Ready? Set. Assassinate! - Assassination Classroom Themed WW - Sign Ups and Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh and I will also say... I think certain players (Zenge, Dubz, AM, shorty) can afford to not bus because they're just... really good, and have a tendency to be village read anyway. For sketch goblins, if it feels like you're having to build a case for why you're village in inches rather than miles, bussing can be a huge boost to your case. I have no statistics to back this up, but I suspect noob wolves tend to bus easier/earlier/more often than some veteran players because we have to work harder to prove we're village in the first place. Or for some veteran players, such as Cubs or genny who tend to get yoten early due to inherent sketch and an apparent RNG scum magnet, bussing can help to either save the remaining packmates or stave off the bloodlust for a bit.
At least, that is my opinion.
See as a sketch! villager, I like being lock!clear by voting a wolf. shorty and I also discussed this a lot from various tactical perspectives though (no bussing being more like a military fire team in hostile terrain ethos, bussing for cred being more an IC "if the enemy suspects you, the team needs to cut you off to preserve secrecy and we will not save you" ethos) and I have reasons why I think a hard line is good strategy for my play. Too sleepy to list now but I will later. Part of it is related to me being sketchy, part of it is other stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
(no bussing being more like a military fire team in hostile terrain ethos, bussing for cred being more an IC "if the enemy suspects you, the team needs to cut you off to preserve secrecy and we will not save you" ethos)
... did I use these terms?
I have no memory of this conversation if so

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then I think midway through my second game your logic clicked and I followed it up with the fire team

I feel like the only instances where I've really seen bussing save a pack and lead to a win were ones like this game where wolves were really screwed early (thinking of Pirates and Owwlympics), or like when you have a convert come in and bus the OGs.

Otherwise I've mostly seen it employed in situations where one wolf was under suspicion and instead of trying to save them or redirect things, other packmates just piled on. And that's predictable. For me, the trade off of losing a wolf has to be matched by the clearance you get by the bus. So I don't do it unless I don't have other options, because I've seen it fail so often anyway. I'd rather use the number advantage if I can.

I don't like, think people are lesser for bussing or anything. It just doesn't vibe with my playstyle in most games. I'm actually really good at getting my packmates killed when I've done it in the past :laugh: but those were situations where I did it with like, force. If I'm gonna bus I'm driving that thing 80mph off a cliff.

Reactions: 5 users
  • Care
Oh and I will also say... I think certain players (Zenge, Dubz, AM, shorty) can afford to not bus because they're just... really good, and have a tendency to be village read anyway. For sketch goblins, if it feels like you're having to build a case for why you're village in inches rather than miles, bussing can be a huge boost to your case. I have no statistics to back this up, but I suspect noob wolves tend to bus easier/earlier/more often than some veteran players because we have to work harder to prove we're village in the first place. Or for some veteran players, such as Cubs or genny who tend to get yoten early due to inherent sketch and an apparent RNG scum magnet, bussing can help to either save the remaining packmates or stave off the bloodlust for a bit.
Actually the thing that makes it most easy for me to avoid bussing is that I'm **** at finding wolves as a villager :laugh:

• Care
  • Hmm
I feel like the only instances where I've really seen bussing save a pack and lead to a win were ones like this game where wolves were really screwed early (thinking of Pirates and Owwlympics), or like when you have a convert come in and bus the OGs.

Otherwise I've mostly seen it employed in situations where one wolf was under suspicion and instead of trying to save them or redirect things, other packmates just piled on. And that's predictable. For me, the trade off of losing a wolf has to be matched by the clearance you get by the bus. So I don't do it unless I don't have other options, because I've seen it fail so often anyway. I'd rather use the number advantage if I can.

I don't like, think people are lesser for bussing or anything. It just doesn't vibe with my playstyle in most games. I'm actually really good at getting my packmates killed when I've done it in the past :laugh: but those were situations where I did it with like, force. If I'm gonna bus I'm driving that thing 80mph off a cliff.
Have you considered... Ineffective fakeclaiming because you don't want to face the fight of arguing why you're right?

• Hmm
  • Angry
I genuinely believe that it would be easier for me to get the village to misyeet a Seer clear than it would be for me, specifically, to push your misyeet.
Yeah but like, there's some WIFOM in doing that. Push whoever you want, just make it look good, and don't be afraid to do it when you're village. Because 1) you will eventually need to yeet Dubz as village to win (she will be wolf) and 2) if you push her when you're a wolf it looks less out of place.

Deciding that some players are off limits for misyeets and the low hanging misyeet fruit are all you're going to go for, will not win you games either as a wolf.

I will admit when I rand wolf, D1 I make up a list of who is tough to misyeet and who I expect will be easier just based on site meta. But that isn't good enough. There are good reasons (WIFOM) to sus some of the harder to misyeet people - so you don't look like your reads are just the people easiest to misyeet, for one. There are few good ways to wolf and win that involve just going along with whatever village wants and the village leaders. No matter your affiliation, you need to be willing swim against the stream. This is doubly true when you wolf.

To do otherwise, is to basically decide you're going to effectively concede the game to certain players whenever you are not the same Aff as them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just feel like it's a card you can play once, and then it's no longer a strong defense. People on here are extremely quick to point out when someone has been fine voting for a packmate.
It isn't a card you play once. What it means is that people cannot use VCA when you flip to clear or implicate anyone.

Consider, if people know that you will bus, then it means none of the villagers you attempted to misyeet by placing a vote on, can be cleared. And then if you did stay off your packmates, none of them can be said to be sus just because you didn't vote them. In fact, people might give one packmatet village points if you didn't vote them but you did vote another pack mate.

And, if you're village and not someone like AM that never votes a packmate, and you manage not to end up on any wolf yeets, you stand a chance as villager of not being misyeeted for it. I've seen the never bussers get misyeeted because no one believes they are village and weren't on any wolves.

It cuts both ways.

The fact that no one can accurately predict when I would or would not bus, has not just saved my bacon when I wolf. It has both helped and hurt my village game. But I'm OK with sometimes being misyeeted as a villager if it means that sometimes I win as a wolf. Who wants an assured loss?

I prefer the flexibility. And the fact that I am willing to bus, also means I can avoid being on any of my packmates in many scenarios and still not get yeeted for it. It might not get me village points as either affiliation, but as I said it actually gives me a little wiggle room no matter my affiliation no matter my voting record in a game.

Do I get misyeeted because people find it hard to interpret my behavior as either affiliation? Sure. But sometimes I live a lot longer as a wolf or a villager for that very same reason.

It's cool to have one's feelings and feelings are a big part of what the game is based on, like, play how you want. But there isn't one way to play. Which means that there isn't really any superiority to NEVER bussing or sometimes bussing. Although I will always argue that no matter your affiliation, flexibility in your thinking about the game can only ever help you.

You don't have to like bussing or subscribe to it, but for example here where you say it's a one card play, like, you're not considering what other players get out of it. And understanding that is still important even if YOU never become a busser, because your goal even as a never busser villager is still to correctly read other players, some of whom bus and some who don't. Understanding this mindset and the possible advantages is still important for understanding and predicting other players' play.

• Hmm
It isn't a card you play once. What it means is that people cannot use VCA when you flip to clear or implicate anyone.

Consider, if people know that you will bus, then it means none of the villagers you attempted to misyeet by placing a vote on, can be cleared. And then if you did stay off your packmates, none of them can be said to be sus just because you didn't vote them. In fact, people might give one packmatet village points if you didn't vote them but you did vote another pack mate.

And, if you're village and not someone like AM that never votes a packmate, and you manage not to end up on any wolf yeets, you stand a chance as villager of not being misyeeted for it. I've seen the never bussers get misyeeted because no one believes they are village and weren't on any wolves.

It cuts both ways.

The fact that no one can accurately predict when I would or would not bus, has not just saved my bacon when I wolf. It has both helped and hurt my village game. But I'm OK with sometimes being misyeeted as a villager if it means that sometimes I win as a wolf. Who wants an assured loss?

I prefer the flexibility. And the fact that I am willing to bus, also means I can avoid being on any of my packmates in many scenarios and still not get yeeted for it. It might not get me village points as either affiliation, but as I said it actually gives me a little wiggle room no matter my affiliation no matter my voting record in a game.

Do I get misyeeted because people find it hard to interpret my behavior as either affiliation? Sure. But sometimes I live a lot longer as a wolf or a villager for that very same reason.

It's cool to have one's feelings and feelings are a big part of what the game is based on, like, play how you want. But there isn't one way to play. Which means that there isn't really any superiority to NEVER bussing or sometimes bussing. Although I will always argue that no matter your affiliation, flexibility in your thinking about the game can only ever help you.

You don't have to like bussing or subscribe to it, but for example here where you say it's a one card play, like, you're not considering what other players get out of it. And understanding that is still important even if YOU never become a busser, because your goal even as a never busser villager is still to correctly read other players, some of whom bus and some who don't. Understanding this mindset and the possible advantages is still important for understanding and predicting other players' play.
I see your point but I also heavily disagree that avoiding bussing means you are assured a loss as a wolf. You just have to know how to work with your meta. If you know people are going to be cleared by you voting for them, you have to factor that into your votes (and get good at getting people to believe your pushes so that the people you vote for actually die). Stuff like that is why you kind of have to know how to powervillage if you're going to try to powerwolf.

Reactions: 3 users
I encourage everyone to bus and it doesn’t affect my reads. In fact, bussing is what makes WW even more challenging and exciting because we don’t have to rely on VCA to blindly clear people and have to instead rely on advanced WW strategies. So pls, bus away.

*runs away*
Lawpy I have never loved you more.

I definitely see the value in being a deepwolf, alternating between deepwolfing and powerwolfing, or just being somewhere in-between. I'm afraid it's just not a good fit for my own playstyle though. I tend to be suspected just for being alive lategame, so I like to have something to fall back on if things could be dicey (and also have insurance if I'm on the slightly less rare D1 wolf yeet).
I also can't remember the last time I agreed with AM more.

I would say more important than any given strategy philosophy, is to do TWO things. Do the thing that fits your play style best, and do what the situation calls for. In many games that may have you following a given strategy consistently. However the beauty of WW are situations where one needs to adapt.

In my opinion, bussing when a packmate is going down as a strategy? Sure. Not bussing because you think you can get away with it? Yeah.
For me, in the former situation of feeling like I can never clear myself even when I've voted for a wolf, the feeling has mostly diminished. It's been a few months since I've wolfed, and I think I've become a better villager/player in terms of vomiting village, which helps cover me. See this game, when I wasn't seriously under sus consideration despite never actually voting for fluff.
So because I tried, fruitlessly, to employ bussing as a strategy, I also had to modify my village play some to use other methods to convey village-ness aside from just voting wolves, because voting wolves is not enough (for me). For someone who doesn't use bussing, they might have more of a powerwolfing approach.
I think this is also one of the most balanced approaches to the topic. Packmate is going down, hop on, don't get yourself outted just to try to protect your village meta. I think it's silly to try to wolf in a way that protects your village meta. You are a wolf, not a villager. That's it. And, don't over rely on bussing. Simple as that. And, as a villager, don't over rely on VCA.

The beautiful lesson here, is to find other ways of proving yourself village, like by posts. This is great because VCA will always eventually fail you. Wolves have ways of confounding it, villagers will have off games and get misyoten just because of a bad record. I've seen multiple village games lost in fact due to an overreliance on VCA.

In games where VCA is is not helpful for correctly identifying Aff, post analysis can still catch wolves. Imho, there is almost not a single game where it was not possible to catch the scum by post analysis AND voting *behavior.* Which is not the exact same thing as VCA, by the way. I knew for certain Zenge was not benign neutral scum in 10th Ann from the way he lurked thread, handled the sus on wolves, AND the way he voted me out last second. This is the VCA analysis that is more complicated than just coloring in who's what. It's timing and the switches and those things in temporal relationship to what is being said on thread. I can feel it if I'm on thread or camping thread or paying attention live as the game unfolds. Otherwise forget it I can't do it. Other people can read and track it some other way and use it.

Anyway I'm going to play Stardew Valley, but I've ruminated on this concept a bunch. There seems to be an element of culture here that bussing is bad, or it's a lesser wolf strategy, or it's morally inferior to not bussing, and I don't agree with that. It's a tactic, like powerwolfing. It may not be a tactic everyone is willing to use, and that is totally fine! But it's not like if you vote for a packmate you're replacing holy water with battery acid.
It comes from AM. Bussing used to be much more common.

There is an article that says "Stop Bussing!" because on another site at another time it was overly used and then that is a problem.

This is true of any aspect of WW. If anyone does any given thing too much, from mods to players, some things can become too predictable and the game suffers for it.

I think you are a very insightful new player.

It's not exclusive with voting a packmate in general. It just comes down to context again. Like your partner's already in the POE and on the board (such as being mech outted) by the time you're even considering voting for them.
To be fair, this is probably the only time I do bus.

How many people do we have around here who votes and puts a packmate on the board before anyone else in the village really does anyway?

I see your point but I also heavily disagree that avoiding bussing means you are assured a loss as a wolf. You just have to know how to work with your meta. If you know people are going to be cleared by you voting for them, you have to factor that into your votes (and get good at getting people to believe your pushes so that the people you vote for actually die). Stuff like that is why you kind of have to know how to powervillage if you're going to try to powerwolf.
No, but didn't we agree that like this game, TN not placing a vote on Weagle gave the pack absolutely no chance of winning? And the only chance that existed required it?

That's what I mean by "refusing to bus" means assuring a wolf loss.

Sometimes wolves are going down, and if as a wolf you do not place a vote there, you are just giving up the game. I thought everyone agreed this is the case sometimes?

Reactions: 1 users
No, but didn't we agree that like this game, TN not placing a vote on Weagle gave the pack absolutely no chance of winning? And the only chance that existed required it?

That's what I mean by "refusing to bus" means assuring a wolf loss.

Sometimes wolves are going down, and if as a wolf you do not place a vote there, you are just giving up the game. I thought everyone agreed this is the case sometimes?
I think we're talking past each other. AM and I have both said there are specific cases where it has to be used. I am saying you don't have to hop on a packmate who is on the board (for non-mechanical reasons) to win in most games, and not doing so does not mean an automatic loss. In specific game situations, yes, it turns out that's what has to be done, and I've already talked about that. But you seemed to be referring to it meaning an automatic loss every time you wolf or something if you prefer not to bus. There are very, very few people here who have never and will never bus under any circumstances ever if we use the definition of simply placing a vote on a packmate. So that's what I was referring to - refusing to bus in all situations isn't really a thing, so I thought you were saying that working to avoid it is resigning yourself to an automatic loss, which certainly isn't the case.

Last edited:
To be fair, this is probably the only time I do bus.

How many people do we have around here who votes and puts a packmate on the board before anyone else in the village really does anyway?
Multiple. Deepwolfing is not a foreign concept to SDN.

Now you understand.

This is why we need more mechanics that **** with people's expectations, even if they're borderline bastard.
See I don't really like the idea of mechanically ****ing with the village just because they're doing a good job. Sure, make the mechanics more difficult to use to solve the game, use the site meta to inform your balance point, but I think we've seen that games cease to be fun for most people if they feel like they're playing well but getting screwed over by things totally beyond their control, and that goes both ways. From the mod perspective it is clear that players like to have agency, which is why bastard mechanics are called bastard. You can do it but I guarantee outside of games that are expected to function that way, people are going to get upset.

Reactions: 6 users
It comes from AM. Bussing used to be much more common.

There is an article that says "Stop Bussing!" because on another site at another time it was overly used and then that is a problem.

This is true of any aspect of WW. If anyone does any given thing too much, from mods to players, some things can become too predictable and the game suffers for it.
I strongly disagree it has anything to do with me. People bussed during my first game and they still bus now. People who deepwolf just get fewer to no passes for that because it's recognized as a strategic part of their meta versus a necessity (we've really cut down on the six trillion investigatives that were balanced against the 500 conversions required for village to have a chance).

If people want to emulate powerwolfing after watching me do it, more power to them. It's not like I'm saying they can't do other strategies if they'd rather not though.

I don't think powerwolfing has ever gotten predictable for me. There's always different mechanics, different players, and different skill levels to keep it interesting while also allowing to to learn something for future wolf games. It's a continual process of towards working to be a better powerwolf for me.

Honestly I wonder if as village I push you guys so hard so I can at least try for it as wolf....

But no, at least I don't have to purposefully try to handicap my village game in order to help my wolf game, because the paranoia is real.

But it does help my wolf game to at least have pushing certain players as part of my meta.

I think mechanics that lead to maximum paranoia could only help the play on this site. Wolves need misyeets to win. We need occasional wolf wins to keep things fun for both sides and keep everyone sharp. This means that no one as village should be safe from misyeet. If we need to shake up some game mechanics to do it, sobeit
No one is automatically safe from misyeet. You have to work for it every game. And it is enormously helpful to have that skill as a wolf too. Being able to stand up to that skill from the other side and get someone yeeted anyway is also a skill that can be learned, and you don't learn it when you have a mechanical crutch, you learn it by making pushes that make enough sense to other players to get them on your side, and by learning how to appear village yourself. So I disagree that relying on mechanics would make anyone's play stronger. I like mechanics, they're fun to play with and fun to design, but reliance on them doesn't ever make anyone a better player imo.

Unpopular opinion: mountainous games make better players.

And they’re sure as hell not village-sided, look at the champs balance. 20% wolves, and village only won a single one of the 8 qualifiers.

Take away the mechanical crutches entirely and it forces people to play better on both sides. Or roll over and die.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

And they’re sure as hell not village-sided, look at the champs balance. 20% wolves, and village only won a single one of the 8 qualifiers.

Take away the mechanical crutches entirely and it forces people to play better on both sides. Or roll over and die.
I have more thoughts on this that I’ll expand on once my semis game is over, but I can’t talk about it yet. So leaving this here as a reminder to future!me to follow up.

• Care

I'm sad how rarely we get to play them. All basics are such a treat.

I'm sad how rarely we get to play them. All basics are such a treat.
Well, you’re in luck since it looks like the next thing to run will likely be one of my games, and if it’s not PaWWsta, it’ll probably be mountainous. I’m feeling inspired.

• Love
Starts out?
It's a D&D game. Everyone starts out as a nobody with a crappy weapon, and ends the game as an epic adventurer.

Well... everyone who doesn't get killed by the monsters, of course.

Well, you’re in luck since it looks like the next thing to run will likely be one of my games, and if it’s not PaWWsta, it’ll probably be mountainous. I’m feeling inspired.
For all I know, PaWWsta is mountainous too, I have no idea what setup games that write themselves prefer to use :shrug:

• Haha
Also, as one of the players who never gets misyeeted over here, I really hate this idea that's been perpetuated this year by a few people that certain people just won't get considered for yeet votes no matter what, and that it's a popularity or name recognition or whatever thing. Someone being good at clearing themselves as village is a skill, and one that comes into play in every game. I don't think anyone who is a tough yeet on this site just coasts on "well, samac is a hard misyeet" or "well, shorty's never going to be misyeeted again," they work for it every single time they play. And you can see people improving in their ability to convey their villageyness - look at PSV's play this year for proof, she's leaps and bounds ahead of where she started out when it comes to clearing herself through her play, not necessarily through her votes. It's a learned skill.

(sorry, that's been bugging me for a while, and getting hardblocced in my qualifier as fast as I did confirmed for me what I already knew was the truth, but I needed to play on another site as village to prove it).

Also, as one of the players who never gets misyeeted over here, I really hate this idea that's been perpetuated this year by a few people that certain people just won't get considered for yeet votes no matter what, and that it's a popularity or name recognition or whatever thing. Someone being good at clearing themselves as village is a skill, and one that comes into play in every game. I don't think anyone who is a tough yeet on this site just coasts on "well, samac is a hard misyeet" or "well, shorty's never going to be misyeeted again," they work for it every single time they play. And you can see people improving in their ability to convey their villageyness - look at PSV's play this year for proof, she's leaps and bounds ahead of where she started out when it comes to clearing herself through her play, not necessarily through her votes. It's a learned skill.

(sorry, that's been bugging me for a while, and getting hardblocced in my qualifier as fast as I did confirmed for me what I already knew was the truth, but I needed to play on another site as village to prove it).
PSV's D1 reads have basically been gospel for the past several games. Just need to bully her into having the confidence to pursue them.

• Wow
PSV's D1 reads have basically been gospel for the past several games. Just need to bully her into having the confidence to pursue them.
But even that aside, she's had marked improvement in showing her thought processes and interacting with people in a way that makes them comfortable she's working toward the village wincon.

• Love
It's a D&D game. Everyone starts out as a nobody with a crappy weapon, and ends the game as an epic adventurer.

Well... everyone who doesn't get killed by the monsters, of course.
I know nothing about DND other than they have cool-shaped die. Definitely want to be careful if it's something like village getting increasingly stronger PRs just for surviving though. It can be extremely difficult for wolves to not get trapped into a loss that way (since whoever they kill will be the weakest PR).

AM, let's do a game together where it's based on our interpretations of games we know nothing about. It would be so fun.
You can't angleshoot if not even the mods know what the right answer is!

• Haha
I know nothing about DND other than they have cool-shaped die. Definitely want to be careful if it's something like village getting increasingly stronger PRs just for surviving though. It can be extremely difficult for wolves to not get trapped into a loss that way (since whoever they kill will be the weakest PR).
Don't worry AM, he's got Kaydubs (and me, but you know how I can be...) to make sure things are balanced :D

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users

Exactly. I've never been misyeeted on MU and also wasn't when I played on flushy's site. It's a skill as much as wolfhunting or pocketing people is.

• Love
Okay, typing didn't work so well. I always have an easier time expressing my thoughts by talking out loud. So, if you have a minute or so, I hope everyone will watch this simple explainer.

Okay I finally got a chance to watch this :laugh:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Corollary: I think people like me well enough (re; popular = less voting on player) and I've never played wolf, but I'm sussed hard for the first couple days of most games I pay and I've tried being more aggressively un-fun to vote for because of that. It's just tone. Like, one of the pieces of advice you gave me is that when you are typing you pause and think of what would sound village. Then I argued that "I'm village so everything I say is village and therefore sounds Village, people need to broaden their scope of what sounding village means" (-early stoat)

But like, I see the point now

• Hmm
Corollary: I think people like me well enough (re; popular = less voting on player) and I've never played wolf, but I'm sussed hard for the first couple days of most games I pay and I've tried being more aggressively un-fun to vote for because of that. It's just tone. Like, one of the pieces of advice you gave me is that when you are typing you pause and think of what would sound village. Then I argued that "I'm village so everything I say is village and therefore sounds Village, people need to broaden their scope of what sounding village means" (-early stoat)
Play pls

• Care