2021 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back on scholarship/aid from Columbia yet?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! How was your interview with UW??? I have mine tomorrow and am not sure what to expect!
Literally goes over the prompt that it says to prepared to speak about! Pretty straightforward. Felt like I just repeated what I said on my application questions. Good luck!

Does anyone have information on Icahn's MHA program? The online blend is confusing me so I don't know whether to apply or not
I heard back super quickly and it was a super easy application process. They waived the fee.

Has anyone heard back from Columbia recently? Still waiting to hear something back...

So I actually just heard back from Columbia and I’ve been waitlisted. Does anyone have any information on the chance of actually getting in if waitlisted? Any insight would appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I actually just heard back from Columbia and I’ve been waitlisted. Does anyone have any information on the chance of actually getting in if waitlisted? Any insight would appreciated!
Unfortunately I don't think anyone can offer you an accurate answer on this. If I had to guess though it'd be a few factors. Generally waitlist happens when you are a competitive applicant but they have already extended their maximum acceptances. If enough people decline or choose a different school then they would begin to extend acceptances to those who were on the waitlist. It all really depends on how many people applied this year and how many they are waiting for responses from and those that have accepted - all figures we don't really have information on.

Accepted to USC - no mention of aid, though.

I have a question for anyone who may have any input to share. I'm interested in either hybrid or part-time MHA programs, mainly so I can work and attend the program simultaneously. I've recently been accepted to Georgetown's MHSA program as well as Columbia's part-time MHA program. I am a Long Island, NY resident, but due to the nature of the programs, the location of either school is not a factor. I want to make my decision based purely on the strength of the program, and my fit of course. I am leaning quite heavily at the moment toward Columbia, but I figured I would ask other opinions, just to see if there may be anything I am not considering about either school. Thanks in advance.

Could you elaborate?
In terms of ranking, there are schools like University of Alabama and University of Minnesota at the top and then there are Ivy Leagues like Columbia University and well-known schools like Johns Hopkins that are ranked lower. I guess I am wondering in terms of the MHA program, in this scenario, how would a person decide which school would be best? I never like to think about the "name" of a school but I guess I am just curious what people's thoughts are on it. For example, would a person choose Johns Hopkins over University of Minnesota or vice versa if all other factors like location and curriculum are great and hold high standards? Does it matter long term when applying to jobs and would it open more opportunities when choosing a school like JHU?

Last edited:
"Thank you for your application to the MHA program here at ______. I am a faculty member in this program I would enjoy the opportunity to have a conversation with you regarding your application and the degree program."

Is this a request for an interview or should I be nervous? The wording is throwing me off a little bit, I might be looking into this too much though

Has anyone heard about aid/scholarships from USC? Is that information typically provided in the admissions letter? I emailed them and they told me that I wouldn't hear back about aid until May (a month after the statement of intent to enroll is due), but that's one of the main factors that I'm considering when deciding which program I'll be attending.

In terms of ranking, there are schools like University of Alabama and University of Minnesota at the top and then there are Ivy Leagues like Columbia University and well-known schools like Johns Hopkins that are ranked lower. I guess I am wondering in terms of the MHA program, in this scenario, how would a person decide which school would be best? I never like to think about the "name" of a school but I guess I am just curious what people's thoughts are on it. For example, would a person choose Johns Hopkins over University of Minnesota or vice versa if all other factors like location and curriculum are great and hold high standards? Does it matter long term when applying to jobs and would it open more opportunities when choosing a school like JHU?
Thanks for elaborating and great question!

So this is just my perspective now that I'm about one year removed from graduating with my Masters from Hopkins. If you go to any of the top 15 MHA programs (you could argue even top 20), don't worry about 'brand name' or well known schools. None of that really will make a tangible difference. On very rare ocassions it may be like a 1-5% difference but it really isn't what most perceive it as. I also thought similarly to how you are currently when I first started but I realized upon talking with some of the CEO's from various different hospital systems that they rarely take that into consideration. Furthermore, knowing what I know now I would have picked Ohio State University's MHA program over Hopkins. (I 100% loved my time at Hopkins and don't regret it one bit but I realized I could have saved infintely more money on tuition for very similar results).

It most definitely won't matter long term. I can promise you that. Even short-term it doesn't make a big impact. What is critical in post graduation is networking. Networking single handedly is what helps get you a job, cold applying really accomplishes nothing.

Also Johns Hopkins vs Minnesota decision should purely be based on what program spoke to you the most and what learning style do you prefer (they are both amazing programs). My best friend is graduating from that program this year (Minn.) and I graduated from Hopkins and I can say confidently neither of us were set up to be more successful than the other, it's what you make of it.

This is probably the one thing I cannot emphasize enough. If you are deciding between the schools you mentioned (or really any in the top 15), try to remove any of the biases we all have such as brand name, prestige, Ivy League distinction, etc. All of those schools are amazing and have great track records for their students post graduation. Instead, try to focus on what it is you are looking for the most in a program. Do you value a strong alumni network? A smaller cohort? Perhaps the option to participate in leadership opportunities that other programs don't offer? Do you prefer an accelerated program (hopkins) vs a traditional program where you get to really spend time to master the material being taught? What is it you want? Do you like the location? Do you want a program that offers a certification pathway or option to take additional classes? Do you want a program that has extensive networking experience with consulting firms because you know you want to do consulting?

Those are some of the things I would say people should focus on if they are debating between schools. It really really does not matter if you are picking between schools such as UAB, JHU, Columbia, Minnesota (in terms of comparison of how well known they are in the healthcare field).

I hope this helps shed some light. I'm more than happy to elaborate or answer any additional questions. If you would rather ask privately feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 5 users
"Thank you for your application to the MHA program here at ______. I am a faculty member in this program I would enjoy the opportunity to have a conversation with you regarding your application and the degree program."

Is this a request for an interview or should I be nervous? The wording is throwing me off a little bit, I might be looking into this too much though
That wording is a little weird the way it is written but from the looks of it, it sounds like an interview. In any case, I would treat it as such.

School: TOP 25 Private university
Major: doctor of pharmacy PHARM-D
GPA: 3.59 (SOPHAS and HAMPCAS)
Experience: One year of clinical residency and 3 publications.
Applied: JHU, Columbia, IOWA, UMN, UF ,NEW HAVEN, Texas state, UTA, Cornell.
Interview: IOWA, UMN, Texas State, UF.
Waitlist:
Rejected: Cornell, JHU, Columbia, IOWA, UMN.
Accepted: UF, New Haven, Texas state.
Attending: confused with NEW HAVEN OR UF, SINCE NEW HAVEN OFFERS ME A 50% SCHOLARSHIP.?????

School: TOP 25 Private university
Major: doctor of pharmacy PHARM-D
GPA: 3.59 (SOPHAS and HAMPCAS)
Experience: One year of clinical residency and 3 publications.
Applied: JHU, Columbia, IOWA, UMN, UF ,NEW HAVEN, Texas state, UTA, Cornell.
Interview: IOWA, UMN, Texas State, UF.
Waitlist:
Rejected: Cornell, JHU, Columbia, IOWA, UMN.
Accepted: UF, New Haven, Texas state.
Attending: confused with NEW HAVEN OR UF, SINCE NEW HAVEN OFFERS ME A 50% SCHOLARSHIP.?????
I am currently attending New Haven in my first semester. You can DM me if you want more information.

Hello guys, I am new here. Did anyone get accepted to the University of Washington yet?

Is anyone still waiting for USC? I applied back in December before priority and I know a lot of people got in.. I'm still waiting on this to decide what school.

Is anyone still waiting for USC? I applied back in December before priority and I know a lot of people got in.. I'm still waiting on this to decide what school.
I applied on 15th December, and received an admit from them last week. You can contact Will regarding an approximate decision date.

Is the George Washington MHA residency portion a paid residency? Same with USC?

Yes. Your third year fellowship/residency is often paid; your pay is not dependent on GW, but the health system/organization itself. Many pay you the same base rate as a medical fellow/resident. It is important to note that your third year fellowship is considered credits towards your degree.

Yes. Your third year fellowship/residency is often paid; your pay is not dependent on GW, but the health system/organization itself. Many pay you the same base rate as a medical fellow/resident. It is important to note that your third year fellowship is considered credits towards your degree.
Do you pay tuition for two years or three?

Do you pay tuition for two years or three?
All three. A fellowship is worth 6 credits towards your degree. Students often take anywhere from 11-13 credits per semester or 22-26 credits per year so your third year will cost roughly 1/4 of what you would pay your first or second year.

Hey
I think these universities come on top mostly in regard to the placement opportunities they provide, another important factor is the geographical location matters as to where you want to work. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone, I am new here. I was wondering if anyone had insight into the main differences and pros/cons between the UNC Chapel Hill and University of Michigan MHA programs. Also, which of these schools is better for consulting vs. hospital management placement? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

When did you hear back scholarships and etc after you got accepted to USC?When did you hear back scholarships and etc after you got accepted to USC?
I haven't received any information from USC regarding scholarships, so I'm assuming I wasn't awarded any merit scholarships. They said that actual aid awards are released in May.

Been using this forum for who knows how long, so I figured it's time I finally share my experience.

School: Top 25 Public University
Major: Public Health and Biology
GPA: 3.4
GRE: N/A
Experience (professional or otherwise): Non profit work, internships, free clinic work, volunteering, research, etc...

Applied: Columbia, GWU, Ohio State, JHU, Emory (MPH), Pitt, NYU (MPH), Tulane, UNC (MPH)

Interview: Columbia, Ohio State, GWU, Pitt, Tulane

Accepted: Ohio State, Columbia, GWU, Emory, Pitt, NYU, Tulane, UNC

Rejected: JHU

Attending: Columbia

Does anyone in here know if there is an admitted student groupme or FB page for the University of Michigan's MHSA program?