Lecture set up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor713

Reaction score
I’m waitlisted for 2 schools this cycle but that was pretty expected as I decided on vet med my senior year of undergrad. Now that I have more time to look further into schools before applying again I was looking to reach out to current students on how lectures are set up. I went to the open house at Virginia Maryland last year and they said that the students stay in the same classroom all day and the professors rotate. Is this a common way of learning in vet school or do other schools have class time set up differently? Also it seems like many vet schools don’t do open houses anymore. Is there a way to learn more of the “inside” information rather than just what’s on the website?

Members don't see this ad.

I went on a little vet school road trip between cycles one year to see some of the schools I was interested in applying to, and if you're interested in seeing more than what's on the website I would definitely recommend looking into setting up visits.

In terms of how specific schools are set up I can comment on Virginia-Maryland (current 4th year), Tennessee, NC State, and Lincoln. Granted it's been a while since I was researching schools, but I have been to each of these and they all have a classroom for each year. My general understanding is that this is a pretty standard system.

Not sure how it is at other schools, but at VM third year has a little more movement because we aren't all taking the same classes anymore and since there's obviously some overlap in timing of classes, some of them are in places other than the third year classroom.

Reactions: 1 users
Uiuc you have one classroom and you stay there all day with the rest of your class and professors come in and out. There’s not really enough big lecture halls where you’d be able to move rooms throughout the day. That seems to be pretty common, especially in the earlier part of school. UIUC doesn’t do tracking so everyone is taking the same core courses first through third year. The only time you don’t have the same room as everyone else and sometimes have smaller rooms is for electives because you choose those yourself vs the set curriculum everyone takes and space is often limited for that reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts usually you stay in the same classroom for the full day but it can depend. Sometimes we have lectures after lunch in a different classroom. The whole class is taking the same core classes so it makes sense for the three large lecture halls on campus to be occupied for the day with each of the respective didactic years. If you are doing a combined program (ie MPH or Lab animal masters) you would have extra classes where you go to a separate classroom for other scheduled courses for those degrees.

Midwestern is the same. The whole class sits in the same lecture hall every day, professors rotate.

WSU is the same, we only move classrooms for labs or certain electives.