lots of loans)
Oh good Lord lol well...I guess if you are already in crushing debt what is another 4% XD

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone decide on a stethoscope yet? I'm caught between Littmann cardiology IV and the master cardiology

Anyone decide on a stethoscope yet? I'm caught between Littmann cardiology IV and the master cardiology

I had a littmann cardiology III for the past 8 (? Ish?) years and decided to upgrade the other day (a little birdie told me that my work would pay for it :banana:). A doctor at my work uses the master so I tested his out but I'm not a fan, I prefer having both the pediatric and adult bells. I have heard vets recommend the master of you're interested in mainly pursuing equine/LA exclusively; cardiology IV if planning on SA/mixed.
If you plan on paying out of pocket for your, I would potentially wait and see if there are any reps that come into the classes and offer discounted ordering for first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a littmann cardiology III for the past 8 (? Ish?) years and decided to upgrade the other day (a little birdie told me that my work would pay for it :banana:). A doctor at my work uses the master so I tested his out but I'm not a fan, I prefer having both the pediatric and adult bells. I have heard vets recommend the master of you're interested in mainly pursuing equine/LA exclusively; cardiology IV if planning on SA/mixed.
If you plan on paying out of pocket for your, I would potentially wait and see if there are any reps that come into the classes and offer discounted ordering for first semester.
Thanks for the advice! Did you end up getting the cardiology iv? And my birthday is in August so someone is actually going to buy me one for my birthday!

Has anyone heard if there's been any more movement on the Alternate List?
I'm currently starting re-applications on VMCAS for the next cycle but I'm caught between holding out the tiniest sliver of hope to hear any news from the MWU waitlist but I want to get apps sent out ASAP to other schools for the next cycle. Does anyone know when the best time to send apps out for the 2019 cycle is?

I want to get apps sent out ASAP to other schools for the next cycle. Does anyone know when the best time to send apps out for the 2019 cycle is?
If you’re bulking up on experience this summer, I’d wait until later in the cycle. There isn’t really a benefit to submitting earlier to most(all?) schools in the US, as they’re the ones who say they don’t look at apps until after the cycle closes.
Have you done file reviews to see where you can improve for this coming cycle? If you have, do what you can to improve and don’t submit until you do. If you haven’t, set those up now!!!!! With every school you applied to that offers them. Then do as much as you can to improve your app and then submit later in the cycle (most people submit mid-to-late August and it’s fine, I personally submitted in September both cycles).

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re bulking up on experience this summer, I’d wait until later in the cycle. There isn’t really a benefit to submitting earlier to most(all?) schools in the US, as they’re the ones who say they don’t look at apps until after the cycle closes.
Have you done file reviews to see where you can improve for this coming cycle? If you have, do what you can to improve and don’t submit until you do. If you haven’t, set those up now!!!!! With every school you applied to that offers them. Then do as much as you can to improve your app and then submit later in the cycle (most people submit mid-to-late August and it’s fine, I personally submitted in September both cycles).
How do I set up a file review? The only place I applied to this cycle was Midwestern since I wasn't familiar with the application process, but this year I'm planning to apply to a lot more schools!

How do I set up a file review? The only place I applied to this cycle was Midwestern since I wasn't familiar with the application process, but this year I'm planning to apply to a lot more schools!
Contact admissions and ask if you can do one. They’ll tell you what you can improve on your app that’ll improve your chances of being accepted.
Good luck with your apps this year!!!

Contact admissions and ask if you can do one. They’ll tell you what you can improve on your app that’ll improve your chances of being accepted.
Good luck with your apps this year!!!
Fantastic, I will contact admissions tomorrow once everyone is back from Memorial Day! Thank you so much for the help!!
Thank you!!! I'm super excited to get apps sent out and hopefully hear some good news from one of my top choice schools!!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone looking for housing near Midwestern? Send me a DM! I have a room for rent.

Anyone know if attendance is mandatory and if they record lectures and post them/if you're allowed to record lectures?

Anyone know if attendance is mandatory and if they record lectures and post them/if you're allowed to record lectures?
Not sure about mandatory attendance, but they do record all lectures (according to campus tour).
But why wouldn't you want to attend the lecture??

Members don't see this ad :)
Current 3rd year student. Attendance is mandatory for certain labs and such, but not necessarily for class. However, some professors give out pop quizzes, so it helps to go to those classes. Lecture slides are provided for each lecture. It depends on the professor if this is done before or after the lecture, since sometimes they try to motivate students to come to class by not giving complete slides beforehand. Also, most lectures are recorded, but sometimes there are technical errors so some lectures might not be available. Additionally, this will depend on where the class is being held, since some rooms don't have recording devices yet (this may change before you guys start though). I hope that helps!

Not sure about mandatory attendance, but they do record all lectures (according to campus tour).
I do intend to go to every lecture...I was just wondering incase there was ever a time where I wasn't feeling super well or if I needed to study hard before a test in another class that day

Current 3rd year student. Attendance is mandatory for certain labs and such, but not necessarily for class. However, some professors give out pop quizzes, so it helps to go to those classes. Lecture slides are provided for each lecture. It depends on the professor if this is done before or after the lecture, since sometimes they try to motivate students to come to class by not giving complete slides beforehand. Also, most lectures are recorded, but sometimes there are technical errors so some lectures might not be available. Additionally, this will depend on where the class is being held, since some rooms don't have recording devices yet (this may change before you guys start though). I hope that helps!
Thanks so much! Good to know

Some people watch them again to study or catch things they missed the first time, some people get sick or have an appointment and miss class, some people just plain learn better by watching from their house and not sitting in lecture all day and being able to pause when needed and go to the bathroom or get a snack or just get up and move for a minute. There’s plenty of reasons to not be in lecture for a day or multiple or just want to be able to rewatch them. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Lecture is not mandatory for most classes and most classes are recorded and put online but I highly highly recommend going to class until you can figure out which ones you can skip. Some professors point things out on the PowerPoints and you can’t see that on the recorded lectures and some professors (*cough* Dr. Heese for anatomy *cough* sometimes does pop quizzes or attendance for extra credit).

How much would you guys estimate for the cost of books? I found that in undergrad I didn't always need them or find them helpful, but am not sure what to expect for vet school.

Anyone else notice that our curriculum for class of 2022 is different than class of 2021 and we don't have the "Fundamentals of Animal Genetics & Nutrition" course? I feel like that's a really important class so I hope it gets integrated elsewhere..

Yeah but they made biochem a prerequisite this year so we already took that in undergrad. Large animal theriogenology also seems important...I'm just not large animal oriented so I forgot to mention that :lame:. I also noticed that MWU doesn't have a neuro course which all other schools have so I hope these things are just integrated into other courses because nutrition and neurology are so important

Yeah but they made biochem a prerequisite this year so we already took that in undergrad. Large animal theriogenology also seems important...I'm just not large animal oriented so I forgot to mention that :lame:. I also noticed that MWU doesn't have a neuro course which all other schools have so I hope these things are just integrated into other courses because nutrition and neurology are so important
Maybe they are elective courses now instead? That's my hope anyway

How much would you guys estimate for the cost of books? I found that in undergrad I didn't always need them or find them helpful, but am not sure what to expect for vet school.
I wouldn’t buy any books until you know you need them. I bought a couple books and didn’t open one of them. I will, however, recommend the anatomy coloring book! I loved it. Some people recommend the physiology book but I didn’t use mine at all. All the info you need for the exams is on the PowerPoints!

I wouldn’t buy any books until you know you need them. I bought a couple books and didn’t open one of them. I will, however, recommend the anatomy coloring book! I loved it. Some people recommend the physiology book but I didn’t use mine at all. All the info you need for the exams is on the PowerPoints!
Thank you so much, that's extremely helpful!

I applied this year and was not offered an interview. I recently graduated from a masters program and was wondering if anyone had success this cycle when reapplying to midwestern after getting their masters.
I was accepted to another program but due to family reasons I may have to reapply next cycle instead.
Thank you in advance

I applied this year and was not offered an interview. I recently graduated from a masters program and was wondering if anyone had success this cycle when reapplying to midwestern after getting their masters.
I was accepted to another program but due to family reasons I may have to reapply next cycle instead.
Thank you in advance

I personally didn't get a degree, but quite a few of my classmates had a better application year after completing a master's in general. That will also depend on the upcoming pool of applicants as usual, as well as other factors (academics, GRE, experience, etc.) Of your application.
Best of luck this cycle!!

Thank you in advance

Hey there!

I don’t have a masters but I was accepted on my second round of applying! So I would say don’t be discouraged and keep trying. Did you know that Midwestern has rolling admissions? You can apply through their website if you don’t want to wait for VMCAS to reopen. It will still be for the next class but I thought you might like to know. I know a girl who did that. She only applied to Midwestern. I didn’t get her background (other than she was going to move with him to whatever school he got into) but her boyfriend who applied to more than one school through VMCAS also got in. I can give you some stats. Class of 2022 had over a thousand applications. There’s 121 members of the class and it’s their largest admitted class so far. 22 members of our class are men, 14 of us are from Arizona. Most of the applicants, 23, came from California. The rest came from a bit of everywhere-including Puerto Rico. Everyone truly has different backgrounds. My new friend was a biochemistry major. I’m a traditional biology major but with a certificate in wildlife management and ecology. I have a lot of veterinary experience and wildife rehabilitation experience. My GRE scores were pretty average (below average for math). I got C’s in Ochem (embarrassing but true and I retook it a lot). I’m a bit older (30) because my path to vet med was a bit longer. A lot of people have no real technician/veterinary experience. But they have other interesting backgrounds like in research or they have masters. I don’t know the academic stats but they will post them on their site for next year- these are just some of the things I learned at orientation. Also Midwestern says they expanded their desire to accept students late. At first, they believed in having a cut off time in the summer to just make everything more organized but if someone leaves or fails to accept their position- they decided who are we to deny the next person on the list a chance to be here. They informed someone from Florida the day before classes started that they were accepted (I think class of 21) She had to fly out and her family brought her stuff later. Even though that creates pressure and stress and a lot of hard work to get here- they believed that a student being informed late would rather come than have to reapply. Obviously, it pretty much only happens up until classes begin but still it’s something. With that in mind, I would say if you want to be here- reapply. Your masters is absolutely an asset. They want a diverse class. It’s just really tough when you can only let that 10% of your applicants in. There are more people applying to each school than spots available. Also if you can- I’d find a way for you to tell them you declined another seat to go to Midwestern. Let them know that this school is the best fit for you. Make those family reasons work for you! Good luck!

Thank you in advance

Hello! Not sure if you are still curious, but I received my masters before going to veterinary school and was recently accepted to Midwestern! If you have any questions feel free to message me, I'd be happy to help!

Not sure if anyone still checks in on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about the current class of 2022?! I'm currently a student at SGU in the Caribbean but I'm looking to transfer to Midwestern at the start of the first year's third quarter (so in February). I've already emailed admissions and I've yet to hear back, so I was hoping to get some incite if anyone knows of other transfers happening? Typically schools will only consider transfer students if a spot opens up (i.e. someone drops out, takes a leave of absence, etc.). Thanks in advance!

OSU takes a ton of transfer students from the Caribbean year two. I'd check with them. Oregon State.

OSU takes a ton of transfer students from the Caribbean year two. I'd check with them. Oregon State.

Thanks for the heads up! I've actually already contacted them as well; however, I'm looking into transferring before the start of a new school year.

well if they have openings, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it. schools do not like having empty seats. so good for you for going for it!

Thanks for the heads up! I've actually already contacted them as well; however, I'm looking into transferring before the start of a new school year.
I'm a first year at K- State and we've had 2 students take a medical leave in my class. Not sure how transferring works though tbh

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I'm a first year at K- State and we've had 2 students take a medical leave in my class. Not sure how transferring works though tbh

I've also been in contact with KSU, so that's good to know. Thanks!

Not sure if anyone still checks in on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about the current class of 2022?! I'm currently a student at SGU in the Caribbean but I'm looking to transfer to Midwestern at the start of the first year's third quarter (so in February). I've already emailed admissions and I've yet to hear back, so I was hoping to get some incite if anyone knows of other transfers happening? Typically schools will only consider transfer students if a spot opens up (i.e. someone drops out, takes a leave of absence, etc.). Thanks in advance!
I did at one time hear one of the deans state that Midwestern would not be able to take transfer students due to certain courses we offer that are not offered at other schools. Not sure if this is still the case!

Hello class of 2022!
Hope all is going well!
I have been accepted to Midwestern’s c/o 2023 and am from New Mexico (so I am a WICHE applicant). Is there anyone in your class of 2022 who applied as WICHE and received WICHE? During my interview, the financial aid presenters said that if a student receives WICHE, Midwestern would get together with WICHE to ensure there is a decrease in tuition.
I am just curious to see if anyone has received wiche and what that did to your tuition at MWU.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions! To the best of my knowledge we've had at least 1-2 students leave.

Hello class of 2022!
Hope all is going well!
I have been accepted to Midwestern’s c/o 2023 and am from New Mexico (so I am a WICHE applicant). Is there anyone in your class of 2022 who applied as WICHE and received WICHE? During my interview, the financial aid presenters said that if a student receives WICHE, Midwestern would get together with WICHE to ensure there is a decrease in tuition.
I am just curious to see if anyone has received wiche and what that did to your tuition at MWU.

Just fyi no one in c/o 2022 received wiche as this is a new thing as of this application cycle from my understanding.

Just fyi no one in c/o 2022 received wiche as this is a new thing as of this application cycle from my understanding.

Oh awesome. That’s great to know. I was going to apply last cycle and they told me they would take it if I received it. But I decided to take a gap year instead. Thank you for the information!