Pharmacist LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atnguy13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A pharmacy school I would like to apply to recommends a LOR from a pharmacist, which I don't have. Would anyone like to share their experience on how they received a letter without being a pharmacy tech I can do on short notice? I was told that shadowing isn't an option because of HIPPA. Even if I got a chance to shadow a pharmacist, is it too much to ask after only meeting me for a couple days, would it even be a strong letter for someone who hardly knows me?

Members don't see this ad.

A pharmacy school I would like to apply to recommends a LOR from a pharmacist, which I don't have. Would anyone like to share their experience on how they received a letter without being a pharmacy tech I can do on short notice? I was told that shadowing isn't an option because of HIPPA. Even if I got a chance to shadow a pharmacist, is it too much to ask after only meeting me for a couple days, would it even be a strong letter for someone who hardly knows me?

I postponed my app due to wanting to get my tech license first

Last edited:
I postponed my app due to wanting to get my tech license first, then started off as a pharmacy cashier for about 2 years and then worked 2 more years as a pharmacy tech and finally am able to confidently say that I have received 2 great letters of rec from 2 different pharmacists in charge (1 from my pharmacy manger). Therefore, I would definitely say that it would not be a great idea asking someone you shadowed for a few days, unless it'ys been at least 1 year.
ue
yes

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't get one. There's not much you can do and shadowing someone just for a letter is a real stretch.

If I were in your shoes I would get a pharm tech job. You might be able to get a LOR out of it but the experience will be much more valueable.

Last edited:
You would be surprised how many students who get into Pharm school don't have tech exp. I would try an independent pharmacy if you could and just ask to shadow/volunteer and help organize things. They sort of get to know you and you get a feel of how things are run. It is sort of late in the year though, when I did it, I started from March to August. Maybe they'll offer you to let you write a LOR for yourself and them signing it off like I've seen professors propose for undergrad to students because they're so busy.

Try and get a different healthcare professional write you a letter then, if a pharmacist is unavailable. Well, if it's possible anyways.

I didn't work in a pharmacy setting, but I worked directly with medicine and patient care and got a great letter from a very well known, well respected Doctor. My school recommended a pharmacist letter (like, all schools do), but I had a good backup instead.

Do you have anyone you can ask?