MCW vs. UT-Memphis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boardgal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted into several med schools and have narrowed it down to UT-Memphis and MCW. I am so torn between the two though! I'd appreciate any input anyone has about these schools, good or bad.

I am a Tennessee resident, but I don't know if I want to practice in Tennessee. Id really like to live in a few other places before deciding. Right now I am leaning towards Peds/surgery.

UT-Memphis:

From what I saw at my interview, UT-Memphis is GREAT during the clinical years. It really seemed like med students get to see and do a lot. Also, I liked their testing schedule a lot. St. Judes is in Memphis. Memphis is a larger city than Milwaukee and it is closer to home (still about 9 hours). It is cheaper by about $40000 over the course of the 4 years.

MCW

I really liked the pathways program that they have and like that they are headed towards a more integrated curriculum (UT is still just lecture based). Also, MCW has a huge children's hospital (great for peds). I also like that you have the opportunity to do away rotations your fourth year. (I may be mistaken about this but I don't think that UT-Memphis is as good with this). I have a lot of ties to the Midwest in that my family is spread out all over Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. My cousins actually live in Milwaukee.

Also in terms of research it seems like both have opportunities available. Does anyone have any info on the accessibility of research?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I have been fortunate enough to have been accepted into several med schools and have narrowed it down to UT-Memphis and MCW. I am so torn between the two though! I'd appreciate any input anyone has about these schools, good or bad.

I am a Tennessee resident, but I don't know if I want to practice in Tennessee. Id really like to live in a few other places before deciding. Right now I am leaning towards Peds/surgery.

UT-Memphis:

From what I saw at my interview, UT-Memphis is GREAT during the clinical years. It really seemed like med students get to see and do a lot. Also, I liked their testing schedule a lot. St. Judes is in Memphis. Memphis is a larger city than Milwaukee and it is closer to home (still about 9 hours). It is cheaper by about $40000 over the course of the 4 years.

MCW

I really liked the pathways program that they have and like that they are headed towards a more integrated curriculum (UT is still just lecture based). Also, MCW has a huge children's hospital (great for peds). I also like that you have the opportunity to do away rotations your fourth year. (I may be mistaken about this but I don't think that UT-Memphis is as good with this). I have a lot of ties to the Midwest in that my family is spread out all over Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. My cousins actually live in Milwaukee.

Also in terms of research it seems like both have opportunities available. Does anyone have any info on the accessibility of research?

Thanks so much!

40k? Yikes. Go to UT.

I think mcw has a little better reputation. As far as cities go, both are fun, I actually think milwaukee is a pretty underrated city, I always have fun when I go there. Most ppl I know at mcw are pretty happy. We give them a lot of crap bc of our quasi rivalry (although Uw is obv a lot better :) ) but their teaching hospitals froedert and childrens hosp of wi are fabulous and you'll def get exposure to a very diverse patient population.

Status
Not open for further replies.