MCPHS-Worcester c/o 2010 thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I'm going to turn mine in next month. I think it is due by July. I don't think we get our class schedules until June.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'm going to turn mine in next month. I think it is due by July. I don't think we get our class schedules until June.

I am P1. It's been a while so not sure when I got the class schedule. However, I think the schedule will be available on the orientation; they will give you a big packet, which contains various information and I think class schedule was one of them. You guys will be provided with exam schedule as well. There are a lot of exams per week on the first semester, so be prepared~ Don't get behind!!

I am P1. It's been a while so not sure when I got the class schedule. However, I think the schedule will be available on the orientation; they will give you a big packet, which contains various information and I think class schedule was one of them. You guys will be provided with exam schedule as well. There are a lot of exams per week on the first semester, so be prepared~ Don't get behind!!

are the professors good with sticking to your exam schedules? i have had instances where professors reschedule the exam because he fell behind on his teaching or any other factor....

Members don't see this ad :)
are the professors good with sticking to your exam schedules? i have had instances where professors reschedule the exam because he fell behind on his teaching or any other factor....

I think it is a school policy that professors can't just change the exam date unless majority of students request with a valid reason. Everyone including professor MUST agree with the new date, and professors have to see dean to confirm the date. So most likely, once the exam schedule is out, it is done deal. Most of professors are pretty good at keeping up their schedules, so you won't have any problems of planning ahead.

This is a week of final and just done with Biochem II/Nutrition. It wasn't bad at all but I studied a lot more than I should have done... Anyways, 4 more to go but I am already tired.

Wish me a luck~

First off, good luck on finals DrugRx...All this talk about exams makes me wonder if any current students at Worcester remember when their first wave of exams were in the fall of P1. I ask only because my sister is getting married on Sept. 15 and that may be a bad weekend if we already have tests the following Monday...it wouldn't really surprise me if we did, I mean I've had undergrad classes with exams after two weeks. Anyways, just wondering, I can't do anything about it obviously and at least the ride home for me isn't all that long.

I think our first exam was week 3 (maybe four), but once they started we had at least one- if not two a week for the rest of the semester. So I'd just suggest try not to get behind-
off to study
Astevens

Hey guys,

There are no rooms left from what I heard from sue in housing. I have been looking at some apartments near school. Like a 4 minute walk if that. For a 2 bedroom with utilities and including internet is around 450 a month, cheaper than school apartments. I was wondering if anyone is interested in getting a roommate. Or, if 2 other people are interested I have seen some 3 bedrooms for 900. So with utilities maybe 400 a piece. I got a car, pots, dishes, silverware, car, couch, dining table, tv, xbox 360 etc. I live an hour from Worcester by the way so I know the surrounding area.

Little info about me: 26 yrs old, male, Portuguese (if it matters). PM me if anyone is interested.

For a 2 bedroom with utilities and including internet is around 450 a month, cheaper than school apartments. I was wondering if anyone is interested in getting a roommate. Or, if 2 other people are interested I have seen some 3 bedrooms for 900. So with utilities maybe 400 a piece. I got a car, pots, dishes, silverware, car, couch, dining table, tv, xbox 360 etc. I live an hour from Worcester by the way so I know the surrounding area.
Maybe you already know this if you're from the area, but anything that costs $450 in downtown Worcester is going to be totally ghetto and you will have crackheads and prostitutes living in that same building. There is decent stuff in walking distance from school, but that starts at around $1000. The 3 bed for $900 might be ok, but you would definitely have to check out the block at night for an accurate feel.

I think our first exam was week 3 (maybe four), but once they started we had at least one- if not two a week for the rest of the semester. So I'd just suggest try not to get behind-
off to study
Astevens
Yeah, first year the first exam is like the 3rd Friday, then it's go-go-go from there. Second year, first exam is on the 2nd Friday, next one is on that Monday, and then it keeps repeating--every other Friday and the following Monday.

Yeah, first year the first exam is like the 3rd Friday, then it's go-go-go from there. Second year, first exam is on the 2nd Friday, next one is on that Monday, and then it keeps repeating--every other Friday and the following Monday.

I see my weekends will be highly eventful. :D

::BRACING MYSELF FOR IMPACT::

How was therapeutics final? Our finals are not bad at all so far. Kinetics were a lot easier than I thought although k-type questions were still confusing. 3 more to go!! YEAH~

Yea I was there during the day. The building I saw was in the financial district and wasn't that bad actually. There are the Bancroft apartments also. But that is $1000.00 for a 2 bedroom I think. It's a pain in the ass to try and find a place on my own. A roommate would definitely work but hard to find one right now.

Hi: I have got accepted to MCPHS and I have to pay the deposit till mid may.I already put the deposit($1000) for Pacific University in Oregon, and I am waitlisted in USN(my number one choice).I really need your advice. I don't know what to do at this point????????Should I pay the deposit again???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi: I have got accepted to MCPHS and I have to pay the deposit till mid may.I already put the deposit($1000) for Pacific University in Oregon, and I am waitlisted in USN(my number one choice).I really need your advice. I don't know what to do at this point????????Should I pay the deposit again???

it depends. if USN rejects you, which school would u rather go to? PU or MCPHS? u can also call USN and find out where you are at on the waiting list and see whether u got a chance to get in... I'd say, $750 is nothing when you compare it to $40K tuition a year !! :laugh:

Good Luck with ur decision! :luck:

That's true, If i don't get accepted to USN, I am not sure which one of these schools is better choice.Pu is a new school, and I dont know much about MCPHS.I just noticed from another thread that people are rejecting UCSF offer and will attend this school!!!!!!!!Is this school really that good?

it depends. if USN rejects you, which school would u rather go to? PU or MCPHS? u can also call USN and find out where you are at on the waiting list and see whether u got a chance to get in... I'd say, $750 is nothing when you compare it to $40K tuition a year !! :laugh:

Good Luck with ur decision! :luck:

Good luck on ur exams Asteven and DrugRX!! I am done with my midterms and presentation. ^_^

How was therapeutics final? Our finals are not bad at all so far. Kinetics were a lot easier than I thought although k-type questions were still confusing. 3 more to go!! YEAH~
Therapeutics was fine, it was just like any of our other tests. It wasn't cumulative, and the class does get better as you go along and have more of a pharmacology background to apply to it. In the beginning, we were just memorizing that we used X drug to treat Y disease because we didn't know anything about that drug yet. Anyway, med chem/pharmacology and physical assessment were cumulative, though. I actually liked that pharmacology covered the whole semester, because it forced me to go back to those very early topics, which now make more sense and I can incorporate them with other stuff we've learned to form that big picture.

Therapeutics was fine, it was just like any of our other tests. It wasn't cumulative, and the class does get better as you go along and have more of a pharmacology background to apply to it. In the beginning, we were just memorizing that we used X drug to treat Y disease because we didn't know anything about that drug yet. Anyway, med chem/pharmacology and physical assessment were cumulative, though. I actually liked that pharmacology covered the whole semester, because it forced me to go back to those very early topics, which now make more sense and I can incorporate them with other stuff we've learned to form that big picture.

first post! dealer, since you seem to be a student, any advice for all of us upcoming new students on our last couple months of freedom? subjects to review? study? dont study?

just got my housing assignment! got 5th floor! (although I would take any floor lol)

I have been waiting sometime to get my housing assignment. All I know is that they have deposited my check so I'am going to assume that I did get a spot. I guess I'll call the RD tomorrow.

Anyone have any advice on what we should bring to the dorms.. I mean, not daily essential items.. but anything that you have been missing and wished you had known to bring/buy it when you first moved in ??

Anyone know what the largest-size (i.e. 1.7cu/ft, 2.7 cu/ft, etc.) of mini-fridge is allowed in the apartments? Thanks in advance.

Greatdeals,

what housing type are you in? I got mine back on Saturday and am on the 8th floor.

Greatdeals,

what housing type are you in? I got mine back on Saturday and am on the 8th floor.

i live in a 3-ppl apart on the 5th floor.. you? i'm wondering what things i should bring in to the dorms.. other than clothes and what to write with... lol

i live in a 3-ppl apart on the 5th floor.. you? i'm wondering what things i should bring in to the dorms.. other than clothes and what to write with... lol

I'll be on the 8th floor in a six room appartment.

have u called ur future roomies yet?

I have tried to call one of them, but no answer. What about you?

Does anyone who got accepted want to share their stats??? I want to apply there next year and I did call the school and they told me that the average GPA of this year's accpeted class was 3.4. Is your GPA a lot higher than that? When did u apply?

since they dont require pcat, do u have to have a bachelors, did any1 get in without a bachelors??...and what are ur extracuriculars, that will be soo helpful thank youuuuuuuu :).....

Does anyone who got accepted want to share their stats??? I want to apply there next year and I did call the school and they told me that the average GPA of this year's accpeted class was 3.4. Is your GPA a lot higher than that? When did u apply?

My stats:

Overall Cumulative GPA: 3.8
Science & Math GPA: 3.75
Pre-pharm GPA: 3.75
Non-science GPA: 3.9

B.S. Biotechnology
B.A. Chemistry
Kean State University of NJ

Graduated Magna Cum Laude
Phi Kappa Phi (National L.A. Honors Society)
Beta Beta Beta (National Biological Honors Society)
Lambda Alpha Sigma (University Honors Society)

2 Years Corporate Executive Biopharmaceutical Company
1 Year Private Industry Research
Publications in Molecular Biology discipline
Many other EC's - clubs, organizations, committees, etc.

*Note: Zero actual pharmacy setting work experience.

I have tried to call one of them, but no answer. What about you?

I haven't called mine yet. The # they gave me was the dorm's phone #, so my guess is they are P2s.... both of them in the same room.. they must already be all settled haha.... i don't know when to call them, I don't want to interfere with exams and stuff.....

they said that the move-in day is wednesday august 28th, so does that mean we can move in any day from wednesday til the start of classes? hmm... it's first time i'm gonna live in dorms... i think i'll get lost trying to register, check in, get keys, and all that stuff.. lol

I just got an email to sign up if you want a parking permit from the garage next to the school..... pick it up during move-in day.... did u guys check ur emails?

I just got an email to sign up if you want a parking permit from the garage next to the school..... pick it up during move-in day.... did u guys check ur emails?

Hey, thanks for the post...I got the same email, in fact I got two because I never responded to the first one. I must have given them an old email address somewhere along the line and I seldom ever check it anymore and it won't allow me to auto-forward to my current address. I definitely wouldn't have known that they even contacted me.

Anyways, I emailed them back asking for a spot in the garage, hope it's not too late becasue one email that was sent yesterday stated they needed to know by the end of the day.

Hey, thanks for the post...I got the same email, in fact I got two because I never responded to the first one. I must have given them an old email address somewhere along the line and I seldom ever check it anymore and it won't allow me to auto-forward to my current address. I definitely wouldn't have known that they even contacted me.

Anyways, I emailed them back asking for a spot in the garage, hope it's not too late becasue one email that was sent yesterday stated they needed to know by the end of the day.

yea, she sent me an email asking for an answer by end of wednesday, i emailed her around midnight lol.... but it was still ok for thursday. It was so weird, she was meaning as if someone already had contacted us for a spot and we were the 'leftovers' that haven't responded lol

I never received any parking invitations via e-mail yet. Has anyone received any info about classes yet? I think my first year I will not take my car to school and leave it back in GA. I was told that we did not need one fore the first year.

Hey whats up everyone, first post here. I got waitlisted from housing but i eventually got in........705B in a 6 person. A little about me....im 23, irish, born in western mass.....i graduated UMass-Amherst with a BS in Kinesiology. not much pharm experience, i started workin at walgreens in december....before that i was a personal trainer so im pretty intrested in this free gym MCP speaks of......anyway if anyone wants to talk hit me up my aim is JDski316 and my email is [email protected] look forward to meetin everyone.......John D

Hey guys...I am applying to worcester this year can u guys give me ur stats or advice to make my app more competitive....I have low GPA:(

Hey guys...I am applying to worcester this year can u guys give me ur stats or advice to make my app more competitive....I have low GPA:(

what is considered a low GPA to you might not be to me or the committee.... but you definitely need tech experience, and being certified is an extra + in their eyes.

Hi all. I just have a quick question.

What would be "pushing it" in regards to MCPHS's 500-word essay limit? +/- 50 words? +/- 100? I am just wondering because I'm having difficulty shaping my essay with their strict structure (using 500 words to explain three topics is pretty strict to me, haha). Anyways, please shed some light for me... thank you :oops:

My suggestion would be to work towards your Bachelor’s degree. While doing so you can try to improve your overall GPA and show improvement. It also gives you something to fall back on if pharmacy school doesn’t work out. It is becoming more and more common for schools to favor students holding a degree…I wouldn’t be surprised if 70% or more of our class has at least a Bachelor’s. I have my B.S. in Biology and I don’t necessarily think that makes me or anyone else “smarter” than someone without a degree. However, I think it does show maturity somewhat. You could be 19 or 20 and have all the pre-reqs done and most people with a Bachelor’s don’t finish until 22-23, maybe older. Even though that is only a few years, there is a big difference between a 19 year old and a 23 year old.

Of course, if you already have a degree then I guess the best thing would be to get experience in a pharmacy setting or to re-take any pre-pharm courses that you did poorly in. Best of luck.

Hi all. I just have a quick question.

What would be "pushing it" in regards to MCPHS's 500-word essay limit? +/- 50 words? +/- 100? I am just wondering because I'm having difficulty shaping my essay with their strict structure (using 500 words to explain three topics is pretty strict to me, haha). Anyways, please shed some light for me... thank you :oops:

I would say +/- 50 words is fine…I don’t think they sit there counting words, I certainly wouldn’t but they would know if you blatantly went over the 500 word limit. I can’t remember but I think there is also a section on the application where you can tell the adcom anything else you think would be worthwhile for them to know. My advice is to just stay positive on anything you write and if you don’t have enough space to get everything on paper then try to cut it down and explain it better if and when you get an interview.

my essay was pretty ****ty, writing was never my strong point but i think it was like 475-490. i lived with a business major tho and he helped me make my resume as good as it could be. i probably got in based on my gpa and the fact that i have a B.S. tho, i wasnt too confident after my interview but i heard from MCP 3 days later......ive heard from other students that having a BA or BS really helps

Hey.. did anyone else notice that the Fall 2007 class schedule has been posted on the MCPHS website? Looks pretty good.

Hey.. did anyone else notice that the Fall 2007 class schedule has been posted on the MCPHS website? Looks pretty good.

hmm... can you paste the link? I looked all over the website and can't find it :p

i wonder when they are going to send us a definite schedule with our service learning assignment...

i wonder when they are going to send us a definite schedule with our service learning assignment...

You will get everything on your orientation, so enjoy your time-off.

What are examples of learning service that the school wants you to do?

There are various service learning sites available like free clinic, high school, elementary school, boy scout and so on. There are more but I don't remember all of them. What I did was tutoring Math at community college. Some students still go there from time to time to help them out. In the beginning, I had no idea why pharmacy students need to do this, but it is NOT that bad; you get to interact with people out of your boundary and you do learn something. Once a week for 3 hours...

Be aware that this is a required course and there was a few students failed this course, so they had to repeat the whole year. It is extremely extremely extremely hard to fail this class. None in our class but few in previous class... So don't play a game but just go when you are supposed to go, do what you are asked to do and act professionally.