Mcw Class Of 2011 Awesome Part 3!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any suggestions on how to study for the anatomy final and for the MIM midterm?

thanks!
anatomy written final - old exams old exams old exams old exams. That was the majority of what I studied, and I did quite well on the written final.

MIM midterm - definitely know your definitions and equations. Those were the majority of the test, I think. It's worth an afternoon of studying.

Members don't see this ad.

any suggestions on how to study for the anatomy final and for the MIM midterm?

thanks!

For anatomy, go through the old practice exams and old notes and see what you do and don't know. Review the brachial plexus and cranial nerves and all that, as quite a bit of it is what happens if something happens to X nerve. If you did fine on previous written exams, then keep on doing what you've been doing.

For MIM, learn the silly formulae, the types of studies and what they're used for, and go through all the notes a couple of times. It's not a super-hard exam, but you do need to know the terminology reasonably well. You'll probably have some examples of studies and need to know what kind they are. I can't remember if there were a lot of statistical questions or not (prevalence of this or that was what% from some stupid lecture or other), but you can at least high pass the exam without knowing that stuff, because I sure didn't feel like learning it at this point in the semester last year.

You'll probably have some examples of studies and need to know what kind they are.
Oh yeah, that too. I remember getting tripped up on a few of them, because some of them are pretty similar. Know your longitudinal vs cross-section studies, and all the other ones too. Isn't there an ecological one or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
MIM: review sheets + sleep.

Hi, I'm in this class, I just got really sick of sdn by the end of the application process. Now that finals are over and we've picked up the 5 inch packet of physiology notes, I'm feeling kind of intimidated.

Dear more advanced students, out of physio, ctb, and neuro, which class sucks most? Is there a "biochem" of second semester? I would like my dread to be accurately placed. Thank you for your assistance.

Hi, I'm in this class, I just got really sick of sdn by the end of the application process. Now that finals are over and we've picked up the 5 inch packet of physiology notes, I'm feeling kind of intimidated.

Dear more advanced students, out of physio, ctb, and neuro, which class sucks most? Is there a "biochem" of second semester? I would like my dread to be accurately placed. Thank you for your assistance.

I found phys to be way more manageable than biochem. Much more about understanding concepts to reason out the way things work than memorization. It all depends on your learning style, though. Personally, I HATED neuro, and dreaded every second I had to study it. CTB is boring but more like the Devo of 1st semester in terms of workload (but don't blow it off like I did).

I hated neuro, therefore, I didn't study much for it.

I loved phys and CTB. I found both fun and interesting. Phys is definitely the most useful, but it helps to be able to look at tissue for path. So far, only 1 resident has asked me some random fact from CTB. I said I didn't remember learning it in path, and he said, "No, but you did in CTB." That was a resident who went here.

As far as studyload for me, I think I put more time into phys, so I would probably parallel that with biochem and say neuro was more parallel to anatomy, with CTB to devo as mentioned. As for which sucked more, that kinda depended on the block and who happened to be teaching it. There were probably more collective groans from neuro I suppose, but physiology caused its share of pain that year too.

Physiology was notorious for tricky/hard/poorly written/often borderline unfair test questions. Don't know if that has changed in the last couple years. And then after the test there was this delightful online griping session where everyone made their case for why they thought questions should be thrown out, and then all the complaints were dismissed with a big nonspecific broad sweeping "sorry, that question is valid" without actually addressing any of anyone's specific concerns. Grrrrrr. It's all coming back to me now.:mad:

Finally, I personally have a bad taste in my mouth for CTB. Although it was generally easy and well-taught, I missed honors by one single test question, and there were two or three questions on the final that were iffy enough I felt they should have given me the benefit of the doubt but they would not budge. That high pass started a chain-reaction of drugs and self-destruction that precluded me from matching in any but the least competetive specialties. Ok so I made that last part up.

Loved phys. You have to put a lot into pulmonary and renal, but it is more conceptual overall. Hated neuro. I think the biochem study load was distributed between the two, though; there was non single worst workload. CTB was fine with the virtual microscope and all, but do pay attention and don't cram at the end, even though you can get away with it if you've got the stamina. Actually knowing the stuff reduces the frequency with which you will look at slides in Path the next year and say, "Hey, there's some pink s**t."

Actually knowing the stuff reduces the frequency with which you will look at slides in Path the next year and say, "Hey, there's some pink s**t."

Meh, not necessarily. I felt like heme stuff was a bunch of blue cells with an occasional Auer Rod, even though I did fine in that section. Just wait til you get to Renal with "All these stupid slides are green and squiggly!"

Meh, not necessarily. I felt like heme stuff was a bunch of blue cells with an occasional Auer Rod, even though I did fine in that section. Just wait til you get to Renal with "All these stupid slides are green and squiggly!"

Damn.

I thought that feeling of, "There's some pink s**t," would go away if I studied just a little harder.

Cram for CTB, people. Don't waste your life!

vacation!!!! back in california where i can get a little tipzy and maybe find some cute california guys again!!!!!! i hated this semster!!!!!!!!!!

time to celebrates!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your responses, phys does sound like it'll be really interesting, and luckily I'm a huge fan of colored squiggles (or not)! They assigned me a neurologist for the mentorship program, hopefully that'll keep me somewhat interested in that stuff - he seems pretty enthusiastic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say neuro is the second semester biochem. It's got a lot of little minutiae that you have to memorize, and in the past, it's been poorly organized. Other than bombing the first exam, I did better in neuro than biochem though. At least I thought neuro was an interesting topic overall. I thought that phys was an extremely well-run course. Dr. Liard takes it very seriously, and it worked out well. Scott was the phys tutor, which helped, and all the old phys tests are on ANGEL, which helped, and they follow Guyton's textbook quite closely, which helped, etc. I definitely felt like I knew what to expect going into each exam. Even better, I felt like phys was a very coherent subject just by nature, so it wasn't nearly as much of a cram-fest as neuro and CTB. The pulmonary/renal block was the single time in med school that I actually thought it wasn't bad, but everyone else did. Usually it's the reverse :D

I liked second semester more - the blocks were long, but that gave you some vacation time. You also don't have so much anatomy lab, so you have a lot more unstructured time. You'll probably study more, but it won't really feel like it.

Thanks everyone for your responses, phys does sound like it'll be really interesting, and luckily I'm a huge fan of colored squiggles (or not)! They assigned me a neurologist for the mentorship program, hopefully that'll keep me somewhat interested in that stuff - he seems pretty enthusiastic.

Getting a neurologist for your mentor might just refocus you so you can actually see that neuro in practice is actually relatively interesting, whereas the class as run by He and She Neitz is a new form of torture being investigated for use by the CIA.

Getting a neurologist for your mentor might just refocus you so you can actually see that neuro in practice is actually relatively interesting, whereas the class as run by He and She Neitz is a new form of torture being investigated for use by the CIA.
but I think Krippendorf took over this year. Otherwise, I agree. It was very poorly organized.

but I think Krippendorf took over this year. Otherwise, I agree. It was very poorly organized.

That's why I specified. I love Krippy, but I don't know if she can work her magic in a year and have the whole class completely reformatted, including having the lecturers rewrite their lectures.

That's why I specified. I love Krippy, but I don't know if she can work her magic in a year and have the whole class completely reformatted, including having the lecturers rewrite their lectures.
Yeah, I doubt she can, not that I blame her. DeYoe really needs to re-write his lectures.

I am so glad this semester is done! Yesterday, we had a semi blizzard in MN and I just sat back, watched the snow fall, snuggled with my cat and started knitting a sweater. I love Krippendorf. In the begin... before I knew her real name and had just heard it a few times in anatomy lab I thought she was Dr. Gryffindor until someone corrected me. I bought Wheaters, and a BRS Phys. Is the Neuro or Phys book worth purchasing? Do we get notes for Neuro and CTB?

We have generally mixed opinions about Guyton, which is the phys book... I vote yes! Or Constanzo, or whatever, but a book for phys is probably a good idea, in addition to the BRS. And BRS is a good book!

Neuro... so my neuro knowledge is outdated, and the course has undergone a lot of changes since then, but I still vote no. Krippendorf (we call her B Kripps) wasn't a huge fan of the text is anatomy, so I assume the same would be true of Neuro.

As usual, notes/coops are your friend.

If the text for Neuro is Nadeau, I vote no. Horrible book.

I vote yes for Guyton. Funk likes Costanzo. She also wrote BRS phys which I only used for step 1, but I was told right b4 finals that I should've been using it throughout the year. The class will closely follow Guyton.

Guyton for Cardio and Renal, maybe for GI as well. Not so much for Pulmonary, and not at all for Endo. I liked BRS a lot (it's all I used for Step I phys), and read Physiology Secrets for some things (especially endo) as well.

Yeah, physiology secrets was good for endocrine, because Raff wrote that chapter in the book, and he teaches it in class.

Clinical neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple summed up most of our neuron course in 90 pages for me.
That class was horrible

Guyton for Cardio and Renal, maybe for GI as well. Not so much for Pulmonary, and not at all for Endo. I liked BRS a lot (it's all I used for Step I phys), and read Physiology Secrets for some things (especially endo) as well.

Agree. I used Guyton for cardio through renal, also lungs. GI was basically reprinted onto our slides. Endocrine is amazingly presentedy by Dr. Raff, no book was necessary if you have any endocrine experience.

Agree. I used Guyton for cardio through renal, also lungs. GI was basically reprinted onto our slides. Endocrine is amazingly presentedy by Dr. Raff, no book was necessary if you have any endocrine experience.
his questions were not nearly as nice for us as they were for previous exams....go back to last May's posts, and you'll see a few bitter ones....

I was always kind of skeptical of the idea that switching to animals that weren't as cute would make everything okay.

You think dogs are cuter than pigs? I think I disagree.

activate_pig.jpg

I'm excited to see if when the (significantly fewer) protestors show up, will they bring pigs on leashes like they did with the dogs?

I'm excited to see if when the (significantly fewer) protestors show up, will they bring pigs on leashes like they did with the dogs?

Pigs on leashes are cute. My neighbors that lived catty-cornered across the bridle trail growing up used to have a pig for 4H, his name was Gar. When Gar was young, he'd go for walks in the neighbor hood, then one day, Gar became a smoked sausage, and many other things.

I still think I should have ran past the school last year with my dog covered in fake blood. Oh well.

i wonder how expensive it was to take out replace "dog" with "pig" and put a picture of Babe on the picture?
http://www.pcrm.org/resch/meded/mcw_doglab/
The public won't give a damn. "Oh no, don't do that to our precious bacon supply!" People eat pigs like they're going out of style. I will find it very hard to take anyone who disagrees with the use of pigs seriously unless they're a vegetarian. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, you don't have a leg to stand on.

... I will find it very hard to take anyone who disagrees with the use of pigs seriously unless they're a vegetarian. ...

What's the alternative to taking some one seriously? Taking them sillily?

What is the MIM final like? Is it just another midterm as far as content goes? Do they ask PICO stuff...

What is the MIM final like? Is it just another midterm as far as content goes? Do they ask PICO stuff...

The MIM final in the spring is a shelf exam.

Enjoy.

Edit: Unless they changed it.

Oh man...

Back in my day, we had no genetics class, and had to trudge through a shelf exam at the end of MIM.

Harumph...

has mcw ever cancelled classes due to the weather or is that just a big pipe dream? (especially since we M1s have exams tomorrow?) i am just not looking forward to studying all night and then getting up and shovelling 18 inches of snow and then trying to drive in it... and i am sure the roads will be plowed nicely... :thumbdown:

I think it's been cancelled before, but probably not for exams. Study study!

(I'd actually recommend staying at school if you can, but that's me. I like those couches by the cafeteria. They're surprisingly comfy).

oh, never mind. they just sent us an email telling us our exam was rescheduled. so i guess i will just have to sleep at school some other time. on a happier note, my dog will be happy to have me home.

Wow. People are scared of this storm. Fun times.

There was a loud BOO from the M3 audience when Dr. Simons told us that. I don't want to go to the hospital at 5am to round with all the crappy snow.

There was a loud BOO from the M3 audience when Dr. Simons told us that. I don't want to go to the hospital at 5am to round with all the crappy snow.

Yeah, the drive to St Marys tomorrow morning's gonna suck.

our test was canceled!!!!! now maybe i wont fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that makes happy!