MCPHS-Worcester c/o 2010 thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey DrugRx or any current students, what's the actual dress code in class. I know you have to always wear you lab coat while in the building and I know some people like to bitch about the dress policy. Quite honestly, I don't really care, I mean it's nice to roll out of bed and toss on some shorts and sandals and stroll into class but I understand that you wouldn't do that at your job and that's essentially what this prepares you for.

I'm asking as a guy but I'm sure the incoming women are curious as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Be aware that this is a required course and there was a few students failed this course, so they had to repeat the whole year. It is extremely extremely extremely hard to fail this class. None in our class but few in previous class... So don't play a game but just go when you are supposed to go, do what you are asked to do and act professionally.
Someone in my class failed because they were assigned to a school (I don't know if it was elementary or middle or whatever), and they talked about how drunk they got the night before while they were at the site. Just be professional, use your common sense if you have it, and you'll be fine!

hmmm... on the course offering links, the service learning is only 50 minutes, 1 day a week... how is it possible to do any type of volunteerings in 50 minutes..... I'm wondering if we get to chose the time we want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey DrugRx or any current students, what's the actual dress code in class. I know you have to always wear you lab coat while in the building and I know some people like to bitch about the dress policy. Quite honestly, I don't really care, I mean it's nice to roll out of bed and toss on some shorts and sandals and stroll into class but I understand that you wouldn't do that at your job and that's essentially what this prepares you for.

I'm asking as a guy but I'm sure the incoming women are curious as well.

When i went to a pharmD transfer presentation a couple years back, they were saying that jeans weren't allowed. but for this past interview, they said that clean jeans were allowed... but no flip flops (which I understand, although that'll be nice!!)

I'm sure they have a different dress code for labs (no open toe shoes for safety??)

hmmm... on the course offering links, the service learning is only 50 minutes, 1 day a week... how is it possible to do any type of volunteerings in 50 minutes..... I'm wondering if we get to chose the time we want to go.
You meet for class for those 50 minutes each week and discuss various ways to be a more compassionate pharmacist, or to address cultural diversity, or to discuss the benefit of volunteering. You'll have articles to read and you'll discuss them. We met for 1.5 hours each week, actually. The actual volunteering is done on your own time.

When i went to a pharmD transfer presentation a couple years back, they were saying that jeans weren't allowed. but for this past interview, they said that clean jeans were allowed... but no flip flops (which I understand, although that'll be nice!!)

I'm sure they have a different dress code for labs (no open toe shoes for safety??)
Clean jeans are fine for class. They say no flip-flops, but this is not enforced for lecture. We have one girl whose skirt is always shorter than her lab coat. So, for regular lectures, you can get away with anything. For lab and formal presentations, you must dress professionally, which also excludes all open-toed shoes (just like most work environments) and shorts. The guys have to wear ties on those days.

Hey i was just wondering if anyone knew when we would get all our info on what classes we are/can take, how to set up an email account, when to move in, and all the other new student stuff. Thanks in advance for the help.

have you guys gotten your final bill for fall 07 yet?? i don't know how we are suppose to know how much to borrow if we don't have a finalized bill. The only thing they tell us is the estimated cost of attendance..

have you guys gotten your final bill for fall 07 yet?? i don't know how we are suppose to know how much to borrow if we don't have a finalized bill. The only thing they tell us is the estimated cost of attendance..

I was at the financial aid office at MCPHS-Boston yesterday and saw they were preparing financial statements and bills for incoming students. I asked them the same question and a lady who was working on the mails to be sent out answered that “ I am working on it and will send them out today, so you will get it soon.”

Hey guys, my name is Chris and I will be starting mcphs worcester this fall, i am currently looking for a roommate to live at either 600 main or bancroft, if any one is interested please email me asap at [email protected]
I am 23, just graduated from the university of texas, male, very outgoing and social, easy to get along with! If anyone is starting mcphs and could not get housing please contact me.

anyone know where the health insurance waiver form would be? On the link they provide you to sign your MPN for the loans, it says you should be able to do the waiver.. however, after you sign in... nowhere can you do that.

anyone know where the health insurance waiver form would be? On the link they provide you to sign your MPN for the loans, it says you should be able to do the waiver.. however, after you sign in... nowhere can you do that.

Very good question.. I second that question..I was about to ask the same thing. Anybody?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very good question.. I second that question..I was about to ask the same thing. Anybody?

I emailed student financial services and they said we are supposed to get a waiver form with our fall bill, which we should be receiving shortly, possibly this week.

they will also have extra forms at orientation in case you forget!

do we get our school email account during orientation too?

I was looking at the classes and was wondering about Intermediate Pharmacy Practice Experience, which is the start of your second year. Does the school assign you to a location or can you pick?

I just received my fall bill of $15,541 with the Student Health Waiver. Doesn't seem like my financial aid has kicked in yet? >.<
Is any one of you in the same situation?

I just received my fall bill of $15,541 with the Student Health Waiver. Doesn't seem like my financial aid has kicked in yet? >.<
Is any one of you in the same situation?

wow.. that's a lot.. u might wanna give the financial aid a call. I haven't received mine yet.

I received my bill today and my financial aid had kicked in. Have you signed your MPN for loans yet? They may not be able to apply the loans to your account until that has been signed. Good luck!

I received my bill today and my financial aid had kicked in. Have you signed your MPN for loans yet? They may not be able to apply the loans to your account until that has been signed. Good luck!

I received mine yesterday also. The Financial aid was applied to the bill. You can go to the Electronic Financial aid office and check the status of your loans if you register. This might seem strange, but once on the site, click on "MPN and Entrance Counseling", then click on " Entrance Counseling and MPN", then register yourself with a username and passcode. Once this is done you can see your loans in your account.

I also received my bill today. I still have to pay $5500 by august first and am unsure how I'am going to pay that and my food for the year. I do have about 8k in the bank, but am going to find some other loans out there that are reasonable.

If any of you owe about the same after loans from the Government kicked in what are you going to do? Are you taking out other loans and with who?

If any of you owe about the same after loans from the Government kicked in what are you going to do? Are you taking out other loans and with who?

I am in the same boat as you. I will most likely use the Sallie Mae private student loan to make up the difference. I have another account I can take money from; kinda like you, but I figure I may need that in case of any emergencies.

I started a search for competitive private student loan rates. They all seem to be around the same; based off of prime.

If anyone knows of a great private student loan, please let me know. I figure I need to apply this week, if I am going to apply, to make it for August 1st. Thanks

I am in the same boat as you. I will most likely use the Sallie Mae private student loan to make up the difference. I have another account I can take money from; kinda like you, but I figure I may need that in case of any emergencies.

I started a search for competitive private student loan rates. They all seem to be around the same; based off of prime.

If anyone knows of a great private student loan, please let me know. I figure I need to apply this week, if I am going to apply, to make it for August 1st. Thanks

the pharmacistS i work with have suggested TERI loan because they are government-funded aid.. and the interest rates are lower than sallie mae.

has everyone submitted the health/immunization forms yet? i still have to get the shots taken..and at this time i don't have health insurance...also, do you guys know whether medifile has to receive our stuff by july 27th or does it have to be postmarked by that date?

I sent my forms in a few days ago. You have to take the meningicoccal vaccine (spelling?), but if you don't have insurance, it's close to $100.. and a lot of insurances don't cover for that either. In addition, they require you to have a chest xray once a year to confirm that you don't have TB, as well as MMR blood test to check that you are immune, else they require boosters.

I think they have to receive it by the 27th, altho i might be wrong.

has everyone submitted the health/immunization forms yet? i still have to get the shots taken..and at this time i don't have health insurance...also, do you guys know whether medifile has to receive our stuff by july 27th or does it have to be postmarked by that date?

I sent my forms in a few days ago. You have to take the meningicoccal vaccine (spelling?), but if you don't have insurance, it's close to $100.. and a lot of insurances don't cover for that either. In addition, they require you to have a chest xray once a year to confirm that you don't have TB, as well as MMR blood test to check that you are immune, else they require boosters.

I think they have to receive it by the 27th, altho i might be wrong.

The vaccine for Meningococcal Disease cost me at the local county office around $15. I had a blood test for chicken pox because Doctor had no record of me having it. I had no chest x-ray done and the health records place said that everything was fulfilled. I can't believe that it costs $100 for the vaccine if I paid $15. What a rip off. Also for TB, I believe they gave me an injection right under my skin on my arm and came back about 2-3 days later to examine it.

thanks for the info everyone...i was also planning on going to the county for the required shots..i think there's meningitis and TB...it says only if TB comes out as a positive result you have to submit a chest xray every year. I guess I should be able to get it all done within a week so I'll hopefully be able to send it in at least a week before the deadline!

Once you turn your records and sheets in, the company that inputs the results gets back to you in about a week with a little postcard that says either everything has been fulfilled or not. So if you turn in those records within the next couple of days then you should get a confirmation letter before the due date.

You have to take the meningicoccal vaccine (spelling?)...

I filled out the waiver form for the menningicoccal vaccine (spelling?) My doctor told me that there was no need for it because I am not living in the dorms. That is OK according to Mass law, right?

They told me they just sent out my award letter, and I just finished signing the loan online. I hope everything will be ok! Thanks for everything guys!

does anyone know when we'll get our fall book list?

I was wondering the same thing today. I tried calling the school but nobody picked up...I'll try again tomorrow. I hope we get it soon so we can buy the books online and save some $$!

Yeah, if anyone has the list of books needed for the class of 2010 please post it here. I'll try to call and see if I can get it also.

I wonder if we really need to buy the 'required' books.... any P2, which books don't we need?

which books are they requiring? Let me know and I'll tell you which ones I used. That might give you some help
Astevens

which books are they requiring? Let me know and I'll tell you which ones I used. That might give you some help
Astevens

the book that they require can be found on the link posted above, + we need "Clinical skills for pharmacists: a patient-focused approach" 2nd edition for Intro to pharmaceutical care I

also, can you tell us whether mcphs charges for printing in the computer labs/library?

I know some schools charge you 10 cents per page...... i'm reading the service learning sites... FUN.. :eek:

Hey DrugDealer,

Can you please give P1s some advices on ways of preparing for P2 courses? Summer semester is about to be done and we are going to start an intermediate rotation after vacation.

What would you do if you go back to a year before to make yourself more prepared? What/how should we study/do to do well for P2 courses especially for therapeutics?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Astevens

Do we need all of these or can we do without one or so?

Instructor:​
Dr. Kevin Kearney
Course #:
PSW 300

Title:​
Biochemistry I

This book is required:​
Author:​
Nelson & Cox
Title:
Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

ISBN: 0-7167-4339-6
Edition: 4​
th, 2005
Publisher: Freeman Publishing

The following book is RECOMMENDED​
Author: Marcy Osgood and Karen Ocorr
The Absolute, Ultimate Guide to Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry

ISBN: 0-7167-5955-1
th, 2005
Publisher: W.H. Freeman & Co

Instructors: Dr. Bertram Nicholas, Coordinator,​
Dr. P. Mididoddi
Course #:
PSW 314

Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics, Pharmacokinetics I

Stoklosa and Ansel
Title:
Pharmaceutical Calculations

ISBN: 0-7817-6265-0
Edition: 12​
th Edition
Publisher: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins

The following books are RECOMMENDED​
Loyd V. Allen, Nicholas G. Popovich, Howard C. Ansel
Title:
Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms and Drug Delivery Systems

ISBN: 0-7817-4612-4
Edition: 8​
th Edition
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins

Alfred Martin, Pilar Bustamante, A.H.C. Chun.
Title:
Physical Pharmacy

ISBN: 0812114388
Edition: 4
Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins​
Raymond C Rowe, Paul J Sheskey, Paul J Weller
Title:
Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients

ISBN: 1 58212 022 6
Edition: 4
Publisher: Pharmaceutical Press​

Instructor:​
Dr. Carroll-Ann Goldsmith
Course #:
PSW 320

Human Physiology & Pathophysiology I

Seifter, Ratner, Sloane
Title:
Concepts in Medical Physiology

ISBN-13: 978-0781744898
Edition: 5​
th, 2004
Publisher: Thomson Learning

The following book is RECOMMENDED:​
Author​
: Porth, Carol Mattson
Title:
Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States

ISBN: 0-7817-4988-3
Edition: 7​
th, 2004
Publisher: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins

Instructor​
: Dr. Monina Lahoz
Course #:
PSW 340

U.S. Health Care and Public Health Systems

These books are required:​
Bodenheimer & Grumbach
Title:
Understanding Health Policy: A Clinical Approach

ISBN: 0-07-142311-7
th, 2005
Publisher: Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill

Schneider, Mary-Jane
Title:
Introduction to Public Health

ISBN: 0-7637-3000-9 (pbk)
Edition: 2​
nd, 2006
Publisher: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Inc.

NOTE:​
No book required for:

PSW 350 SERVICE LEARNING: A
Service Learning Journal is required and can be
purchased with course packets from
Don Hodes for Worcester students and Copy Express for
Manchester Students. There is information about the handouts and printers in this mailing.

PSW 360 PHARMACY LAW – No book required.