Michigan State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosemma

MSU CVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else her from Michigan? I went to file review on 11/19 and they say you should hear within 3-5 weeks about your interview. I haven't heard yet and it is going on 6 weeks. Any updates would be great!

**Sorry to post this as it's own thread after I posted it under the interview thread - I just wanted more people to possible see it**

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything either. I went into file review on 12/5 so it's been about 3 weeks. I called at the end of November (i think) and they said that my application was in batch 3 and not to expect anything until sometime in January. Give them a call. The woman that I spoke with was more than willing to help me. :) Good luck!

hey

i go to MSU and had my interview on 12/4. I think the director of admissions said interviews for the two other groups were in jan and feb. also, i found out maybe around novemeber 19th or something for my december 4th interview. ivette is the women to speak with when you call the admissions office. i think sometimes they do interviews after these dates as well. i was probably in file review for 4 weeks. they are also good with answering emails.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
when i log in to see my status page, I dodn't even see where it says "file review" Where is this on your pages??

The file review information is in the box under the supplemental application information box in a box entitled File Review Information.

I have pretty much given up on MSU. My status went to file review on 10/22 and I still haven't heard anything!

My app for Michigan also went into file review on 11/19 and I have not heard anything from them either. =( I'm getting antsy too! The only schools I have heard back from are Kansas (got an interview) and UPenn (got a rejection letter). I feel like giving up on Iowa b/c people are getting interviews and I've heard nothing... ahhh!! I wish it was the end of January already!

I feel like giving up on Iowa b/c people are getting interviews and I've heard nothing... ahhh!! I wish it was the end of January already!

Same here. I had called a while ago and they told me that the majority of the interview invites were going out last week. So since I haven't heard anything, I guess I didn't get one. I suppose it's also possible that they didn't get as many out as they had intended (though certainly some people were getting invites last week, so that's probably wishful thinking). I just really wish more people on this forum were applying to Iowa so we could get a better read (i.e. wild@$$ guess) on our status.

Sigh. Oh well, at least Christmas was fun. :)

The file review information is in the box under the supplemental application information box in a box entitled File Review Information.

Mine doesn't have that box at all. Therte's nothing. It shows my supp. app info, letters of rec recieved, transcripts, GRE scores, etc, but there's nothing there for file review in mine at all. There never has been. Wierd.

VAgirl- I haven't heard from Iowa either. It is their first year interview though, so I'm sure things are a little hectic for them.

VAgirl- I haven't heard from Iowa either. It is their first year interview though, so I'm sure things are a little hectic for them.

Good point...I hadn't thought of that.

BTW...sorry for hijacking the Michigan thread. :)

Still nothing from MSU. Waiting. If the second batch of interviews is in January then when do we start hearing about them? Soon, I hope!

I was guessing we won't hear anything until next week. Most colleges won't be back running full operations until next week anyway with the holidays and all.

So I'm pretty sure I got deferred to be re-evaluated with the next round of interviewees since my interview. I haven't received any notice, and if I were accepted I should have by now :( It's just so frustrating when you look back at your first application (last year for me) and realize it was $h!t, but I still got alternate listed. This year things seem sooooo much better, my interview was amazing, I don't get it. I guess all I really want is to be wanted right off the bat! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
"I guess all I really want is to be wanted right off the bat! "

I second that!!!!!

When you get invited to interview does your status change from "file review" to something else? I just don't know if there is a point to keep checking my status or not.

It should say "file review" when they are actively looking at your app (if I am not mistaken, and I could be!)

Michigan State is stressing me out!! ahhh!!! rar.....

email us Michigan and put us out of our misery!! :eek:

This year things seem sooooo much better, my interview was amazing, I don't get it.

Rex it is very likely a combo of your not taking the acceptance off the alternate list last year and the competition (usually gets more intense with higher app numbers each year). Hope it works out for you though:luck:

Rex it is very likely a combo of your not taking the acceptance off the alternate list last year and the competition (usually gets more intense with higher app numbers each year). Hope it works out for you though:luck:

It isn't as though I simply chose not to go to Michigan last year, I had not completed a pre-req, and was therefore not eligable for admission. Maybe MSU is upset, but the way it was explained to me in my post-mortem interview is that if I completed the class and re-applied, my chances would be much better for the following year. This is why I am so confused.

You just have to complete pre-reqs before vet school classes start, right? You couldn't finish the one pre-req the summer before you started? You don't need to have them all completed when you are admitted.

I am aware of this, but my situation was not quite so simple.

Sorry I want trying to sound like I was rubbing it in your face or thinking you were stupid, I was asking because I was worried. I am in a similar situation and I just wanted to make sure we didn't have to have all of our pre-reqs done before we were accepted. Thanks for replying and sorry!

No problem. And you were correct when you said that all the pre-reqs have to be finished by the time you matriculate. For what its worth, the fact that you have outstanding pre-reqs does not usually hurt your evaluation as long as there is evidence that you will be able to complete them.

When you get invited to interview does your status change from "file review" to something else? I just don't know if there is a point to keep checking my status or not.

You will get an email that invites you to the interview, then your online status will change to "interview."

I was moved to file review on 12/5 also, and I was on the alternate list last year, and I am also waiting to hear something. This is so frustrating. I thought the first round of interviews was all out of state applicants. Is that not the case? I thought I saw that someone from Michigan State was already interviewed.

I was moved to file review on 12/5 also, and I was on the alternate list last year, and I am also waiting to hear something. This is so frustrating. I thought the first round of interviews was all out of state applicants. Is that not the case? I thought I saw that someone from Michigan State was already interviewed.

First round if interviews was a mix of michigan residents and out of staters. i was in the first round and also went to MSU.

Good luck!

My app STILL doesn't say file review under my account, but I was told early this year I was in the 2nd batch. Should I email them or just let it go. The last thing I want to do is annoy anyone. But I had course work over 8 years old and they approved it.....so they had the chance to 'get rid' of my app early on and didn't. Urgh! :eek:

I don't want to make you feel any worse than this website already does, but they told me earlier this year when I talked on the phone with them that I would be in Batch 1 for an interview, and that obviously was not true. I would not feel annoying about calling them at all. I called them so many times over the summer to make sure they had everything. You can also never trust what they say. I have an email from June telling me that they had my transcripts. Then, when they received my application in August, I called them and they said they did not have them. Then they found them before I sent them again. Basically what I am saying is this whole process is really frustrating and do whatever will give you peace of mind. Good luck!

Emailed Michigan today to see where I stand this is what they told me:
"Congratulations you went to File Review on 11/19; invitation for interviews will be sent out until February. Please check your e-mail during the first week of February or even the last week of January."
Hopefully this means I will be getting an invite, but I just don't know at this point. I hope this helps those of you who have been in review for a while!

It isn't as though I simply chose not to go to Michigan last year, I had not completed a pre-req, and was therefore not eligable for admission. Maybe MSU is upset, but the way it was explained to me in my post-mortem interview is that if I completed the class and re-applied, my chances would be much better for the following year. This is why I am so confused.
I remember your story Rex, I was just giving you an honest opinion from someone who has seen the adcom side of admissions. If I were reviewing your application and knew you did not complete your prereqs for a school you were an alternate for, it would lead me to doubt your dedication to being a vet student (I know that is harsh, but that is how it looks, like you did not take your alternate status seriously). The other part I mentioned is that each year admission becomes more competetive so you may get alternate listed again (hopefully not regected) if your application is not much improved from last year's (which from what you said seems like it has).

:luck:Good luck!

I had coursework over 8 years old and it went to Dean's review ... came back saying I needed to retake 4 classes, including Biology I and II!! I can't believe I have a B.S. in Biology and have been working in the field since my graduation and they expect me to retake Bio I and II. I could have lived with the other course choices, but I'm also missing 3 that I never took so that comes to 7 classes total. There's no way I could get that done this semester. So I pretty much guess I'm out (although I haven't heard from them since). If I knew I was at least being considered I would jump through the hoops and get all the courses done. I e-mailed the admissions counselor looking for advice on whether it was worth it to quit my job and go to school full time this semester, which I was willing to do if I was a strong candidate, and I never got a return e-mail. So - moral of the story is, for you non-trads out there, beware!!!

I remember your story Rex, I was just giving you an honest opinion from someone who has seen the adcom side of admissions. If I were reviewing your application and knew you did not complete your prereqs for a school you were an alternate for, it would lead me to doubt your dedication to being a vet student (I know that is harsh, but that is how it looks, like you did not take your alternate status seriously). The other part I mentioned is that each year admission becomes more competetive so you may get alternate listed again (hopefully not regected) if your application is not much improved from last year's (which from what you said seems like it has).

:luck:Good luck!

i see your point, it's just hard to swallow. i did what I feasably could, and its tough to think that it still may not be good enough :(

Does anyone know how many what are the post interview chances to get accepted?

Thanks

AHHHHH!!!!

I almost just want a rejection letter. The suspense is killing me! :(

It seems that last year a LOT of people had interviews with Michigan from the SDN. This year, there are so few. Are they interviewing fewer?? I know they didn't interview as early this year as they did last year.

My status page hasn't budged. I guess I'll break down and email them...

Here's what I was told by Ivette via email yesterday (she is so helpful)-

"Out state applicants are schedule to interview in February. We will have interviews from February 11 thru February 22. Notification will be sent out via e-mail the first week of February (or end of January).

This month is meanly Michigan applicants."

Hope this helps, but it doesn't help alleviate much anxiety-I was placed in file review 11/19.

I just got an email back saying that my "application is still active". Which tells me nothing when you think about it. But, thx Mickey for your post. Gives me some hope I guess. I applied in August, so this wait is killin me!

I'm so confused by Michigan. I thought that they had rolling admissions and that the earlier you applied then the earlier you would get a decision. That certainly doesn't seem to be the case. I went to file review on 10/22 and haven't heard anything (I applied in early sept) and poor philomycus applied in August and hasn't heard anything either. I don't get it :confused:

NEVER SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha banditalfi... you are right!! well, I emailed them yesterday and the lady wrote me back with this:

"Invitation for interviews is going to go out until February.
We will have interviews from February 11 thru February 22.
Check your e-mail at the end of January or first week of
February."

So... I guess that means if we don't get an interview invite by
the first week of February... we can expect disappointment!

Are they interviewing fewer?

Actually, they are interviewing 50 more, which explains why it is taking longer to hear from them, but not why less people on here are hearing from them. Don't give up hope!

Do you mean that they're interviewing 50 more than last year? And are these 50 in-state/OOS/both?

50 more total, in state and out :)

well after spending the last hour or so making myself more and more anxious reading everyone's recent interview/acceptance notes...thought i'd make my first post...

esp for Rebeki...if it's any consolation, I was moved to file review on 10/22 and still haven't gotten any word from MSU as to an interview/rejection.
i emailed them around 12/27 and was informed i was still in the file review process...so, maybe there's still hope?

Thanks chordy4...I hope we're still both in the running...best of luck to you:luck:

I called MSU today to see if there has been any re-review to my app/interveiw/whatever. They said that my app is still active, got thrown back into the reviewing pile (as in, they couldn't make a decision based on my interview so they don't want to reject me, but aren't sure i am quite good enough just yet). so i asked if i could expect a response at a certain time, just to be aware of how things are going. they said that they can send out acceptance/rejections as late as april 1st. so don't give up just yet people.... there may be a REALLY long wait ahead of us :scared:

Does big envelope = acceptance and small envelope = rejection?

Also, do they email you acceptance before they snail mail it?

I am starting to get very nervous!

For c/o 2010, it was snail mail only. I don't know about small envelope for rejection, but it was big envelope for acceptance. I went in to change my address a couple weeks after my December interview, and I saw a stack of large envelopes on the desk in Ivette's office. I was sooooo tempted to peak. 2 days later, my husband was grabbing the mail (we were in the car) and I saw a the same type of envelope....I nearly mauled him. He was extremely confused as I screamed incoherently and ripped it out of his hands.