LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmerted

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pharmacist needs help writing my LOR (by Jan 1st, too (for 1 school, that is). He's really busy with stuff for the holidays, so he asked me to help assist and said he would alter it as he saw fit.

I mainly shadowed him, so he can't write too much about my work habits. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pharmerted said:
My pharmacist needs help writing my LOR (by Jan 1st, too (for 1 school, that is). He's really busy with stuff for the holidays, so he asked me to help assist and said he would alter it as he saw fit.

I mainly shadowed him, so he can't write too much about my work habits. Thanks!

I would suggest giving him a copy of your personal statement and/or resume if you haven't already. It should be of some help.

Tell him to emphasize your willingness to help people and include any situations where you went out of your way (ie: walked into the aisle, stayed after hours) to help a patient out.

Members don't see this ad :)
And don't use general descriptors!!!!

Example:
This student is one-of-a-kind!
Adcom read:
Because he was a total jerk.

Make sure that this person supports his adjectives with examples.

Example:
This student is one-of-a-kind in Organic Chemistry! He meticulously set up the vertical hood to accurately make a Grignard reaction with a barometric humidity of 98%! (which is pretty impossible, I might add.)

Your pharmacist should say you have a huge penis. :laugh: :thumbup:

I'm thinking of applying to all pharm. schools within CA. I know some school require written letter of recommendation (LOR) and some require the recommenders to fill out the form. Which school requires this and can the written LOR be substitute for the fill out form.

Also, I'm thinking of applying for pharmacy school next years. Any tips? Regret? Advice?

Much thank

Fushi.tarazu said:
Which school requires this.

I could tell you, but I'd be doing you a disservice SINCE you'll have to go to each school's website to download their SUPPLEMENTAL forms ANYWAY (and the LOR stuff is USUALLY within the supplemental pdf) ;) plus, its always nice to get a head start on some of the apps (i.e. thinking about what you want to write, although sometimes they may change the essay topics). If you really can't find it, PM me. :) While you're at each school's website, you might as well bookmark the pages (I made a folder for each of the CA schools I applied to so I can organize them very well).

Fushi.tarazu said:
can the written LOR be substitute for the fill out form.
Yeah, I guess they can, but I never took the risk. I just asked my recommenders to fill them out in addition to the LOR and then bought them REALLY nice thank-you gifts.

Fushi.tarazu said:
Any tips? Regrets? Advice?
Yeah, get started early (hence the making you look up your answer to the first question about the LORs :p

Best of luck!

hi, do you guys know any schools that do not require recommendation letters?
I heard that pharmcas is coming up with LOR section in the application, but when is this going to start?
it's hard to find a good recommendors, especially if applying to many schools

jjunyi83 said:
I heard that pharmcas is coming up with LOR section in the application, but when is this going to start?
it's hard to find a good recommendors, especially if applying to many schools

not really. they just use the same letters for each school. the attachment form is so simple; takes like a minute (proivded that you the applicant has filled out your 411) for the LOR writer to check some boxes.

jjunyi83 said:

University of Southern Nevada did not require letters this year. Long Island University does not require them, either, though this year they recommended them to make your application more competitive since so many people applied.

university of maryland doesnt require lors

What purpose do LORs serve when most of your LOR writers usually end up telling you to write your own.... at least mine did. There's hardly any real measure to it. You can be an awesome student but failed to do the proper ass-kissing to the right people...

Yes its a pain the butt, but I really hope you don't limit your choice of schools by whether they need LORs :(

oh.. and just to add.. when you ask your recommendation letter writers for a letter, you should provide them with a PACKET of information about YOU. For example, your pharmcas essay, your resume, your grades, and maybe a short blurb on what you would want to be included in your letter. It would make it reeeeeeeeally easier on them (they wouldn't have to pull stuff out of their butts) and better for you (you get a more personalized letter from it). So yes.. it's ALMOST as if you are writing your own letter.. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Butler in Indianapolis does not require lor's, interviews or anything really

I have volunteered/shadowed 2 pharmacists...one at a Sav-on and the other at a private pharmacy. I've put in about equal hours at both. Which type of LOR would look better to pharmacy schools? Do pharmacy schools look more favorably upon letters from private pharmacists or pharmacists that work in places like Sav-on, etc.? Or does it not matter? Thanks :)

It doesn't matter

star777 said:
I have volunteered/shadowed 2 pharmacists...one at a Sav-on and the other at a private pharmacy. I've put in about equal hours at both. Which type of LOR would look better to pharmacy schools? Do pharmacy schools look more favorably upon letters from private pharmacists or pharmacists that work in places like Sav-on, etc.? Or does it not matter? Thanks :)

Did either of them graduate from any of the schools you are applying to? All things being equal I would choose that one. Pick the person you spent, not the most time with, but the most productive time with. Did you see any unusual or challenging things moreso at one place than another? Talk on a personal level about your goals to one more than another? Lastly, agreeing with the above, which one seems like they will write the best, most positive and professionally sounding letter and get it in ON TIME. :D

star777 said:

How about one from each? :smuggrin:

I would ask both of them just in case someone is late in gettting them back to you in a timely fashion or the pharm school loses one (yes, this has happened to me and believe me it was a hassle to get another copy sent in before the deadline). Although some schools will not accept additional letters...you can still keep the extra in your own personal files... you never know when it might come in handy. Dont forget to write a thank you letter to your recommender afterwards.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

But, the problem with getting a letter from both of them is that both letters will be sent to Pharmcas and some schools only want ONE letter from a pharmacist. Won't that be a problem if they end up receiving TWO??

I thought recommendations are suppose to be sent directly to the schools, not to Pharmcas. I sent my recommendations to the schools, not to Pharmcas. :confused:

I would get from both and have them give you a copy and the original in a sealed envelope and let you send it.....then pick the better one........that's what i did.

Do you think admission committees would mind if I got a letter of recommendation from an english teacher? I know the teacher would write me a nice, sincere letter about my character.

Your references should be either professional or academic. As long as the English teacher is teaching at the collegiate level, it should be ok. If they are not a college professor, they should not be writing you a LOR, unless you are applying for a 6 year program right out of high school. :)

I thought about asking an english professor but then I started to think about the fact that the science professors probably get asked for letters for pharmacy school far more often . Therefore, they probably have more experience writing such things.

bananaface said:
Your references should be either professional or academic. As long as the English teacher is teaching at the collegiate level, it should be ok. If they are not a college professor, they should not be writing you a LOR, unless you are applying for a 6 year program right out of high school. :)

Nope, bananaface :) One of the people I asked was neither a healthcare professional nor a teacher at a collegiate level and I still got into all the schools, including UCSD and UCSF. ;) The key is just to get someone who knows you superbly well--in my case, this person was the head academic counselor at my old high school, knew me for 7 years (14 y.o. to 21 y.o.) in many aspects of life, and wrote me a 3 page single spaced letter of rec (yeah, i know it's kind of long =/). No, I wasn't desperate or ran out of people; I just knew she would add the PERFECT touch in the painting of a picture of me to the Ad Com. When I asked for my LORs, I typed up a very very specific 1-2 page guideline for them that has a million questions that I thought they should address about me in my LOR--try that, it apparently worked!! :p :thumbup:

I'm confused about letters of recommendations. Do the professors/whom ever writes your LOR, just fill out some form, or do they actually sit down and write a page or two about you off the top of their head.

It depends on the schools where you're applying too.

For some schools, forms are provided, others they should write something, but two pages is a lot though !.

I submitted the info/email for one of my references, but it's been almost a week now and he says he hasn't received anything yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for pharmcas to contact the reference by email?

tricia said:
I submitted the info/email for one of my references, but it's been almost a week now and he says he hasn't received anything yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for pharmcas to contact the reference by email?

I thought the references received an email immediately. My reference received an email the same day I typed in his info.

megrxgirl said:
I thought the references received an email immediately. My reference received an email the same day I typed in his info.
4-5 weeks

tricia said:

It is same day, not 4-5 weeks. Delete him and send again. They'll get it in their inbox the moment you send it.

crossjb said:
It is same day, not 4-5 weeks. Delete him and send again. They'll get it in their inbox the moment you send it.

I agree. The email is sent the same day you input the reference.

I agree with what most of the posters have said. My references received the forms from Pharmcas within a day or two after I submitted their email addresses. I know this b/c i sent my professors an email to follow up. Check your reference email to see if you have it correctly.

It should be immediate (or close to it--at least same day). One of mine didn't get his because it was blocked by his junkmail filter. Ask your reference to check their junkmail folder. I had to call PharmCAS and get them to resend the email because my reference had already deleted their junk mail. The people at PharmCAS were actually very nice, and they resent the email and he got it that same day.

Just a quick question for all the students who are already in pharmacy school- I have received a letter of recommendation from one of my teacher's who is planning ot retire soon. Her contact information will most likely become obsolete (i.e. her campus e-mail and number). Does anyone know if the California pharmacy school admissions committee (UCSF, UOP, USC, Western...) will directly contact recommenders about their recommendations? Thanks in advance.

raymadeyourday said:
Just a quick question for all the students who are already in pharmacy school- I have received a letter of recommendation from one of my teacher's who is planning ot retire soon. Her contact information will most likely become obsolete (i.e. her campus e-mail and number). Does anyone know if the California pharmacy school admissions committee (UCSF, UOP, USC, Western...) will directly contact recommenders about their recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Honestly, i don't think they will have time to contact every reference for every student that applies... thats way too much work. I think they would only call if they found the letter questionable. thats just my take on it.

ughh. I don't know what to do about getting letters. I transferred schools last semester to another state and I haven't taken any science classes at my new school. I can get one lor from my calculus teacher but what am I going to do about a science lor? I do not work at a pharmacy, so I can't get one from a pharmacist either. Some of the schools I'm applying to require 3 letters. Any suggestions...please.

reese said:
ughh. I don't know what to do about getting letters. I transferred schools last semester to another state and I haven't taken any science classes at my new school. I can get one lor from my calculus teacher but what am I going to do about a science lor? I do not work at a pharmacy, so I can't get one from a pharmacist either. Some of the schools I'm applying to require 3 letters. Any suggestions...please.

Can you contact your old professors? If you work in healthcare you could get a letter from someone you work for... or shadow a pharmacist and get a letter that way. Otherwise, try to work with a science professor on research or something or apply to be their TA and obtain your letter through that. I don't know... it's a stretch I guess but worth a try :) good luck!

i got one from a TA(i got interviews and stuff so i guess it was fine). but i used a TA b/c i didn't have that many people for recs. i was in the same shoes as you, but instead of transferring, i just never talked to any of my teachers - i was one of those guys who would split the minute class ended. :thumbup:

Hi,

This maybe a stupid question, but I just recieved a postcard stating that the COP I applied to have recieved my application, transcript, etc. except for the letters of REC. I asked the profs and pharmacists a while ago, and also provided them with a stamped envelope and which they replied that they would write it within that week (I'm only positive that my pharmacist did, he's on top of things). But my question is how would the COP know that the letter is for you? Was I supposed to write my name or something on the letter, such as "FOR: NAME"??

Thanks in advance.

ok so the person writing my LOR is having trouble submitting her letter online. I've tried to figure it out by calling pharmCAS but they said that all she needs to do is log in and hit the submit button. she has all the information saved already but the LOR hasn't been submitted so my file says the status is incomplete. She has also contacted pharmCAS herself but she still can't send it in. I'm getting worried because Nov 1 is almost here. Does anyone else have the same problem or have some insight that they can share with me? Anything at all will be much appreciated!!

Many pharmacy schools require a recommendation from your employer or someone in a health field. So now I have a dilemma. Should I ask some pharmacist at a hospital pharmacy where I have been volunteering for past few months (they do not know me very well) or should I ask my employer who I have been working for few years (who knows me very well but my job is not related to healthcare) to write me LOR?

I would not ask my current employer unless they are ok for you to leave for school. Some employer will start to look for replacement once you smell that you are leaving. I would not alarm tem until I get an acceptance letter from school. I just want to make sure that you company badge work until the day your give them your resignation letter.

I don't have much pharm experience besides shadowing a few pharmacists, so I asked my employer (which is related to healthcare but not pharmacy) and things work out ok for me. Although you should check out the letter of rec page on PHARMCAS or the school page. It'll tell you what kind of recommendation the school looks for. But don't be scared by them. LECOM said that they required a letter from a pharmacists and I didn't have one, but they accepted me anyway. Good luck.

janeno said:
Many pharmacy schools require a recommendation from your employer or someone in a health field. So now I have a dilemma. Should I ask some pharmacist at a hospital pharmacy where I have been volunteering for past few months (they do not know me very well) or should I ask my employer who I have been working for few years (who knows me very well but my job is not related to healthcare) to write me LOR?

My boss knows that I will be applying for pharmacy school, and it is not a problem.

I took "professional recommendation" to mean anything related to employment. I worked in financial services part-time for a good part of my pre-pharm. I asked my supervisor to write an LOR. It didn't keep me out of pharmacy school. I think that has more to do with my overall profile, but as long as the "professional" writes a good recommendation I don't think it has to be a pharmacist.

you should definitely ask whomever you feel knows you best and is likely to give you a strong recommendation. schools will specify if they want a pharmacists LOR. for my professional LOR, i had my work study supervisor (in the athletics office, nothing to do with healthcare) write me one because i had worked for him for four years.