Medical stupidity in movies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGarfield

Fat Cat of the house
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
you remember the Blood Transfusion scene in Amar Akbar Anthony?

Remember any more such medical blunders in movies?

Members don't see this ad.

How about...
people on hospital beds only die right after they have said their "valuable" dialogue?
And ..right when the heroin says..."tum mujhe chod kar nahi ja sakte (you can't die and leave me here)" ..the hero dies..(he was beated up by goons while he was saving the heroin; who had earlier made fun of his "true" love) ...now suddenly full of love..her tear falls on his cheek..and suddenly..we hear the beep--beep-- and Oh! he's suddenly alive...its a medical miracle...(her tears were just perfectly saline to bring the dead back to life!)... :rolleyes:

DrGarfield said:
you remember the Blood Transfusion scene in Amar Akbar Anthony?

Remember any more such medical blunders in movies?

The heart transplant in that Preity Zinta - Salman Khan movie. The girl starts "thinking" like Preity Zinta because she has Preity character's heart. :rolleyes:

There is also a scene in "Ashoka" where at the end the little prince gives a full speech with arrows hanging out of his back. Any of you ever tried that?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about that Amitabh-Ash-Devgan one. Amitabh is a psychatrist and he operates on Ash to remove a bullet.

The foetus transfer in Filhal?

BDS-DMD said:
How about that Amitabh-Ash-Devgan one. Amitabh is a psychatrist and he operates on Ash to remove a bullet.

The foetus transfer in Filhal?
:laugh: :laugh:

Haven't seen Filhal but sounds funny :laugh:

:laugh:
HistoRocks said:
The heart transplant in that Preity Zinta - Salman Khan movie. The girl starts "thinking" like Preity Zinta because she has Preity character's heart. :rolleyes:

There is also a scene in "Ashoka" where at the end the little prince gives a full speech with arrows hanging out of his back. Any of you ever tried that?

:laugh:
hopeful05 said:
How about...
people on hospital beds only die right after they have said their "valuable" dialogue?
And ..right when the heroin says..."tum mujhe chod kar nahi ja sakte (you can't die and leave me here)" ..the hero dies..(he was beated up by goons while he was saving the heroin; who had earlier made fun of his "true" love) ...now suddenly full of love..her tear falls on his cheek..and suddenly..we hear the beep--beep-- and Oh! he's suddenly alive...its a medical miracle...(her tears were just perfectly saline to bring the dead back to life!)... :rolleyes:

Well there is load of stupidity when it comes to bollywood. It is so rampant in bollywood that I dont want to talk what stupid things they talk in sundry bollywood movies. Even much critically acclaimed Black is not untouched by such stupidity though it is of a bit esoteric nature I still consider director should have been careful about details. film is otherwise fantastic.

The scene in which amitabh goes to buy ice cream and suddenly forgets what he is doing- thats more characteristic of vasculogenic dementia rather than Alzheimer's as the movies tells us.
Again amitabh has been shown tied to his cot with chains? I havent seen any alzheimers pts treated that way.
Also the tremors which amitabh has, indicates parkinsonism rather than alzheimer.

Finally at the end of movie amitabh start to recognize the words he once forgot. This reversal is very rare in alzheimers if not impossible. reversal is more common in vasculogenic dementia!!!!

ya there were actually a lot of blunders in Naina-

The blinds are not given corneal transplant to both eyes- we run short of donor corneas- so a blind person has to be happy gettin one eye only.

The movie shows a donor cornea from Bhuj- India transplanted in Urmila at London- India itself is in a huge deficit of donor corneas- so there is no way India sends donated corneas to UK!!

The donor girl died by drowning in river at village- the body was found the next morning. The cornea of a drowned person may have been destroyed due to being in hypotonic water- and again having stayed there under water the whole night and then transported to UK just in time to be still viable for re-implantation........impossible!

After reading these posts, one can only say, Bollywood is a medical miracle waiting to happen. :scared:

Premedtomed said:
Hmmn......
1.A doc walks in........with a red-maroon bag......checks the pulse......"mubarak ho aap maan bananne waali hain."
2.Inhe dwa nahin dua kee zarrorat hai.
3.I am sorry.....
4.ab bahut der ho chooki hai

How about some movies /TV shows I have seen where the guy grapbs the right part of his chest faking a heart attack :laugh:

Ever seen those :laugh:

:scared:
shardul said:
Well there is load of stupidity when it comes to bollywood. It is so rampant in bollywood that I dont want to talk what stupid things they talk in sundry bollywood movies. Even much critically acclaimed Black is not untouched by such stupidity though it is of a bit esoteric nature I still consider director should have been careful about details. film is otherwise fantastic.

The scene in which amitabh goes to buy ice cream and suddenly forgets what he is doing- thats more characteristic of vasculogenic dementia rather than Alzheimer's as the movies tells us.
Again amitabh has been shown tied to his cot with chains? I havent seen any alzheimers pts treated that way.
Also the tremors which amitabh has, indicates parkinsonism rather than alzheimer.

Finally at the end of movie amitabh start to recognize the words he once forgot. This reversal is very rare in alzheimers if not impossible. reversal is more common in vasculogenic dementia!!!!

:scared: till i read this post i thought black was flawless movie.
cheers!!! 4 u r nerdiness shardul :thumbup: :p no offence intended

DrGarfield said:
ya there were actually a lot of blunders in Naina-

The blinds are not given corneal transplant to both eyes- we run short of donor corneas- so a blind person has to be happy gettin one eye only.

The movie shows a donor cornea from Bhuj- India transplanted in Urmila at London- India itself is in a huge deficit of donor corneas- so there is no way India sends donated corneas to UK!!

The donor girl died by drowning in river at village- the body was found the next morning. The cornea of a drowned person may have been destroyed due to being in hypotonic water- and again having stayed there under water the whole night and then transported to UK just in time to be still viable for re-implantation........impossible!

I heard this movie is frame to frame rip off of a japanese movie which was remaded into a hollywood movie called The Eye. :idea:

Premedtomed said:

How about some movies /TV shows I have seen where the guy grapbs the right part of his chest faking a heart attack :laugh:

Ever seen those :laugh:

allergic2morons said:
:scared:

:scared: till i read this post i thought black was flawless movie.
cheers!!! 4 u r nerdiness shardul :thumbup: :p no offence intended

:laugh: what else do u expect from a aspiring neurologist?

shardul said:
:laugh: what else do u expect from a aspiring neurologist?
:scared: Have u seen the movie called Extrem Measures i think u will enjoy it :thumbup:

allergic2morons said:
:scared: Have u seen the movie called Extrem Measures i think u will enjoy it :thumbup:

hey dont get scarred i was just joking. Neurology means 3+3 years after mbbs. Its just one of my options.

i havet seen the movie. Is about neurology?

shardul said:
hey dont get scarred i was just joking. Neurology means 3+3 years after mbbs. Its just one of my options.

i havet seen the movie. Is about neurology?
:laugh: yeah its about a neurologist and a paraplegic u must see it.
If not neurologist then what? :confused:

If u r confused take this speciality aptitude tests. Though the results may be bizzare its good time pass!

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/intro.htm :thumbup:
dont forget to tell me u r results! :laugh: