MCPHS-Worcester c/o 2010 thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah- there is a personality survey and a room request thing, but I think 6 persons are about all that is left. Also if you want to request a certain floor (4-8) or whatever you are welcome to do that too.
Just a couple of suggestions on the 6-persons. The L type apartments have a great living room, but very very small kitchens (and room D is huge! and rooms E and F are discounted because they are smaller), The straight 6 bedroom apartments have a bigger kitchen, and I think an extra closet in the entry way (all the rooms here are the same size).
Sorry If this confuses you- but the packets have diagrams of the apartments and I thought you might like some info that is a bit more practical than a blue print. If you guys have any questions about housing just let me know-
Hope every one is enjoying spring!
Astevens

Hi,

I just got the housing assignment. According to the packet, we have 4 apartment styles left, are the bedrooms that are normal rate abt the same size? meaning a 2person and a 6-person (regular) unit bedrooms abt the same size? it doesn't look like it from the drawings. we have 2-typeB, 3typeA, 6 type B, and 6 type A left.. what would you personally suggest?

also, on the housing contract, there are 4 sections we have to answer, but nowhere on the form does it let us list out our housing choices 1,2,3, any ideas??

also, what would be a difference between 4th floor and 8th floor?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just got the housing assignment. According to the packet, we have 4 apartment styles left, are the bedrooms that are normal rate abt the same size? meaning a 2person and a 6-person (regular) unit bedrooms abt the same size? it doesn't look like it from the drawings. we have 2-typeB, 3typeA, 6 type B, and 6 type A left.. what would you personally suggest?

also, on the housing contract, there are 4 sections we have to answer, but nowhere on the form does it let us list out our housing choices 1,2,3, any ideas??

also, what would be a difference between 4th floor and 8th floor?

Ok- so there is 1 2typeB apartment (which is tiny!- no living room), and 2 rooms in the three bedroom apartment (both women spots), and then 6 bedrooms. (I'm friends with the RD so she told me what was left) Personally- I would suggest 6 person type B room D and overnighting your housing packet to ensure you get it- that is a huge room compared to the rest! Everything else is basically the same size regardless of the type. If you do get a 6 person though, I would suggest getting a small fridge because sharing one fridge with 5 other people can be a challenge sometimes.

Ok- on the contract there is a box of some sort and you just write in your choices somewhere in the box (and obviously state which is first choice, 2nd, etc). Also- as far as floor type, its not that much different- I live on 8 because I don't like having to hear people above me, but other people like living on four or five because its less of an elevator ride- All the floors are nice though so I wouldn't sweat it.
Astevens

Ok- so there is 1 2typeB apartment (which is tiny!- no living room), and 2 rooms in the three bedroom apartment (both women spots), and then 6 bedrooms. (I'm friends with the RD so she told me what was left) Personally- I would suggest 6 person type B room D and overnighting your housing packet to ensure you get it- that is a huge room compared to the rest! Everything else is basically the same size regardless of the type. If you do get a 6 person though, I would suggest getting a small fridge because sharing one fridge with 5 other people can be a challenge sometimes.

Ok- on the contract there is a box of some sort and you just write in your choices somewhere in the box (and obviously state which is first choice, 2nd, etc). Also- as far as floor type, its not that much different- I live on 8 because I don't like having to hear people above me, but other people like living on four or five because its less of an elevator ride- All the floors are nice though so I wouldn't sweat it.
Astevens

is the 2typeB apartment, are the bedrooms as big as the other apartment types? or are the bedrooms small as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the rooms is regular size and the other is smaller with a twin bed. But these apartments have no living room (just a kitchen and a small table), and they are right outside the elevators, so from what I have heard they are not that sound proof, but they are two bedrooms- so you just have to weigh your options

One of the rooms is regular size and the other is smaller with a twin bed. But these apartments have no living room (just a kitchen and a small table), and they are right outside the elevators, so from what I have heard they are not that sound proof, but they are two bedrooms- so you just have to weigh your options

so, if the 2-person is still available, and you get to be the first come,first served one, does the RD automatically assign you to the bigger bedroom of the two?

sorry I have so many questions :p

how small are the reduced rate bedrooms?

What did you guys put down for question 1. when it asked for select housing option? I put down single thinking that I want my own room? Also, does anyone know how much parking for a year costs too?

I put down single too...hell, I even request specific rooms like A, B, C, etc. I wasn't sure if we were supposed to do that but I figured it can't hurt. Some rooms were bigger than others or farther away from the living room or kitchen area so I tried to ask for one of those. Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from them as to whether or not we got housing and what room?

:cool: Hi Everyone, I'll be there this Fall. For current students, what are the students like at Worcester? What is the avg. age? What is the major ethnic group (not that it matters but just out of curiosity)? I'm Asian-American and 23 yrs old... Does anyone else mind sharing?? :D

20.....east indian...

Do you guys know which of the 4 apartments hassingle rooms? Or each of them has single or double? I am so confused. How are the singles and doubles different in price? Also, is 6-person type A and room E and F from 6 person type B all considered Reduced-Rate that costs $6900/yr? Thank you!

Do you guys know which of the 4 apartments hassingle rooms? Or each of them has single or double? I am so confused. How are the singles and doubles different in price? Also, is 6-person type A and room E and F from 6 person type B all considered Reduced-Rate that costs $6900/yr? Thank you!

ha? I think everyone has their own bedrooms, this is written on one of the pages they sent you. Then, the Room E and F have twin beds, so they are discounted (smaller bedrooms) and they have * next to them. The ones that don't have a * are normal prices.

and to answer DaoPharm, I'm 23 Asian

ha? I think everyone has their own bedrooms, this is written on one of the pages they sent you. Then, the Room E and F have twin beds, so they are discounted (smaller bedrooms) and they have * next to them. The ones that don't have a * are normal prices.

and to answer DaoPharm, I'm 23 Asian

Sorry for confusing you. I might not receive that extra page. Thanks though!

Members don't see this ad :)
24.. italian american.. female.. nyc :) cant wait to meet everyone!

yea me too.....o yea btw where is everyone from??.....im from Toronto (canada):D

22 yrs old, male, pure Italian :horns:

I’m Italian-American as well, 23 year-old male…haha, any of you who plan to live on campus know how to make a good sauce?

For any current students…I’m shopping around for a new laptop and was wondering how often you need a computer for anything class-related? I currently have a Dell Inspiron and even though five years ago it was top of the line, it now is ready to shat the bed at any given moment. I mean it runs okay but I need a new one anyways and definitely prefer a laptop. Also, for any tech-geeks out there I wouldn’t mind hearing opinions on what type of laptop to buy…thanks.

anyone hear anything from housing?.....i called and im living in a 6 person type A....anyone else living in the same?

I’m Italian-American as well, 23 year-old male…haha, any of you who plan to live on campus know how to make a good sauce?

For any current students…I’m shopping around for a new laptop and was wondering how often you need a computer for anything class-related? I currently have a Dell Inspiron and even though five years ago it was top of the line, it now is ready to shat the bed at any given moment. I mean it runs okay but I need a new one anyways and definitely prefer a laptop. Also, for any tech-geeks out there I wouldn’t mind hearing opinions on what type of laptop to buy…thanks.

I think it all depends what you plan to do. I think a laptop that can withstand browsing online with more than 3 windows open without lagging is not bad... I think most of what you would need to do is go online and look up medical sources or check your emails. I would say, go with Acer if your budget is tight, they are not as bad... However, if you plan on playing games or doing a lot of video-related stuff such as YouTube or anything like that, need one with better video cards.....

that's just my opinion.

Yo Nightcrawler,

A'lora, adesso ti dico che faccio una salsa incredibile!

Anyone else think I can't make an incredible sauce after that comment?? :D

Apresto,
-PmP

Also, for any tech-geeks out there I wouldn’t mind hearing opinions on what type of laptop to buy…thanks.
I'm on my second Sony Vaio laptop...so I'm a big fan of the Sony. The slightly higher price-point ones are really thin and light, but they are still big enough to type on easily and have great screen real-estate. I haven't had a desktop for years...I use my sexy Sony for everything and often have 7-8 windows open. I use it all the time for school--I'm the type of person that likes to type up all sorts of lists and I make soooo many drug charts!!

Drugdealer what year are u again? I think I'm also going to buy a laptop too, sony has some good ones.

I am going to be 23, aisan female =D

Yo Nightcrawler,

A'lora, adesso ti dico che faccio una salsa incredibile!

Anyone else think I can't make an incredible sauce after that comment?? :D

Apresto,
-PmP

Friggin awesome...that's all I have to say about that.

I'm on my second Sony Vaio laptop...so I'm a big fan of the Sony. The slightly higher price-point ones are really thin and light, but they are still big enough to type on easily and have great screen real-estate. I haven't had a desktop for years...I use my sexy Sony for everything and often have 7-8 windows open. I use it all the time for school--I'm the type of person that likes to type up all sorts of lists and I make soooo many drug charts!!

DrugDealer and greatdeals, thanks for the opinions. Price isn't too much of a concern only because more often than not, you get what you pay for and I want something reliable. I was figuring somewhere around $1500, including warranties. I love the Sony's...I've already checked a few out at BestBuy but I just feel you overpay a little because of the name. I found a Toshiba I like alot but I've never had one and don't know much about them. And of course, for the price, Dell is always an option I suppose. Anyways, I'll figure it out eventually and I appreciate the response, any other comments are welcome.

DrugDealer and greatdeals, thanks for the opinions. Price isn't too much of a concern only because more often than not, you get what you pay for and I want something reliable. I was figuring somewhere around $1500, including warranties. I love the Sony's...I've already checked a few out at BestBuy but I just feel you overpay a little because of the name. I found a Toshiba I like alot but I've never had one and don't know much about them. And of course, for the price, Dell is always an option I suppose. Anyways, I'll figure it out eventually and I appreciate the response, any other comments are welcome.

yea.. look it up, we all have personal preferences when it comes to brands... I personally have used my HP Pavilion for over 2 years now without a problem, and i'll be keeping it throughout pharm school if this little baby agrees with me :D

If you think that Sony might be a little over priced.. haha.. wait for Memorial or July 4th sales then!!... sometimes you can find great deals online.. with rebates and everything, you can save a couple hundred....

i have a toshiba satellite laptop and i absolutely love it.. i have no problems with it and i think it was named one of the best laptops by PCMag a while ago.. i have only good things to say about mine..
on another note did everyone hand in the housing applications? i've been stewing on mine for a while and i'm nervous that all the rooms are going to be taken..

I sent mine in two days ago. They only have 4 different layouts available. I tried to get the three bedroom one.

i have a toshiba satellite laptop and i absolutely love it.. i have no problems with it and i think it was named one of the best laptops by PCMag a while ago.. i have only good things to say about mine..
on another note did everyone hand in the housing applications? i've been stewing on mine for a while and i'm nervous that all the rooms are going to be taken..

The Toshiba I'm looking at is actually a satellite and I beginning to like it more and more based on its features and the price.

As for housing...I sent mine in as soon as I got the forms in the mail just to be sure I got a room because I was set on living on-campus for P1 at least. I would call Mrs. Palumbo, the Resident Director to see what's available. I emailed her a while ago about housing and called her a few days ago just to make sure they received my forms and she was really helpful each time.

As for housing...I sent mine in as soon as I got the forms in the mail just to be sure I got a room because I was set on living on-campus for P1 at least. I would call Mrs. Palumbo, the Resident Director to see what's available. I emailed her a while ago about housing and called her a few days ago just to make sure they received my forms and she was really helpful each time.

Hey Just a heads up- Susan Palumbo is like 22 and is gonna be a P-1 next year too- so you'll meet her eventually. She's super nice, but definelty not a "Mrs" :laugh: Also- I think all that's left is six bedrooms
Astevens

Haha, you know I thought of that while typing that post and when I had to contact her about housing. I just naturally assumed she was older and figured I’d address her as a Mrs. rather than her first name. I guess we all know what happens when you assume. Anyways, tell “Mrs. Palumbo” I apologize for getting that wrong (unless she visits this site herself) and next time I have to call I’ll be sure to address her as Susan, haha, hey either way she was really helpful.

I was wondering how the resident director can be a student? I'm not saying she should not be but how did this happen?

she's not a student this year, she will be starting next year as a student and the school will be hiring a new resident director. She might still be involved in res life- but she won't be doing both. I can't imagine doing that much work :confused: You guys enjoy your free time while you can!!

when are you guyz moving in??....i was thinking 3rd week of august if i can

they have an offical move in day for everyone. I think we moved in the day before orientation started- they'll send you all of the information in june or july.
Astevens

Does anyone know if the school provides anti-virus software for computers? The last school that I attended had their own software that was required on everyones computer. I' am about to buy a dell laptop and was wondering whether I needed a 3 yr service.

I still haven't received my financial aid package.. I think I should give them a call pretty soon lol.... i wonder if we get less aid because we turn in our application at a later date, although still making the deadline...

u guyz know were in the apartments you are living?.....im living at 805E in the 6 person type A.....im guessing 805 is the apt number....is anyone in the same?

How long did it take to get back your room assignment after you sent in your forms?

Astevens,

what do you mean freetime? You mean that when I get to MCPHS that I actually have to study? Just kidding. I will enjoy my time at the pharmacy until school starts. Can't wait to learn!!

hey kapz- I'm on 8 as well just down the hall. From what I hear there are supposed to be some pretty cool people in you room- and I think you are the only male room on the floor except for a studio. Also- the guys in 805 right now aren't the cleanest (not horrible though) and while maintenance cleans the apartments before you move in- you might want to make sure you have cleaning supplies on move in day.

hey kapz- I'm on 8 as well just down the hall. From what I hear there are supposed to be some pretty cool people in you room- and I think you are the only male room on the floor except for a studio. Also- the guys in 805 right now aren't the cleanest (not horrible though) and while maintenance cleans the apartments before you move in- you might want to make sure you have cleaning supplies on move in day.

When they say that the apart has a furnished kitchen, do we still bring in our pots and pans and small appliances? or does MCPW provide?

I can't think of anything else I would want to bring in... any suggestions from anyone who's already student there?

lol...how unclean are they?....im a real clean person so thats gonna suck a little....but im not anal about it so guess it doesnt matter that much.....im pretty stoked about moving in now:)

Has anyone received how much tuition will be for first year students yet? How much?

Has anyone received how much tuition will be for first year students yet? How much?

I got an approximate cost of attendance if $51,741 for the year according to my award letter. My award letter is totally ridiculous. Both of my parents combined make less a year than the cost of attendance for 1 year, and I'm not making much either as a part timer.... and no financial aid whatsoever, just loans.... i'll have to give them a call on monday.

I got an approximate cost of attendance if $51,741 for the year according to my award letter. My award letter is totally ridiculous. Both of my parents combined make less a year than the cost of attendance for 1 year, and I'm not making much either as a part timer.... and no financial aid whatsoever, just loans.... i'll have to give them a call on monday.

I'm not 100% sure but from my understanding it isn't very common to get anything but loans for a professional program. Scholarships are the same, while I'm sure they may be out there, they're much harder to get compared to undergrad. Don't feel bad, my aid is almost completely loans as well...it sucks but at least we should be making fairly good money out of school, that's just the way it goes.

I also don't think it will cost $51,000 for the year. That's what they assume it will cost you. On top of the $33,000 tuition you will need housing. I think on-campus 6-rooms are about $8,000. Then books, parking, all the other stupid fees colleges charge, etc. I would bet the $51,000 in aid will leave you with a few thousand left over but then again who knows.

Payin off these loans will def be a pain in the ass but I'm just gonna take one step at a time. I can't do anything about it so I'll worry about it after I get out...but you should call MCP anyways, it's worth a try...good luck.

I'm not 100% sure but from my understanding it isn't very common to get anything but loans for a professional program. Scholarships are the same, while I'm sure they may be out there, they're much harder to get compared to undergrad. Don't feel bad, my aid is almost completely loans as well...it sucks but at least we should be making fairly good money out of school, that's just the way it goes.

I also don't think it will cost $51,000 for the year. That's what they assume it will cost you. On top of the $33,000 tuition you will need housing. I think on-campus 6-rooms are about $8,000. Then books, parking, all the other stupid fees colleges charge, etc. I would bet the $51,000 in aid will leave you with a few thousand left over but then again who knows.

Payin off these loans will def be a pain in the ass but I'm just gonna take one step at a time. I can't do anything about it so I'll worry about it after I get out...but you should call MCP anyways, it's worth a try...good luck.

Thanks... I feel much better now.. I just thought that I should be getting more aid since my income is not much and neither are my parents, just like I used to as an undergrad, but since u've said that they should most likely be loans.. I feel better.. not that I'm happy to take that much loan out.

I'm going to give them a call anyways.

Anyone know the lowest interest/deal for private loans? my pharmacy manager referred me to the TERI loan... she said that it was the best.. as far as she knows. Anyone else?

I wonder when we will be getting our class schedules..... has everyone turned in their health forms yet??