Stock Market 2022 except we just talk about stocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not wrong. Did 10% down on $1M, which gives me a monthly mortgage + escrow of $6100.
This is crazy.

Am I out of touch? My mortgage is ~$1700 for a 4BR/2BA and 2-car garage and I keep telling my spouse that our mortgage is $300 higher than what it should have been. Meaning we would have been ok with a 3BR/2BA since one of our bedrooms is empty.

Members don't see this ad.

This is crazy.

Am I out of touch? My mortgage is ~$1700 for a 4BR/2BA and 2-car garage and I keep telling my spouse that our mortgage is $300 higher than what it should have been. Meaning we would have been ok with a 3BR/2BA since one of our bedrooms is empty.

u must live in a VLCOL area.
i have a 2b/2ba condo and i pay nearly $4000/month for my mortgage + escrow which is @ 2.8%

Members don't see this ad :)
This is crazy.

You are more likely to be less stressed about money in your 50s knowing that you don’t need to work very much while your colleagues are still chasing the dollar and wondering about their retirement and maintaining the lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes @Splenda88 . When did you buy? How much did you buy for? What could you sell for now? There has been some major increases in the cost of homes in the last 5-6 years. I just sold my house for >60% increase above my purchase price 6 years ago and likely could have sold for a fair amount more given my local market.

Also, we bought a 4 bed 5 bath, 4600 sq ft house on 11 acres, 10 minutes from the hospital, in the "best" public schools in the city. Just down the street there are similar size homes selling for similar prices on 0.3 acres.

Yes @Splenda88 . When did you buy? How much did you buy for? What could you sell for now? There has been some major increases in the cost of homes in the last 5-6 years. I just sold my house for >60% increase above my purchase price 6 years ago and likely could have sold for a fair amount more given my local market.

Also, we bought a 4 bed 5 bath, 4600 sq ft house on 11 acres, 10 minutes from the hospital, in the "best" public schools in the city. Just down the street there are similar size homes selling for similar prices on 0.3 acres.
I bought in July 2022 for 280k. Home is ~2000 sqft under AC plus attached 2-car garage.

We lived in an 1100 sqft apartment when I was in residency and I always dreaded to go to my car when it's raining. Also, it was a pain carrying up heavy things to one flight of stair

I can say now the attached 2-car garage really provides better quality of life. I am not sure the extra square footage (from 1100 to 2000) adds that much. Just cant imagine having a 3000+ sqft home.

I just don't get the obsession of the upper middle class with big home. It's another story if you are rich where home expense is just a bleep of your earning.

Last edited:
I bought in July 2022 for 280k. Home is ~2000 sqft under AC plus attached 2-car garage.

We lived in an 1100 sqft apartment when I was in residency and I always dreaded to go to my car when it's raining. Also, it was a pain carrying up heavy things to one flight of stair

I can say now the attached 2-car garage really provides better quality of life. I am not sure the extra square footage (from 1100 to 2000) adds that much. Just cant imagine having a 3000+ sqft home.

I just don't get the obsession of the upper middle class with big home. It's another story if you are rich where home expense is just a bleep of your earning.
I am moving from a 4 bed, 2.5 bath home with a tiny yard and small garage, 2170 SQ ft. We pretty regularly have family staying at our house (their family of 6 with our family of 5, 11+ people in the space is a LOT). So the extra square footage gives everyone breathing room when everyone is over. There is definitely more space than we NEED. But property is more what I was after than anything else.

Last edited:

Depends on your COL. You couldn’t find anything that’s not rundown around here (major metro) for <450k. Be prepared to drive >40 mins for more affordable suburbs.

I agree with you though. Most of my colleagues have seven-figure homes, and I don’t know that they can survive should a significant paycut be in the works. Talk about living life on the edge.

I am moving from a 4 bed, 2.5 bath home with a tiny yard and small garage, 2170 SQ ft. We pretty regularly have family staying at our house (their family of 6 with our family of 5, 11+ people in the space is a LOT). So the extra square footage gives everyone breathing room when everyone is over. There is definitely more space than we NEED. But property is more what I was after than anything else.
That is a nice square footage for a family of 4-5, but way too small for 11 people.

Last edited:
Depends on your COL. You couldn’t find anything that’s not rundown around here (major metro) for <450k. Be prepared to drive >40 mins for more affordable suburbs.

I agree with you though. Most of my colleagues have seven-figure homes, and I don’t know that they can survive should a significant paycut be in the works. Talk about living life on the edge.
What's the justification for that?

A nurse that I am friend with who made some money during covid put down 300k on a 850k home. I asked her why didn't she buy a regular home for 500k. Her reply was "After working hard, I want a nice home that I can come to." Seriously!

What's the justification for that?

A nurse that I am friend with who made some money during covid put down 300k on a 850k home. I asked her why didn't she buy a regular home for 500k. Her reply was "After working hard, I want a nice home that I can come to." Seriously!

Culture, expensive wives, sociopolitical influence, etc. Who knows? I know partners who can’t work anywhere else because their monthly expenses are so high. It’s insane to me personally, but to each its own.

Culture, expensive wives, sociopolitical influence, etc. Who knows? I know partners who can’t work anywhere else because their monthly expenses are so high. It’s insane to me personally, but to each its own.

I’ve toyed with the idea that there’s something to be said about considering an apartment on the way to whatever your FIRE number is even with a young family. Fixed monthly cost without utilities, property tax, various maintenance costs, gardener, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve toyed with the idea that there’s something to be said about considering an apartment on the way to whatever your FIRE number is even with a young family. Fixed monthly cost without utilities, property tax, various maintenance costs, gardener, etc.

Our monthly expenses quadrupled with a new kid/car/house. It adds up for sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

There was a thread on Reddit with a guy making 7 figures and feeling like he can't slow down

There was a thread on Reddit with a guy making 7 figures and feeling like he can't slow down
I saw that thread. That guy spouse would travel overseas (with the kids) without him.

I knew a neurosurgeon that was kind in a similar situation.

Last edited:
I've been renting for going on 7 years ranging from 1200-2500. The houses (800-900ish) I have been considering due to the top schools in the area just the monthly property tax, mortgage insurance have been more than my rent most years and not to consider repairs/maintenance/lawncare/snow removal/remodeling/higher utilities etc. Forget counting the loan payment and interest.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been renting for going on 7 years ranging from 1200-2500. The houses (800-900ish) I have been considering due to the top schools in the area just the monthly property tax, mortgage insurance have been more than my rent most years and not to consider repairs/maintenance/lawncare/snow removal/remodeling/higher utilities etc. Forget counting the loan payment and interest.
From a financial level I agree. I bought a money pit 25 years ago for 3 and a quarter and now worth about 850. That's terrible appreciation despite a prime location, and that's not considering high taxes, mortgage, upkeep, repairs etc. 15 on replacing the roof alone recently. Someday somebody will purchase my dirt, bulldozer the house, and build something like the 9000 foot behemoth next door.

Now on a personal level, wouldn't change that home purchase decision in a 100 years. Nobody jacking up rent on me. Nobody to tell me the house has been sold and the new owners don't want to rent to you. Nobody to tell me I can't convert the den to a gym and open the kitchen to the living room. No common wall neighbors with spontaneous 3am parties. Over 25 years transforming everything just the way I like it. So just like that pool you may have that sucks the life source out of your finances but the family and friends use every single day, some purchases are terrible financial decisions but excellent life decisions.

Reactions: 6 users
From a financial level I agree. I bought a money pit 25 years ago for 3 and a quarter and now worth about 850. That's terrible appreciation despite a prime location, and that's not considering high taxes, mortgage, upkeep, repairs etc. 15 on replacing the roof alone recently. Someday somebody will purchase my dirt, bulldozer the house, and build something like the 9000 foot behemoth next door.

Now on a personal level, wouldn't change that home purchase decision in a 100 years. Nobody jacking up rent on me. Nobody to tell me the house has been sold and the new owners don't want to rent to you. Nobody to tell me I can't convert the den to a gym and open the kitchen to the living room. No common wall neighbors with spontaneous 3am parties. Over 25 years transforming everything just the way I like it. So just like that pool you may have that sucks the life source out of your finances but the family and friends use every single day, some purchases are terrible financial decisions but excellent life decisions.

100% agree with you. I think we will have our current home forever (even if we move in the future). Barring a catastrophic event, there’s absolutely no way we could ever go back to apartment/townhome living.

Same, many years and can't ever do it again. Can barely even do hotels anymore with people in the next room haha.

It's so damn annoying. People with no jobs living on the dole have no respect for others. They think that just because they don't need to get up at 630 it's cool to be loud and obnoxious at midnight.

I feel like if you're paying over 2, 300 a night you shouldn't hear anybody else.

Same, many years and can't ever do it again. Can barely even do hotels anymore with people in the next room haha.

When the kids leave the nest you might change your mind for condo or apartment in a nice location.

Agree too. Probably in fly-over states it may dip a bit, but in general from my observation most desirable areas are still undersupply and cash-rich individuals are still buying those homes to avoid the interest.

Don't forget private equity has been buying single family homes like crazy the last decade for long term rental investments. Those buyers don't need mortgages and don't pay interest. Their cash flow calculations put them at a huge advantage over people who need to pay loan origination points, interest, PMI, etc. One reasons prices have been going up is that they can make cash offers over asking, and still easily turn a profit renting them, and their investors enjoy the long term appreciation.

Reactions: 7 users

Great to hear you have had an amazing time in the house. Stinks that somebody buying that today would be paying about 6k in mortage/mo.

S&P=4200 again

What now?

Pain.

I have a nightmare where S&P recurrently gaps down overnight but continues to make new weekly highs. That is why during these times I just boringly buy on down days to get a semblance of control rather than blindly buying at a scheduled time. Probably not the best but it allows me to be boring and not panic which overall is the worse action to take.

If these 9 companies which make up 30% of the S&P 500 index are not going up, where will the index go? 2 companies carrying a weight of 14% of the top 500 publicly traded companies is quite historic.

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 63
This is crazy.

u must live in a VLCOL area.
i have a 2b/2ba condo and i pay nearly $4000/month for my mortgage + escrow which is @ 2.8%

Yeah one of our travel nurses told me she pays $3500/mo rent for a furnished studio near the hospital.

im in the outer area of nyc and monthly pay is about 6000 $ for a 2 bed 2 bath mortgage. its a older building so its cheap

not surprised. taxes eat half of it... and if you got a costly 30 year mortgage, you wont be slowing down any time soon. got to pay the mortgage..
many of my colleagues household income is 7 figs, and they feel poor in their neighborhood. its probably because they are doctors. lot of people in neighborhood are techheads or business folks.

S&P=4200 again

What now?

Learn one stock exceptionally well, how it trades, how it responds, it's nuance, it's personality, and watch and study it every day, every hour of the day. Watch it. Set up a paper account and trade it daily. See how it reacts to market moves, to macro news, etc. After 6 months of doing this start learning several indicators. Master those indicators. Then start to apply them to your one stock, and study them for 6 months. You will see set-ups, points of entry and exit. You will be able to handle any kind of SPX/NASX perturbation. After doing this for about 3 years you will have a reliable source of compounding income. I did this for the past 3 years and it's a remarkable source of revenue.

Only master one stock, make it your second child, that's all you need.

Last edited:
Learn one stock exceptionally well, how it trades, how it responds, it's nuance, it's personality, and watch and study it every day, every hour of the day. Watch it. Set up a paper account and trade it daily. See how it reacts to market moves, to macro news, etc. After 6 months of doing this start learning several indicators. Master those indicators. Then start to apply them to your one stock, and study them for 6 months. You will see set-ups, points of entry and exit. You will be able to handle any kind of SPX/NASX perturbation. After doing this for about 3 years you will have a reliable source of compounding income. I did this for the past 3 years and it's a remarkable source of revenue.

Only master one stock, make it your second child, that's all you need.

You have a stock that you suggest? I would think a very volatile one would be good

You have a stock that you suggest? I would think a very volatile one would be good

Look at 9 or 14-day historic volatilities, 100d avg volumes, the ability to move $$ per timeframe all critical. I trade over $400K per trade. Don't get trapped. You need liquidity more than vol. Avoid fads. Use risk management.

Sign up for a stock screener and find what fits your vol/vol and sector/market cap preferences. It's critical to learn the business that the company is in and stay on top of it. Just an example, you're in $UNG, know everything about the nat gas industry and follow it weekly if not daily. 1 year at least to get a feel for the microecon forces at play to anticipate stock moves. It has to be a part of you. (I'm not in UNG).

Be a technical and macro trader. I always have one eye on my indicators, and the other on industry forces, daily.

Last edited:
Look at 9 or 14-day historic volatilities, 100d avg volumes, the ability to move $$ per timeframe all critical. I trade over $400K per trade. Don't get trapped. You need liquidity more than vol. Avoid fads. Use risk management.

Sign up for a stock screener and find what fits your vol/vol and sector/market cap preferences. It's critical to learn the business that the company is in and stay on top of it. Just an example, you're in $UNG, know everything about the nat gas industry and follow it weekly if not daily. 1 year at least to get a feel for the microecon forces at play to anticipate stock moves. It has to be a part of you. (I'm not in UNG).

Be a technical and macro trader. I always have one eye on my indicators, and the other on industry forces, daily.
Dude, this is really bad advice for the vast majority of people.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

Don’t forget to charge the crystals at midnight facing north when Elon Musk tweets and south when the fed raises interest rates.

Great to hear you have had an amazing time in the house. Stinks that somebody buying that today would be paying about 6k in mortage/mo.
Just have to buy within your means. My house turned into a neighborhood for billionaires (slight exaggeration... but not much. The new monster built up the street is list for 6m). But the neighborhood was very modest when I moved in. Homes built in the 50s roughly 2500 ft.

Dude, this is really bad advice for the vast majority of people.

Since most people don't have the time, patience, or discipline, yes then my way won't work. 95% of traders trade and unfortunately will not maintain positive returns. Go to a conference, find a successful mentor which is what I did it's very important.

If you're an investor and not a trader, I totally get it. Then none of this will make any sense.

Last edited:
Just have to buy within your means. My house turned into a neighborhood for billionaires (slight exaggeration... but not much. The new monster built up the street is list for 6m). But the neighborhood was very modest when I moved in. Homes built in the 50s roughly 2500 ft.
Ps- I also didn't own anything to mid 30s. And the amount I've spent in my lifetime on pretty nice cars is less than one new luxury car today that doctors run out to buy. Live within your means. We all make enough money.

live within your means not sure what that means when it comes to housing. Is that 1-2x gross income for what your housing budget should be?
So a couple say combined makes 500k ... their housing budget is 500-1m apparently that is somewhat conservative.
In my area this break down to a mortage with property taxes, mortage insurance etc all combined being roughtly:

Current rent for my 1400 sq ft condo = 2500

650k house = 4000/mo (3k sq feet)
850k house = 5500/ mo (3500 sq feet)
1m house = 6200/mo (4k sq feet but newish build 2019-2022)

What is nauseating to me is a 1m house if you were able to get a mortage rate of 2.7-2.8 for refinance you'd be paying $4800 so only 800 more than the 650k house now. Depressing.

Last edited:
live within your means not sure what that means when it comes to housing. Is that 1-2x gross income for what your housing budget should be?
So a couple say combined makes 500k ... their housing budget is 500-1m apparently that is somewhat conservative.
In my area this break down to a mortage with property taxes, mortage insurance etc all combined being roughtly:

What is nauseating to me is a 1m house if you were able to get a mortage rate of 2.7-2.8 for refinance you'd be paying $4800 so only 800 more than the 650k house now. Depressing.
1-2x is perfectly reasonable... even if you have a high income.

Since most people don't have the time, patience, or discipline, yes then my way won't work. 95% of traders trade and unfortunately will not maintain positive returns. Go to a conference, find a successful mentor which is what I did it's very important.

If you're an investor and not a trader, I totally get it. Then none of this will make any sense.
I'll bite even though I know it's futile--how long have you been a 'trader' operating at 6 figure trades?

Reactions: 2 users

Missing those low 15 and 30 year fixed rates has to be excruciating. I definitely can see your pain on that.

Tried doing this with futures and hit a wall. Made small profit but the amount of ROI with time and risk didn’t make sense in comparison to the guaranteed returns hourly for day job lol.

I’ll feel spicy sometimes and sell puts on SPY on down days near perceived support prices for the IV and theta decay. If things go south and I get assigned, no biggie.

Missing those low 15 and 30 year fixed rates has to be excruciating. I definitely can see your pain on that.
Yup. Dont want to be the guy paying the most ever for a 1m house in my area in the last 20 years. Even when rates were crazy house prices in midwest were a lot less back when you had 10 percent interest or whatever.

Ps- I also didn't own anything to mid 30s. And the amount I've spent in my lifetime on pretty nice cars is less than one new luxury car today that doctors run out to buy. Live within your means. We all make enough money.

within means is def different for different people. some people believe you have to save a percentage of your salary. others believe you have emergency fund of 6m, max 401k (20k a year), and you can freely spend the rest.

@finalpsychyear jealous of those #s. covid has been a rough time. housing prices skyrocketted here, plus rates skyrocketted. its a double knock out. condos here 1300 sq ft are around 1.3M+. your area looks pretty good to me hahha. dont even think about buying a house for 1x gross income. thats like impossible unless you want to drive pretty far. even at 2x gross i cant afford a 2 bedroom condo around here. its pretty common to do 3x, and ive seen 4x here

are you doing anesthesiology? if so how are you finding time to do this daily. its pretty difficult to understand a company well IMO. for example, im looking at banks, but im not a banker. i dont know what goes on in banks other than the stuff i read. but its like reading about medicine vs being there in person. i dont think i will ever understand banks as well as bankers who live it. a lot of processes are confusing to read. how do you put yourself at an advantage against thousands and thousands of people who live it?

or tech for example. i can read about how AI is hot and whatever, but im not a tech person, i dont do it. i dont know code, or the technology details behind. i couldnt tell you the difference between the 100 AI companies out there in terms of technology and which is superior. how do you put yourself infront of someone who works in tech and understands this

Is this a better use of our time compared to just working more clinical hours and putting that money into index funds? We shouldn’t mistake complexity with better. We are constantly trading money AND TIME for more money and time at the best exchange rates possible. And for many physicians in the right specialty/gig, we make a lot of money per hour.

Is this a better use of our time compared to just working more clinical hours and putting that money into index funds? We shouldn’t mistake complexity with better. We are constantly trading money AND TIME for more money and time at the best exchange rates possible. And for many physicians in the right specialty/gig, we make a lot of money per hour.
i think later on it does make sense. in the beginning it doesnt.

Non-trad. Before medicine I worked for an investment firm managing large pensions in a certain sector. Just adding my 2 cents here and there... feel free to take with a grain of salt.