MCPHS-Worcester c/o 2010 thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the book that they require can be found on the link posted above, + we need "Clinical skills for pharmacists: a patient-focused approach" 2nd edition for Intro to pharmaceutical care I

also, can you tell us whether mcphs charges for printing in the computer labs/library?

I know some schools charge you 10 cents per page...... i'm reading the service learning sites... FUN.. :eek:

I found this here: http://prod.campuscruiser.com/PageServlet?pg=home_annboard&tg=AnnBoard-detail&annId=232170&cx=22.301

Over the past several years, student printing volume has increased dramatically. Information Services has actively worked to implement solutions that address that trend, as well as adapt to future needs.

Within the next several weeks, IS will be implementing high-speed multifunction printers in our high-volume print areas within the College. These printers have a much higher capacity for the volume of our printing environment, increasing productivity for all.

With the implementation of this new equipment, a policy has been created to address several areas of concern for many students. You may read the full policy by visiting:
http://www.mcphs.edu/about%5Fmcphs/offices%5Fand%5Fservices/information_services/policies.html

Key points to remember:
1) We will NOT be charging for standard black & white printing

2) Color printing will be made available to students, with a nominal fee assigned. Stay tuned for more announcements regarding this new feature soon!

3) Student quotas will be enforced, and the selected number of pages per semester was determined after analyzing historical data from previous semesters.

Please feel free to contact me with any comments or feedback once you’ve adapted to the new setup and equipment.

Thank you,
Tom Scanlon
Director of Information Services

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem-- I shared the biochem book with someone, and that was more than plenty- but Kearny assigns work out of it so you want to make sure you have a copy of the current edition available. The guide is helpfull, but not at all necesary. Its mostly practice problems and I think I used it 2-3 times all year.

Pharmaceutics/Calculations: You will need the current calculations book. dr Nicholas assigns lots of problems in each chapter and the new edition is very different from the previous one. You guys will have a new Pharmaceutics prof so I can't help you there as to whether or not you will need those books.

Patho:
The pysiology book assigned is different than the one we had, but one of the profs lectures right out of the book. I know some people who never used it and others who referenced it a lot. I think it depends on your studying habits. I haven't used the patho book at all so I wouldn't recomend buying it, you can always reference the library's copy if you need to.

US Health Care:
You will need both of these texts! Lahoz will not cover all of the material because she expects you to complete her chapter study guides. The study guides helped me a lot though- so I would recommend doing them.

IPC- you will never open that book. I forgot I even had it until I moved last week- so don't waste your money on that one.

Ok- I think thats all of them- if I missed anything or if you have any other questions feel free to ask or pm me. Thanks

Astevens

I think you need to buy...

1. Biochem <- Don't need this. his lecture note is more than enough.

2. Calculation <- Some people share but it is better for you to buy this one

3. Physio/Path <- If you don't have any physio book, then buy. Otherwise, don't even bother... especially patho book

4. US Health <- Need both

None of recommended books are necessary, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey DrugDealer,

Can you please give P1s some advices on ways of preparing for P2 courses? Summer semester is about to be done and we are going to start an intermediate rotation after vacation.

What would you do if you go back to a year before to make yourself more prepared? What/how should we study/do to do well for P2 courses especially for therapeutics?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Here's what I did and it seemed to work: During your intermediate rotation, you have to do an Rx drug digest (similar to the OTC drug digest you did this spring). It never gets collected, so many students did not take it seriously. I honestly worked on it everyday, though--I would work on it at my site when it was slow. That may have been overkill, but I spent my time making tables of the drugs...brand, generic, dosage forms, doses, ADRs, etc. So, when therapeutics came around in the fall, I already had the beginnings of all my tables. I could just insert extra columns and rows as needed. (Oh, yeah, I obviously recommend you type it up; some of my friends hand-wrote theirs but I think that is ******ed).

I used my F&C since we had to buy it for PPP lab anyway, and as much as I love the internet databases, it's nice to have a hard copy to look at. BUT, I tried hard not to just type word-for-word what I was reading. I read it, thought about, then typed it up in my own words. A lot of the mechanisms of action were foreign to me at the time, so I always made sure I understood them before I proceeded to write about the rest of the drug class (it sort of makes sense to do the MOA before moving on to doses, CIs, precautions, DDIs, etc). I often had to review my basic physiology first, and whenever possible, I would incorporate little pictures of the MOA in my drug digest (Wikipedia totally rocks!). I went back to CA for my intermediate rotation, so I didn't bother to take my phys or pathophys book with me--the internet was sufficient for this basic background.

My boyfriend thought I was crazy spending so much time on this, but it totally paid off in the fall and for the rest of my P2 year. I already had a one up on all the MOAs in pharmacology and for making study tables. I often brought sections of my drug digest to class with me as a reference.

I also brought my OTC book to my rotation site, and picked a different topic to "re-learn" each day. I would ask my preceptor what he usually recommended for a specifc symptom, and then we would talk about the book's recommendations. He often learned something, too, and it's the drugs we talked about that I still remember.

I was also at a very slow store (Target), so you may not have time to just sit down and read a chapter from the OTC book.

I didn't specifically do these things to prepare for my P2 year, but it certainly ended up helping.

p2's: any suggestions on the best service learning choices? kids, adults, elderly, clinics?

also, dumb question, but i am guessing that course packets are a MUST. (money's tight so just making sure!)

lastely, how about parking? i will be commuting so i was wondering if i should wait and get parking at orientation, or go through a private lot/garage by myself.

thanks in advance.

I have finally received my award letter, but the school barely gives me $3000 per semester! Do you guys all have to apply for private student loans? Any one know the site where I can access my billing statement online?

Here's what I did and it seemed to work: During your intermediate rotation, you have to do an Rx drug digest (similar to the OTC drug digest you did this spring). It never gets collected, so many students did not take it seriously. I honestly worked on it everyday, though--I would work on it at my site when it was slow. That may have been overkill, but I spent my time making tables of the drugs...brand, generic, dosage forms, doses, ADRs, etc. So, when therapeutics came around in the fall, I already had the beginnings of all my tables. I could just insert extra columns and rows as needed. (Oh, yeah, I obviously recommend you type it up; some of my friends hand-wrote theirs but I think that is ******ed).

I used my F&C since we had to buy it for PPP lab anyway, and as much as I love the internet databases, it's nice to have a hard copy to look at. BUT, I tried hard not to just type word-for-word what I was reading. I read it, thought about, then typed it up in my own words. A lot of the mechanisms of action were foreign to me at the time, so I always made sure I understood them before I proceeded to write about the rest of the drug class (it sort of makes sense to do the MOA before moving on to doses, CIs, precautions, DDIs, etc). I often had to review my basic physiology first, and whenever possible, I would incorporate little pictures of the MOA in my drug digest (Wikipedia totally rocks!). I went back to CA for my intermediate rotation, so I didn't bother to take my phys or pathophys book with me--the internet was sufficient for this basic background.

My boyfriend thought I was crazy spending so much time on this, but it totally paid off in the fall and for the rest of my P2 year. I already had a one up on all the MOAs in pharmacology and for making study tables. I often brought sections of my drug digest to class with me as a reference.

I also brought my OTC book to my rotation site, and picked a different topic to "re-learn" each day. I would ask my preceptor what he usually recommended for a specifc symptom, and then we would talk about the book's recommendations. He often learned something, too, and it's the drugs we talked about that I still remember.

I was also at a very slow store (Target), so you may not have time to just sit down and read a chapter from the OTC book.

I didn't specifically do these things to prepare for my P2 year, but it certainly ended up helping.

Thank you so much for your advice! Appreciated very much~

Hope you enjoy your last didactic portion. It will be done in about 2 weeks! Yeah~

do we need to buy those powerpoint slides packets? can we choose to buy certain course packets but not others? do you guys know if the professors are going to send us their slides online or download through on their websites or sthg? i just dont feel like paying for slides i will barely use ....or i could print them up myself at school if need to.

do we need to buy those powerpoint slides packets? can we choose to buy certain course packets but not others? do you guys know if the professors are going to send us their slides online or download through on their websites or sthg? i just dont feel like paying for slides i will barely use ....or i could print them up myself at school if need to.
No, they'll only any post any extra slides that they've added since the packet went to the printers, or other stuff that's not in the packets. It's only like $60-$80 a semester, and you will use them. They're what you'll take your notes on.

p2's: any suggestions on the best service learning choices? kids, adults, elderly, clinics?

also, dumb question, but i am guessing that course packets are a MUST. (money's tight so just making sure!)

lastely, how about parking? i will be commuting so i was wondering if i should wait and get parking at orientation, or go through a private lot/garage by myself.

thanks in advance.

thanks in advance.

The course packets are a MUST. I know the money issue, so maybe you can make a copy from your friend if you want to save a couple of bucks. They are the lecture notes so you will need them for SURE!!

We can't say which site is better since we haven't been to other sites. In my opinion, tutoring (adults) is generally easier since you don't need to prepare for anything and time also goes by fast.

"p2's: any suggestions on the best service learning choices? kids, adults, elderly, clinics?"

It really depends on what you want. Salvation Army and PACE are with in walking distance. Abbey's House was a bust this past year and the clinics go really really fast. I did pace (adult tutoring- for esl and ged track) and I enjoyed it. But a lot of it is the type of people you like to work with.

"also, dumb question, but i am guessing that course packets are a MUST. (money's tight so just making sure!)"

Yes- you should buy all the coruse packets- they are the powerpoint slides the professors lecture from and there is not enough time to write everything down on your own and they basically assume that everyone has one.

"lastely, how about parking? i will be commuting so i was wondering if i should wait and get parking at orientation, or go through a private lot/garage by myself."

The school offers pretty cheap parking. For on-campus, get it through the school. For commuters its about the same either way since you don't need over night parking. I know that the hospital parking gives you a three hour parking pass when you go to the gym (our gym membership is to the one in the hospital). But either way you will half to walk a couple of blocks from the garages and they are all about the same distances apart.

thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are big helps =)

hey....whats up......can someone please shed some light on this "award letter" thats been mentioned a couple of times.

thanks... jd

I was just wondering if any current students can tell us what to brush up on before school starts. Would going over orgo 1, biochem, or human phys from undergrad be helpful? If so, exactly what should we focus on? Thanks in advance!

I was just wondering if any current students can tell us what to brush up on before school starts. Would going over orgo 1, biochem, or human phys from undergrad be helpful? If so, exactly what should we focus on? Thanks in advance!

I always have been telling people that just relax and have fun before starting school, for you will have a plenty of time to study. However, as ending the first year, I think if you have a solid physio background, it would be very helpful. So if you have a spare time, study physio. Don't worry about other subjects. Biochem professor is extremely good/nice/helpful, so you just need to study what he lectures. You will need to brush up o-chem, but you don't need to do it right now since you will start taking med chem at the end of first year. So you will have a time to prepare later on.

Another thing is if you don't have any pharmacy experience, I strongly recommend all of you guys to get some since a lot of people had a hard time (some students even failed) in PPP lab(professional pharmacy practice) in summer semester.

I always have been telling people that just relax and have fun before starting school, for you will have a plenty of time to study. However, as ending the first year, I think if you have a solid physio background, it would be very helpful. So if you have a spare time, study physio. Don't worry about other subjects. Biochem professor is extremely good/nice/helpful, so you just need to study what he lectures. You will need to brush up o-chem, but you don't need to do it right now since you will start taking med chem at the end of first year. So you will have a time to prepare later on.

Another thing is if you don't have any pharmacy experience, I strongly recommend all of you guys to get some since a lot of people had a hard time (some students even failed) in professional pharmacy practice lab in summer semester.

Thanks for the insight, but this begs the question...What exactly do you do in pharmacy practice lab? I have retail experience but just curious.

In PPP lab you play the role of the pharmacist at a 'retail' pharmacy. You have to check for interventions and such. The lab itself is not that hard and if you have previous experience you should be okay. Where people had problems was with the grading scale. On some things it was very vary easy to lose points if you weren't careful (ie-missing a pt allergy would lead to a 0 for the Rx and missing a law issue (refills, labeling capsules instead of capsules) lead to a 25 out of 100 point deduction). I've had seven years of experience and its just easy to miss something if you're not careful or have any bad habits.

do we have to buy a drug facts & comparison for lab? i heard in certain schools you do...

you will have to buy one for lab. I'd wait until December (at the earliest) or April to buy your copy. Plus the school will give you a form so that you can get it for $100 instead of the usual $400.

you will have to buy one for lab. I'd wait until December (at the earliest) or April to buy your copy. Plus the school will give you a form so that you can get it for $100 instead of the usual $400.

is the $100 including updates?

is it possible to use an outdated one? ie: a copy from a former students.??

have you guys called your future roommates yet??

I haven't yet, I should do that soon =)

haha.. YOU should do that too!! lol...

my roomates have the dorm phone # tho.. i called yesterday and today and no one picked up.. tmr and tuesday will be last day of classes b4 finals for them.. such a bad time to call! but then afterwards, no one will be there...

haha.. YOU should do that too!! lol...

my roomates have the dorm phone # tho.. i called yesterday and today and no one picked up.. tmr and tuesday will be last day of classes b4 finals for them.. such a bad time to call! but then afterwards, no one will be there...

I know huh! I didn't realize some of them might be 2nd years =P

Hi, does any one know if we will finish the whole Concepts in Medical Physiology book in our first semester? Or do we use the same book for Physiology II?

you guys have a different book than we used, but we used both out patho and physiology book for both the fall and summer semesters. The biochem book also lasts two semsters

move-in day is getting closer.. what time are u all going to arrive? any plans to meet up that night before orientation? i'm wondering where we should go to "check in" when we first get there... coz we won't have our room keys nor parking permit yet

anyone know when our white coat ceremony is?

move-in day is getting closer.. what time are u all going to arrive? any plans to meet up that night before orientation? i'm wondering where we should go to "check in" when we first get there... coz we won't have our room keys nor parking permit yet

Hey! I think it's a great idea. But I have no idea what time I am going to arrive yet. I would just go there and start asking ppl, they should have signs?

did u guys buy the powerpoint set slides?? if so.. did u guys get it yet? i wonder when they'll ship it

did u guys buy the powerpoint set slides?? if so.. did u guys get it yet? i wonder when they'll ship it
I doubt they are shipping them. You will pick them up at orientation.

I doubt they are shipping them. You will pick them up at orientation.

o?? ic... coz i read that if we don't buy them quick, then we may not receive them in time for start of school.. so i thought they were shipping them..

o?? ic... coz i read that if we don't buy them quick, then we may not receive them in time for start of school.. so i thought they were shipping them..
No, they only print the number that people order...when I started, they would just print one for everyone in the class, but a lot of the P2 students were not buying the therapeutics packets, and the printer was losing money. So, they started taking orders. They see how many orders they get and then print that number. There are always people who forget and do it last minute, or maybe even the day that everyone else is picking their packets up, and then you have to wait a few more days for them to go back and print yours. So, if you wait too long to order, they might not have yours ready at orientation.

No, they only print the number that people order...when I started, they would just print one for everyone in the class, but a lot of the P2 students were not buying the therapeutics packets, and the printer was losing money. So, they started taking orders. They see how many orders they get and then print that number. There are always people who forget and do it last minute, or maybe even the day that everyone else is picking their packets up, and then you have to wait a few more days for them to go back and print yours. So, if you wait too long to order, they might not have yours ready at orientation.

o..ic... thanks! I was just waiting for them to see how big of a binder i needed to fit the class's slides in... I guess I'll have to wait further then

Hi guys!

I'm not part of the c/o 2010, but I'm applying to the next incoming class. I just have a quick question about sending the transcripts. Do the admissions committe want it in a complete packet or send them directly to their office?

I know the LORs they want them to be sent directly from the recommender..

Thanks a bunch!

I was wondering what is with the Intro to compass/proficiency exam? And the Block scheduling with testing? Is this like an english or math test to see what level you are at? Did you students who are there now have to do these?

Hello, good morning. I'm a new Pharmacy student at worcester. Is there a student book exchange? I was able to do alright for most of my textbooks except that Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients...It's soo expensive everywhere you look! Two hundred twenty five and change is the best I saw.

Also, is anyone else living at 507 Main St? (Park Plaza)

Dan

hey...if you want cheap books go to half.com....the books are like half price.....anyways, what is that exam about? what do they test? and what happens if you do bad on it?

Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients is only a recommended book. I would try the reserved library book or look up online sources before buying a 6lb. book that costs a fortune.

A/w, cant wait for the exam ..:rolleyes:

the exam is super easy! Its just basic English grammer and reading comprehension stuff. If you don't pass it, they just make you take an english class or something- no biggie and don't stress out about it. You guys all move in in what.. 16 days? you guys excited yet?
Astevens

the exam is super easy! Its just basic English grammer and reading comprehension stuff. If you don't pass it, they just make you take an english class or something- no biggie and don't stress out about it. You guys all move in in what.. 16 days? you guys excited yet?
Astevens

o.. great, that means we won't have to study or prepare or anything for the exam... i feel better. I can't believe we only got another 2 weeks of free time!

anyone know if there is any recommended studying to do before class starts, or are we good to start when school starts? Any recommendations?
thnks!

Last edited:

Last edited: