MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbeWoodhull

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm been watching for this thread so I might as well start it!

MHA, MBA-HCM, MPH-HCM only!

Follow this format:

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:
Experience (professional or otherwise)
Special Factors:

Applied:
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Update your original thread as you receive new information!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's mine:
School: Texas A&M University System School
GPA: Cumulative: 3.6, Major 3.89
GRE: 160Q (76%), 160V(86%), 5.5AWA (98%)
Major: Business Management
Experience: 4 years in project mgmt for tech company, volunteered weekly in nursing home for 2 years

Interested/Applied: Hopkins (10/18), UAB (9/30), VCU (10/11), UNC (9/11), Cornell (12/7), GWU (12/7)
Interview: VCU (12/1 and 12/14), Cornell (1/4), UAB (2/9), JHU(1/18), UNC (1/18), UAB (2/9)
Waitlist:
Rejected: VCU (1/23)
Accepted: GWU (12/21) Cornell (1/13) JHU (1/25) , UNC (1/22) UAB (2/19)
Attending: UAB

Good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
School: Central Connecticut State University (Soph-Present) & North Carolina Wesleyan College (Freshman)
GPA: 3.04 (very strong upward trend); ~3.4 Major; ~3.8 minor
GRE: (taken 8/26) 152V (56%):160Q(76%): 4AWA(60%)
Major: Biology; Psychology minor
Experience No direct healthcare professional experience (hard to get a job in healthcare where I live), but
  • Spent the past 3 years interning at a nonprofit organization (network of 52 programs across 17 states) where I've worked in development, expansion, and marketing. Recently promoted to Senior Intern and is founding member of the organization's Junior Board.
  • Administrative assistant and community outreach coordinator at local church
Special Factors: 1st generation college student; played NCAA football; younger than most applicants (just turned 20), very strong personal statement; ACHE Student Associate
LORs: 1 from Professor, one from CEO of my job (I've worked closely with her), one from my direct supervisor. I am a transfer student and commuter, so I didn't have much opportunity to build relationships with other school faculty.

Interested/Applied: Cornell (9/11), VCU (submitted 9/16), GWU (submitted 9/16), (Verified 10/4)
Interview: Cornell (10/6) GWU (10/30), VCU (11/17)
Accepted: Cornell with small scholarship (10/20), GWU (11/3)
Attending: Cornell
Any thoughts on my chances since my GPA isn't very competitive?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
School: The Ohio State University
GPA: 3.41
GRE: 148V:153Q: AWA:4.5
Major: Finance
Experience
-Have been working as an intern for the Epidemiology Department at a hospital on campus. Will be working there for a year and a half by the time graduate school would start
-Volunteering at the hospital for two years. Did some hand hygiene auditing and also provided blankets to patients on the oncology floor
-Part of a Healthcare Industry Program through the Business School that allows me to work on actual projects for hospitals in the area

Applied: OSU (9/25), VCU (9/25), Xavier (9/20), Indiana (9/25), Kentucky (9/25), and University of Scranton (9/25)
Interview: Xavier (9/23) OSU(Declined) Scranton(Declined) Indiana(Declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:Xavier (10/3)
Attending: Xavier

I feel like my GRE score for verbal is low. I am debating on retaking it to get a higher score because I am 3 points away from being in the 50th percentile. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
School: The Ohio State University
GPA: 3.41
GRE: 148V:153Q: waiting for essay scores
Major: Finance
Experience
-Have been working as an intern for the Epidemiology Department at a hospital on campus. Will be working there for a year and a half by the time graduate school would start
-Volunteering at the hospital for two years. Did some hand hygiene auditing and also provided blankets to patients on the oncology floor
-Part of a Healthcare Industry Program through the Business School that allows me to work on actual projects for hospitals in the area

Applied: Finishing up Applications for the Following: OSU, VCU, Xavier, Indiana, Kentucky, Marymount, and University of Scranton

I feel like my GRE score for verbal is low. I am debating on retaking it to get a higher score because I am 3 points away from being in the 50th percentile. Any thoughts on what I should do?

If it was me, I'd retake it. I know its not fun, but I feel like most schools look at the 50th percentile as the cutoff and I'd want to be over the line.

Reactions: 1 user
School: Indiana University UG & Texas A&M Graduate
GPA: IU 3.2 cum 3.6 major, A&M 3.55 cum, 3.6 major
GRE: 160V , 156Q, 4.0 AWA
Major: UG: B.S. Accounting, Graduate: MBA
Experience: 3 years of finance / management rolls at Goldman Sachs & Co. and Toyota North America HQ
Special Factors: I am 30 years old and I have a few years of experience at Goldman and Toyota HQ in finance / management rolls. I graduated UG a little (25 years old) late since I was in my rock-n-roll phase at that time in my life. I am in my last year of my full-time MBA at Texas A&M and I am looking to transition into healthcare management via the MHA degree.

Applied / Will Apply: Cornell (submitted 9/15), Columbia, UMich, U Minnesota, U Iowa
Interview: Cornell 10/11
Waitlist: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Accepted: Cornell with scholarship 10/20
Attending: N/A

Lets do this! Best of luck to everyone and may our dreams come true! Wishing you all good vibrations!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Been following these threads for years now and it's finally my turn.

School: University of Ottawa (Canadian School)
GPA: 3.11 (SOPHAS) | 3.24 (HAMPCAS)
GRE: 151V | 159Q | 4AWA
Major: Health Sciences
Experience (professional or otherwise): President of non-profit school chapter for a couple years now, partnerships and marketing for Kaplan Inc, administrative assistant role for a summer at a private clinic, and other part time jobs.

Special Factors: Strong PS | LoRs from Executive Director of a booming private clinic in my city and from my direct supervisor at Kaplan | I am a younger applicant (21) | I thrive in face-to-face situations; if I can get an interview, I believe I can illustrate that I would be a great candidate for the program

Applied/Will Apply: GWU, Columbia, USC, UW, Cornell, BU, UMinn
Interview: Cornell, UMinn (declined), GWU (declined), UW (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected: Columbia
Accepted: Cornell, USC, BU
Attending: Cornell

Last edited:
Does anyone have any remarks on how important 1 academic/1 work LoR is versus 2 work LoRs? I will be applying straight from undergrad, but I have 2 pretty solid work LoRs lined up. If I get an academic LoR, I feel like it might be a generic letter.

Does anyone have any remarks on how important 1 academic/1 work LoR is versus 2 work LoRs? I will be applying straight from undergrad, but I have 2 pretty solid work LoRs lined up. If I get an academic LoR, I feel like it might be a generic letter.

I was in the same situation. I called each school I was interested in and inquired about their preferences. Most of them gave the same answer: at least one academic letter and the rest from whoever can speak about me in detail. I definitely recommend trying to find one professor or someone you did research with that can give you a strong reference. I'm pretty sure most schools ask for 3 LORs as well.

I have been following these forums for years! So excited (and incredibly nervous) that the time is finally here.

School:
Michigan State University
GPA: 3.93 Cumulative (SOPHAS verified)/3.87 Major
GRE: 158Q/155V/5.0 AWA
Major: History, Philosophy, and Sociology of Science (minor in economics)
Experience (professional or otherwise):
  • I was a student volunteer at local hospital for over 2 years
  • Over spring break one year, I was a student volunteer at local health clinic in underserved community
  • Over spring break another year, I was a volunteer at AIDS Alabama in which I worked to understand the ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program) funding issues and program objectives and presented findings to the Alabama legislature to gain more funding for the program
  • I have been a chemistry teaching assistant for 1.5+ years
  • Study abroad in London on Medical Ethics and Health Policy
  • I interned at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services this past summer working on gaining government appropriations for local health departments
  • Collegiate athlete for 4 years (Captain of team for 2 years)
Special Factors: I will be a young applicant coming straight from my undergrad (hopefully!). Additionally, I have direct experience with the health care system, as I had a major health event as a young child, which really helped me to find a passion for this field quickly.

Applied: University of Michigan (9/16), Yale (9/16), RUSH (9/16), Ohio State University (9/16), Minnesota (9/16) (all verified 10/02)
Interview: OSU (11/17), Minnesota (via Skype 01/17), RUSH (Declined), UMich (01/09)
Waitlist: None
Rejected: None
Accepted: OSU (11/30), Yale (01/08 - no interview), Minnesota (01/25 + $5,000 per year scholarship and 25% Graduate Student Research Assistant Appointment), Michigan (01/26 + 50% Merit Scholarship)
Attending: Michigan!

Last edited:
I have been following these forums for years! So excited (and incredibly nervous) that the time is finally here.

School:
Michigan State University
GPA: 3.93 Cumulative (SOPHAS verified)/3.87 Major
GRE: 158Q/155V/5.0 AWA
Major: History, Philosophy, and Sociology of Science (minor in economics)
Experience (professional or otherwise):
  • I was a student volunteer at local hospital for over 2 years
  • Over spring break one year, I was a student volunteer at local health clinic in underserved community
  • Over spring break another year, I was a volunteer at AIDS Alabama in which I worked to understand the ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program) funding issues and program objectives and presented findings to the Alabama legislature to gain more funding for the program
  • I have been a chemistry teaching assistant for 1.5+ years
  • Study abroad in London on Medical Ethics and Health Policy
  • I interned at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services this past summer working on gaining government appropriations for local health departments
  • Collegiate athlete for 4 years
Special Factors: I will be a young applicant coming straight from my undergrad (hopefully!). Additionally, I have direct experience with the health care system, as I had a major health event as a young child, which really helped me to find a passion for this field quickly.

Applied: University of Michigan, Yale, RUSH, Columbia, OSU, Minnesota (Submitted all applications 9/17)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

You have great stats! Have you heard from any programs on when to expect interviews?

School: Indiana University UG & Texas A&M Graduate
GPA: IU 3.2 cum 3.6 major, A&M 3.55 cum, 3.6 major
GRE: 160V , 156Q, 4.0 AWA
Major: UG: B.S. Accounting, Graduate: MBA
Experience: 3 years of finance / management rolls at Goldman Sachs & Co. and Toyota North America HQ
Special Factors: I am 30 years old and I have a few years of experience at Goldman and Toyota HQ in finance / management rolls. I graduated UG a little (25 years old) late since I was in my rock-n-roll phase at that time in my life. I am in my last year of my full-time MBA at Texas A&M and I am looking to transition into healthcare management via the MHA degree.

Applied / Will Apply: Cornell (submitted 9/15), Columbia, UMich, U Minnesota, U Iowa
Interview: TBD
Waitlist: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Accepted: N/A
Attending: N/A

Lets do this! Best of luck to everyone and may our dreams come true! Wishing you all good vibrations!

Good luck! Have you heard anything from Cornell about when you'll hear about interviews?

Good luck! Have you heard anything from Cornell about when you'll hear about interviews?

I recieved an email from the admissions director & admissions assistant saying my application was confirmed complete and ready for review. Did you hear anything?

I recieved an email from the admissions director & admissions assistant saying my application was confirmed complete and ready for review. Did you hear anything?

I was emailed last week saying the same thing, that the admissions director should be receiving my file at the beginning of the week, and that I will be notified of the next steps in the coming week. I assumed that meant this week, haven't heard anything since though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got offered an interview for Xavier's MHA program. Nervous but very excited for the opportunity

Got offered an interview for Xavier's MHA program. Nervous but very excited for the opportunity

Congrats I'm sure you'll do great! Most of my programs dont start looking at applications until next month, Hopkins isn't until January 15...

Is HAMPCAS giving any of you trouble?
On the 16th I submitted 2 applications, all of my materials were received well before I paid for my application, but my application status is still 'received' instead of 'complete' and put in line for verification. I've called a few times times, and each time they said they will fix it in a few days, but nothing yet. Kind of sucks bc to be considered in the first round of application review at VCU, my application was supposed to be complete by mid-September, which it would've been if this didn't happen.

Is HAMPCAS giving any of you trouble?
On the 16th I submitted 2 applications, all of my materials were received well before I paid for my application, but my application status is still 'received' instead of 'complete' and put in line for verification. I've called a few times times, and each time they said they will fix it in a few days, but nothing yet. Kind of sucks bc to be considered in the first round of application review at VCU, my application was supposed to be complete by mid-September, which it would've been if this didn't happen.

It's not the exact same situation, but I submitted my application without all my docs in on 9/18 and ordered my transcripts the same day, HAMPCAS is still showing them as not received. I was also hoping to get reviewed early with VCU so not having my application complete and verified yet is getting frustrating.

You have great stats! Have you heard from any programs on when to expect interviews?

Not yet. I know that for most programs, they wait until after the deadlines to even start looking at applications. I am hoping that maybe by December I will hear something!

School: Central Connecticut State University (Soph-Present) & North Carolina Wesleyan College (Freshman)
GPA: 3.04 (very strong upward trend); ~3.4 Major; ~3.8 minor
GRE: (taken 8/26) 152V (56%):160Q(76%): 4AWA(60%)
Major: Biology; Psychology minor
Experience No direct healthcare professional experience (hard to get a job in healthcare where I live), but
  • Spent the past 3 years interning at a nonprofit organization (network of 52 programs across 17 states) where I've worked in development, expansion, and marketing. Recently promoted to Senior Intern and is founding member of the organization's Junior Board.
  • Administrative assistant and community outreach coordinator at local church
  • Volunteer at nursing home on Saturdays
Special Factors: 1st generation college student; played NCAA football; younger than most applicants (just turned 20), very strong personal statement; ACHE Student Associate
LORs: 1 from Professor, one from CEO of my job (I've worked closely with her), one from my direct supervisor. I am a transfer student and commuter, so I didn't have much opportunity to build relationships with other school faculty.

Interested/Applied: Cornell (9/11), VCU (submitted 9/16), GWU (submitted 9/16), Columbia, OSU, maybe UNC,
Interview: Cornell (invited 10/2, actual date tbd)

Any thoughts on my chances since my GPA isn't very competitive?

Invited to interview with Cornell! Anyone have any interview tips/resources?

I've been accepted into Xavier's MHA program. I wish the other schools would get back to me sooner about getting an opportunity for interviews because I feel like I should talk to the other school's too

Reactions: 2 users
I've been accepted into Xavier's MHA program. I wish the other schools would get back to me sooner about getting an opportunity for interviews because I feel like I should talk to the other school's too

Congrats on your acceptance!

Just got an invitation from Cornell to interview!

School: Large Big 12 School
GPA: 3.6 Undergrad / 3.9 Graduate
GRE: 168V / 164Q / 5.0AW
Major: Industrial Engineering Undergrad / MBA
Experience: Owned and ran my own manufacturing firm for 15 years, recently worked part time as a chaplain at a residential substance abuse treatment center for about a year, served as a board member on a charitable hospital foundation in my community
Special Factors: Age, I'm 40 years old which is quite a bit older than the typical applicant so I'm not sure how that will factor in to the admissions process

Applied: Minnesota (9/29) JHU (9/29) Oklahoma (9/29) Arkansas (9/29) Trinity (10/2)

Interview: Oklahoma (11/15) Arkansas (11/17) Trinity (11/28)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Oklahoma (11/16) Arkansas (11/17)
Attending:

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Experience: Owned and ran my own manufacturing firm for 15 years, recently worked part time as a chaplain at a residential substance abuse treatment center for about a year, served as a board member on a charitable hospital foundation in my community
Special Factors: Age, I'm 40 years old which is quite a bit older than the typical applicant so I'm not sure how that will factor in to the admissions process

Applied: Minnesota (9/29) JHU (9/29) Oklahoma (9/29) Arkansas (9/29) Trinity (10/2) Still waiting on SOPHAS verification on the first 4
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Good luck to all!
I'm sure schools will really value you! Your background is very interesting. I'm sure that schools will value the diversity in experience present in your application and will be interested in why you decided to pursue an MHA.

congrats! I interview with Cornell tomorrow. Nerve wracking but exciting!

Dude good luck, knock it out of the park. I heard the interview is rather laid back with normal questions so it shouldnt be too tricky. Wishing you good vibes and the best of luck. Let me know how it goes!

I'm sure schools will really value you! Your background is very interesting. I'm sure that schools will value the diversity in experience present in your application and will be interested in why you decided to pursue an MHA.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement. I noticed on your post you had a health event as a child that helped you develop a passion. My situation is similar though not with my own health but a close family member. Good luck!

Applied: Minnesota (9/29) JHU (9/29) Oklahoma (9/29) Arkansas (9/29) Trinity (10/2) Still waiting on SOPHAS verification on the first 4
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Good luck to all!

If you have specific questions about Trinity, feel free to PM me. I'm currently in the program.

Could y'all that have had interviews already talk a little bit about the questions you were asked? I'm trying to get a good idea of how to prepare. Thanks!

School: Foreign Medical School
GPA: 2.8 (I know that's low in my defense it's medical school)
. Last 60 hours GPA is 3.2 ( I don't know if it counts)
GRE: 152 V, 155 Q, 4.0 AW. IELTS --7.5
Major: Medicine and Surgery
WES: equivalency Doctor of Medicine,first professional degree in medicine
Experience : professional - Worked as a physician for over 3 years in a
reputed hospital.
Volunteer : worked as a volunteer doctor for non-profit,twice a month for over 2 years. Helped organize medical camps and took care of few administrative details.
Special Factors: 3 strong personalized LoRs , one from hospital's chief of staff, one from public health professor in school And one from clinical diagnostics professor.

Applied: UIC Chicago, Indiana University, Saint Louis, Texas A&M, Ohio, GW,
U Michigan, Memphis
Still waiting on SOPHAS verification . applying to a few more because of GPA,
Hoping they will consider Healthcare experience.
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

@AbeWoodhull I was asked a ton of behavioral questions (e.g. how do you handle stressful situations, what kind of leader are you, how do you handle a situation when a team member isn't doing their fair share, etc). Most of the questions were tailored to figure out how well I 'd work in a team setting, and also how committed to health administration I really am. Other than that, the interview was super conversational.

Could y'all that have had interviews already talk a little bit about the questions you were asked? I'm trying to get a good idea of how to prepare. Thanks!
My interview was very laid back. They asked questions to get to know who I am. Then they wanted to see if I am able to handle the rigorous course work and if I have what it takes to be a good student in healthcare

Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.414/3.633
Major/Minor: Biochemistry
GRE : V 154 Q 165 AW 3.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 1 year research in Scripps Research Institute
  • 3 month lab assistant in University
  • 2 month intern in Central Disease Control

Interested in: Biostatistics and health research
Applying: Columbia, Cornell, Brown, Berkeley, UCLA,(all MPH Health Policy track)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Columbia and Cornell are my dream school, does any think these two might be a reach for me?

Any news on when you might hear back?

They said I’ll know by the 20th the latest, but hopefully I can hear back sooner, I hate the waiting game.

Did you have your interview yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said I’ll know by the 20th the latest, but hopefully I can hear back sooner, I hate the waiting game.

Did you have your interview yet?

My interview is on Wednesday. I am nervous and excited at the same time! Wishing all of us the best!!!

My interview is on Wednesday. I am nervous and excited at the same time! Wishing all of us the best!!!

I know the feeling, Good luck! I’m sure you’ll nail it.

School: Pennsylvania State Univesity
GPA: 3.94
GRE: Actually, I took the GMAT first try: 37V 36Q (610), writing it again.
Major: Health Policy & Administration
Experience:
  • Marketing and administrative assistant for my family's construction company (3 years)
  • Intern at a large private trust-fund based hospital and worked on nursing documentation compliance research (4 months)
  • Planning on interning at another hospital spring semester 2018 or getting a part-time job in healthcare.

Applied (In the process): University of Minnesota, University of Washington, George Washington University, Boston University, Medical University of South Carolina, University of North Carolina Charlotte, Tulane University, University of Pittsburgh, Virginia Commonwealth University, Emory University, Pennsylvania State University.
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Last edited by a moderator:
School: University of Michigan
Cumulative/Major GPA: 3.51/3.64
GRE: 163V/160Q/4.0AW
Major: Biomolecular Science
Experience: Campus job for over 1.5 years, 3 leadership positions for a volunteering club

Special Factors: First-generation, low-income, senior in undergrad

Applied: BU (12/22), Columbia (12/24), Emory (12/22), GWU (12/15), Iowa (12/22), JHU (12/22), Pitt (1/15), UCLA (12/22), UM (12/15), UMN (12/23), Yale (12/22)
Interview: Iowa (1/12), UM (1/19), UMN
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Last edited:

Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Good luck to all!
Which degree did you apply for?

Undergrad School: Taylor University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Political Science
GradGPA: 3.4
Grad Studies: Healthcare Administration (George Washington U.)
GRE:
Experience/Research: 10 yrs work experience in Military and Healthcare
Special factors: First Generation College grad; Army veteran

Interested in: Epidemiology; Public Health Leadership
Applied: Indiana U. (DrPH Public Health 10/2017); UNC-Chapel Hill ( DrPH Public Health 10/2017); U of Illinois – Chicago (DrPH Healthcare Leadership 10/2017); USF (DrPH Public Health 10/2017); U of Texas (Ph.D. Epidemiology 10/2017)
Accepted: Indiana U.
Rejected: UNC-Chapel Hill ( DrPH Public Health 10/2017); U of Illinois – Chicago (DrPH Healthcare Leadership 10/2017); USF (DrPH Public Health 10/2017); U of Texas (Ph.D. Epidemiology 10/2017)

I got accepted at my first choice and denied at the alternates. I will start classes in August 2018 at IU health. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Taylor University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.4 / 3.4
Major/Minor: Political Science
GradGPA: 3.4
Grad Studies: Healthcare Administration (George Washington U.)
GRE:
Experience/Research: 10 yrs work experience in Military and Healthcare
Special factors: First Generation College grad; Army veteran

Interested in: Epidemiology; Public Health Leadership
Applied: Harvard (MPH in Epidemiology 10/2017); Indiana U. (DrPH Public Health 10/2017); UNC-Chapel Hill ( DrPH Public Health 10/2017); U of Illinois – Chicago (DrPH Healthcare Leadership 10/2017); USF (DrPH Public Health 10/2017); U of Texas (Ph.D. Epidemiology 10/2017
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Did you get an MHA from GWU?