Maybe we should go to Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't talking about dispensing and diagnosing although aren't mds allowed to do this in certain states? I was talking about having a PP degree (pharmacist practioner). Just like NP, they don't practice nursing anymore, they are diagnosers, they would work in same places as NP. Some people practice pharmacy for a while and then realize with their knowledge and clinical experience they may be better suited as a diagnoser. Why should we have to go back through medical school when 2 years should be enough especially if it is for nurses...

In AZ, NPs have same prescribing power as MDs and can work independent from MD. Some have even open primary care and derm clinics.

I'm not saying it's right but if people think nurses have enough education to diagnose in 2 years then certainly pharmacists do.

You forget that nurses ARE trained in physical assessment and physical procedures, from the very beginning, as RNs.

NPs take longer than two years, by the way.

You're comparing two completely different fields.

Members don't see this ad.

You forget that nurses ARE trained in physical assessment and physical procedures, from the very beginning, as RNs.

No, an NP degree takes two years.... is a masters degree... of course you take it AFTER obtaining a BSN, but don't forget you can take ALL these classes online/at your own pace for those two years.... then just open up shop on the corner. In AZ (where I live) as muse mentioned NP's have the same power as PAs/MDs they can prescribe and diagnose illnesses (they have little take home clinics that a majority of the NPs work at within local CVS/Walgreens)

No, an NP degree takes two years.... is a masters degree... of course you take it AFTER obtaining a BSN, but don't forget you can take ALL these classes online/at your own pace for those two years.... then just open up shop on the corner. In AZ (where I live) as muse mentioned NP's have the same power as PAs/MDs they can prescribe and diagnose illnesses (they have little take home clinics that a majority of the NPs work at within local CVS/Walgreens)

Too bad the big boxes took over. Independent pharmacies could contract some of those NPs out and do quite well with a little clinic that offers "afterhours".

Members don't see this ad :)
...Is anyone like me trying to go for Pharm D and MD?

Someone with bachelors in basket weaving can go to pa school as long as they have the prereqs, which are easier than pharmacy. Then in about 2 year graduate and work with MD prescribing, certainly pharmacist can have a similar degree but more like NP where they can prescribe independently without md supervision.

However not sure Who would oversee this degree maybe pharmacy board like nursing board does NPs, but don't see that happening as our board seems to only care about complaints and following the law and could care less about advancment of the profession. Especially as long as the chain pharmacies are in bed with the board. It's evident this is the case because they allow power to happen. Why Should techs And pharmacists in Florida be allowed to do anything with rxs in Arizona?

Are you being serious? Becoming an NP takes longer than two years because, as you pointed out, you need a BSN first. To say "OH AN NP ONLY TAKES TWO YEARS" is ridic. By your logic, being an RN takes -2 years and a BSN takes 0 years.

It's hysterical that you have me saying things that could be construed as defending the education of those in the profession. It is actually my personal belief that many NPs have too much responsibility for the amount of education (not in all settings, but definitely in some).

I'm familar with the profession, thanks, I know what power they have.

Last edited:
Someone with bachelors in basket weaving can go to pa school as long as they have the prereqs, which are easier than pharmacy.

What is your point? The major does not matter for med school either. The pre-reqs, cGPA and sGPA matter. The pre-reqs are easier than pharmacy? What does that even mean? Are you saying they are easier than pharmacy classes? Or pharmacy pre-reqs? Or being a pharmacist?

Then in about 2 year graduate and work with MD prescribing, certainly pharmacist can have a similar degree but more like NP where they can prescribe independently without md supervision.

What?

However not sure Who would oversee this degree maybe pharmacy board like nursing board does NPs, but don't see that happening as our board seems to only care about complaints and following the law and could care less about advancment of the profession. Especially as long as the chain pharmacies are in bed with the board. It's evident this is the case because they allow power to happen. Why Should techs And pharmacists in Florida be allowed to do anything with rxs in Arizona?

When you read this, does it make sense to you?

This program is longer... No, this program is longer. Blah blah blah.

Novel idea: do what you like and don't worry about what others think about you. We're all on the same team.

Okay...I just wanted to add my opinion. If pharmacists wish to provide primary care, they need to become trained appropriately. I'm going into my 3rd year of pharmacy school, I no longer want to be a pharmacist, and I am now applying to medical school. There are PA, MD, DO, NP, PharmD, and even PharmD/PA Programs. They are accredited individually, have their own curricula, and laws determine their responsibilities.

You can't judge a pharmacist and a doctor based on what they do, the money they earn, what courses they took to enter their programs...it's apples and oranges. NeuroSurg is right on, do what you like and realize we have the same goals, we are not competitors.

Okay...I just wanted to add my opinion. If pharmacists wish to provide primary care, they need to become trained appropriately. I'm going into my 3rd year of pharmacy school, I no longer want to be a pharmacist, and I am now applying to medical school. There are PA, MD, DO, NP, PharmD, and even PharmD/PA Programs. They are accredited individually, have their own curricula, and laws determine their responsibilities.

You can't judge a pharmacist and a doctor based on what they do, the money they earn, what courses they took to enter their programs...it's apples and oranges. NeuroSurg is right on, do what you like and realize we have the same goals, we are not competitors.

:sleep:

What's with all the banter about which degree is better?

Just because someone is called "Dr." does not mean that they truly embody what that term actually means. A "Dr." is someone that has attained the highest level of knowledge in their field and is furthering the field. That means that the person is not just getting a paycheck or practicing...they should also be pushing the boundaries of what is already estalished. If you get a doctoral degree and just suck up money for the next 30 years, you are a parasite, not a doctor.

Just because someone is called "Dr." does not mean that they truly embody what that term actually means. A "Dr." is someone that has attained the highest level of knowledge in their field and is furthering the field. That means that the person is not just getting a paycheck or practicing...they should also be pushing the boundaries of what is already estalished. If you get a doctoral degree and just suck up money for the next 30 years, you are a parasite, not a doctor.

Had ACPE been as strict as your are when it comes to accrediting pharmacy schools, our profession would not have sunk to the current mire of havoc.

doctor = teacher