LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As the last poster stated, if the school wants a letter from a pharmacist or other specific individual, they will require it. However, if they don't specify the types of people to get letters from, I would say to get a letter from both a pharmacist and your boss (assuming the school would accept that many letters). That way the school can learn about you from someone who has seen your work habits, as well as someone who knows more about your interest in pharmacy (even though they may not know you as well).

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you and I had to choose between a person with an impressive title but who doesn't know you very well (or at all) versus a person who does not have an impressive title but knows you well, I would choose the latter. The reason is that schools are looking for thorough recommendation letters that can tell them a lot about your personality and your passion for pharmacy school. The want specific details if they can be provided. Vague recommendation letters do not impress.

To make sure that my LOR writers never run out of ideas, I wrote them all letters. After they have agreed to write me a letter, I typed up a 3-5 page letter about myself. I told them why I had chosen them to write me a letter in the introduction, I wrote about my personal background and why I have chosen pharmacy as a career. I also added unique facts about myself for each LOR writer. For my professor, I wrote down my grade in the class, my overall academic performance. For my work study supervisor, I wrote down the number of years I've worked there, what I've learned. For the pharmacist, I wrote down how long I've been working, what kind of experiences I had in the pharmacy, what I've learned, recognition I've received.
For all of my letters, I wrote about all of my extracurricular activities (not just listing). On the last page, I wrote down a detailed description of how I wanted my letters, where they were to be sent, etc. I gave this long letter to them with a gift such as a box of chocolates. Although writing the letter was a lot of work, I think it really helped my LOR writers to know me better and thus, ease the stress of thinking of things to write about. It gives them specific examples to bring up while they're writing which can make it seem like they know you very well even if they do not.

I hope this helps! :) Good luck! :luck:

Hello Everyone,

I was thinking of getting a few of my pharmacists and teachers to write LOR for me, should they be hand written or typed. What sort of info should the LOR contain?...and how long should it be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome.

Type-written = professional image.

Usually LORs have an accompanying questionaire that will guide the recommender as to what the letter should contain.

LORs should be as long as necessary to explain your strengths, possibly your weaknesses, and your suitability for a professional degree program.

Don't worry about LORs until you've started the application process. Many schools use PharmCAS for applications, some do not - but all explain what's due, when, and what it should look like. The key is to do your research for the schools you're applying to.

Good luck,
Troy

ConGaiPharmD said:
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking of getting a few of my pharmacists and teachers to write LOR for me, should they be hand written or typed. What sort of info should the LOR contain?...and how long should it be?

Full page, on official letterhead, typed is more professional, say how they know you and why you are wonderful, and have them chuck in a business card, works wonders ;)

I've written many LORs. You don't need to tell your writers what is needed - they'll probably know. However, if they ask...it should definitely be typewritten. It should include a comment on their assessment of your interest in pharmacy, how you approach your academic or work challenges (depending upon who is writing - an instructor or pharmacist you are working with) and a comment on your personal strengths.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Is it ok if I ask for LOR from another pharmacist that i know, not the one where i'm volunteering at? I do not get to know him much...he seems careless and busy with all his meetings and stuff. Will the adcom question or give a negative look on that?

What's the relationship between you and this pharmacist that you know?

JWirawan said:
What's the relationship between you and this pharmacist that you know?

She is a friend of mine. I met her 6 months ago and talked to her about my passion for pharmacy, my plan of applying and she invited me to go visit the pharmacy (Walgreen), where she is the manager. She graduated 3 years ago.

So, do you think I could ask her? I never mentioned this with her, but i want to make sure before i talk with her about this.

Thanks.

Well....the purpose of the LOR is to indicate to the reader some aspect of you, your character, your experience, your education or ability with regard to whatever you're applying to.

This individual doesn't seem to be able to indicate an opinion on any of these since: 1) she doesn't know you personally 2) she's never worked with you & 3) she doesn't know your ability to master the knowledge level required. The only thing she knows is you have indicated to her once you are passionate about pharmacy, but may/or may not know why & to what extent.

IMO - an LOR which is lukewarm is not as bad as a negative one, but surely won't gain you any advantage.....just my own opinion.

smallkitty00 said:
She is a friend of mine. I met her 6 months ago and talked to her about my passion for pharmacy, my plan of applying and she invited me to go visit the pharmacy (Walgreen), where she is the manager. She graduated 3 years ago.

So, do you think I could ask her? I never mentioned this with her, but i want to make sure before i talk with her about this.

Thanks.

In my opinion, I think it's fine to ask this pharmacist whether she would be willing to write an LOR for you. It's really up to her whether she feels she can put together a good LOR for you. You mentioned that you did discuss your passion for this profession and did seek interest in this profession. You had also visited her pharmacy, so that's about the same thing as shadowing. Basically, yes, you did gain volunteer/ technical experience at another pharmacy, but if you feel that he would not be able to write an adequate LOR for you, then dont' bother asking him. I'd ask your friend if she would write a letter for you.
Certain schools require LOR's from pharmacists. Some schools say that if you do not have any pharmacy experience, you can at least have a pharmacist "interview" you on your thoughts on the profession, why you want to get into it, etc. So yea. I think it's fine to ask your pharmacist friend. Best wishes! :luck:

Thanks Imprecious! You've been so helpful...Yeah, i think i will ask my friend, because the pharmacist I am volunteering with has a bad attitude to other volunteers (he makes fun of a Veteran volunteer, who is 81 years old), and I am afraid he will just put whatever in the LOR or maybe even refuse to help out. I do not have much interaction with other pharmacists there either. (I am thinking of volunteering at another pharmacy department....)

Anyway, thanks!

Here's the situation: I graduated in 2004 from a small, well-respected private college. I have already asked two professors I did research with to fill out LORs, and they agreed. I'm having trouble thinking of my third writer! Of my other science professors at the college, I don't know any very well. I've recently been taking Physics at my local community college, and although I have never done research with the prof, I have been in her course for about 9 months, so she knows me, and I am fresh in her mind.

Finally here's the question: Would it be better for my application to...

a) have a recommendation from a community college professor who has known me since Sept/05 solely through coursework (class only had 15-20 students, and I talked a lot). BTW, she is originally from Bulgaria, so I'm not sure about her command of English in essay-writing. OR

b) have my college track and cross-country write a reference, as a character reference. I ran all four years, he probably knows me better than any adult aside from my parents, but not through any school work, just long, hard workouts and surviving injuries (determination, etc could be mentioned).

Please let me know what you think!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you need a pharmacists recommendation?

UVaWahoo said:
do you need a pharmacists recommendation?

I don't think any of the schools I'm applying to require a pharmacist, although some recommend it. But I don't actually know any pharmacists (except my brother-in-law, but that might not fly), so I was just planning on risking it.

Do you have any work experience? Perhaps a letter from a employer emphasisizing work ethic and commitment would be good.

Baxter81 said:
Do you have any work experience? Perhaps a letter from a employer emphasisizing work ethic and commitment would be good.

Only problem is, my employer doesn't know I am pursuing pharmacy school. If he did, he would let me go now, and I would be out of a job for the next year while I'm waiting for admission!

Coach vs. third prof - any advice?!

Pharm47 said:
Only problem is, my employer doesn't know I am pursuing pharmacy school. If he did, he would let me go now, and I would be out of a job for the next year while I'm waiting for admission!

IMHO, I think you should ask the coach! You already got two LORs from two people from academic background.

Pharm47 said:

Coach

HI ALL...I WAS GOING TO APPLY TO PHARMACY SCHOOL 2 YEARS AGO AND I GOT ALL MY STUFF TOGETHER TO APPLY AND THEN GOT A JOB AND DECIDED NOT TO. I DID KEEP ALL MY STUFF THOUGH AND DECIDED TO APPLY BECAUSE I'M NOT ENJOYIN MY WORK LIKE I THOUGHT I WOULD. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GET NEW LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION OR IS SUBMITTING THE OLD ONES OK? I KNOW THIS IS PROBABLY A STUPID QUESTION BUT I HAVE THE LETTERS OF REC AND WOULD HOPE I WOULDNT HAVE TO RE-ASK MY PROFESSORS.

THANKS! :confused:

I would ask them to just update them a little bit since it has been two years, besides the submission process is online now.

And fyi, for the love of God don't write in caps.

patmcd said:
I would ask them to just update them a little bit since it has been two years, besides the submission process is online now.

And fyi, for the love of God don't write in caps.

haha sorry my bad...what do you mean the submission process is online now?

pharmcas has started a feature where all letters of recommendation can be sent via email from your recommenders to pharmcas where they will be collected and stored digitally until they are sent out to the schools you designate. most schools that participate in pharmcas want the applicants to send in their letters of recommendation via this method. however, there are still some schools that participate in pharmcas but want the old-fashioned paper letters of rec (ucsf is one school that comes to mind from last application cycle).

in regards to using your old letters, your professors will have to email a copy to pharmcas. hopefully, they will still have a copy saved on their computer (although two year old letters might be asking a lot). if not, they will have to re-type them, which i imagine might be a pain to some... =/

xnm11 said:
pharmcas has started a feature where all letters of recommendation can be sent via email from your recommenders to pharmcas where they will be collected and stored digitally until they are sent out to the schools you designate. most schools that participate in pharmcas want the applicants to send in their letters of recommendation via this method. however, there are still some schools that participate in pharmcas but want the old-fashioned paper letters of rec (ucsf is one school that comes to mind from last application cycle).

in regards to using your old letters, your professors will have to email a copy to pharmcas. hopefully, they will still have a copy saved on their computer (although two year old letters might be asking a lot). if not, they will have to re-type them, which i imagine might be a pain to some... =/

wow awsome thanks for hte information...im so outdated lol...

i have a letter of rec. question.

my ochem prof. does not write personalized letters for students, b/c she has so many students, but she offered to co-sign if a ta wrote it.

however, the ta i am asking is not in the ochem dept. but i feel that he knows me better than any of the other tas in the chem dept. (he's in anthro dept)

advice?

Should i just have the co-sign? or some other alternative?

Thanks.

luckycloud5 said:
i have a letter of rec. question.

my ochem prof. does not write personalized letters for students, b/c she has so many students, but she offered to co-sign if a ta wrote it.

however, the ta i am asking is not in the ochem dept. but i feel that he knows me better than any of the other tas in the chem dept. (he's in anthro dept)

advice?

Should i just have the co-sign? or some other alternative?

Thanks.
It would look better if you had just a professor's signature on the letter and not a TAs IMO. Look elsewhere...

JerryPharmD said:
It would look better if you had just a professor's signature on the letter and not a TAs IMO. Look elsewhere...

I don't think the TA is signing the letter, the TA is writing it and the professor is signing it.

What I would suggest is that you explain the situation to the professor. Tell her that you feel the anthro TA would write a better letter. If she says no then you can either try to find another professor who will actually write a letter or tell the chemistry TA as much about yourself as you can. Hopefully the letter that he/she writes will be reflective of your abilities as a student. But if you don't want to risk it (and I see why you wouldn't) I'd just find somebody else. I've never heard of a teacher not writing letters because of too many students. I feel somwhat that they have an obligation to do that, but that's just my opinion.

yea. my anthro ta was really nice about it, when i explained to him why i needed a ta to write it, b/c of what the prof. said.

i'll ask the prof. and see how it goes...

thanks so much for the advice. =)

To all you successful applicants and hopefuls: if anyone can advise me on who t get my 3rd letter of rec form I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I am asking the pharmacist that I work for to give me a lor, and I have asked my Organic chemistry professor.

The last one is a tough one. My options are :
1. English prof who I had three classes with. Knows me well personally for three years. She's very interested in writing the letter.
2. A freshman bio prof I had two classes with. Known me two years. She is also my advisor. By the way is it okay to ask a science prof that is also your advisor for the cali schools (USC, West, UOP, and UC's) ?
3. A second pharmacist that I started a new clerkship with. I've worked with him for a few ours once a week for two months. But he's a USC alumni and conducts interviews sometimes.

WhoaTasneem said:
To all you successful applicants and hopefuls: if anyone can advise me on who t get my 3rd letter of rec form I would greatly appreciate it.

So far I am asking the pharmacist that I work for to give me a lor, and I have asked my Organic chemistry professor.

The last one is a tough one. My options are :
1. English prof who I had three classes with. Knows me well personally for three years. She's very interested in writing the letter.
2. A freshman bio prof I had two classes with. Known me two years. She is also my advisor. By the way is it okay to ask a science prof that is also your advisor for the cali schools (USC, West, UOP, and UC's) ?
3. A second pharmacist that I started a new clerkship with. I've worked with him for a few ours once a week for two months. But he's a USC alumni and conducts interviews sometimes.

Hmm.. interesting... at first glance, I would pick the English professor since she knows you best, longest, and is also very interested in writing the letter. Though it'd be tempting to ask the USC alumni for a LOR, thinking you'll get extra brownie points when applying for USC, I don't think you've worked/known with him long enough for it to be a solid reference. As for the bio professor/advisor, she seems to be a good candidate for a LOR too.

Now thinking from the admission committee's point of you, I'd want to read a LOR from a teacher saying how great of a communicator you are, hardworking, works well with others, reliable, focused, determined, caring, blah blah blah. So which teacher can say all that? For my LOR, I asked my Anatomy and Physiology professor, known her for 2.5 years. She was the anatomy lecturer, and physio lecturer and lab professor. Also ended up TAing for her anatomy lab for 2 semester, and her physio lab for 1 semester. So she's seen me in lab environment, working with others, and I also worked for her. Also had LOR from ochem prof, had him for lab and lecture for 2 semesters, and also TAed for him for one of his lab classes. And of course, got my pharmacist LOR from work.

Thanks so much for the help guys!

Im offically torn between the the Bio prof and the english porf.

english - can talk about writen and oral communcation skills. she love smy writing! shows im well rouded. i had one year of english with her. she's a UCLA Phd in Folklore. she's very enthusiastic, she's has been waiting to write me a letter since my freshman year.

bio- she's my advisor. she likes me. she's had a two classes with me of freshman bio. she's a PhD associate prof. She's a botnist....she's very familar with wirting med/pharm letters. wirtten tons over the years......

does that change any oppinions????

Would it be outside of "protocol" to ask a current pharmacy school student to write your LOR?

WhoaTasneem said:

english - can talk about writen and oral communcation skills. she love smy writing! shows im well rouded. i had one year of english with her. she's a UCLA Phd in Folklore. she's very enthusiastic, she's has been waiting to write me a letter since my freshman year.

bio- she's my advisor. she likes me. she's had a two classes with me of freshman bio. she's a PhD associate prof. She's a botnist....she's very familar with wirting med/pharm letters. wirtten tons over the years......

If both the English professor and bio professor know you well after such an extended period of time, I would opt to ask for an LOR from the bio professor. She is your advisor and would thus know about your academic progress as well as your interests in this profession. If both these professors know you on a personal/ academic level, and are both equally enthusiastic about writing an LOR for you, I woud go with the science professor, just because I think it would look more favorable.

WhoaTasneem said:

Why didn't you go for BOTH and then take the pharmacist's letter?

It seems like you have 2 professors that knows you well. That's a godsend.

How well does the o-chem prof know you?

:( she didn't like the anthro ta idea. now i have to go find a chem ta :( it seems like she's only willing to co-sign.

*sigh*

maybe i should just ask someone else...:/

luckycloud5 said:
:( she didn't like the anthro ta idea. now i have to go find a chem ta :( it seems like she's only willing to co-sign.

*sigh*

maybe i should just ask someone else...:/

If I were you I would ask someone else. She won't even write the LOR and then tells you that you can't have the TA that you want to write it? No way, I'd be asking another professor to give me an LOR. That pisses me off that professors do that. But, whatever. :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll get all of the LORs that you will need--this is only a small bump in the road, if that. Be encouraged. :D

Thanks so much collinisem, I totally needed that encouragment. =)

and the prof. seemed so nice to me before...booo.

I am considering just having my anthro. TA or a co-sign with the anthro. professor. if other science prof's don't work.

hopefully there's still time..eep.

is anthro. considered a science or social science?

b/c i've taken two different courses in the anthro. department and one satisfied a science requirement, the other a social science...

luckycloud5 said:
is anthro. considered a science or social science?

b/c i've taken two different courses in the anthro. department and one satisfied a science requirement, the other a social science...

I always thought it was a social science. But, anthro does have different branches (like forensic anthro) that could definitely be considered sciences.

cool. thanks. =)

btw. it appears that i am having no luck with the chem ta. the ta emailed telling me he was available to meet "in the afternoon on friday" I emailed him back to ask what time and i never got a response. (this was a couple days ago) i'm not sure if i should even email him back at this point....

"afternoon" is so vague! i was not abouut to sit on that bench outside our science lab building for 6 hours surrounded by trees that rain pollen, b/c i didn't know what time.

:)

Hold on a second....you're trying to get a chemistry professor to co-sign a letter from a TA that isn't in the chemistry dept much less one of his/her TA's? What kind of a dingbat are you? Of course she isn't going to sign that letter....it carries absolutly no weight. That professor has no idea how well you did in your anthro class and has no basis of comparison to other students. An "A" in Anthro. is not the same as an "A" in O'chem. And for your information as well as everyone else that is thinking about getting a letter....The professor always looks over the letter and has the TA make corrections as necessary before they sign it. Trust me...I've had to re-write some letters at least a dozen times. Props to the professor for not signing the letter from a TA that she dosen't know. Better luck with your other letters.

yes, i now understand why she wouldn't and shouldn't sign.

in the beginning when i asked the anthro. ta, i was thinking more along the lines of who knew me better... i just didn't know what to do...

and please don't call me a "dingbat."

Just a random thought, did you make sure that your school will accept a co-signed LoR from a TA/Prof.

I would find a full professor to write about your work (scholastic) habits and teachability/character. Maybe the gen-chem teacher would write one for you or your biology teacher??

gimpsd said:
Hold on a second....you're trying to get a chemistry professor to co-sign a letter from a TA that isn't in the chemistry dept much less one of his/her TA's? What kind of a dingbat are you? Of course she isn't going to sign that letter....it carries absolutly no weight. That professor has no idea how well you did in your anthro class and has no basis of comparison to other students. An "A" in Anthro. is not the same as an "A" in O'chem. And for your information as well as everyone else that is thinking about getting a letter....The professor always looks over the letter and has the TA make corrections as necessary before they sign it. Trust me...I've had to re-write some letters at least a dozen times. Props to the professor for not signing the letter from a TA that she dosen't know. Better luck with your other letters.

No need for name calling, hon. This forum is not about that so I suggest you check your crappy attitude at the door because you stink.

I apologize....I got irradiated by an undergrad today and was feeling somewhat exasperated with the whole bunch. I personally think a TA/Prof letter carries more weight then a prof letter by itself. TA's tend to have a closer relationship to the students then the prof. My two cents.....

ok. apology accepted. =)

i think i'm going to stick with the anthro. ta.

i'll have to think about having the co-sign with the anthro. prof though. she was nice but i never went to her office hours...

thanks for the advice everyone.

I am applying too. Here is what I did:

1. Prepare my resume, personal statements, a couple essays about who I am and what I learned from working experience (when i was asking for recommendations from my supercisor at school), a thank you note, a cover letter explaining the process.

2. Make an appointment (face-to-face ot via email).

3. Go to their office and discuss the time frame and other stuffs.

Fortunately, my recommenders (a chem prof., supervisor, and a pharmacist) are all very nice, reponding quickly, and willing to help.

Why don't you try to ask other science profs. I think they have the obligations for writing the letter somehow. You do not need to get an A, even though it's highly recommended and better!

Hope this helps and good luck to you during this fully stretched period,

Smallkitty00

I'm in the process of applying at the moment and need recommendations from two science professors for one of the schools I'm applying to. The problem is that I took a year off in order to get work experience in various pharmacy settings and to travel, so I haven't seen my science professors for quite some time now. Actually, none of them really know me since I never had the need to meet with them after class.

I'm currently taking a medical microbiology class, but it's really difficult to get the professors attention and for her to get to know me as an individual. Everything so far is pretty clear cut and I haven't had any problems with learning the material, so I don't really have the need to go to her office after class. How do others form relationships with their professors in order for them to be better informed of your personal characterstics without having to constantly go to their office to ask questions to which you already know the answers? She isn't necessarily an easy going person.

I understand that certain pharmacy schools "count" committee letters as more then one recommendation. Does that mean they will ignore the other 2?