Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any experience with winter driving in Michigan? I interview Friday and my original plan was to rent a car at DTW and save a ton in shuttle/uber costs, but it's snowing right now in Detroit and is supposed to snow in East Lansing on Thursday. Do conditions get bad enough to cause concern this time during the year? I'd really prefer to rent a car but don't want to risk driving in dangerous conditions :droid:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any experience with winter driving in Michigan? I interview Friday and my original plan was to rent a car at DTW and save a ton in shuttle/uber costs, but it's snowing right now in Detroit and is supposed to snow in East Lansing on Thursday. Do conditions get bad enough to cause concern this time during the year? I'd really prefer to rent a car but don't want to risk driving in dangerous conditions :droid:

Driving in the snow for the first time is nerve racking. I still get a little stressed the first snow of every year! If you rent, just make sure you get a car with all wheel drive and go slow. I'm sure you'll be fine! The weather doesn't look like it will be that bad..but it's Michigan and we never really know. If it is terrible, the Michigan Flyer is always a good bus to take! It goes straight from DTW to the Marriott in East Lansing.

Travel safe! See ya Thursday!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just drive a little slower and allow yourself more time to stop when braking. Roads are still pretty warm, so the snow we get this week probably wont stick to them. And I've already seen some salt trucks out after out snow last night, so it shouldn't be too bad for later this week.
For a rental, I wouldn't say that AWD is really necessary. A Front wheel drive will work just fine right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just drive a little slower and allow yourself more time to stop when braking. Roads are still pretty warm, so the snow we get this week probably wont stick to them. And I've already seen some salt trucks out after out snow last night, so it shouldn't be too bad for later this week.
For a rental, I wouldn't say that AWD is really necessary. A Front wheel drive will work just fine right now.
I'm going in January. I've never driven in the snow. Would you recommend the same thing?

As long as you are driving during the day, I wouldn't be worried at all! It hasn't been that cold (during the day) so road conditions aren't that bad and are not forecasted to be later this week. I think you will be good!

Driving in the snow for the first time is nerve racking. I still get a little stressed the first snow of every year! If you rent, just make sure you get a car with all wheel drive and go slow. I'm sure you'll be fine! The weather doesn't look like it will be that bad..but it's Michigan and we never really know. If it is terrible, the Michigan Flyer is always a good bus to take! It goes straight from DTW to the Marriott in East Lansing.

Travel safe! See ya Thursday!!

As long as you are driving during the day, I wouldn't be worried at all! It hasn't been that cold (during the day) so road conditions aren't that bad and are not forecasted to be later this week. I think you will be good!

Thanks for all the great input, guys! Definitely put my worries at ease :)

Hey guys, I'm interviewing in January and am looking to rent a car to drive the Flint airport to my interview. Would the economy car work? Do I need chains? I'm not sure what would be best in the snow. I wanted to get the rental now so it doesn't get too expensive. Suggestions on types of rental cars, etc?

Hey guys, I'm interviewing in January and am looking to rent a car to drive the Flint airport to my interview. Would the economy car work? Do I need chains? I'm not sure what would be best in the snow. I wanted to get the rental now so it doesn't get too expensive. Suggestions on types of rental cars, etc?

you dont need/cant really use chains. Like others have been sayings its probably best to get some sort of larger car, possibly 4wd, but you never really know. You could come in during/right after a snow storm or the roads could be totally clear.

you dont need/cant really use chains. Like others have been sayings its probably best to get some sort of larger car, possibly 4wd, but you never really know. You could come in during/right after a snow storm or the roads could be totally clear.
Thank you! This is going to be an interesting trip being that I am not used to cold weather or snow :). Excited!

I still haven't heard anything, anyone know if these come in waves?

I still haven't heard anything, anyone know if these come in waves?

I have yet to hear anything either. However, from their last email a few weeks ago, it seems that they will be continuing to send out interview invites all the way through the first few weeks in January as their last interview date is early February. I wouldn't worry about it too much! I think I heard that they sent out a lot of rejections a few weeks ago, so no news as good news I hope! I would think they will probably send another wave out sometime before they leave for Christmas holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the insight...curious if you recall how frequent the waves were?
Their may have been 4? I'm not entirely sure. I believe I got my official invite in January, but I got a call in December to see if I could make it to an earlier interview.

I think I ended up interviewing in February. But my sense of time has gone out the window since school started.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up to those interviewing this Friday:
We have a winter weather advisory in the counties near Lansing starting tonight. I'm not sure how hard Lansing will be hit, but forecasts say there will be heavy snow (5-7" in surrounding counties). AGAIN this is not Ingham county, but in the counties around it. Lansing will still receive snowfall so please be careful! I live about an hour from EL and I'm going to give myself 3 if the weather is bad enough. Unless you are an experienced winter driver, I would try and find a shuttle that goes to campus before renting a car. To those that are renting a car but have never driven in snow, the key is to go slow and brake gradually. Don't slam on your brakes or else you will go sliding everywhere, and possibly into other cars. Sorry to be such a mom about it but I really want everyone to make it to Lansing and back in this inclement weather. Also, another side note, this is Michigan, so it could either be a blizzard like the weather report says, or it may be a perfectly clear day with no snow. Either way, be careful and safe travels! I can't wait to meet you guys tomorrow!

I'll second that the weather here is a total crap shoot. And whether or not it does actually snow, it's going to be pretty dang cold.

I hope everyone that's interviewing this week is excited!

So..it's snowing lightly in Detroit right now and according to the driver of the shuttle I'm taking, Lansing is a mess right now. Like freeway closures possibly blocking my way back to DTW tomorrow night to catch my flight on time mess :depressed:

So to clarify, if I haven't received a rejection yet but got the email that they are still reviewing applications, I at least made it past the stage where they reject you because you were below the cutoff....correct? Or is it possible they haven't even gotten to my app at all yet and I could still be below the cutoff?

So..it's snowing lightly in Detroit right now and according to the driver of the shuttle I'm taking, Lansing is a mess right now. Like freeway closures possibly blocking my way back to DTW tomorrow night to catch my flight on time mess :depressed:
its only lightly snowing here right now. More might be coming, but its not bad right now

its only lightly snowing here right now. More might be coming, but its not bad right now

Good to know! Especially since my check-in for my room isn't until 3pm and I'll have to hope there's an open seat at a local Starbucks till then lol.

Good to know! Especially since my check-in for my room isn't until 3pm and I'll have to hope there's an open seat at a local Starbucks till then lol.
This is second hand, but apparently the freeway (96) is all messed up right now. I guess everyone forgot how to drive since last winter.

Has anyone had experience with requesting to change an interview time?

Yes big pile up.. ~40 cars in Fowlerville. Drive slow and safe!

So to clarify, if I haven't received a rejection yet but got the email that they are still reviewing applications, I at least made it past the stage where they reject you because you were below the cutoff....correct? Or is it possible they haven't even gotten to my app at all yet and I could still be below the cutoff?
I would call to clarify to be certain! Otherwise its all speculation on our end.

Good luck to everyone interviewing today! excited to find out how it goes :)

The interviews were totally fine! I stressed out a tiny bit before but once you start it's easy to relax. And it's true what others said before, there really isn't much you can do to prepare so just relax and it will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also they did mention that some people will get offers next week!! The rest will have to wait until the rest of the interviews are done to hear one way or the other.

Not sure if I'm glad to be done with interviews or not. On the one hand it's out of the way... on the other now I just have to sit and wait. This is my only application so I've done all I can do for this cycle.

For those of you who still have to interview though, I promise they're not bad at all.

Also they did mention that some people will get offers next week!! The rest will have to wait until the rest of the interviews are done to hear one way or the other.

So if we don't hear next week, it's probably a rejection?

So if we don't hear next week, it's probably a rejection?

I wouldn't think so. They basically just said they are looking at the top X% of the applicants based on their numbers + interview scores and offering them a place. Everyone else that falls somewhere in the middle just has to wait until everyone interviews so they can rank everyone else together.

Yeah, for everyone who doesn't hear by the week following their MMI (which will be a select few, so don't freak) they're basically going to wait until interviews are over to make decisions. I can also attest to everyone else who has said the interview wasn't bad at all! The MMI prep books I read had me a lot more worried than I needed to be. The cliché "be yourself" is really all you need.

Yeah, for everyone who doesn't hear by the week following their MMI (which will be a select few, so don't freak) they're basically going to wait until interviews are over to make decisions. I can also attest to everyone else who has said the interview wasn't bad at all! The MMI prep books I read had me a lot more worried than I needed to be. The cliché "be yourself" is really all you need.
Did you find the MMI books helped you or were a complete waste of time? Were there any in particular that you might recommend?

Did you find the MMI books helped you or were a complete waste of time? Were there any in particular that you might recommend?

Definitely not a waste of time. I read "Multiple Mini Interview" by Samir Desai. It has a lot of great tips about simple things you can do to make a positive impression in every way, as well as a bunch of sample scenarios and responses. The scenarios are great practice for formulating a logical argument or line of reasoning on a tough subject off the top of your head. That being said, Michigan's MMI was way different than I thought it would be (and I assume every schools is different as well) so no amount of reading will make you feel like you're ready to ace it. You just have to be confident in your skills under pressure and relax.

Reactions: 2 users
so is anyone else that interviewed last weekend already constantly checking their email to see if they got an offer?

patience is not one of my strengths.

Yup! I am not really expecting one but whenever I open my email I get a little hopeful!

so is anyone else that interviewed last weekend already constantly checking their email to see if they got an offer?

patience is not one of my strengths.

Yesss!!! I have been carrying my phone with me everywhere and with every ding... my heart jumps! I was just logging onto SDN to see what day the email was sent last year :)

Same! I'm not getting my hopes up (feel like my MMI went really well, but don't think I have the academics to make me a for-sure acceptance), but the possibility of it is still exciting!

After stalking the previous years thread... it looks as though people who interviewed on 12/12 (Saturday) found out on 12/16 (Wednesday).... today may be the day!

I'm actually checking here more than my email because although I think I have a decent shot at getting in, I doubt I'm in that top percent category that will hear right away before the rest of the interviews. So I'm more so just waiting for someone else to say they got in. :rofl:

Still waiting to hear from them about a possible interview. I'm excited for all of y'all that already interviewed and are waiting to hear back possible this week though!

Don't forget to check your spam folders too, that's where my notification went to

Goodness, I now regret choosing a later date for my interview! I didn't realize they accept people that quickly!

Goodness, I now regret choosing a later date for my interview! I didn't realize they accept people that quickly!

It's only a select few according to Donna. She said after each MMI "maybe the top 20% " of candidates who are considered shoe-in's from that pool are offered acceptance. This takes into account academics AND the MMI so I'm not sure how heavily one is weighed against the other.

It's only a select few according to Donna. She said after each MMI "maybe the top 20% " of candidates who are considered shoe-in's from that pool are offered acceptance. This takes into account academics AND the MMI so I'm not sure how heavily one is weighed against the other.
Got it. It's still great chances... my scores are all high. It would have been nice. Well congratulations to you all :) Maybe they will do the same thing with the weekend I'm going :).

Whelp it looks like today wasn't the day folks! Thankfully there are only two more days left to remain on high alert awaiting that email!

ACCEPTED ACCEPTED ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
ACCEPTED IS!!! HOLY COW I CAN'T BELIEVE IT THIS IS MY THIRD TIME APPLYING AND IM FINALLY IN :')

Reactions: 13 users
I am actually shaking right now, I was not expecting to get an acceptance this month. My mom wants to tell the world and I'm just like... let me take it in first. I'm thrilled though.

Same here! I ran back in before leaving to work to tell my mom, followed by "DON'T TELL ANYONE YET" lol. As an OOS, it's definitely my most expensive option and I still have 4 interviews in January...but knowing ill be going to vet school regardless has me at a loss for words right now. Congrats to you and everyone else who heard today!