2021 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! Xavier is a really solid school, I really enjoyed interviewing there and they have a strong alumni base. Tuition is phenomenal (35K for 3 years!) plus the residency experience. I got in but chose Hopkins for a variety of reasons. I heard mixed things about UIC, heard it isn't a good program and my experience with SLU was terrible. They never replied to my emails, canceled the interview last minute. Just a terrible process honestly. Says a lot about the school, xavier was extremely good with communication and hopkins too. good luck!
That is awesome to hear! They are honestly my first choice because of the residency and the tuition (behind Hopkins but not sure if I'll get in there lol). Also I would agree they have been great about communication so far, I am very excited for my interview! But damn that sucks to hear about SLU... I agree though that it definitely says a lot about a school, thanks for letting me know that. If you have any specific tips for the Xavier interview that'd be great since it will be my first one :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is awesome to hear! They are honestly my first choice because of the residency and the tuition (behind Hopkins but not sure if I'll get in there lol). Also I would agree they have been great about communication so far, I am very excited for my interview! But damn that sucks to hear about SLU... I agree though that it definitely says a lot about a school, thanks for letting me know that. If you have any specific tips for the Xavier interview that'd be great since it will be my first one :)
Honestly, if you tell me to rank all the programs I've looked into it would be

Hopkins (Biased)
VCU
Xavier
OSU

these schools have done a solid job with their outcomes and students. Minnesota is nice too haha, for the xavier interview understand why you want an MHA vs MBA, why healthcare admin, why xavier and how do you see yourself helping out people as well.

lmk if you need anything else

Seems like Columbia is sending out decisions for MPH students...hoping they'll come soon

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you tell me to rank all the programs I've looked into it would be

Hopkins (Biased)
VCU
Xavier
OSU

these schools have done a solid job with their outcomes and students. Minnesota is nice too haha, for the xavier interview understand why you want an MHA vs MBA, why healthcare admin, why xavier and how do you see yourself helping out people as well.

lmk if you need anything else
Thank you so much for the interview advice, I appreciate it! I will definitely prepare with those questions in mind. Also if OSU is Ohio State, I am applying there as well, I just forgot to put it in my original post!

Hi everyone!
Has anyone interviewed with UNC Chapel Hill and have any tips?
Thanks!

Just got my Columbia acceptance a minute ago!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who’s applied to Rush - how long did it take for you to hear back from them after submitting your application?

Got into Emory Healthcare Management!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone applied to MHA program at University of Illinois at Chicago? I applied in mid November and still haven't heard back. Also let me know how the interview went!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied to MHA program at University of Illinois at Chicago? I applied in mid November and still haven't heard back. Also let me know how the interview went!
I applied around mid-December and heard back from them earlier this month. I don't think interviews are done for their school, I didn't have to do one before they accepted me. Have you tried reaching out to Joyce Elam? She's an academic advisor for the program I believe.

Congrats!! Just out of curiosity, when were all of your materials verified in the portal and when was your interview?
Thank you! I believe my materials were verified on SOPHAS 12/02, but UCLA did email me 12/14 to let me know that my SOPHAS and graduate application was officially received by the department. UCLA does not do interviews hence why I believe they ask you so many essay questions about yourself when applying.

I applied around mid-December and heard back from them earlier this month. I don't think interviews are done for their school, I didn't have to do one before they accepted me. Have you tried reaching out to Joyce Elam? She's an academic advisor for the program I believe.
Congratulations!! I emailed Brandon Sieglaff, the admissions contact, and he said that they do interview a large amount of applicants for this program and that I should expect a response around the end of this month (January).

Hey guys! Can anybody give some insight into GWU's MHA and Columbia's MHA programs (such as pros and cons)? They both seem like great programs so it's hard to decide.

Hey everyone! How long did it take for your SOPHAS application to be verified? I am trying to be patient but it's very hard especially because I was kinda late to the game....

Hey everyone! How long did it take for your SOPHAS application to be verified? I am trying to be patient but it's very hard especially because I was kinda late to the game....
Mine was verified in about 12 hours at the end of November!

Just looking for advice, tough applications, and I am just looking for advice.

School: State School
GPA: Cumulative - 3.06, Major - 3.21 (upward trend last 67 credits I had 4.0)
GRE: None
Major: Psychology
Minor: None

Experience:
  • Volunteer at local Free Clinic
  • Volunteer at a local clinic for past 4 years
  • Research assistant in an immunology lab (presented 2x, 1 upcoming 2nd author publication)
Special Factors:
  • 1st gen college student, recent immigrant from a third-world country
  • From low-income area
  • Interested in increasing advocacy for underserved and underprivileged communities in healthcare.
Applied: UCLA, JHU, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, University of Arizona
Interview: None
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU (1/26), UCLA (1/21)
Accepted:

I think I obviously overreached with schools I applied to, any advice for me on where I should apply with my stats?
I graduated in 2018 and took 2 years of post-bac classes to increase my GPA to raise it above 3.0, I was in hard stem major and my first 2 years of college were not good at all. After I graduated I became a much more disciplined student, I did post-bac where I got 4.0 in 67 credits, but I think it did not do much for colleges it seems.

I am not hurt by the rejections, I just hope to keep improving myself and get in somewhere that will take me with a good fit.
Any advice I'll take, thank you guys so much.
Hey! I'm not sure how much research you've done into programs, but it helped me A LOT when it came to finding places to apply to. My grades are great except for my math/statistics courses, and I have a lot of health, STEM, and disability experience, but not much with business. I'd look into programs that have opportunities like internships or community outreach that matches with your interests, and also look at the mission statement of each program. Those statements can tell you a ton about what that program values the most in their students, allowing you to play to your strengths in relation to their priorities. I utilized the US & World News list of MHA programs to find the best programs for me. Many people recommend applying to top 15 schools based on this list, but I am looking at the top 25 because I am not a genius and honestly those programs are still very good! For example, I have an interview with Xavier on Friday and they are ranked 23rd, but are a very well respected program with a ton of great opportunities that other programs don't offer. You may just have to open up your options to schools that aren't at the top if you're having trouble getting interviews/accepted. I wish you the best of luck!! Feel free to message me if you want any more input!

Just looking for advice, tough applications, and I am just looking for advice.

School: State School
GPA: Cumulative - 3.06, Major - 3.21 (upward trend last 67 credits I had 4.0)
GRE: None
Major: Psychology
Minor: None

Experience:
  • Volunteer at local Free Clinic
  • Volunteer at a local clinic for past 4 years
  • Research assistant in an immunology lab (presented 2x, 1 upcoming 2nd author publication)
Special Factors:
  • 1st gen college student, recent immigrant from a third-world country
  • From low-income area
  • Interested in increasing advocacy for underserved and underprivileged communities in healthcare.
Applied: UCLA, JHU, Yale, Columbia, Michigan, University of Arizona
Interview: None
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU (1/26), UCLA (1/21)
Accepted:

I think I obviously overreached with schools I applied to, any advice for me on where I should apply with my stats?
I graduated in 2018 and took 2 years of post-bac classes to increase my GPA to raise it above 3.0, I was in hard stem major and my first 2 years of college were not good at all. After I graduated I became a much more disciplined student, I did post-bac where I got 4.0 in 67 credits, but I think it did not do much for colleges it seems.

I am not hurt by the rejections, I just hope to keep improving myself and get in somewhere that will take me with a good fit.
Any advice I'll take, thank you guys so much.
I think my first post is on the first page of this thread but I have similar grades to you I think I a 3.1 or 2 and went to a state school. I also have a really similar background as well for experience and special factors. I think just really make your statement/letter of intents tailored towards schools and show why you're a good fit. Thats really what I focused on and show them why you are passionate and care about the field!! Also just try to show what special about you that they won't see in your resume.

Just got an acceptance over the phone from UAB!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you so much for this advice, I'll look at the US & World News list and go based on that, do you think it's too late for me to apply? Thank you so much for your response, congrats and good luck with your interview!
It honestly just depends on where you are applying. I was late to the game and my SOPHAS just got verified this morning, and I turned my applications in about 2 weeks ago. There are still plenty of programs that don't have deadlines until March or even later, so I think you should fix up you statements and apply!

Hey everyone! I'm just curious to see what the timeline looked like for people who applied to Minnesota? They received all of my materials yesterday after my SOPHAS was finally verified and I'm eager to hear back! Thanks :)

Hello everyone,

This may not be useful to a good chunk of individuals in this thread as it seems most of you have received acceptances or know where you are going to be attending. However, if you are still applying and would like someone to take a look at your statement, application, etc please feel free to reach out to me. I've already done that for a few people here and am more than happy to help in any way I can. I graduated Hopkins this past May and applied to many of the top 20 schools during my application cycle a few years ago.

In addition, if you have any questions about the application cycle, programs, or are still deciding between schools and want to ask someone who has graduated, my inbox is always open (or you can ask here).

Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those that have already received acceptances!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm trying to decide between University of Michigan and GW. I have a strong interest in both consulting and management making this a hard decision. Any advice would be helpful!

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to Minnesota’s MHA program. If you are comfortable, I am kind of wondering what everyone’s scholarship package is because they gave me less than what I expected.
Thanks!

School: Texas A&M University
Major: Public Health, minor in Business
GPA: 3.32
Major GPA: 3.85
GRE: N/A
Experience:
- 1 year Optometric Assistant
- Various medical/volunteering organizations
- 3 months working at a senior living facility

Applied: JHU, TAMU, MUSC, Utah, Memphis, UTHealth

Interview: JHU (11/17), MUSC (10/22), Utah (11/4), Memphis (11/6), UTHealth (no interview required)

Rejected: N/A

Accepted: JHU (11/18), MUSC (10/28), Utah (11/10), Memphis (11/13), UTHealth (10/30)

Attending: JHU

I'm really excited to attend Johns Hopkins and meet all of you guys!
Can I ask how your MUSC interview was? I have an interview coming up soon so would love advice. It is my first choice.

Has anyone heard back about funding/scholarship money from George Washington? I received acceptance about three weeks ago and was told they would follow up.

Has anyone recently applied to Hopkins and received an interview? I applied on 1/12 and have not heard back yet!

Has anyone heard back about funding/scholarship money from George Washington? I received acceptance about three weeks ago and was told they would follow up.
I’m waiting to hear back as well! Got my acceptance 4 weeks ago so hoping to hear back this week