Let's talk TATOO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cchoukal

Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is what I thought the other thread was going to be about. So let's hear it. Anyone have any cool ink?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's mine. I want a second now, but am waiting to find the right artist. Anyone else have one?

Attachments

• 111-1174_IMG.jpg
    111-1174_IMG.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 271
Want to get one on my shoulder but worried that it may poke out from under my scrub sleeve. Unprofessional? Conversation piece before surgery?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of offending several otherwise decent people on this forum, I personally think tattoos are completely cheesy, cliche, tacky, and I refuse to even consider dating women that have them. Counter to their intended effect, tattoos - no matter how special, sexy, or macho you think it makes you - actual reveal the real stunning lack of creativity and individualism that you are otherwise so desperately trying to show the world.

So, I don't care how cool or badass or unique you think you are now and can show the world with your tattoo, I guarantee that you when you're fifty you'll look back and regret how much of a jackass you were in your twenties when you got it. Count on it. For example, you know who's fifty and still love tattoos? People who live trailer parks.

Don't get tattoos. They are stupid.

-copro

Want to get one on my shoulder but worried that it may poke out from under my scrub sleeve. Unprofessional? Conversation piece before surgery?

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

If you make the life-altering mistake of getting one , absolutely do not show them in the hospital! There is no more surefire way to completely destroy the confidence of the vast majority of patients in your abilities as a caregiver, unless of course your patient populations consists solely of strippers, bikers, and trailer park trash (which may still result in some rolling eyes and questionable looks).

If I was a chairman or program director and I saw a tattoo revealed during an interview, I'd pass you over. You think I'm alone in that sentiment? Don't be too sure.

-copro

I normally bite my tongue, but I'm just gonna say it.

It's TATTOO!

Every day I check SDN, that misspell will taunt me.

There. I said it, and there's nothing else I can do about it.

Now that it's out of my sytem, I'm gonna have to agree with Copro. I've never seen one and thought, "that's pretty cool." I'll never understand what people are trying to express, or why they choose that medium.

i agree. in other cultures tatooing is a religious/ceremonial endeavor, with special meaning and significance. in most of the western world it is, for better or for worse, associated with a low socioeconomic or educational class. that's not a bad thing if that's who you are or the vibe you are trying to give off.

At the risk of offending several otherwise decent people on this forum, I personally think tattoos are completely cheesy, cliche, tacky, and I refuse to even consider dating women that have them. Counter to their intended effect, tattoos - no matter how special, sexy, or macho you think it makes you - actual reveal the real stunning lack of creativity and individualism that you are otherwise so desperately trying to show the world.

So, I don't care how cool or badass or unique you think you are now and can show the world with your tattoo, I guarantee that you when you're fifty you'll look back and regret how much of a jackass you were in your twenties when you got it. Count on it. For example, you know who's fifty and still love tattoos? People who live trailer parks.

-copro

-copro

So I guess that rules out the whole covering yourself in woad and going to the OR?

Ive got lots of ink. A half sleeve on my left arm. My ribs, my leg.

No one seems to care...

But i wear a coat, shirt and tie in the office... In the OR, the tattoos are visible. so what.

who cares, do what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I normally bite my tongue, but I'm just gonna say it.

It's TATTOO!

Every day I check SDN, that misspell will taunt me.

There. I said it, and there's nothing else I can do about it.

Now that it's out of my sytem, I'm gonna have to agree with Copro. I've never seen one and thought, "that's pretty cool." I'll never understand what people are trying to express, or why they choose that medium.

No, I meant Tatoo, that guy from fantasy island

Attachments

• fantasy_island_tattoo.jpg
    fantasy_island_tattoo.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 83
in general i agree to the letter with what copro said about tattoos, it sure indicates a low socioeconomic status.
during my residency we had an ob anesthesia attending who rated the risk of laboring women along their "teeth/tattoos ratio" , when it approached 1 a c-section was guaranteed....
fasto

Copro would say you are white trash for celebrating the memory of your daughter!

I have one... I have my (deceased) daughter's initials on the inside of my right wrist. No one seems to notice it much, but where I work (VA) the patients themselves are the ones with the major ink.

I thought about bitin my lip but my crappy teeth are cutting my lip-
That and everyone else is acting like a pompous AZZ

I understand where the prejudices and stereotypes come from. When I see crappy tattoos, swastikas, prison ink, I too fall into that trap, occasionally.

However, for the last 20+ years, the people getting tattoos have changed dramatically and so the quality.

You are talking about judging 20-30 million people or so in US, alone.

Cop, I hope you dont fall in love with a woman before you see her totally nude and find she has been hiding a little cartoon character tattoo on her low back~! After she would instantly be scum of the Earth

Remember when you say "oh that tattooed scum" and you insert Italian, Jew, black or anything else in lieu of tattooed, it might sound a little different....

in general i agree to the letter with what copro said about tattoos, it sure indicates a low socioeconomic status.
during my residency we had an ob anesthesia attending who rated the risk of laboring women along their "teeth/tattoos ratio" , when it approached 1 a c-section was guaranteed....
fasto

Cop, I hope you dont fall in love with a woman before you see her totally nude and find she has been hiding a little cartoon character tattoo on her low back~! After she would instantly be scum of the Earth

Don't worry. ;)

And, I think there'd be plenty of clues about her cheesiness before I ever "fell in love" with her. I've never met a chick with any class that has a ***** tag tattoo. I'm not talking about a little, teenie-tiny tattoo that serves as a constant reminder about some tragic event... not that I really even fully understand that either.

-copro

Seems like someone once said people should be be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin. Why wouldn't this apply to tattoos? Stereotyping people like that is not something to be proud of.

Seems like someone once said people should be be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin. Why wouldn't this apply to tattoos? Stereotyping people like that is not something to be proud of.

You can't control the color of your skin.

If you proudly get a tattoo, you deserve to be judged. It's no different in principle than wearing tacky clothes, having a mohawk haircut, or getting a bunch of piercings all over your face... except that it's much harder to "undo" a tattoo. You are telling the world something very specific when you get at tatt. Problem is, most people don't know what that is. Most of all, you're telling people (like me) that you are a conformist who's desperate to get noticed.

At the absolute very least, you're telling me that you haven't thought at all about who you're going to be ten years from now, and the potential permanency of your bad decisions.

-copro

You can't control the color of your skin.

If you proudly get a tattoo, you deserve to be judged. It's no different in principle than wearing tacky clothes, having a mohawk haircut, or getting a bunch of piercings all over your face... except that it's much harder to "undo" a tattoo. You are telling the world something very specific when you get at tatt. Problem is, most people don't know what that is. Most of all, you're telling people (like me) that you are a conformist who's desperate to get noticed.

At the absolute very least, you're telling me that you haven't thought at all about who you're going to be ten years from now, and the potential permanency of your bad decisions.

-copro

The point is that you should judge someone by who they are, not by appearances.

And what's wrong with getting a tattoo because you like the way they look. I'm not big on the skulls and biker-type tattoos, but I think tribal stuff like what the The Rock has looks pretty cool, not that I would do it to myself, but I still like it.

It seems like you are awful quick to judge, and that's not a very virtuous way to go through life. But to each their own...

And what's wrong with getting a tattoo because you like the way they look. I'm not big on the skulls and biker-type tattoos, but I think tribal stuff like what the The Rock has looks pretty cool, not that I would do it to myself, but I still like it.

It seems like you are awful quick to judge, and that's not a very virtuous way to go through life. But to each their own...

Who gets tattoos?

(1) People who want others to think they are "fierce".
(2) People who want others to think they are "unique".
(3) People who want others to think they are "hip".
(4) People who want others to think they are "sexy".
(5) People who want others to think they are any combination of the above.

Newsflash: you are none of the above, especially if you actually get the tattoo. It advertises something about you that you probably really don't want most other people to know, unless of course they are of the same ilk.

Quick to judge? Nah. Quick to point out the obvious? Definitely.

-copro

So at 44 y.o., retired military, residency coordinator at a University Hospital with two tattoos (one from 25 years ago, one from 2 years ago), do I count as "trailer trash"?

Wow, I always thought I was a little classier than that.

Who gets tattoos?

Newsflash: you are none of the above, especially if you actually get the tattoo. It advertises something about you that you probably really don't want most other people to know, unless of course they are of the same ilk.

Quick to judge? Nah. Quick to point out the obvious? Definitely.

-copro

For some people, the criteria you identified may be the case, but you really think those are the only reasons people choose to get tattoos? I don't. How about if they simply like tattoos? How about if they see it as an art? You are pigeonholing.

Instead of tattoos, what if I say that everybody who buys a Porsche is a pompous, materialistic, a**. You could use all of your criteria you mentioned for the people who get tattoos, for those who buy Porsches, if you want to stereotype them. Clearly this is not the case, unless you believe that too, in which case, I give up. Many car lovers buy a particular car because they like that car, period. Same with tattoos.

I'll bet there are a ton of people out there who would otherwise get a tattoo, but are too worried they will be judged by people like you. How is that any better than people who get a tattoo for the reasons you mentioned?

As much as you would like to believe it, you cannot simply look at somebody and instantly know who they are as a person. The idea that people can't be themselves out of fear of being judged really bothers me. This is exactly the kind of thinking that has created such an unhealthy self-image for young girls nowadays.

I'm sure I can't change your mind about this topic, but I hope you meet somebody in the near future who can. You'll be thankful.

Last edited:
The only tattoos I can personally appreciate are the tramp stamps on laboring women with BMIs over 40. It's nice to have an extra landmark to direct the harpoon.

You can wear baggy pants and flaunt your crack, grow a ZZ Top beard, put a 70% tint on your windshield, or even get a tattoo, but for god's sake don't act all surprised and indignant when people mock you for it.

i've got plenty of tattoos that landmark major experiences from my military service. you wanna call me white trash? that's cool, but it's still no different than telling someone they're not good enough to be a physician because they're black or practice islam. tattoos do not affect a person's compassion or intelligence. that's all i have to say.

The only tattoos I can personally appreciate are the tramp stamps on laboring women with BMIs over 40. It's nice to have an extra landmark to direct the harpoon.

You can wear baggy pants and flaunt your crack, grow a ZZ Top beard, put a 70% tint on your windshield, or even get a tattoo, but for god's sake don't act all surprised and indignant when people mock you for it.

If a woman is that large, I find it much more likely the ink isn't midline. Then it's just a red herring.

But we all do the latter, almost every day. It may be hard to admit, but before someone opens their mouth, you have made a few assessments of who they may be based on a variety of visible criteria.

The difference is in how easily you ignore your initial assessment after you get to know them.

-copro
How the hell would you know? I (and I imagine many other professionals with tattoos) thought about my decision and the potential consequences/permanency for quite some time before deciding to get it done. How it would look, in what situations it would be noticed, how it would change as my body aged, how I could cover it up if I decided I didn't want it to be seen (easily, by the way...). It's no more "cheesy" than having my ears pierced, or are you irrationally against that as well. Are there cheesy tattoos? Sure! Are they all? No. Seriously, get a grip. You act like a child. I'd take a tatted up professional over you for the care of me or my family member any day. :thumbup:

PS- 10 years later, I'm still a person who likes having one.

Man, the bullsh*t starts to get pretty thick around here pretty fast....

(1) i've got plenty of tattoos that landmark major experiences from my military service. (2) you wanna call me white trash? that's cool, (3) but it's still no different than telling someone they're not good enough to be a physician because they're black or practice islam. (4) tattoos do not affect a person's compassion or intelligence. that's all i have to say.

(1) See my criteria #1 above.
(2) I would never do that... to your face.
(3) No, it's not. This is what we call the "straw man" logical fallacy. Getting a tattoo is a personal choice for putting an indelible, permanent advertisement for the world to see regarding something otherwise personal about yourself. Contrary to that, a person who is African American cannot make the choice about the color of their skin. Likewise, a person who practices Islam can be from any variety of country or nationality that has nothing to do with terrorism. Now, if that black physician wore baggy pants, had gold teeth, and sported a sideways NY Yankees hat while walking around the hospital going "Yo, yo, yo bitches!" he wouldn't inspire confidence either. Likewise, if that Islamic person wore a robe and a turban and let his beard grow to his navel, while strolling the wards, the same holds true.
(4) No, but it advertises to the world to other people how you both (a) view yourself and (b) tells them something about your worldview.

And, don't tell me that you don't cover up your tattoos at work. You know you do.

For some people, the criteria you identified may be the case, but you really think those are the only reasons people choose to get tattoos? I don't. How about if they simply like tattoos? How about if they see it as an art? You are pigeonholing.

You are talking rationalizations or second-order reasons. I'm talking about the primary personal intention for displaying a permanent advertisement about one's self, and I am not wrong.

I'd take a tatted up professional over you for the care of me or my family member any day. :thumbup:

You're a liar.

Tattoos are not classy. Most intelligent people (i.e., who are not trailer park trash, a stripper, or a biker) regret having gotten them years down the line. And, they will then rationalize having done so when they were younger (i.e., I was young, dumb, and full of cum) because there's not much else they can do at that point.

Truth hurts, I know. But, I asked a 20-something nurse recently (who had a full sleeve) how she thought that was going to look when she was sixty. She looked at me like I was speaking Chinese.

Don't be pissed at me for telling you how the vast majority of the population views people with tattoos. You should be appreciating my candor instead. I don't couch the truth in pleasantries. At the same time, tattoo you're entire body head-to-toe if you want. No one is stopping you. This is a free country. Just don't expect me to like you, respect you, or think you are "awesome" for doing it.

-copro

On OB anesthesia I compared tattoos with the residents.

My father, an anesthesiologist and former chair of a large academic dept, has 3.

Perhaps its not the cRNAs we should be worried about but the number of "white trash" anesthesiologists in or entering the field.

I don't couch the truth in pleasantries
You're not spouting 'truth' you're spewing your own opinion. You are entitled to it, but spare me your hubris in claiming it's more than the self righteous need to feel morally superior it is. You can not understand why someone would do it, and you can disagree with having a tattoo, but don't overreach and say that anyone with a tattoo is therefore white trash, trendy, needy or otherwise less wonderful than you.

Who gets tattoos?

1) Assumption
2) Assumption
3) Assumption
4) Assumption
5) Assumption

None of those reasons are why I personally got a tattoo, and how the HELL do you presume to know why I did? Not only did I design it myself, I spent years, yes years, thinking about whether I really wanted it and where I would put it, and even how it would age. I love the artwork, and I would get another.

You are talking rationalizations or second-order reasons.
So those reasons aren't valid? Why is that? Only your reasons can count? Sure is easier to argue that way.

And, don't tell me that you don't cover up your tattoos at work. You know you do.
Not true. When I go to deliveries or wear scrubs, they don't always cover it up totally. I don't worry about it. Neither do other docs I know who have them.

I'm talking about the primary personal intention for displaying a permanent advertisement about one's self, and I am not wrong.
How can you possibly claim to know this??

Most intelligent people (i.e., who are not trailer park trash, a stripper, or a biker) regret having gotten them years down the line.
Weren't you just lecturing a medical student about backing up what you say with viable data? So where's yours? And please don't just say 'well in my experience...' A nurser could do that. The plural of anecdote is not statistic. Most of the people I know with tattoos (some of whom have had them for quite some time) do NOT in fact regret them. Strangely some of them are docs, and even stranger, some of them are even GOOD docs.

Just don't expect me to like you, respect you, or think you are "awesome" for doing it.
That's just it man. I don't need YOUR respect, and from the comments you've made, I don't want it. Anyone who's that judgmental and self righteous must also **** daisies and sunshine, and is definitely not someone whom I respect.

gang_tattoos_1sfw.jpg

i'm all for teardrop tattoos. one tear for every M&M you have presented as a resident.

So you're telling me THIS is the guy you want putting you to sleep?

If a woman is that large, I find it much more likely the ink isn't midline. Then it's just a red herring.

Don't know about that ... could be that I've just run into the work of more talented tattoo artists, but it seems more likely that lots of today's extra-value-meal sized women got their tattoos a few years and a few hundred double bacon cheeseburgers ago. And the tattoo invariably went on before they chowed on 70 pounds of "baby" weight. Certainly not the only landmark I use, but usually a pretty good one.

As for the rest of the tattoo debate ... the fact that the more clearheaded tattoo-getters often go out of their way to put them in easily concealed places implies
  • that they know that a tattoo says something about them
  • that whatever that something is, it may not be flattering under all circumstances
  • that people whose opinions they care about (even if only transiently) are important enough that ability to conceal the tattoo is a priority
And yet they get these permanent, potentially inconvenient, potentially embarrassing tattoos anyway.

Whatever. Can't say that I hold it against them, though I often can't help mocking them. Even brilliant, capable, responsible people do silly things at some point, whether it's getting drunk and puking on a police horse, putting indelible doodlings on their bodies, or telling a juiced-up gangbanger that his mother ... well, you get the idea.

I might have silently laughed at last night's parturient ditz who had a swirly cursive "HoT BodY" and half-naked chick tramp stamp, but I didn't think she was a bad or stupid person. She was very nice.

A couple rooms down the hall, dad is a hipster doofus with a couple armfuls of tattoos. He was laughing on his cell about how his "pops" got thown in jail 'cause he punched out some guy who hit his car on the way to the hospital. He was also a very nice and friendly guy.

A couple rooms past that we had the young professional parturient with good insurance and no tattoos.

Exceptions and outliers exist (as demonstrated by the distinguished tattooed members of this forum), but let's not deny that a pattern exists also. A large majority of tattooed people live on the left side of the bell curve.

-copro
I feel like there is a lack of honesty on this one :cool: I really appreciate that response. I couldn't agree more. Tho I won't lie I didseriously considered getting 2 done to cover my PAO scars but I will admit that after reading this response, it does give an enlightning perspective on the situation...

Tats...

Well I think that if someone wants to get one because it has some special meaning to them (i have had one that does for over 15 years) it should be placed somewhere that it cannot be seen in public. Mine is high on my right shoulder and unless i was to wear a tank top you could not see it.

If you are going to be a professional of anykind I think that copro is absolutely correct. I do, however, believe one can have a tat which is hidden from the general public and get the same meaning.

So you're telling me THIS is the guy you want putting you to sleep?

judging by the content of his character, absolutely not ;)

and usually the MS13 gang tats on the face and forehead are warning signs "does not play well with others"

Weren't you just lecturing a medical student about backing up what you say with viable data? So where's yours?

Upwards of 50 percent of those who get tattoos later wish they hadn't. Their regrets become medical when they visit a dermatologist to have the tattoos removed, which is both painful and expensive. In the July issue of the Archives of Dermatology, researchers at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center report on what's behind the change of heart: moving on from the past, problems wearing clothes, embarrassment, and concerns that tattoos could adversely affect job or career.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...08/07/25/the-dangerous-art-of-the-tattoo.html

These are just a couple of the substances that scientists have discovered taint some tattoo inks, raising safety concerns over the widely popular but loosely regulated industry. "Consumers should be aware of the fact that we really don't know what's being injected," warns Linda Katz, director of the Office of Cosmetics and Colors at the Food and Drug Administration. At the moment, the FDA doesn't regulate the inks and pigments used by tattoo artists, even though it's within the agency's authority to do so, and no inks or pigments have been approved for injection. While state and local authorities do oversee the practice, their rules vary, and they're mainly concerned with ensuring sanitation, experts say.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...attoo-read-this.html ?s_cid=related-links:TOP

OBJECTIVE: To compare the results of a 1996 study of tattoo possession and motivation for tattoo removal with those of a 2006 study, in light of today's current strong mainstream tattoo procurement and societal support within the young adult population. DESIGN: Descriptive, exploratory study. SETTING: Four dermatology clinics in Arizona, Colorado, Massachusetts, and Texas. PARTICIPANTS: The 2006 study included 196 tattooed patients (66 men and 130 women). MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Incidence of purchase and possession risk, as measured by a 127-item survey and factor analysis. RESULTS: In contrast to the 1996 study, more women (69%) than men (31%) presented for tattoo removal in 2006. Women in the 2006 study were white, single, college educated, and between the ages of 24 and 39 years; they reported being risk takers, having stable family relationships, and moderate to strong religious beliefs (prayer and closeness to God). Commonly, tattoos were obtained at approximately 20 years of age, providing internal expectations of uniqueness and self-identity. Tattoo possession risks were significant, cited when the quest for uniqueness turned into stigmata (P < .001), negative comments (P < .003), and clothes problems (P < .004). CONCLUSIONS: In both the 1996 and the 2006 studies, a shift in identity occurred, and removal centered around dissociating from the past. However, in the 2006 study, more women than men were notably affected by possession risks. Societal support for women with tattoos may not be as strong as for men. Rather than having visible tattoos, women may still want to choose self-controlled body site placement, even in our contemporary society.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This study examined the effects of tattooing on perception of a male's and a female's credibility and attractiveness. 74 undergraduates viewed a photograph of a tattooed or nontattooed male or female model and then rated dimensions of the models' credibility and attractiveness. Analysis indicated that, although the models' attractiveness ratings were not affected by having a tattoo, their credibility ratings were generally lower when wearing a tattoo than when not wearing one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

OBJECTIVE: Health researchers have claimed that perceptions toward a person with a tattoo are more negative than are perceptions toward nontattooed persons. However, support for this has been obtained almost completely by nonexperimental research. PARTICIPANTS: In 2 experiments with 158 community college student participants, the authors found that tattoos harmed perceptions. METHODS: Students viewed a photograph of a female model with and without a visible tattoo, and rated her on 13 personal characteristics. RESULTS: In Experiment 1, ratings of a model with a dragon tattoo were significantly more negative (p < .05) on 5 of the 13 personal characteristics than were ratings of the same model shown without the tattoo. In Experiment 2, which included different participants, a different model, and a different tattoo, the authors found that a dolphin tattoo led to more negative ratings on 2 of the 13 characteristics. CONCLUSIONS: The authors discuss possible impacts of tattoos on person perception as well as implications of the results for college student healthcare providers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

High school and university students viewed a photograph of one woman either with or without a visible tattoo on her upper arm. They rated the woman on 13 personal characteristics (fashionable, athletic, attractive, caring, creative, determined, motivated, honest, generous, mysterious, religious, intelligent, artistic). Analyses showed ratings of the model with the tattoo were statistically significantly lower (more negative) on 9 of the 13 personal characteristics. Ratings were not associated with whether the participants had or did not have tattoos themselves. Implications for research are discussed, including the need to explore the conditions under which negative attitudes may be translated into negative behaviors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

The motives, family experiences, and personality characteristics of 341 college students with and without tattoos or piercings were studied. Participants completed Lippa's 1991 measures of the Big Five personality factors, a shortened version of the Body Cathexis Scale, a series of questions about their childhood experiences, and questions about risk-taking behaviors. In addition, reasons to have or not have body modifications and the perceptions of people with body modifications were investigated. Of the 116 men and 186 women, 25% and 33%, respectively, had at least one tattoo or body piercing. There were very few differences in the childhood experiences or personality characteristics of people with or without body modifications. Although people with body modifications did not differ from people without modifications on the Big Five personality measures, people without modifications perceived people with modifications as much different from themselves on these measures. These results indicate that tattoos and piercings in college students are associated with significantly more risk-taking behavior, greater use of alcohol and marijuana, and less social conformity. However, the traditional stereotype that body modifications are indicators of social or personal pathology does not describe contemporary college students.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

235 college students rated themselves on a series of bipolar adjectives and answered questions about their involvement in a variety of "risky" behaviors, including tattooing and body piercing. 29 tattooed students rated themselves as more adventurous, creative, artistic, individualistic, and risky than those without tattoos. The 98 tattooed males considered themselves more attractive. Behaviorally, those with tattoos reported smoking more cigarettes. Tattooed men also reported more sexual partners, were more likely to report they had been arrested, and were more likely to have body piercings. The 21 tattooed women were more likely to report use of drugs other than alcohol, shoplifting, and body piercings in places other than their ears.

Are you still going to tell me that I don't have the obligation to pre-suppose certain things about a patient, colleague, (whomever) who is inked?

AND, if you don't believe it's important how you present yourself to your patients...

PURPOSE: There are very few studies about the impact of physicians' attire on patients' confidence and trust. The objective of this study was to determine whether the way a doctor dresses is an important factor in the degree of trust and confidence among respondents. METHODS: A cross-sectional descriptive study using survey methodology was conducted of patients and visitors in the waiting room of an internal medicine outpatient clinic. Respondents completed a written survey after reviewing pictures of physicians in four different dress styles. Respondents were asked questions related to their preference for physician dress as well as their trust and willingness to discuss sensitive issues. RESULTS: Four hundred respondents with a mean age of 52.4 years were enrolled; 54% were men, 58% were white, 38% were African-American, and 43% had greater than a high school diploma. On all questions regarding physician dress style preferences, respondents significantly favored the professional attire with white coat (76.3%, P <.0001), followed by surgical scrubs (10.2%), business dress (8.8%), and casual dress (4.7%). Their trust and confidence was significantly associated with their preference for professional dress (P <.0001). Respondents also reported that they were significantly more willing to share their social, sexual, and psychological problems with the physician who is professionally dressed (P <.0001). The importance of physician's appearance was ranked similarly between male and female respondents (P=.54); however, female physicians' dress appeared to be significantly more important to respondents than male physicians' dress (P <.001). CONCLUSION: Respondents overwhelmingly favor physicians in professional attire with a white coat. Wearing professional dress (ie, a white coat with more formal attire) while providing patient care by physicians may favorably influence trust and confidence-building in the medical encounter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16271913?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

And, this one, although about facial piercings, provides a nice corollary...

OBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to assess attitudes of patrons and medical school faculty about physicians with nontraditional facial piercings. We also examined whether a piercing affected the perceived competency and trustworthiness of physicians. DESIGN: Survey. SETTING: Teaching hospital in the southeastern United States. PARTICIPANTS: Emergency department patrons and medical school faculty physicians. INTERVENTIONS: First, patrons were shown photographs of models with a nontraditional piercing and asked about the appropriateness for a physician or medical student. In the second phase, patrons blinded to the purpose of the study were shown identical photographs of physician models with or without piercings and asked about competency and trustworthiness. The third phase was an assessment of attitudes of faculty regarding piercings. MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS: Nose and lip piercings were felt to be appropriate for a physician by 24% and 22% of patrons, respectively. Perceived competency and trustworthiness of models with these types of piercings were also negatively affected. An earring in a male was felt to be appropriate by 35% of patrons, but an earring on male models did not negatively affect perceived competency or trustworthiness. Nose and eyebrow piercings were felt to be appropriate by only 7% and 5% of faculty physicians and working with a physician or student with a nose or eyebrow piercing would bother 58% and 59% of faculty, respectively. An ear piercing in a male was felt to be appropriate by 20% of faculty, and 25% stated it would bother them to work with a male physician or student with an ear piercing. CONCLUSIONS: Many patrons and physicians feel that some types of nontraditional piercings are inappropriate attire for physicians, and some piercings negatively affect perceived competency and trustworthiness. Health care providers should understand that attire may affect a patient's opinion about their abilities and possibly erode confidence in them as a clinician.

Do you really believe that displayed body art (including tattoos) generally inspires confidence among your patients? Your colleagues? Do you? If so, you are deluding yourself.

Again, tattoos are stupid. They tell something about you to the rest of the world that you probably don't want the world to know... in all (i.e., professional) circumstances... even if it's not true.

-copro

You've just quoted studies and articles to back up your beliefs, thats just lame dude :thumbdown:

I have one... I have my (deceased) daughter's initials on the inside of my right wrist. No one seems to notice it much, but where I work (VA) the patients themselves are the ones with the major ink.

your reason is the only valid one. Condolences on your loss.

You've just quoted studies and articles to back up your beliefs, thats just lame dude :thumbdown:

I would really appreciate you providing the articles and links which back up the contrary beliefs.

Last edited:
Copro would say you are white trash for celebrating the memory of your daughter!

Naw, it's not the tat that makes me white trash. It's the double-wide trailer with rebel flag drapes in the living room, the Camaro up on blocks in the front yard (makes a great doghouse for my coonhounds) and the GIANT satellite dish out back that are the better clues. Yee-haw! :laugh:

I'm not talking about a little, teenie-tiny tattoo that serves as a constant reminder about some tragic event... not that I really even fully understand that either.

In my case... the tattoo is a reminder of my daughter's life, which is something to celebrate and not a tragedy. And I'm not being a smartass when I say that those of us who have lost a child don't expect other people to understand the ways we cope with the loss or memorialize our children. I certainly could never have understood it until it happened to me. I just don't think it's POSSIBLE for others to understand, and that's OK.

A4MD - Your fortitude is an absolute inspiration. Please know that even in this random and anonymous world, Riley has left an impression on my life. She has affected the way I view my children, and taught me patience with them. I'd wager I'm not the only one.

to be brutally honest, when i was 16 i seriously considered getting one so the world could see how hip/edge/badass i am, however, i was sure that at some point in my life i"ll be on the run from authorities and a tattoo would provide an additional method to identify me...
so, no tattoo for fasto ;-)

In my case... the tattoo is a reminder of my daughter's life, which is something to celebrate and not a tragedy. And I'm not being a smartass when I say that those of us who have lost a child don't expect other people to understand the ways we cope with the loss or memorialize our children. I certainly could never have understood it until it happened to me. I just don't think it's POSSIBLE for others to understand, and that's OK.

You're right. Those of us who have never lost a child could ever know what you have gone through. I pray that I never have to go through what you have been through. You appear to be a very strong person and my heart goes out to you.

So I'll throw my pragmatist opinion in here.

You can debate all you want how people should react to a tattoo. I don't find it significant. People DO react certain ways to tattoos. IF you choose to get a tattoo you've subjected yourself to whatever assumptions are then made about you.

I respect that. And, in no way would I ever claim the arrogance to know what you are going through, or otherwise even remotely presume to understand your loss. We each cope with tragedy in our own particular way. And, each of us has lost a loved one or otherwise some respected and treasured person in our lives, and each of us chooses our own way to cope. Provided that we are ultimately able to move on with our own lives and not overly dwell on loss to the extent that it impairs our daily function, there is no "wrong" way to do this.

Just because I don't personally understand why you would honor your daughter in this way doesn't mean I necessarily diminish it. It is just different. And, in your own way of viewing the world, understandable. Likewise, I would only hope that that you would understand that you did this for yourself, and that equally you would not demonstrate the arrogance of expecting everyone else to understand and accept, de facto and because of its thematic nature, your decision to express your loss in this way.

-copro