Mcw Class Of 2011 Awesome Part 3!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, it was block 1 of all last year that usually got me. My lowest grade in every class in M1 was attained in block 1.

I'm not saying grades are bad. My lowest grades weren't in block 2. There's just more information in block 2 than any other block... path, micro, pharm, anatomy, biochem, etc. Block 6 in path = neuropath, that's kinda tough (block 6 corresponds with block 2 sem 2)

Members don't see this ad.

i have a biochem related question: do u have to know the structures of everything included in a pathway (for example, the structure of 3-PG in glycolysis) or is it enough to know what the enzyme does to it to get to the next step and to know the pathway v. well?

No. However, I found that knowing where the carbons n' such were going made it easier to remember the pathways.

ahhh, just look back at when we were freaking out about block 2, and the year before that, when Funk was telling us how bad block 2 was....

Their block 2 isn't the same as ours was. They've just started biochem 2 weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a biochem related question: do u have to know the structures of everything included in a pathway (for example, the structure of 3-PG in glycolysis) or is it enough to know what the enzyme does to it to get to the next step and to know the pathway v. well?
nah, you don't need to know the structures of the glycolysis intermediates, although it might help to look at the structures a few times so you can see what each reaction is successively removing from the original glucose.

Their block 2 isn't the same as ours was. They've just started biochem 2 weeks ago.
they're still doing metabolism right now though, I think, which is what we did. Some of Deschenes stuff went into their genetics course.

Typically if you know every enzyme and every step and can think through the consequences of missing a particular enzyme (including consequences in how many NADH you now won't have, etc.), you're golden.

thanks for the responses! i can relax a little now

No... I don't think so. I don't think we're allowed to relax until we're seniors.

Don't listen to her! Relax a little every chance you get. The moments are SO FLEETING!

Senior year is great! Not relaxing, but great!!!

FP PBL is a lot easier than psych PBL, and I get to choose whatever topics I want, since I'm in Racine. Therefore, tonight, I'm looking at treatments of Colles' fractures (removable splints vs. hard cast) and Osteoarthritis treatment (Glucosamine+Chondroitin vs. NSAID).

This also means I FINALLY got to see some musculoskeletal stuff instead of just prenatals, DM checks, and f/u HTN. :D

Today i administered a TB skin test (woooo....a monkey could do it) and watched a liter and a half of fluid get drained out of a pleural space. sweet! it looked like tasty beer...golden brown and frothy. getting to do an arterial blood gas is next on my list, followed by emergency cardioectomy.

Today i administered a TB skin test (woooo....a monkey could do it) and watched a liter and a half of fluid get drained out of a pleural space. sweet! it looked like tasty beer...golden brown and frothy. getting to do an arterial blood gas is next on my list, followed by emergency cardioectomy.

Fun stuff! I would've been able to do a joint injection if the woman hadn't said that joint injections don't work for her... pshaw!

Members don't see this ad :)
We did one the other day... actually two, bilateral knees. Scott Larsen would have been able to do it but I stole it from him. Because I'm an evil procedure thief. And he tells lies. Lies!

Good thing you're at the VA. At Froedtert you wouldn't be doing any of that stuff.

ABG's are fun. Just make sure you know about the test you do beforehand to test for adequate collateral blood flow in case you thrombose the radial a. I think it's like the Allen test or something (it's in the How to be an Excellent JMS pocketbook you have). I got pimped by everyone from my intern to the murse I asked for the ABG kit about that test.

ABG's are fun. Just make sure you know about the test you do beforehand to test for adequate collateral blood flow in case you thrombose the radial a. I think it's like the Allen test or something (it's in the How to be an Excellent JMS pocketbook you have). I got pimped by everyone from my intern to the murse I asked for the ABG kit about that test.

We learned that in CER! woohoo.

Depending on which journal you cite, that test isn't very accurate (like a lot of the things you learn in physical exam courses). One study showed a diagnostic accuracy of ~50%. Others showed better numbers.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it (we were +/- on it for art lines during my ICU month...and I only saw the fellow do it once), but rather that you should always question dogma, and look for the evidence behind what we do.

Hey. What books are necessary for 2nd Semester of the M-1 year. The reason I ask so soon is because I have a B-day coming up and was thinking about telling my parents that I want a book or two from them. (It will save me money and make them think that I'm extremely studious.)

Hey. What books are necessary for 2nd Semester of the M-1 year. The reason I ask so soon is because I have a B-day coming up and was thinking about telling my parents that I want a book or two from them. (It will save me money and make them think that I'm extremely studious.)

That's a lame nerdy reason. Are you also going to have a party and invite everyone? ;)

If Nadeau's is recommended for neuro, don't buy it. My dad likes to read emails over my shoulder, so he saw that was required for us, and he bought it for me for Christmas. One of the lamest Christmas presents ever.

You'll NEED Wheaters. I loved Guyton. You may also hear some stuff about Costanzo, but we're a Guytonian school. BRS phys would be helpful for going through with the class, since you'll probably end up using it for step 1. I used it only for step 1.

I don't think anymore books are necessary.

I agree that Wheaters and Guyton are very important, and I'm not really a textbook person. The international edition of Guyton is much cheaper--check out campusi.com or abebooks.com.

I agree that Wheaters and Guyton are very important, and I'm not really a textbook person. The international edition of Guyton is much cheaper--check out campusi.com or abebooks.com.

Yay! You're finally saying campusi too! It does list abebooks if abebooks has the book for cheap. I was looking for a book on campusi and it gave abebooks as the cheapest route (for a really crappy edition) -- I found a "good" for $0.50 more at some used B&N thing.

Campusi is awesome. I started using that ~7 years ago. Doesn't let me down.

I figured the mention of Costanzo would bring you back. ;)

You can't deny we're a Guytonian school though. Only experience I've had with Costanzo is BRS Phys.

Indeed we are a Guytonian school. Just another example of MCW curriculum being 50 years behind the cutting edge of medical education. Costanzo and the Funkster here are more than happy to be the Jetsons to Cowley and Co.'s Flintstones.

Yeah, that's right. I went there.

Indeed we are a Guytonian school. Just another example of MCW curriculum being 50 years behind the cutting edge of medical education. Costanzo and the Funkster here are more than happy to be the Jetsons to Cowley and Co.'s Flintstones.

Yeah, that's right. I went there.

Meh... if we'd've used Costanzo as the text, I would've bought and read that. The lectures pretty much follow Guyton though. I even used Guyton while studying for boards, just like I used Robbins. (Reference only!)

I even used Guyton while studying for boards, just like I used Robbins. (Reference only!)

Yeah, but you're kinda crazy. You know, in the good way. ;)

No. I forbid you from asking for books for your birfday.

phys----> COSTANZA and rapid review or BRS. Then just borrow somebody's guyton when you want to.

No. I forbid you from asking for books for your birfday.

phys----> COSTANZA and rapid review or BRS. Then just borrow somebody's guyton when you want to.
or you could just do as I did, and not use any textbooks unless you get Guyton from reserve.

You could honor phys without using anything more than the handouts for the class except for the occasional point of clarification from Guyton.

or you could just do as I did, and not use any textbooks unless you get Guyton from reserve.

You could honor phys without using anything more than the handouts for the class except for the occasional point of clarification from Guyton.

But then you can't write notes to yourself in the book like "I hate phys!" or "Path is evil!" if you check the books out from reserve.

That, and I'm old, so there's really no point.

My birthday was spent on call on medicine at Froedtert. I didn't even tell people it was my b-day cuz I was in denial (still am) of being old.

But then you can't write notes to yourself in the book like "I hate phys!" or "Path is evil!" if you check the books out from reserve.
I don't like writing in books. the most I'll do with my Robbins is highlight it.

Or at lease you shouldn't write things like that in library books.

But stranger things have happened.

i totally wasn't expecting devo to be so sucky today...

I always went to devo because I felt bad for Bolender because no one was ever there.
I always went to devo... and usually fell asleep.

Still, I didn't really think it deserved the reputation it got for its lectures. I actually really liked having primarily one person doing all the teaching because it meant we knew exactly what would be on the test. Unlike path.

I always went to devo... and usually fell asleep.

Still, I didn't really think it deserved the reputation it got for its lectures. I actually really liked having primarily one person doing all the teaching because it meant we knew exactly what would be on the test. Unlike path.

I think for Devo it all depends on whether Bolender's cadence puts you to sleep or not. I liked his lectures just fine at home on doublespeed. Path does feel like more of a crapshoot.

I always went to devo because I felt bad for Bolender because no one was ever there.

Oh, just found out from a couple other M1s you probably were referring to the exam and not the lectures.

Block 2 = fun times. :scared: (Like I've said before, it's block 2 of ALL semesters M1 and M2 year)

Oh, just found out from a couple other M1s you probably were referring to the exam and not the lectures.

Block 2 = fun times. :scared: (Like I've said before, it's block 2 of ALL semesters M1 and M2 year)

unlike block 2 of M2 year, block 2 of M1 year had some of my best test scores.

i totally wasn't expecting devo to be so sucky today...

I agree that the devo test sucked...it was my worst grade on a test so far. I actually preferred the biochem test over devo. How messed up is that? I guess I know what I need to focus more on for next block.

Is it necessary/helpful to get the book for MIM?

Is it necessary/helpful to get the book for MIM?

No. There will be a couple of times where it is helpful to read the book on reserve, like maybe the very first or second reading assignment. And you may want to look up better explanations of the basic statistical calculations than you get in lecture, but we just asked our small group leader to help us out.

MIM has a book?
Exactly. No, you don't need the book for MIM. The handouts honestly had everything you needed to honor MIM. Just a warning though - make sure you know what your facilitator expects of you in order to get full credit for participation. We had some shenanigans there.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. :)