LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ADN1226 said:
Do you know if your reference has a letter all written out for you... ready to submit? Mine didn't take too long. Maybe 2 weeks, be patient =)

Is it bad that my references won't get the letters done/sent into PharmCAS until perhaps October?

Members don't see this ad.

Two of my LOR went from pending to complete the same day as PharmCas sent the notice out. My Two professors completed the electronic LOR as soon as they received the link and it showed up immediately on my application. The one from my pharmacist went from pending to incomplete. I emailed Pharmcas to ask what that meant. They replied she had opened the link to the LOR and saved it, but had not submitted. If not complete within a week to contact her. It was listed as completed within a few days.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll just wait a little longer and if nothing has changed, I'll drop an e-mail to her.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mom is an alumna of my 1st choice SOP. Would they take an LOR from a parent seriously, even if that parent is a practicing pharmacist and an alumna? I know that this school gives added consideration to recommendations from alumni but would the familial relationship cancel it out? I'd like to hear your opinions, thanks!

Probably not. I don't know what SOP stands for, but every PharmCas school I have looked at has stated that Letters of recommendation from family and even friends will not be considered. If they're on PharmCas see what it says under the school information section. If that still isn't clear, call the school and they will tell you.

hopeforthebest said:
My mom is an alumna of my 1st choice SOP. Would they take an LOR from a parent seriously, even if that parent is a practicing pharmacist and an alumna? I know that this school gives added consideration to recommendations from alumni but would the familial relationship cancel it out? I'd like to hear your opinions, thanks!
u have to be kidding me..

collinisem said:
Probably not. I don't know what SOP stands for, but every PharmCas school I have looked at has stated that Letters of recommendation from family and even friends will not be considered. If they're on PharmCas see what it says under the school information section. If that still isn't clear, call the school and they will tell you.
thanks collin! i hadn't read through the info on LOR's yet b/c they aren't required... makes perfect sense

Don't risk and short-change yourself.
How do schools know that your mom is not biased in her LOR?

One of the questions that schools' admins look at: does he/she have any respectable people who is NEUTRAL and will STRONGLY recommend him/her?

Think again. Don't let your chance slip by because of this.

dabumba said:
Don't risk and short-change yourself.
How do schools know that your mom is not biased in her LOR?

One of the questions that schools' admins look at: does he/she have any respectable people who is NEUTRAL and will STRONGLY recommend him/her?

Think again. Don't let your chance slip by because of this.
i agree... thanks for your input :)

Don't use your mom. (period)

The fact that she is an alumnas is probably going to benefit you already..

collinisem said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll just wait a little longer and if nothing has changed, I'll drop an e-mail to her.
One of my LOR is paper-based. It was sent out today. Anyone knows how long does it take for the letter to be be considered "submitted" by Pharmcas?

Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad :)
smallkitty00 said:
Anyone knows how long? :thumbup:

I had a paper one and I think it took like a week to 10 days. Not too long.

Would it be inappropriate to ask my director for a LOR? I have been working in biotech for the past 5 years. She does not know my intentions of pursuing pharmacy school.

Seems like a good place to ask for a LOR. If she expects you to be working there indefinately or has plans for you once you're not in school (if you are right now) then you'd have to be tactful about it. Other then that it seems like a very good person to ask, I had my boss at my summer job (Pulp Mill, Enviro supervisor) do mine.

sdgirl1507 said:
Would it be inappropriate to ask my director for a LOR? I have been working in biotech for the past 5 years. She does not know my intentions of pursuing pharmacy school.

Just request 30 minutes of her time at her discretion and tell her how pivotal her input would be to your success. It worked for me. :D

PolarBear21 said:
Don't use your mom. (period)

The fact that she is an alumnas is probably going to benefit you already..

I agree. Besides you can always call the admissions people and ask to have a meeting to discuss your application and you can always slip in the fact that your mom is an alumnus during the discussion. You will also have the opportunity to talk about your moms influence in choosing that particular school in your supp. essay.

Never ever use a friend or family for a LOR. Most schools won't even accept them and if they did it wouldn't be a good thing. They are looking for unbiased opinions of you, and somehow I doubt your mom could be very objective about you.

Please dont let your mom write a LOR for you. Either have her contact anyone at the school she has pull with, or get one of her pharmacy friends to write you a nice letter.

I am going to start working in a pharmacy very soon. I'll start this month, and will make it to mid-october. At this point, I have to submit my application. So...

1. Is this enough time to ask a pharmacist for a recommendation? If no, then should I atleast try?

2. Whats the fastest way to do a LOR with a pharmacist? I am applying through pharmcas, so do I get pharmcas to send them an email? Or do I print out a form and give it to the pharmacist so that he/she can mail it to pharmcas.

3. If I get pharmcas to send an email to the pharmacist for the LOR, then how are the pharmacy schools going to know that this electronic evaluator was "legit" and the real deal? The pharmacist could provide any email address, such a hotmail account. Anyone could lie and cheat this way.

shaq786 said:
I am going to start working in a pharmacy very soon. I'll start this month, and will make it to mid-october. At this point, I have to submit my application. So...

1. Is this enough time to ask a pharmacist for a recommendation? If no, then should I atleast try?

2. Whats the fastest way to do a LOR with a pharmacist? I am applying through pharmcas, so do I get pharmcas to send them an email? Or do I print out a form and give it to the pharmacist so that he/she can mail it to pharmcas.

3. If I get pharmcas to send an email to the pharmacist for the LOR, then how are the pharmacy schools going to know that this electronic evaluator was "legit" and the real deal? The pharmacist could provide any email address, such a hotmail account. Anyone could lie and cheat this way.

Number 2 is correct. Pharmcas sends an email to the pharmacists once you put them as a reference. In regards to number 3, it's an honor system. There is no such thing as a "pharmacist stamp of authenticity" So it really doesn't matter if its a hotmail account or if your pharmacist is mailing the letter from his house.

You could wait til september to get the LOR... still not that late. And just let the pharmacist know your situation and tell them that you'll stay there until october so its not like you are working there just for the LOR. It doesnt hurt to ask =) The worse they can say is "no"

Hi, so I've been interning as an undergrad 4 hours a week at a local rite aid. The problem is I only work on Sundays and the main pharmacist does not work that day, its always a floater and I can never ask for a letter of rec.

Then last week I came in on Wednesday just to get a paper signed by the main pharmacist and she noticed I wanted to become a pharmacist and she offered to let me come in on another day so she could let me see how it is working with a pharmacist on a regular day.

So I'm coming in tommorow and although I've been working at the place for a month, its basically my first time working with the pharmacist there. Would it be innapropriate to ask for a letter of recomendation in the first day? Or should I ask her when I plan to come in on another day. I really need the rec by Sep 1st.

Should I ask her and be straightforward (and give her more time), or should I wait a while and let her get to know me first?

Thanks a lot for all your input. :)

Why do you need it by sept 1st? Asking for a LOR on the first day isnt really a good idea. It puts her in a hard place by trying to write a letter for someone she doesn't know or turning you down even though she might write a good letter if she knew you better.

thanks for the reply! I'm thinking of not asking today.. but I'm worried I might just delay an inevitable no. I mean is asking on the 2nd day that much better?

Any more opinions? They are greatly appreciated.

Oh and I need the LOR by sep 1st to make UOP Tier 2 deadline

PolarBear21 said:
thanks for the reply! I'm thinking of not asking today.. but I'm worried I might just delay an inevitable no. I mean is asking on the 2nd day that much better?

Any more opinions? They are greatly appreciated.

Oh and I need the LOR by sep 1st to make UOP Tier 2 deadline

You've been there for a little while and have a "job history" there at least... She seemed interested in having you come in when she was there once she found out you were applying to pharmacy school... I don't see how it would be a problem to ask her for a letter. Go ahead and ask. The worst she can say is NO. So what. Give her a copy of your resume and school history so she can know a little more about you if she agrees to write it. Also give her a copy of your PS if you have it done or at least a paragraph saying why you want to be a pharmacist, and telling a little about yourself and your history. Make it easy on her.

Just remember that the best LORs come from people who know you well.

But also remember that LORs in general are sortof just a hoop to jump through. I don't think schools put a great deal of weight on them, you just have to have them. 90% of them will be form letters from professors anyhow. :laugh:

BTW, how did you get an "intern" job as an undergrad? :confused:

Its just a volunteer position, I get paid zero dollars. Its just called an internship because it shows up on my transcript... as an internship. I guess its an internship.. but not in the way pharmacy studnets are interns. I can hardly actually do anything in the pharmacy for liability reasons.

Oh and thanks for your input :thumbup:

Hi all, just curious, for Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville, it does not specify from whom your LORs should be written from. Do you think it is acceptable to have a highschool teacher write a letter for me? Just to give you all some info about this teacher, I had him for 3 years, and year 2 and three I worked as a lab aid for him. Although he is not a science teacher, he is my past Art teacher. I believe he really got to know me and my work ethics well, and I know he would do nothing but a great letter from me. Do you think that would be good for a SIUe LOR? Thanks

WVUPharm2007 said:
I had my high school English teacher write one for me.

The bar has been raised to different level since ..........no body knows!
Today, it is a race. You have to show some kind of excellence, difference, and quality qualifications.

Few years ago, PCAT scores under 50 are fine. Comparing today, you need to have around 80 (at least) to be competitive; GPA was 2.75 then, 3.50 now; No experience as Pharm Tech then, tons of extracurricular activities now.

Think again and be realistic.

In Pre-Pharm, you have to take at least 60 pre-requisite credits to advance. The question is: during those 2 years of Pre-Pharm, don't you have any teacher who is willing to write you a good LOR? If you don't then think again!

I hope this will help.
Dabumba.

Yes don't.

My dad is a pharmacist and an Alumni as well (to the school I want to go to), but I'm not having him write me an LOR.

I'd have to agree with everyone and say it's a bad idea to have have mother write you a LOR.

-Spencer

For people who have applied to UOP and USC...

Do we have to send our LORs thru pharmcas? My school has a letter service, which they can send all the letters in one packet, I was thinking of just sending it directly to the schools.

Hi,

I'm pretty much done with all my pharmcas apps, excluding the supplemental stuff, however, I was wondering what materials should I bring when asking a prof for a LOR? Do you think providing a personal statment, letter of intent.... may transcript will be enought? What did you guys bring?

Thanks.

MeHungryRx said:
Hi,

I'm pretty much done with all my pharmcas apps, excluding the supplemental stuff, however, I was wondering what materials should I bring when asking a prof for a LOR? Do you think providing a personal statment, letter of intent.... may transcript will be enought? What did you guys bring?

Thanks.

The people I got letters from knew me well enough that all I had to do was ask. However, if I were in your shoes, I would make SURE that the prof will write you a good rec (there have been stories of prof writing bad recs and people not getting in because of it) and maybe take a small portfolio containing your accomplishments...blah blah blah. Good luck!!! ;)

Let's just say I'm five years out of college, and looking to go to pharmacy school. Let's also say I haven't spoken with a single one of my teachers since leaving. My question breaks into two parts:

a.) is there any good way to go back and ask my advisor to write nice things about me, even if he may not really remember me?

b.) might it not be better to have one of the teachers at the CC where I'm finishing pre-reqs who just saw me bust my hump last semester write it?

Hi, so today I received my first LOR from my Pharmacist. She wrote a very nice letter for me saying all the qualities she thinks I have. She told me if I needed to add something else to let her know:
my question is: does the letter need to have a contact number? she didn't write one
-does she need to write my personal info such as DOB, SS#? she didn't do that either.
-does she need to say the length of timne that I worked for them. She didn't say that either but maybe she did that because by saying it it may only hurt me since I have been there since December 06.
I hope somebody can answer these questions for me
THANK YOU

length of employment = yes
contact info = yes
DOB/SSN = no

ForcedEntry said:
length of employment = yes
contact info = yes
DOB/SSN = no
Thank you. I talked to somebody else and they said that length of emplolyment may be a negative thing, since I've only been there since December 05.
What do you guys think?
TY

Employment length shouldnt matter. The place that your applying to is probably going to ask you for your extra curricular activities and the dates you were doing them. So as long as you told the truth that your were there Since Dec. of 05, and the pharmacists says basically the same, then your okay.

I just recently started! And I am going to ask for the recommendation in Oct. :laugh:

Hey everyone here is my situation. I completed my application for UK pharmacy school in June. I asked 2 professors and a pharmacist in late May if they would write my LOR for me. All three replied they'd be happy to. So a few weeks passed and 2/3 of my professors submited the letter for me. Currently, i'm still waiting for one professor to submit my letter for me. I've emailed her, called her, and stopped by her office to ask her if she can still write it for me. She always replies, "Sure, i'll write it soon!" Now the deadline for early admission is quickly approaching (3 days). If she submits her letter to pharmcas in the next 3 days (which is probably highly unlikely :() will i still make the deadline? Sorry for the long post, but she's really starting to make me angry. I took 4 chemistry classes under her so she knows me really well and i made As in all of her courses. Oh well maybe she'll write it in a few days. Thanks for listening.

Hey everyone here is my situation. I completed my application for UK pharmacy school in June. I asked 2 professors and a pharmacist in late May if they would write my LOR for me. All three replied they'd be happy to. So a few weeks passed and 2/3 of my professors submited the letter for me. Currently, i'm still waiting for one professor to submit my letter for me. I've emailed her, called her, and stopped by her office to ask her if she can still write it for me. She always replies, "Sure, i'll write it soon!" Now the deadline for early admission is quickly approaching (3 days). If she submits her letter to pharmcas in the next 3 days (which is probably highly unlikely :() will i still make the deadline? Sorry for the long post, but she's really starting to make me angry. I took 4 chemistry classes under her so she knows me really well and i made As in all of her courses. Oh well maybe she'll write it in a few days. Thanks for listening.

I know that you don't want to bother her too much, but I would go to her tomorrow and just tell her that hey, the app is due by Friday or whenever and you MUST have the letter in by then. Be very cordial and don't seem put out by the situation and I think you should be fine. Maybe if she realizes the urgency of the situation she will hurry up. :thumbup:

I took Anatomy & Physiology I & II at a county college. I did excellent in my A&P II class and the teacher is head of the biology labs at the college. Should I ask her for an LOR, or will adcoms not think it holds much weight coming from a community college?

In my opinion (and it really is just that) - stats of the professor matter somewhat - what you really need to know is how often he/she writes LOR's - whether or not this person rejects anyone - and finally, how well this person liked you and is willing to put it in print. Stats vary, and more than likely, the school you are applying to will know little to nothing about them. What matters most is what is actually written in the LOR. As for me - I had 2 of my LORs come from CC professors - one for Bio II honors, and the other from humanities (the rounded student approach).

Good luck

~above~

Thanks guys--I'm going to request it from her. I had a great relationship with her and she told me to contact her and keep her updated as to my pharmacy career, so I know she will write me a good letter. The only thing I don't know is how often she writes letters for people. However, she doesn't strike me as the type to be too shy to say no to someone who doesn't deserve it.:)

Hey Everyone,
What's the deal on LOR's (Letter of Recommendations) if you're a re-applicant? Can we call the school and ask them to use the ones we sent in w/our application from last year or do we have to get new ones? IF we do have to get new LOR's, do you guys recommend going back to the same professor? Thanks.

From what I understand, you do need all new letters of recommendation. I don't see the problem in asking the same people. I stuck with the ones that I knew were stronger and replaced the one that weak. Good luck!!!!:D