Biden to forgive 10k to everyone and leave us RPH out, we must unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBonita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I worked hard to get my pharm.D. For years I have worked long hard hours at Walgreens. Sometimes working with no tech during the pandemic and filling 200 scripts a day and working off the clock. All I ask is for Biden to not discriminate against us front line workers who never missed a day at work to help the community. I know my job is important and even if I have the flu or can barely walk I still come and fill prescriptions because I know the importance of what I am doing. If Biden decides to exclude us because our wages are too high, he needs to look at the sacrifices that were made. If he forgives people who decided to go to a scam college and sit at home and complain about being fooled while we basically sacrificed our lives for the better of the community and get nothing, something is wrong here.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Not unless your making more than 150k

Reactions: 1 users
Why would we get all wound up about 10k in the first place? Most of us have 150-200k or more in student loans.

10k will do nothing to move the dial for the vast majority of us. I could care less if they do, or do not, take 10k off my loan. I’m just shooting for that 20 year mark - then I’ll consider paying off what’s left.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So who plans to wear their white coat with their pharmacy school logo on it and protest with me?

• Haha
Pharmacy schools are the ultimate for profit universities

So who plans to wear their white coat with their pharmacy school logo on it and protest with me?
Ok just don’t wear your rolex watch and drive your bmw there.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If it does happen, I will dig my school coat out and drive my 18 year old rust beater to DC

Dude….. I’m way too fat to wear my pharmacy school white coat. It would be like the Chris Farley skit, “fat guy in a little coat”.

My arms would be all flappy and immobile. I would not be able to bring them to my front side.

• Haha
BMBiology: told you so.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I love how the legend of BMbiology lives on…

He lives in my head rent free too.

That foo owes me a beer in like 18 months once my PSLF completes and my loan discharged.

• Haha
I honestly thought I would get 1000 replies and we would be this mad mob like the corinthian college student who got their loans wiped out. Seems they are smarter than us. We got robbed by the schools but too chicken to act crazy so government can give us a handout. I'm going to have to find me a couple bums and hand them out white coats and lead the crazy pack for the sake of all pharmacists in debt. After the cops beat me to death and Biden wipes out all our loans, you guys better kiss my feet.

• Haha
I honestly thought I would get 1000 replies and we would be this mad mob like the corinthian college student who got their loans wiped out. Seems they are smarter than us. We got robbed by the schools but too chicken to act crazy so government can give us a handout. I'm going to have to find me a couple bums and hand them out white coats and lead the crazy pack for the sake of all pharmacists in debt. After the cops beat me to death and Biden wipes out all our loans, you guys better kiss my feet.

Dude - I got your back 100%. I just kinda threw in the towel a while back. I have accepted my fate that ultimately I just kinda made a bad move getting into pharmacy. I do not have faith that we, as a whole, will “rise up and defeat the man”.

The war has been fought already over the past 25 years and we were outsmarted. The battlefield is littered with the bodies of pharmacists and we are left to pick through the refuse. Worst part is, there is still so many people coming into our profession and the quality gets worse and worse every year. Somehow - these people actually think they are making a good decision.

It’s over - and honestly, any of us still working are just fortunate to get a paycheck. It won’t be long until the demand for us continues to drop to a point where opportunities outside of pharmacy clearly becomes a better choice and we should just do something else.

The future I see for about 65% of pharmacy is new graduates filling terrible positions until they burn out and move on to something outside of pharmacy like the rest of us.

It’s not over yet - but it’s coming and we all know it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I worked hard to get my pharm.D. For years I have worked long hard hours at Walgreens. Sometimes working with no tech during the pandemic and filling 200 scripts a day and working off the clock. All I ask is for Biden to not discriminate against us front line workers who never missed a day at work to help the community. I know my job is important and even if I have the flu or can barely walk I still come and fill prescriptions because I know the importance of what I am doing. If Biden decides to exclude us because our wages are too high, he needs to look at the sacrifices that were made. If he forgives people who decided to go to a scam college and sit at home and complain about being fooled while we basically sacrificed our lives for the better of the community and get nothing, something is wrong here.
Let me write the Pope so I can nominate you for sainthood.

That foo owes me a beer in like 18 months once my PSLF completes and my loan discharged.

Yes but you owe me beers if you get them discharged.

Pharmacists shouldn't get student loan relief.

I’m sorry but - 50 bucks an hour is not much at all. Yesterday I was talking to a cleaning lady who gets 40 hours a week at 38 dollars an hour.

I know that you make considerably more than 50/hour, and you work in reasonable conditions, but you should know that you are the exception to the rule and you are quite fortunate.

The question should be is it the occupation or wage? Personally, I think it should be how much you make should determine eligibility for debt reduction/forgiveness.

I must say starting off life with massive student loan debt has been a major deterrent for making major life purchases and decisions (automobile, house, upgrades on standards/quality of living conditions/life, long term relationship commitment, starting a family, etc.). Such a broken system just encourages one to dig oneself into even more debts out of fears of missing out on things in life.

$10k is what, one year of student loan payments? Two? It’s so little and such a token effort. It’s also going to be deeply unpopular with people who’s idea of fair is that if they don’t get it, it isn’t fair.

Let’s do UBI instead and skip the token loan “forgiveness”. Or do something to make education obtainable without indentured servitude.

$10k is what, one year of student loan payments? Two? It’s so little and such a token effort. It’s also going to be deeply unpopular with people who’s idea of fair is that if they don’t get it, it isn’t fair.

Let’s do UBI instead and skip the token loan “forgiveness”. Or do something to make education obtainable without indentured servitude.

Pay back principle of student loans - that’s my opinion.

I’m sorry but - 50 bucks an hour is not much at all. Yesterday I was talking to a cleaning lady who gets 40 hours a week at 38 dollars an hour.

$50 an hour is one hell of a lot of money to 99.9% of humans on the planet. The median wage is like $18 an hour for full time workers in the US. If you can't make it off of $50 an hour, even with student loans, you either have a spending problem or very specific needs for living that others do not. If you live in extreme cost of living areas, I'd move away ASAP because it's just not worth it. You can live in a small town with good amenities and a short drive from a major city like Allentown, PA. Houses are super cheap, pay is $65/hr+. In fact, they are paying bonuses. CVS can't find enough people to work up there. 2 hours from NYC, 2 hours from Philly.

Cleaning ladies around here make like $14 an hour. Just off of a cursory search on Indeed. Where the hell are cleaning workers making $38/hr?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
$50 an hour is one hell of a lot of money to 99.9% of humans on the planet. The median wage is like $18 an hour for full time workers in the US. If you can't make it off of $50 an hour, even with student loans, you either have a spending problem or very specific needs for living that others do not. If you live in extreme cost of living areas, I'd move away ASAP because it's just not worth it. You can live in a small town with good amenities and a short drive from a major city like Allentown, PA. Houses are super cheap, pay is $65/hr+. In fact, they are paying bonuses. CVS can't find enough people to work up there. 2 hours from NYC, 2 hours from Philly.

Cleaning ladies around here make like $14 an hour. Just off of a cursory search on Indeed. Where the hell are cleaning workers making $38/hr?

I suppose it’s real life application vs google searching.

I guarantee that if you live in any major city and you call any cleaning service you will get rates at approximately 30-60 per hour easily.

I would also disagree with the reality of an 18/hour wage as a national average. For all practical purposes, if you remove workers under 21 years of age - and if you include salaried workers - the average hourly rate would certainly be higher. Likely around 25 - in my speculative opinion.

For ANYONE buying their home after the year 2018 - 50/hour is not much at all. Especially if you are not “normal” and would like to have children.

My son is 14 years old and he works 30 hours a week at the UPS store for 15 bucks an hour (summer time).. Guys like us - the early 2000s 50/hour was a lot. The new generation coming up - 50/hour is okay.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Fantasy Island 🏝

No - not at all. I’m quite sure about this. I would be willing to place a bet right now that if we picked any random major city in the USA, then randomly picked any professional cleaning service and asked for a quote to do a “move out cleanup” which would be about 5-6 hours - I would be willing to bet anything that you will be quoted at 30-50/ hour easily.

Unless things correct in the other direction, there is a new normal setting in. This new normal will be - people who bought their home before 2018, and people who bought their homes after 2018. And anyone who does not own is at the mercy of the market which is very ugly right now for the renter.

Like I said - unless it corrects in the other way significantly this is the new normal

No - not at all. I’m quite sure about this. I would be willing to place a bet right now that if we picked any random major city in the USA, then randomly picked any professional cleaning service and asked for a quote to do a “move out cleanup” which would be about 5-6 hours - I would be willing to bet anything that you will be quoted at 30-50/ hour easily.

Unless things correct in the other direction, there is a new normal setting in. This new normal will be - people who bought their home before 2018, and people who bought their homes after 2018. And anyone who does not own is at the mercy of the market which is very ugly right now for the renter.

Like I said - unless it corrects in the other way significantly this is the new normal
I think you are confusing what the service charges with what the cleaner makes. And making 50 dollars in one hour doesn’t mean you make 50 dollars an hour unless you literally can make 50 per hour for 40 hours per week.

I mean just think about it. If you could make your same salary for being a cleaner, wouldn’t you? Doesn’t seem too bad to me.

I think you are confusing what the service charges with what the cleaner makes. And making 50 dollars in one hour doesn’t mean you make 50 dollars an hour unless you literally can make 50 per hour for 40 hours per week.

I mean just think about it. If you could make your same salary for being a cleaner, wouldn’t you? Doesn’t seem too bad to me.

Sure - this is fair enough. Most of these “professional services” are privately owned and the person performing the service is also the owner.

I think you may have seen in some of my other posts that I just sold my house. I hired a cleaning service to come clean up after my move and to clean the rental I am moving into.

I am naturally one of those annoying gregarious people so I got to know the cleaning lady well and she told me all the ins and outs of her business. She is the owner - and she occasionally has a helper about 10 hours a week. But otherwise all of the service charge goes to her. And she is charging me 35/hour. She told me that if you average in tips it ends up being around d 37 or so.

Apparently she has very regular accounts - she told me about a chain of salons that has her clean once weekly (all the hair) and this actually give her about 20 hours a week right there. Then she does tons of work for people like me as well.

Honestly - she seemed happy and like she was doing great. I think it’s fair to assume that a good majority of these professional cleaning services are run exactly how she is doing it.

So I think all of us are now dying to know how much debt said cleaning entrepreneur spent on capital to start said business

I don’t know.. she had a vacuum cleaner and a bucket full of cleaning supplies that you would pick up at the grocery store.

She used a steam cleaner on the floor and walls which leads me to believe she is saving money that way.

I can’t imagine it’s that expensive. I could round up most of the stuff she was using in my home right now. Certainly less capital than is needed to go to pharmacy school and open a pharmacy. In fact - seems a lot smarter to me..

She was also wearing a shirt with her company logo on it so there is there is that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Pretty much every pharmacy school, and that is what you are doing now lol. You just got scammed differently by not being able to make appropriate risk/reward decisions (by giving up 6-10 years in school, opportunity cost, to a profession that doesn’t care about you or the work conditions, so you can have 150-200k in loans and make 80k as a new grad), when you had all the necessary information in front of you to do so.

Sure - this is fair enough. Most of these “professional services” are privately owned and the person performing the service is also the owner.

I think you may have seen in some of my other posts that I just sold my house. I hired a cleaning service to come clean up after my move and to clean the rental I am moving into.

I am naturally one of those annoying gregarious people so I got to know the cleaning lady well and she told me all the ins and outs of her business. She is the owner - and she occasionally has a helper about 10 hours a week. But otherwise all of the service charge goes to her. And she is charging me 35/hour. She told me that if you average in tips it ends up being around d 37 or so.

Apparently she has very regular accounts - she told me about a chain of salons that has her clean once weekly (all the hair) and this actually give her about 20 hours a week right there. Then she does tons of work for people like me as well.

Honestly - she seemed happy and like she was doing great. I think it’s fair to assume that a good majority of these professional cleaning services are run exactly how she is doing it.
Yes, many people earn now earn 50/hr or more, especially services (i.e. microblading, estheticians, etc.), and are much happier not having 150-200k in loans, 6-10 years of opportunity loss, decreasing work conditions. 50/hr has not been a brag for a long time, not in this day and age, especially when you can’t get more than 28-32 hours per week. In NY, trash collectors were pulling in 300k/year and they typically pull over 100k to start with, but i guess it depends what you’re content on doing, the opportunities are definitely there though.

Reactions: 3 users

That % statistic is way off. 50/hr is not that much in todays day and age, certainly not to “99.9% of people on the planet” or anywhere near that. My neighbor who has a lawn curring service pays his employees 5-6k per month (0 education, from Mexico, no papers, etc.). Times have changed, bank tellers start at 25+/hr with no education, wholesalers are starting at 20/hr for loading/unloading produce. A lot of estheticians pull far more than most pharmacists with a certificate they printed at home, certainly far more than 50/hr. The list goes on, but point being, 50/hr especially with the current inflation is a joke, and especially if you can’t get more than 28-32 hours which is the case for most new grads, who had to give up 6-10 years of school, have 150-200k in loans, work in miserable conditions, etc. Taking into account those loan sums, most people would be better of getting a job somewhere and working their way up. People with 2 year associate degrees in dental hygiene earn 60-85k, more than most new grad pharmacist starting now, much less than in 4 years if they start school now, with 0 loans. Radiology techs make ~70k, and travel ones make upwards of 130-140k (have friends who do this) with a 2 year degree. Those jobs you are refering to in PA are because no one wants to go there and/or they’re terrible stores, and/or the area is not good. The bonuses are useless with those hourly rates seeing as they are withheld at 40% and have to be paid back if you leave/are fired (more common than you might think) and some even have APR clauses, now imagine that in an area you don’t want to live in and are miserable, that 60/hr will start to feel like 20 real quick.

Last edited:
That % statistic is way off. 50/hr is not that much in todays day and age, certainly not to “99.9% of people on the planet” or anywhere near that.

The median income worldwide is like $10,000 a year. Google it.

My neighbor who has a lawn curring service pays his employees 5-6k per month (0 education, from Mexico, no papers, etc.).
There is no data for what undocumented workers make, so I can't fact check this. But that seems ridiculously high.

Times have changed, bank tellers start at 25+/hr with no education, wholesalers are starting at 20/hr for loading/unloading produce.
Tellers averaged $15.68 before the pandemic (again, googled it). So with 15-20% inflation, that's like $20/hr. Make sense. Looking on Indeed, the starting pay is about $17/hour around me. The starting RPh pay is as low as $50/hr to as high as $72/hr. So 3x as much as a bank tell, at least.

A lot of estheticians pull far more than most pharmacists with a certificate they printed at home, certainly far more than 50/hr.
There are lots of small businesses you can own where you can make a lot of money without a degree. Random examples of people making $50/hour doesn't mean much when the median salary is under $20/hr. (Again use Google)

The list goes on, but point being, 50/hr especially with the current inflation is a joke, and especially if you can’t get more than 28-32 hours which is the case for most new grads, who had to give up 6-10 years of school, have 150-200k in loans, work in miserable conditions, etc.
Right now, there is a shortage. I can get as many hours as I want. You can get signing bonuses in less desirable locations. And they are legit signing bonuses. Like $10,000 a year per year you stay.

Taking into account those loan sums, most people would be better of getting a job somewhere and working their way up. People with 2 year associate degrees in dental hygiene earn 60-85k, more than most new grad pharmacist starting now, much less than in 4 years if they start school now, with 0 loans. Radiology techs make ~70k, and travel ones make upwards of 130-140k (have friends who do this) with a 2 year degree. Those jobs you are refering to in PA are because no one wants to go there and/or they’re terrible stores, and/or the area is not good. The bonuses are useless with those hourly rates seeing as they are withheld at 40% and have to be paid back if you leave/are fired (more common than you might think) and some even have APR clauses, now imagine that in an area you don’t want to live in and are miserable, that 60/hr will start to feel like 20 real quick.

If you only limit yourself to jobs in Orange County or Manhattan, I imagine finding work would be more difficult than elsewhere. But that still doesn't mean that $50/hr isn't a lot to most people.

The median income worldwide is like $10,000 a year. Google it.

There is no data for what undocumented workers make, so I can't fact check this. But that seems ridiculously high.

Tellers averaged $15.68 before the pandemic (again, googled it). So with 15-20% inflation, that's like $20/hr. Make sense. Looking on Indeed, the starting pay is about $17/hour around me. The starting RPh pay is as low as $50/hr to as high as $72/hr. So 3x as much as a bank tell, at least.

There are lots of small businesses you can own where you can make a lot of money without a degree. Random examples of people making $50/hour doesn't mean much when the median salary is under $20/hr. (Again use Google)

Right now, there is a shortage. I can get as many hours as I want. You can get signing bonuses in less desirable locations. And they are legit signing bonuses. Like $10,000 a year per year you stay.

If you only limit yourself to jobs in Orange County or Manhattan, I imagine finding work would be more difficult than elsewhere. But that still doesn't mean that $50/hr isn't a lot to most people.
Appreciate your response. Read everything and posting from mobile so it’s a bit difficult to quote each part, but Google is off on pay, not just pharmacist but overall (and likely hasn’t even caught up with trends over the past 2-3 years). It still lists Pharmacist median pay as 128k. This is way out of range for new grads (and has been for some time). It’s incorrectly driven by a minority who still won’t leave their high paying jobs because they know as soon as they do, they won’t get the same rates. This is echoed by Pharmacists themselves. Students are seeing this on Google and going to get PharmDs then beating themseves up when they either 1) can’t get a job or 2) the best they get is 80-90k (if they can get one) with terrible conditions. As far as shortages, there hasn’t been a pharmacist shortage in at least 10 years, there’s just isn’t any willing to work for these wages in these conditions (rightfully so after all that schooling and debt). Likely this is going to change once loans resume and the market is going to flood again with pharmacists taking any wage to pay the loans, which will lower pay even further. In my area, some PharmDs are being offered 35/hr, most commonly it is 45-50/hr for new grads and this trend has shown to be all across the country. There are salary spreadsheets you can look up that are from large sampling and show this trend very clearly nationwide.

The more i think about it, the more people around i know have little to no education and are doing extremely well. Obivously this won’t represent the entire country and may not be suitable for everyone as there’s plenty of people who think education/paperweight is the only way to succeed. My neighbors daugher is 19 and got a grocery job manager position paying 75k (0 education). Another family friend has a daugher who is 23 and has worked at a popular (somewhat) fast food chain that starts with a P, and started cleaning dishes and now (3 years later) makes 100k, gets a car, gas, bonus 2-3x / year, etc. Again 0 education. I strongly believe, given that college applications and students entering college are at an all time low and schools are losing their minds, that prospective students are realizing the system is not what it’s sold to be on paper, and who can blame them?

Just because you drive a 1998 Ford Taurus and live in a double wide doesn't mean the rest of us do.

• Haha
A lot of Wags and CVS have to close some days because of no pharmacist coverage. At least here in Illinois.

Why do you say "leave us out"? It phases out singles that make greater than 150k or joint 300k. Many pharmacists will be included in this category, unfortunately not the top earners but still the majority.

If my math is correct, the people who clean your hotel room in Honolulu are now making $28 an hour. This job includes benefits and a pension. That ain’t a lot of money in Hawaii, but it would likely be a minimum wage job without their union. Moral of the story: if you’re a pharmacist and you’re job isn’t unionized, you’re doing something wrong.

i suppose the point that I’m really trying to make is that pharmacists are not, “making a lot of money” anymore. This is mostly true for anyone who has not bought their home/vehicle before 2018.

There are a lot of us who lived through the early 2000s to 2015 and bought their home/vehicle and other major purchases during this time - we could probably stand back and say, “WTH we make tons of cash”.

But - the truth is, anyone starting out now at 50/hour without having major purchases covered and having massive debt - this is the new 25-30 bucks an hour comparable to 2005. Anyone straddled with 200K+ debt in this position is in a world of pain and will get eaten alive by credit markets. The only way out is a dual income of a comparable wage or to have absolutly no aspirations of having a family.

We need a major correction in many markets before this becomes untrue. Housing, automobiles, gas, energy, food, services, etc etc etc…. It all needs to come down or a single income of 50/hour is going to be poverty level in about 10 years for anyone who has not covered their major purchases.

You heard it here first.

Last edited:
Many walgreens locations here in South Florida also remain closed or operating under reduced hours . I left the company after almost a decade about 2 months ago and now work from home. As far as I’m concerned , starting rates for new grads was , until just a few months, $46-$47 per hour . A few weeks ago i heard rates for new grads have now increased to $55 per hour likely due to the desperation the company is experiencing . It’s simple supply and demand . Only a foolish and arrogant American corporation would steadfastly refuse to raise salaries when they need a licensed employee to maintain a certain department up and running . In regards to the $50 per hour not being a big deal anymore, this is true in 2022 because of inflation and the general increase in cost of living . However, in the grand of scheme of things and when you consider both median and average income in the US, $100k or more is still significantly higher than what most people bring . The median household income may be $65k per year accounting for two people or more working but just 1 pharmacist making $110k a year is already making more than a typical household . Suppose 1 pharmacist makes $110k and a significant other brings in an average $35-$40k per year . That brings up the total household income to $145-$150k a year - this is more than double the typical household income in the US. Will you be living like a wealthy family on such a household income or even just one rph on $110k? Absolutely not but you are still doing much better than 80-90% of the US population . You want to know real problem ? The problem is Americans often want a large , spacious home, 2 or 3 cars , AND the standard 2-3 children . I mean come on you want all that and then complain your income is inadequate? Pharmacists make plenty of money but if you 2 or more children , as most Americans CHOOSE to have , then yes you will feel your 6 figure income is not enough . People complain about the cost of food and let me tell you I am cooking more often now and I personally don’t find food to be so prohibitively expensive . I spent $170 for 15 days of food just for myself and get eggs, produce, fish, meat, etc . That’s not too bad . But if you CHOOSE to have more than 1 child then i can see how food is now more expensive because you have multiple people to feed, including yourself. Don’t tell me $110-$120 k for 1 rph and perhaps $40k from a spouse is not enough . It IS enough if you try to reason from a financial point of view . Some basic lessons and please no offense to those who have 2 or more children - 1) stop being a breeder . It’s 2022 and with how life is these days this isn’t the time to burden yourself with both responsibilities and extra expenses from multiple children . Have 1 child, not 2 or 3 or 4 . That Europe trip as husband, wife, and 1 child is now more attainable . 2 or more kids ? Suddenly the cost is prohibitive and your vacation will be to Walt Disney World and dining at Denny’s instead of something nicer . 2) Stop spending so much on homes or dreaming about expensive houses . Do not make a “God” out of your home . Get something reasonable, simple and even home maintenance will be less expensive. Choose an expensive home and your hard earned RPh salary will flee from you on plumbing , flooring , or whatever other expense comes up . 3) Find a spouse who is frugal if you can . Be on the same page about babies, home ownership and finances in general . Control your salary and don’t let societal standards dictate how you run your life . I am 36, my girl is 23 and we have discusses just about everything from children to finances and everything . She used to have the mentality of 2 or 3 children and I have destroyed that dream because of the 3 general rules I gave above , rule 1 is the most important . I LOVE to travel and in my years in retail I was blessed enough to be avle to afford traveling all over the world by prioritizing , not breeding, living simply . I have been to multiple countries on every continent and enjoyed it with my pharmacist income . And how ? Because pharmacists still make great money . Its all about priorities . I have pharmacists asking me how I do this or that and they all whine ant complain they can’t afford anything and when you inquire further you realize they have a big home, more than 1 car, and multiple mouths to feed . That was their priority in life and they are living their dream so why complain ? Please don’t say $100k is nothing when 90% of the population is living on FAR LESS. Those NYC sanitation workers pulling in $300k? The cleaning people making $38 per hour ? It may be true but one thing you guys are forgetting is that those few people may be making those salaries but they have no degree to fall upon if they lose those jobs . The cleaning person being paid $38 per hour or the sanitation worker pulling in 6 figures may lose their jobs and end up having to take another job that only pays them $20 per hour since they lack a degree . At least as a pharmacist you may lose your job but you know because of your degree you can get another job and make similar money - those other people wirh no education may lose their coveted position and need to take a huge pay cut to get another job in an unrelated field. Just something to think about …

i suppose the point that I’m really trying to make is that pharmacists are not, “making a lot of money” anymore. This is mostly true for anyone who has not bought their home/vehicle before 2018.

There are a lot of us who lived through the early 2000s to 2015 and bought their home/vehicle and other major purchases during this time - we could probably stand back and say, “WTH we make tons of cash”.

But - the truth is, anyone starting out now at 50/hour without having major purchases covered and having massive debt - this is the new 25-30 bucks an hour comparable to 2005. Anyone straddled with 200K+ debt in this position is in a world of pain and will get eaten alive by credit markets. The only way out is a dual income of a comparable wage or to have absolutly no aspirations of having a family.

We need a major correction in many markets before this becomes untrue. Housing, automobiles, gas, energy, food, services, etc etc etc…. It all needs to come down or a single income of 50/hour is going to be poverty level in about 10 years for anyone who has not covered their major purchases.

You heard it here first.
If our salary is now equivalent to $25-$30 per hour , that means that 90% of the US population is basically earning minimum wage . Point is we ARE still ahead even if our salaries are no longer high and mighty . Also keep in mind people will ALWAYS complain no matter how much they earn because by nature people spend more as income increases . I guarantee if you make $250k within 1 year you and most others will feel its nothing these days . More children , a bigger home , “college funds for the kids”- all unnecessary expenses that make pharmacists and others feel destitute . I would say its time to learn how to say “NO” more often to societal expectations and as men, start learning how to say NO to our women too , bro . I feel in relationships men these days don’t have the balls to simply tell their women “no” . “No, babe, we are not going to buy that grill or get that car .” “No, son, you’re 18 years old and pay for your own education and take out your loans and take care of yourself .” When you are a “yes” man, you become a broke man in modern day America . You can please your wife, gf, whatever but also learn to say “NO”. The word “NO” is such a beautiful and powerful word and will do wonders for your finances . Big home with pool I know i cant afford ? No . Another car ? No. Getting a car for my 16 year old when he or she hasnt earned it ? No . $20k engagement ring from Tiffany’s for the honey at home ? No . A massive college fund for a future 18 year old son or daughter who may not even value education ? No (and save it for your old age instead). And all this comes down to rule 3- frugal partner /spouse . And here’s rule 4 that I didn’t mention in my other post - Think about yourself more/be more selfish instead of catering to the whims and desires of family, friends, women, society .

Last edited:
I paid off my loans within 3 years. I would have loved 10k of that to be forgiven.

I guarantee if you make $250k within 1 year you and most others will feel its nothing these days .

^This. Lifestyle creep will destroy finances and make people think that “everyone” has the same lifestyle and opportunities that we do. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most people don’t have a thousand dollars in savings. Most people are two paychecks from losing their homes. I hope no one here is in that position…

Yes but you owe me beers if you get them discharged.

Good lord, I was a punchy af 11 years ago, lol. I’ve mellowed with age, it seems.

I honor my debts (hahah, hmmm), I will provide beers and I’ll even kick in a bottle or two of my favorite cab.

I kind of regret pausing my loans to beef up my house down payment a few years ago, I would have been done this year and discharged under PSLF. Ah well.

This thread put me into a state of Sunday afternoon contemplation for about 20 minutes today. I grilled some cheeseburgers and sat down and really thought things out.

Anyway, I paid attention in my macro/micro economics class when I was an undergraduate. I am not, in any way, one of those doomsday people. I’m in my mid 40s, I’ve done quite well and raised 5 children and am still married to the same woman I got married to when we were 20. I have my head on straight - for the most part.

With that said, I really feel like we are approaching some very hard times. I think it will develop slowly as most people own large purchases from an era of time when things were affordable. My fear is not that inflation will continue to rise, rather - I fear that inflation will not correct itself but instead just stay the way it is for a long term period of time. This will bring the modern American, and especially the new generation, to its knees economically.

The new generation is going to figure out soon what they have coming to them - the answer is nothing. And when they figure this out, they are going to be pissed…. Really pissed. I honestly say that I fear the wrath of the rising generation in America if we don’t fix things quick.

I don’t know about you guys but I’m taking my ball and going home. I cashed out everything (except 401k) I could this month and sold my home to the first person crazy enough to buy it for almost 3x the price I bought it for 4 years ago. I’m circling the wagons and hoping that I have what I need to weather the storm that I see coming.

Supply and demand…. It’s going to get ugly.

This thread put me into a state of Sunday afternoon contemplation for about 20 minutes today. I grilled some cheeseburgers and sat down and really thought things out.

Anyway, I paid attention in my macro/micro economics class when I was an undergraduate. I am not, in any way, one of those doomsday people. I’m in my mid 40s, I’ve done quite well and raised 5 children and am still married to the same woman I got married to when we were 20. I have my head on straight - for the most part.

With that said, I really feel like we are approaching some very hard times. I think it will develop slowly as most people own large purchases from an era of time when things were affordable. My fear is not that inflation will continue to rise, rather - I fear that inflation will not correct itself but instead just stay the way it is for a long term period of time. This will bring the modern American, and especially the new generation, to its knees economically.

The new generation is going to figure out soon what they have coming to them - the answer is nothing. And when they figure this out, they are going to be pissed…. Really pissed. I honestly say that I fear the wrath of the rising generation in America if we don’t fix things quick.

I don’t know about you guys but I’m taking my ball and going home. I cashed out everything (except 401k) I could this month and sold my home to the first person crazy enough to buy it for almost 3x the price I bought it for 4 years ago. I’m circling the wagons and hoping that I have what I need to weather the storm that I see coming.

Supply and demand…. It’s going to get ugly.
where is your family of 7 living now that you sold your home? are you renting?

where is your family of 7 living now that you sold your home? are you renting?

Yes - we are a single income family of 7 and have been for almost 17 years.

I just moved into a new rental about 2 miles away from where I previously owned. The rent prices are outrageous.

I am well aware of the renting vs owning argument and the benefits of holding an asset like a home. However, I owned a 5 bedroom home - which is a bit of a unique circumstance. You don’t own a 5 bedroom home unless you have a good reason for it. My children are getting older - I will be renting for 3-5 years. At that time I will either look to buy a 3 bedroom home/townhouse and will do the same thing to my kids that my dad did to me - I will give them a fistful of cash, a beater car, and show them the front door.

Then - I will downsize significantly and see what happens. I have a significant amount of savings that I built over many years of working/investing, and now I just sold my home.

I realized that someday I would need to sell that 5 bedroom home - it’s my opinion that now is the time to do it as the market can not stand any more significant upward motion. I rented a 4 bedroom home and I’ll make my kids share a room for the time being.

it’s my opinion that now is the time to do it as the market can not stand any more significant upward motion.
We will see. Counting on the real estate market being higher now than it will be in 5 years seems like a very courageous bet to me. Good luck!

We will see. Counting on the real estate market being higher now than it will be in 5 years seems like a very courageous bet to me. Good luck!

I agree dude - I’m not even necessarily thinking it will be lower. I just don’t want to be holding a 5 bedroom home through a possible downturn in the market is all.

I would not be surprised if we experience national 20% decline on average over the next 3 years or so with stagnation of prices going forward.

I think the best thing we can count on bringing prices down is a decrease in population growth. No one wants to have kids anymore

Im sorry...probably not the popular opinion....but I went to school and paid back my loans. I lived poor when I got out of school. Didnt live high off the hog while I was in school.

• Dislike