Michigan State c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I cannot believe what I just read... I have been accepted to MSU! I was #14 IS!!
YESSS!!!! I'm so happy!!!! I'm gonna love on some greyhounds. I'm so happy we get to be class mates!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you!!

AHHH so so happy!!! I cannot wait to love your doggies too!
Wow in state made it all the way to 14 already? That's so awesome for you, congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Right! Well, I am not complaining! I'm rooting for you!
Haha thank you! I'm just hoping that if the in state list is moving that much then the out of state will too! :xf: I feel left out, I want in on all the greyhound fun :(

Haha thank you! I'm just hoping that if the in state list is moving that much then the out of state will too! :xf: I feel left out, I want in on all the greyhound fun :(

I hope it starts moving too! Well if you come to EL this summer, my greys would LOVE to play!

I hope it starts moving too! Well if you come to EL this summer, my greys would LOVE to play!
Haha awesome! If I'm ever out that way I'll let you know! I'm getting a new dog soon who needs some friends too :)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone seen any movement with the waitlists lately?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so confused, I just emailed them for an update and I didn't move up at all....not one spot. I asked them and they said that there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist at all, but @ilikecake you said you were called off at #11 so shouldn't I have at least moved up 11 spots? I don't understand.

I'm so confused, I just emailed them for an update and I didn't move up at all....not one spot. I asked them and they said that there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist at all, but @ilikecake you said you were called off at #11 so shouldn't I have at least moved up 11 spots? I don't understand.
When was the last time you asked for an update? My position moved up about 14 spots from when I asked on April 5th

I moved up 13 spots since the last update on 4/10. The only thing I could think of is if you got an updated position after a lot of movement was made in the last week or so.

I asked my status today as well and did not see any movement from when I asked on the 10th of April.

I'm sorry :/ Sometimes OOS lists move one spot for every 3ish people who decline. That doesn't account for the difference I guess but maybe it's something like that.. I hope you guys start hearing soon!
I asked my status today as well and did not see any movement from when I asked on the 10th of April.
I just received an email from MSU. There has been movement. The OOS has moved 15 places since April 10th. There had been a reporting error. They apologized and fixed the error. Very nice people!

I just received an email from MSU. There has been movement. The OOS has moved 15 places since April 10th. There had been a reporting error. They apologized and fixed the error. Very nice people!
They just emailed me too! I knew there had to be a mistake.

I received an alternate status update today. I started at 77 and I am now at 40. Next update on June 5th.

I got an update today as well. I started at 58 OOS, now 23. However, I also asked how many spots were left for OOS as IS is full, and they told me there is only one spot left. While they are expecting a few to withdraw before August from the OOS list, the class is basically full. They are calling people one at a time at this point.

Anyone have any thoughts on living about 40 minutes away? I'm considering it because it would save a little bit of money, but it also seems like it could be an annoying commute.

Anyone have any thoughts on living about 40 minutes away? I'm considering it because it would save a little bit of money, but it also seems like it could be an annoying commute.
40 minutes in what direction? Alot of my classmates drive between 30-60 mins. With lectures being recorded you really only have to come for mostly half days to labs.
I used to live in northville and drove everyday but moved halfway through 1st semester. The drive West on 96 can suck if you drive during normal traffic times.

40 minutes in what direction? Alot of my classmates drive between 30-60 mins. With lectures being recorded you really only have to come for mostly half days to labs.
I used to live in northville and drove everyday but moved halfway through 1st semester. The drive West on 96 can suck if you drive during normal traffic times.

40 minutes East, so I would be taking 96 west. Was that a deciding factor in you moving?

Some people do it but I know that I would not want to. A 30 minute commute was my maximum when I was looking. That said, I also know that I'm going to want to attend the actual lectures for the most part, I'm not the biggest fan of driving in general, I have dogs I don't want to be too far from during the day, and I do not want to move again during vet school if at all possible so I didn't want to risk getting a place with a commute that I might grow to hate. After driving back to my parents' house a few times since moving (which is a little longer--50ish minutes) I know I made a good choice for me. Would not want to be driving more than a half hour one way, on a regular basis. Would have hated it within a week. Saving money just wouldn't have been worth it for me. But it might be for you. Just carefully consider the pros and cons.

40 minutes East, so I would be taking 96 west. Was that a deciding factor in you moving?
I think my drive total was about an hour and fifteen minutes one way. That was a big factor. I've also got 2 little kids. With all the time spent driving I wasn't getting enough time to spend with my family.
I can't speak to rotations yet, but clubs (like equine club with a it's e-team and foal team, or radiology club) have you sign up for shifts that's you're available for.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

When you're on-call in the hospital, you need to be able to come in within a half hour.

Hi guys, just got my acceptance (OOS) today and was wondering if there was a facebook page for c/o 2021 classs. Im currently scrambling to find a place to stay now and would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Hi guys, just got my acceptance (OOS) today and was wondering if there was a facebook page for c/o 2021 classs. Im currently scrambling to find a place to stay now and would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!
There is a FB page, should be able to find it by searching for the full name and year on FB.
School admin is in control of the page and you'll get accepted when they receive your deposit.

Congrats!

Do you mind sharing what number you were on the alternate list ?

Do you mind sharing what number you were on the alternate list ?
I started at waitlist #39 OOS. When I emailed for my status early June 7, I was waitlist #7 and they said they had filled their seats.

I think today is the last list update before classes start. All seats are currently full. I'm at #10 on the list, started at #58. Keeping my fingers crossed that there will be enough movement by mid-August. :eek:

Question for current students at MSU from Florida. How was the adjustment to the cold? I've lived in Florida my entire life, never been in snow.

Question for current students at MSU from Florida. How was the adjustment to the cold? I've lived in Florida my entire life, never been in snow.
I've got a couple classmates from Florida, and I think they're handling in well. It's a bit dicey in the winter if you're not used to snow, but it just takes some time and practice. Layering is key if you want to stay warm outside in the winter as well.
I came back from CA to school here, and it wasn't really a hard transition

I've got a couple classmates from Florida, and I think they're handling in well. It's a bit dicey in the winter if you're not used to snow, but it just takes some time and practice. Layering is key if you want to stay warm outside in the winter as well.
I came back from CA to school here, and it wasn't really a hard transition
Thanks! It's currently around 50 degrees F here in SoFlo and its a bit on the chillier side for me. So I'm wondering how other people are taking the cold.

Dress warmly if you end up in Michigan :laugh:

It's currently 28 and snowing (I'm an hour east of EL)
Funny story, when I drove up to TN to interview at LMU, I didnt bring any warm clothing, and it got down to around 10.

I froze, but survived.