MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CONGRATS!!! TOP CHOICE?
Omg I don’t even know. So many great programs!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have tips for my OSU interview? It's this week.

Ahh good luck!!! i hope it all works out :) the wait is incredibly nervewracking haha.
Thanks! Just scheduled my informal interview with Columbia. I hope it's a good sign!

Thanks! Just scheduled my informal interview with Columbia. I hope it's a good sign!
Oh don't worry, it's done by a student already in the program and its very relaxed and laid back. just make sure you know your answers to the basic questions (why MHA / not MBA, what do you wanna do in the future, why columbia, etc.)

Anybody still waiting to hear back from JHU? Haven't gotten a single email from them yet.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 I have an interview in a month. Wondering what others thought of Ohio State.

I had my interview with OSU back in November. It sort of depends on the professors you get... You interview with two professors and the program director (Julie Robbins - She's awesome). The interviews are pretty informal. They mostly pertain to asking you questions directly from your resume, why MHA, why OSU, what sorts of leadership experience you have had, why you are going directly into grad school instead of the workforce (if you're coming straight out of undergrad - like me!). Have your elevator speech kind of ready to go because I found that one of the professors did not have any background on me before I interviewed with them! Besides that, the set up of the day was great. You get a lot of time to talk to current students and the few alumni that stop in. I left the program feeling like I really knew what to expect if I were to go there.

I had my interview with OSU back in November. It sort of depends on the professors you get... You interview with two professors and the program director (Julie Robbins - She's awesome). The interviews are pretty informal. They mostly pertain to asking you questions directly from your resume, why MHA, why OSU, what sorts of leadership experience you have had, why you are going directly into grad school instead of the workforce (if you're coming straight out of undergrad - like me!). Have your elevator speech kind of ready to go because I found that one of the professors did not have any background on me before I interviewed with them! Besides that, the set up of the day was great. You get a lot of time to talk to current students and the few alumni that stop in. I left the program feeling like I really knew what to expect if I were to go there.
Thank you, this helps a lot!.

In at Cornell with a small scholarship!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In at Michigan!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody still waiting to hear back from JHU? Haven't gotten a single email from them yet.
Me too, I wonder how much longer it’s gonna take them..they had said it would take 8-10 weeks. When did your application go for review?

I would sure make sure you know where you want to go with your degree and know your transcripts and SOP. My interview was semi-relaxed, but they were very interested in my goal of working with health advocacy groups and how attending UMinn would help me reach that goal. And overall I would say be confident in yourself! If you have any more questions let me know!

Thank you for the great advice, but I'm having difficulty getting in contact with the admissions team. I was initially contacted for a on-site interview mid- January but went ahead and asked if there were any Skype interviews available since I most likely would not be able to fly out to Minnesota. They got back to me last Wednesday, the 31st asking to schedule a Skype interview for Wednesday (tomorrow) and I replied the next day. I haven't gotten a confirmation or a contact to request on Skype, so I sent an confirmation yesterday, but still no word. Any advice for next steps?

Me too, I wonder how much longer it’s gonna take them..they had said it would take 8-10 weeks. When did your application go for review?

Got an email from JHU on 12/23 saying my applicant was complete. Interviews seem so late at this point.

Not yet! I'm hoping its today...

Just got mine in an email like 20 minutes ago!

Just got mine 4 minutes ago. Not sure if it's enough to persuade me to go. Also, did anybody else notice

"Institutional scholarship funds cannot be combined with other institutional funding sources including but not limited to GW employee tuition benefits, GW Grad2Grad discounts, or assistantship and fellowship tuition awards."

Just got mine in an email like 20 minutes ago!
Me too! Roughly 20%! Is GWU one of your top choice?
I had my interview last week and am waiting to hear back. I believe @AbeWoodhull has gotten an acceptance!

I did get accepted about 2 weeks ago. For those waiting to hear back, keep in mind they didn't even start looking at applications until Jan 15 when their application deadline hit. The impression I got in the interview is that they work through the applications a little slowly and methodically so keep your head up!

Just got mine 4 minutes ago. Not sure if it's enough to persuade me to go. Also, did anybody else notice

"Institutional scholarship funds cannot be combined with other institutional funding sources including but not limited to GW employee tuition benefits, GW Grad2Grad discounts, or assistantship and fellowship tuition awards."

This is kind of how I feel too...20% against a $79,000 tuition bill doesn't help very much especially when several programs I've been accepted to will cost ~$50k total.
I have my UAB interview tomorrow and I'll finally be done interviewing! I've kind of been leaning to UAB thus far so I hope it goes well and I get a good feel for the school. With the exception of flying to interview with VCU, all my interviews have been via Skype here in South Korea so its been interesting trying to feel out all of the programs.

Thank you for the great advice, but I'm having difficulty getting in contact with the admissions team. I was initially contacted for a on-site interview mid- January but went ahead and asked if there were any Skype interviews available since I most likely would not be able to fly out to Minnesota. They got back to me last Wednesday, the 31st asking to schedule a Skype interview for Wednesday (tomorrow) and I replied the next day. I haven't gotten a confirmation or a contact to request on Skype, so I sent an confirmation yesterday, but still no word. Any advice for next steps?
Did you email katie keyser? She set up my Skype interview and always replied within a day or so. Maybe trying calling her or the department tomorrow morning?

Me too! Roughly 20%! Is GWU one of your top choice?

I did get accepted about 2 weeks ago. For those waiting to hear back, keep in mind they didn't even start looking at applications until Jan 15 when their application deadline hit. The impression I got in the interview is that they work through the applications a little slowly and methodically so keep your head up!
Thanks! My application was sent for review on 19th Dec.The only thing to do now is wait! Hopefully we’ll hear something soon.

Michigan was supposed to send out scholarship awards in Feb. Has anyone heard back from them yet?

Has anyone heard anything from USC (SoCal)?
I got an email two days ago that my application is now complete, but I sent in my application before the Dec. 15 deadline. They couldn't find my transcripts so I had to resend them.. sigh.

Have any of you had a program ask what other schools you're applying to? How do you answer that?

I had an interview coming with Minnesota, but I had to reschedule twice due do prior commitments..when I asked them to reschedule a second time they didn’t reply..did I lose my interview?

I think that would be especially punitive if they rejected you for that. The potential downside is just that you get de-prioritized on the list of applicants to be interviewed.

For full disclosure, I didn't apply to UMinn but that's my two cents

I would email back for sure, if not call. Just be gracious (it's likely that you got set aside so they could find a date that worked and didn't get back to it) and I'm sure they'll be willing to set you up!

Has anyone heard anything from CSUN or UC Irvine? (SoCal)

I got an email two days ago that my application is now complete, but I sent in my application before the Dec. 15 deadline. They couldn't find my transcripts so I had to resend them.. sigh.

If you applied before the Dec. 15 deadline, you’ll hear back by the middle of March. If you applied after you’ll hear back later than that. I read it on the website.

Though I committed to a program already, I intentionally didn't withdraw my application from GWU just so I could see what kind of financial aid they would offer. I still haven't received an email from them though.

If you applied before the Dec. 15 deadline, you’ll hear back by the middle of March. If you applied after you’ll hear back later than that. I read it on the website.
I noticed that some people on last year's thread started hearing back in February so I wasn't sure if anyone started getting their decisions yet!

This is kind of how I feel too...20% against a $79,000 tuition bill doesn't help very much especially when several programs I've been accepted to will cost ~$50k total.
I have my UAB interview tomorrow and I'll finally be done interviewing! I've kind of been leaning to UAB thus far so I hope it goes well and I get a good feel for the school. With the exception of flying to interview with VCU, all my interviews have been via Skype here in South Korea so its been interesting trying to feel out all of the programs.

May I ask how you found out that it was $79k? After looking at the cost on the website I see tuition as 28,440 for 1 year. I know that does not include books, fees, etc. I'm just trying to clarify that i have the right information! Thanks

I noticed that some people on last year's thread started hearing back in February so I wasn't sure if anyone started getting their decisions yet!

Yeah it seems like applicants in past forums started hearing back mid-February. I'm hoping we'll hear back next week. March 15th is too long to wait.

I got the same email and submitted before Dec. 15 too. I was surprised it took so long! They couldn't find my transcripts either but eventually found them. Sorry that that happened to you!

May I ask how you found out that it was $79k? After looking at the cost on the website I see tuition as 28,440 for 1 year. I know that does not include books, fees, etc. I'm just trying to clarify that i have the right information! Thanks

Yeah I checked out this other website and it said that the tuition for GWU was $75K..

The GWU public health school lists tuition as $1580 per credit and the program is 50 credits. 1580*50=79,000. I had the program director confirm the math. This means the residency, at 9 credits, costs nearly $14,000

GOT ACCEPTED AT UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA !!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 10 users
GOT ACCEPTED AT UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA !!!!!

Congratulations!!! Did you find out through the online portal? If I get in it’ll be a toss up between USC and Columbia!

Congratulations!!! Did you find out through the online portal? If I get in it’ll be a toss up between USC and Columbia!
I received a mail saying that the dexision letter has been posted in the portal. All the best!!!

What does anyone know about the programs at SLU vs OSU? I have been accepted to both and have to choose. I don’t want to sit on two offers. I have been offered a GRA position at SLU as well, but I’ve heard it may be headed in a negative direction.

I’ve also been offered interviews at Rush and Minnesota. Any advice on those? Thanks!
What are you referring to when you said "it may be headed in a negative direction"?

JUST GOT ADMITTED TO USC!!

Reactions: 6 users