LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Firstly, I am applying through pharmcas so everything below is a pharmcas issue.

Are pharm schools relaxed about recommendations? For example, Shenandoah University wants a recommendation from an "employer" but other colleges dont want a recommendation from a "no body" employer. They would rather ask for a recommendation from someone science related. My pharmcas recommendations are going to be 1.) Research advisor 2.) Composite Letter 3.) Hopefully pharmacist or if not that then Organic professor.

So I guess my overall issue is are MOST pharm schools anal about their requirements for recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Use the guide that PharmCAS put together and spend a few minutes browsing the school's website. They often have enough information that will clue you in on what they are looking for.

Be sure to write down all the requirements and make sure your three LoR's meet all the individual school requirements, otherwise they will likely consider it an incomplete/inacurate application and toss it out the window as it's an easy bar to set.

Like KUMoose said, be sure to follow all the application guidelines to the letter, no matter how silly they seem. When a school is looking for an easy first cut, you know they are looking for people who didnt follow directions.

Members don't see this ad :)
eleanor_rigby said:
I'm in the process of applying at the moment and need recommendations from two science professors for one of the schools I'm applying to. The problem is that I took a year off in order to get work experience in various pharmacy settings and to travel, so I haven't seen my science professors for quite some time now. Actually, none of them really know me since I never had the need to meet with them after class.

I'm currently taking a medical microbiology class, but it's really difficult to get the professors attention and for her to get to know me as an individual. Everything so far is pretty clear cut and I haven't had any problems with learning the material, so I don't really have the need to go to her office after class. How do others form relationships with their professors in order for them to be better informed of your personal characterstics without having to constantly go to their office to ask questions to which you already know the answers? She isn't necessarily an easy going person.

i'm pretty much in the same situation. i guess all you can do is ask them if they'd feel comfortable writing you a letter of recommendation, tell them that you feel you're doing well in their class and maybe attach your transcript in an email or something so they have something to look at, use it like an ice breaker

Like Malkav33 said, you could also send them your resume and PS so I get a better knowledge of why you want to go into pharmacy, that would help with the letter.

I'm really confused, sorry for the stupid question, but I'm meeting up with my physiology professor next week and am totallly confused about what to bring to the meeting. I already asked him for a LOR through e-mail (because he was out of town for spring quarter and I took the course winter quarter) and he agreed to meet with me next week so he could get to know me better.

My question is, what do I bring? I know to bring my PS and resume but what about the actual letter writing stuff? Do I bring envelopes and stamps or I'm just really confused about how this all works. Am I supposed to bring the materials for all the schools I'm applying to? :confused:

And if its any help, I'm applying to UOP, Touro, USC, UCSF, Loma Linda, Western and Midwestern

Thanks a lot guys for any help, I'd be totally lost w/o this msg board.

PolarBear21 said:
I'm really confused, sorry for the stupid question, but I'm meeting up with my physiology professor next week and am totallly confused about what to bring to the meeting. I already asked him for a LOR through e-mail (because he was out of town for spring quarter and I took the course winter quarter) and he agreed to meet with me next week so he could get to know me better.

My question is, what do I bring? I know to bring my PS and resume but what about the actual letter writing stuff? Do I bring envelopes and stamps or I'm just really confused about how this all works. Am I supposed to bring the materials for all the schools I'm applying to? :confused:

And if its any help, I'm applying to UOP, Touro, USC, UCSF, Loma Linda, Western and Midwestern

Thanks a lot guys for any help, I'd be totally lost w/o this msg board.

I just provided them with the envelopes and stamps.

Aren't most of the schools you're applying to through pharmcas? If that's the case, then you can have pharmcas send an email to your evaluator that gives them an online LOR to fill out and submit.

When I asked for LORs for non-pharmcas schools, I provided my personal statement, CV, self-addressed envelopes, and asked the evaluators to sign their name over the seal. Paper wise, I think evaluators will use school or professional letterhead when writing the LOR.

ajmataz said:
Aren't most of the schools you're applying to through pharmcas? If that's the case, then you can have pharmcas send an email to your evaluator that gives them an online LOR to fill out and submit.

When I asked for LORs for non-pharmcas schools, I provided my personal statement, CV, self-addressed envelopes, and asked the evaluators to sign their name over the seal. Paper wise, I think evaluators will use school or professional letterhead when writing the LOR.

What he said...

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Would it be wise to bring your official/unofficial transcript, if you GPA is mediocre, but of course assuming you've done fairly well in the class and along with the things stated above?

Hi, I'm going to apply this year and I need a pharm LOR before August 1st. I have three options and they all have their pros and cons.

Option A - Ask my pharmacy internship from last year (spring quarter) at the veterinary school pharmacy. Pro is I'm finished with the internship and its already on my transcript, con is I'm not sure if they remember me because last year I wasn't really into pharmacy and I wasn't all the enthusiastic (ie I didn't ask lots of questions, I just did what I was told).

Option B - Ask my internship right now, but I've only worked there 1 week (and I only work 4 hours a week lol), so I'm guessing if the pharmacist even agrees to write me a LOR (pretty unlikely actually) its going to subpar to say the least.

Option C - My sister is a pharmacist and she says she can get her friend to let me shadow him for a weekend and he can write me a really good letter of rec. Pro is I'll get a really good LOR out of it. Con is I'd have to travel to Santa barbara for the weekend (I live in Northern California) and also I feel like its kinda cheating no? I just get a little iffy about doing this option because it feels sort of unfair? Do you think so? My friend said its ok since I'm actually going to shadow. What do you think?

I'm really confused about which one to do. :confused: Can anyone offer me their opinions. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to also ask.. would it look sort of weird that I have two internships yet I ask a LOR from someone I only shadowed from? Its because I just started my retail internship and I don't really know anyone there.

Thanks

DustinfromCA said:
Hi, I'm going to apply this year and I need a pharm LOR before August 1st. I have three options and they all have their pros and cons.

Option A - Ask my pharmacy internship from last year (spring quarter) at the veterinary school pharmacy. Pro is I'm finished with the internship and its already on my transcript, con is I'm not sure if they remember me because last year I wasn't really into pharmacy and I wasn't all the enthusiastic (ie I didn't ask lots of questions, I just did what I was told).

Option B - Ask my internship right now, but I've only worked there 1 week (and I only work 4 hours a week lol), so I'm guessing if the pharmacist even agrees to write me a LOR (pretty unlikely actually) its going to subpar to say the least.

Option C - My sister is a pharmacist and she says she can get her friend to let me shadow him for a weekend and he can write me a really good letter of rec. Pro is I'll get a really good LOR out of it. Con is I'd have to travel to Santa barbara for the weekend (I live in Northern California) and also I feel like its kinda cheating no? I just get a little iffy about doing this option because it feels sort of unfair? Do you think so? My friend said its ok since I'm actually going to shadow. What do you think?

I'm really confused about which one to do. :confused: Can anyone offer me their opinions. Thanks in advance.

Dustin....its good to see you have a conscience & are concerned about ethics because that is a goodly amount of what pharmacy is about.

Now..you've also learned something about yourself - you've had the ability to only give "just so much" when you weren't that interested & now you can see that you may have burned a bridge, so to speak.

However, not all is lost, IMO. You can still fix this to perhaps your benefit.
I would ask your internship to write you a letter, but I'd personally go to them & talk with the individual. Be frank - tell him/her that altho it was all overwhelming at the time & you felt a bit out of your element...so you just tried to keep up.....now that you've thought about it, you'd like to pursue pharmacy. You can mention that you admired the work you observed the professionals doing & you hope you could become skilled enough with the right education to do the same. Flattery is not a bad thing! Now, if you were just being lazy & they knew it - you're sunk....don't get that letter.

Your current position might give you an ok letter. Are you at least enthusiastic now? Are you willing to work & do what's asked of you? Are you on time & pleasant to everyone? I can tell when someone is interested & altho my letter won't indicate a long professional relationship, I can get across your enthusiasm for the profession.

Now...with your ethical situation. Well - a trip to Santa Barbara right now would be beautiful. The sun is warm, the ocean beautiful & your sister can buy you dinner! Go shadow this guy & ask him stuff - why did he decide to become a pharmacist. What does he like & dislike about his job? What gives him the most gratification. What does he see himself doing in 10 years? Would he do it again? These are valid questions & you asking him gives him insight into what your interest & enthusiasm is for the career.

Now - learn from this! Pharmacy is a small community. Don't burn any bridges - you never know who you may run into later. When you're in a job - be enthusiastic or get out. No one is trapped. The big question is - do you really want this opportunity? If so...decide to be willing to do what it takes to get it & that will mean over the course of your education doing lots of tasks which are unpleasant.

Good luck!

Why don't you try getting a LOR from your current internship after you've worked there for a month or so? Its not late if you submit your apps in early september.

Sorry DustinfromCA, but I also have sort of the same question and after reading your thread, I thought I'd ask about my situation (and I didn't want to ask it on your thread, I thought that would be rude :oops: ). I'm trying to figure out who I should get a pharmacist LOR from too, and here are my choices:

1. I volunteer at a pharmacy 12 hours/week and it's been 3 weeks only.
*Pro: I've been talking to the head pharmacist a lot and he really knows how enthusiastic I am about pharmacy and thinks highly of me. He's been really good about trying to help me get something out of the experience (other than stocking shelves), so he's been quizzing me on drugs, applications, and also interview questions that they got, so I guess he knows my intellectual side and that I'm serious about pursuing pharmacy. Also, I think his LOR would be better.
*Con: I've only been there for 3 weeks :scared: !

2. During high school, I volunteered at a pharmacy for 2 years during my sophomore and junior years. I'm thinking about volunteering back there again, so I might have a month or two time frame of working with them.
*Pro: The pharmacists have known me for over 7 years, one of them (the one I would ask) wrote my college LOR, and I keep in good touch with them.
*Con: I haven't volunteered there since high school (over 4 years), so they don't necessarily know how capable I am of being a pharmacist. He would write a great letter, but it would be based on how I was back then and the fact that I visited them throughout college and kept in touch. Like I said, I could volunteer again, but I'm not sure if his opinion will mimic the other pharmacists opinion of me.

I'm leaning towards the first pharmacist because he really thinks I'll be great and knows how I am now, but I'm just not sure because I've only been there for a month and the pharmacy schools may not trust his opinion as much.

Better but not as trusted (maybe) LOR, or Trusted but not as good LOR? What do you guys think :confused: ?

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the help! :D

Thanks a lot for the advice!

The problem I'm having with option B is, I just found out on my first day that the main pharmacist only works every other sunday and those are the only days I work. In her place is a random pharmacist who is always different every other week. So option B is looking really bad.

I am trying to get the LOR before August 1st because University of the Pacific is on rolling admissions and if I turn it in later I won't make it into their first tier of applicants, and my GPA isnt really all that great and I need all the help I can get.

And with option A, I was on time and friendly, but I don't think I was particularly memorable, I didn't ask questions or anything.

I'm thinking of going with option C and just explaining my situation if asked in an interview.

Thanks again guys.

I'll be very thankful for anymore opinions

Well you're in much better shape than I am :) .. both recs would be great IMO, the first guy sounds like he really likes you and the second one has known you for 7 years.

I'd personally go with the first guy, I think a LOR from more recent experience will be more beneficial to your application and plus you said he'd probably write you a better one.

DustinfromCA said:
Thanks a lot for the advice!

The problem I'm having with option B is, I just found out on my first day that the main pharmacist only works every other sunday and those are the only days I work. In her place is a random pharmacist who is always different every other week. So option B is looking really bad.

I am trying to get the LOR before August 1st because University of the Pacific is on rolling admissions and if I turn it in later I won't make it into their first tier of applicants, and my GPA isnt really all that great and I need all the help I can get.

And with option A, I was on time and friendly, but I don't think I was particularly memorable, I didn't ask questions or anything.

I'm thinking of going with option C and just explaining my situation if asked in an interview.

Thanks again guys.

I'll be very thankful for anymore opinions

Thanks for your advice! If you go with option C, I would leave out the little thing about it being your sister's friend if asked in interviews ;) . But definitely don't do option A because you want a memorable LOR. Or...why don't you apply to tier 2 for UOP, and ask option B to write one for you. Even though you don't see her every week, she might ask the opinions of the other pharmacists and if you really stand out and ask for responsibilities, it might turn out great! Sorry I'm not much help, but good luck!!! :D

I would get both.

During UOP's supplemental application workshop a couple of weeks ago, someone asked a similiar question. They said to turn in both.

Hi all
I apoligize if this has been mentioned before and I missed it.
I am so confused once again.
I'm volunteering in a pharmacy, and I want to get a LOR from the pharmacist this summer, but I will only be applying with pharmcas in a year, like next summer. And apparently, the LOR form needs to be printed out from pharmcas, or electronically submitted by the recommendor (which the website says is preferred). does this mean I have to open a pharmcas account now, a whole year in advance? is there any way around this? (I am only asking about pharmcas schools)

also, some pharm schools do not even specifically state that they want a pharmacist LOR, and some will only take 2 or 3 LORs. if there are 2 LORS, I would rather have one from a professor, and one from my resident director who knew me for a whole year while I was an RA and worked directly with me (rather than a pharmacist who knows me briefly in passing for only a summer)
but then does it look bad to volunteer for a few months in pharmacy, but not to have LOR from that place? I dont think schools will accept more than their stated number of LORs...

also, some schools do not require the pcat, if you take it and do well and submit it to them, does this help your chances, or does it really not affect your application? like if your GPA is great, you have volunteering and extracuriculars, etc, and the pcat is not required, is the pcat grade going to signficantly affect the outcome?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you all may have..sorry for the lengthy post!! :eek:

AtomicLuv said:
Hi all
I apoligize if this has been mentioned before and I missed it.
I am so confused once again.
I'm volunteering in a pharmacy, and I want to get a LOR from the pharmacist this summer, but I will only be applying with pharmcas in a year, like next summer. And apparently, the LOR form needs to be printed out from pharmcas, or electronically submitted by the recommendor (which the website says is preferred). does this mean I have to open a pharmcas account now, a whole year in advance? is there any way around this? (I am only asking about pharmcas schools)

also, some pharm schools do not even specifically state that they want a pharmacist LOR, and some will only take 2 or 3 LORs. if there are 2 LORS, I would rather have one from a professor, and one from my resident director who knew me for a whole year while I was an RA and worked directly with me (rather than a pharmacist who knows me briefly in passing for only a summer)
but then does it look bad to volunteer for a few months in pharmacy, but not to have LOR from that place? I dont think schools will accept more than their stated number of LORs...

also, some schools do not require the pcat, if you take it and do well and submit it to them, does this help your chances, or does it really not affect your application? like if your GPA is great, you have volunteering and extracuriculars, etc, and the pcat is not required, is the pcat grade going to signficantly affect the outcome?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you all may have..sorry for the lengthy post!! :eek:

for the pharmacist, keep in touch. or tell her to write a LOR right now but save it and use it for next yr.

i think if u have pharm experience, u HAVE to have a LOR from them b/c that def. makes u look better (ur lucky b/c i don't have pharm exp). but for schools that don't require it, i don't think they'll question you. they say pick ppl who knows you best. if the pharmacist doesn't really know u, what's the point? but always have a science prof, esp. from a core class.

for schools that don't require the PCAT, it doesn't help/hurt at all b/c they don't look at the score one bit (i emailed them). only USC will look at it favorably if u do well. if u don't , it doesn't really affect their decision.

but the PCAT might matter in the next 2-3 yrs when these schools begin to want it. but right now, it has ZERO importance in their decision.

thanks for the suggestion, but wont I look odd asking a pharmacist that barely knows me to write a recommendation now and then to give it to me in a year? I cant take it now because it will have to be on the pharmcas sheet anyway...and I would look even weirder telling them to wait a year to fill it out electronically online!
and what do u mean if I have pharm experience, I must have a lor? if i send in that one, I wont be able to send in a diff one that I want... :)

I would wait until you know the pharmacist pretty well first then ask them if they would feel comfortable writing a lor for you the following year. You could go and visit them every now and then over the year, just so they remember you. Maybe get their contact info too.

I don't think it would be too weird...just let them know, I'm sure they'll understand :)

I think that if you have pharmacy experience, it would definitely be beneficial to get a lor from a pharmacist.

Also, referring to your last statement...I think you can send in an additional pharmacist lor directly to the school :)

Hope this helps.

ok, schools don't like LORs from co-workers.

but im doin research with this doctor from china (MD). she's not a postdoc or research associate or anything. but she's not the PI of the lab.

however, i have worked very closely w/ her.

so do i ask the PI fo the lab or her to write me the LOR?

doublehh03 said:
ok, schools don't like LORs from co-workers.

but im doin research with this doctor from china (MD). she's not a postdoc or research associate or anything. but she's not the PI of the lab.

however, i have worked very closely w/ her.

so do i ask the PI fo the lab or her to write me the LOR?

You should ask whoever knows you better

I noticed someone asked a similar question and I am actually in the same situation sort of, I'd like to know what you guys think of my situation specifically.

So I've had a previous internship my sophmore year in college, but was not commited to pharmacy then (like the other poster) and I recently used that person as a reference for a job application and when they called her, she did not even remember who I was. Bad sign huh?

I currently have an internship now, but cannot ask anyone for a LOR because I happen to work on a day where the store pharmacist does not work. Every week is always a floater and I never really get a chance to ask them.

Those options seem bleak, and here is another option I have. The pharmacist at my local pharmacy knows who I am and I talk to them and ask a lot of questions about pharmacy. I can't actually shadow there though because the store has legal policies prohibiting this. He says he'll write a letter for me if I want, but I'm weary.

What do you guys think pharmschools will think if I've had two previous internships and I get a letter of rec from someone I have never even shadowed for. I just know the pharmacist because I come in with my parents and ask questions about his job, etc.

I really appreciate any advice.

RyanRyan said:
I noticed someone asked a similar question and I am actually in the same situation sort of, I'd like to know what you guys think of my situation specifically.

So I've had a previous internship my sophmore year in college, but was not commited to pharmacy then (like the other poster) and I recently used that person as a reference for a job application and when they called her, she did not even remember who I was. Bad sign huh?

I currently have an internship now, but cannot ask anyone for a LOR because I happen to work on a day where the store pharmacist does not work. Every week is always a floater and I never really get a chance to ask them.

Those options seem bleak, and here is another option I have. The pharmacist at my local pharmacy knows who I am and I talk to them and ask a lot of questions about pharmacy. I can't actually shadow there though because the store has legal policies prohibiting this. He says he'll write a letter for me if I want, but I'm weary.

What do you guys think pharmschools will think if I've had two previous internships and I get a letter of rec from someone I have never even shadowed for. I just know the pharmacist because I come in with my parents and ask questions about his job, etc.

two questions:
can you even shadown behind the counter?
how aren't you in pharmacy school and able to be an internship?!

Well I know you can't volunteer there because I asked, I'm not sure if I can step behind the counter, perhaps I'll ask next time.

Its not a real internship, its sort of like volunteering but they call it an internship because you get internship notation on your undergrad transcript. I get these internship through our internship career center.

i think you should get as many lor as possible. even if the pharmacist doesn't remember you...it isn't your fault...it is probably the fact that her head is full of drug names.

if you are only allowed a set amount you should get all the lor and compare to see with pharmacist did a better letter of recommendation.

The problem is, the LORS are anonymous and I won't be able to see what they've written. From what I hear.. a mediocre LOR is a horrible LOR. I'm really confused about what to do. :eek:

Have you ever asked anyone for a LOR and had them reject your request?

RyanRyan said:

Is there anybody else at your current internship who could potentially write an LOR for you (ie. senior technician, store manager, etc.) I'm a lead technician at my store, and if I had ever been in the position of working with a good volunteer/shadow/whatever, I would have been happy to write one. Maybe the store pharmacist would write it for you, if you were able to facilitate him/her talking to some of the floaters who have actually worked with you.

This didn't happen to me, but my calculus teacher said that he will tell you up front that he will write a letter that does not recommend you. So, yes, there are people who will not be willing to write good letters.

RyanRyan said:
The problem is, the LORS are anonymous and I won't be able to see what they've written. From what I hear.. a mediocre LOR is a horrible LOR. I'm really confused about what to do. :eek:

ugh that is terrible. i didn't know that!

sorry i am no help. i tried lol.

Asking for LORs should be like asking the woman you love for marriage. Before you even get to the point of asking, you should already know the answer.

Lay a good foundation with the professor. I had the same professor for 2 different honors humanity classes (which was not coincidence) - The last one finishing in the spring. During this past semester, I decided he needed to be one of my LORs (non science professor). I started hanging around after class, initiating conversation. I ensured that my final grades were A's, and that he was pleased with my performace. I would consider him a mentor, and I think he would agree. When I knocked on his office door this afternoon, I'm pretty sure he knew why I was there. He agreed and we talked for an hour thereafter about school and my future.

The outcome of that meeting had already been arranged long before I walked thorugh the door - take your time now and get the LORs you really want.

~above~

try not to get a B. some teachers WILL not write one for you. i know this lab teacher who says students w/ a B or B+ won't get one b/c he knows how adcoms see it b/c most profs write for those w/ As primarily.

I didnt do so well in my science courses at my uc. Is it ok to ask my jc professors for LORs?? or will it not look as good because its from a jc??

doublehh03 said:
try not to get a B. some teachers WILL not write one for you. i know this lab teacher who says students w/ a B or B+ won't get one b/c he knows how adcoms see it b/c most profs write for those w/ As primarily.

That's not necessarily true. I graduated from UCLA and with the competitiveness around here, was HAPPY just to get B's. I had no problems getting letters of rec with getting B's in the class. In fact, two of my recommenders were from classes I received B's in. I ended up getting two interviews in CA schools.

I agree with the previous poster - Its not about the final grade (although that helps), but rather the professor's opinion of your performance.

That opinion is ultimately what matters in the letter, not the grade you received in their class.

aboveliquidice said:
I agree with the previous poster - Its not about the final grade (although that helps), but rather the professor's opinion of your performance.

That opinion is ultimately what matters in the letter, not the grade you received in their class.

indeed, it is not reflective upon the grade you receive for the class but rather on the opinion of the writer of yourself, so get to know your professor or whoever you plan to get a letter from...........

Hello all,
I just found this forum and think it's great. I want to apply to a few pharmacy schools and two of them have different requirements for their LORs. Nova requires a science, and a liberal arts professor, and Touro requires two science professors. I have already gotten one science professor to write me a letter, but I don't know if I should get another science professor or a liberal arts one. I took calc last summer ('05) and I'm not sure if the prof remembers me well. My organic prof I had for two semesters and he remembers my name and says hello on campus so I think he would be a stronger reference. Has anyone else had this problem? Would I then be "out of the running" at Nova because I didn't get a liberal arts reference? Thanks for your replies.

I just e-submitted my application yesterday and one of my LORs says "still pending." I'm almost positive that this evaluator sent this in several weeks ago. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, how long does it take for PharmCas to update that they have RECEIVED transcripts--not that they have processed them, because I know that can take up to five weeks. Does anyone know?

to answer your transcript question: it took two weeks from the day the transcript was sent from my schools.

i don't know about the lor question sorry. one of mine says incomplete :/

luckycloud5 said:
to answer your transcript question: it took two weeks from the day the transcript was sent from my schools.

i don't know about the lor question sorry. one of mine says incomplete :/

My first transcript took a couple of weeks to get updated in June, but my second transcript was updated the day it was received (about a week ago).

As for LORs, if you didn't do it electronically, it'll probably take about the same amount of time as the transcripts did, I'm guessing.

senzabee said:
My first transcript took a couple of weeks to get updated in June, but my second transcript was updated the day it was received (about a week ago).

As for LORs, if you didn't do it electronically, it'll probably take about the same amount of time as the transcripts did, I'm guessing.

I did mine electronically, though. That's why I'm a little concerned. I'll wait until the beginning of August. If the status still hasn't changed, I'll be calling some people. ;)

Do you know if your reference has a letter all written out for you... ready to submit? Mine didn't take too long. Maybe 2 weeks, be patient =)