LECOM Erie Class of 2012 Thread!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The BRS is very good, HY, I dunno.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the 4th edition of Chung's Gross Anatomy, do you think I should get the latest edition? As far as the second book you recommended, I have Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy. Would you recommend I get the other one as well?

Since anatomy isn't going to change, you should probably be fine with what you have as long as it has the quizzes after each chapter. Those were more helpful than the actual text. I can't really comment on the Moore's u have, but I swear some of the questions used came from the Moore text, not to mention everything is just laid out logically, with nice tables for muscles, insertions, actions, and innervations, as well as clinical scenarios dispersed all over the text. Those are the areas that they'll test your knowledge on.

I have the 4th Edition Histology book from college, and was wondering if anyone has any idea if that will suffice or I should buy the 5th?

Members don't see this ad :)
I never bought a Histo book. The lecture powerpoints are perfect, and all you will need. In fact, when you get into systems, you can use those same powerpoints to brush-up on the system-specific histo stuff. Seriously, that's all you will need. Furthermore, the Histo course is only worth 1 credit hour. I took Histo in undergrad and it was much, much more in-depth than the course at LECOM. You won't need the book.

I never bought a Histo book. The lecture powerpoints are perfect, and all you will need. In fact, when you get into systems, you can use those same powerpoints to brush-up on the system-specific histo stuff. Seriously, that's all you will need. Furthermore, the Histo course is only worth 1 credit hour. I took Histo in undergrad and it was much, much more in-depth than the course at LECOM. You won't need the book.

I purchased the histo because just because they assigned us reading for week one. Otherwise, I already have a hand-me-down copy of another histo book that was previously used at LECOM and now I feel that was a waste of money. :shrug:

I'm PBL thats the only reason I felt i needed it. In college anytime I needed slides or anything to look at i was able to look everything up online when I took histo before. Thanx for responding i'm just gonna keep the edition I have.

Can anyone recommend a good D.O. PCP in the Erie area? Particularly one that specializes in doing a lot of manipulation. My poor back is all messed up from driving from Arizona to PA!

Thanks!

Dr. Ricci (There are 2 of them & they're both good). They are in the book.

Anyone Know what type of internet is the cheapest and yet effective? How about you current students, who has the best internet service in the Erie area?

Anyone living at Landmark Square this fall?

Anyone Know what type of internet is the cheapest and yet effective? How about you current students, who has the best internet service in the Erie area?

That's a good question. Now can we have a good answer? :p

I have the Time Warner combo deal; cable, internet, & phone. It's fine. You get free long distance and caller ID on the TV screen. I don't know how much it costs, my wife writes the checks & I sign them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how much it costs, my wife writes the checks & I sign them.

Amindwalker is going to have the same system when his nurses write scripts for controlled substances:laugh:;)

Yes Time Warner is probably the best for the area. Be sure to schedule an installation appointment early since they are very busy during the summer. However, before installation be sure to call and say you are thinking about switching to DirectTV because they are cheaper (I don't really know if that's true, I just said it to Time Warner:laugh:). Ask for the cheapest price possible and Time Warner will lower your monthly fee by about 15-20%. I discovered this first (since I love to negotiate) and everyone who I told to do it also got the same discount. They basically have a code on their computer to automatically lower your monthly bill for people who threaten to cancel because it is too expensive.

If you get standard digital cable and internet (not phone, since most people just use their cell phone), it will cost just over $100/month after all the fees. Because of my phone call, I pay about $80/month.

Amindwalker is going to have the same system when his nurses write scripts for controlled substances:laugh:;)

I shall prescribe Marinol for everything.

Hey MedicineMan99, how come you never told me about the Time Warner discount for miscreants? I think I would qualify.

hi everyone!
just checking that we are still all getting drinks/ dinner or whatever at fox and hound on july 25th. who is in?

also else anyone living in mill glen apartments???

hi everyone!
just checking that we are still all getting drinks/ dinner or whatever at fox and hound on july 25th. who is in?

also else anyone living in mill glen apartments???

:thumbup: I'm excited to meet the other first years!

What is a good bank to use in Erie?

Hey Guys,
So housing options seem to be pretty slim pickings for someone who just started looking, as expected. There are a good number of 1 persons available but I'd rather live with a room mate(s). So does anyone know someone looking for a room mate? Or have any tips on using the room mate list provided by erie cuz i am assuming most people on the list already found housing.

Which anatomy book are people gonna get? and what exactly is the dress code policy on shoes?

What is a good bank to use in Erie?

I was just in Erie yesterday and saw two PNC branches within mile or so of the school. I have used PNC for the last several years and have always been very happy with them.

I was just in Erie yesterday and saw two PNC branches within mile or so of the school. I have used PNC for the last several years and have always been very happy with them.

Does it matter if I took my loan out with another lender?

I'm getting my reading on and was wondering if anyone else had noticed that it said that chapter 45 was required reading for histology. It may be that my book is defective (sarcasm) but there is no chapter 45. I'm just gonna read chapters 4 and 5 hoping that was the error but if anyone has asked for a clarification from the school and got a response, I would appreciate the answer. I would do it myself but I think lecom is sick of receiving calls from me (I know I'm tired of calling there anyway). thanks :)

I'm getting my reading on and was wondering if anyone else had noticed that it said that chapter 45 was required reading for histology. It may be that my book is defective (sarcasm) but there is no chapter 45.

If you look at the orientation week schedule that has the day by day breakdown, it doesn't have anything about Chapter 4 in Histology. It just has Ch. 1-3 for Tuesday, and Ch. 5 and 11 for Thursday. I assumed that was a typo and we were just supposed to read 5 and then 11, otherwise they just would have put Ch 1-5 instead of breaking it up. But, I could be wrong, so I will have to give them a call this week. Anyone else have any suggestions?

If you look at the orientation week schedule that has the day by day breakdown, it doesn't have anything about Chapter 4 in Histology. It just has Ch. 1-3 for Tuesday, and Ch. 5 and 11 for Thursday. I assumed that was a typo and we were just supposed to read 5 and then 11, otherwise they just would have put Ch 1-5 instead of breaking it up. But, I could be wrong, so I will have to give them a call this week. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I think maybe the second part of histo on Tuesday is on ch.4? I would just read it to be safe. It's only like 6 pages anyway.

oh thanks so much guys. I didn't look at the day by day break down in depth... my bad. In other news, I purchased the five button up shirts you'll see me wearing for the next two years today... oh yeah. :)

Are there any current ISP students that can provide their opinions/thoughts/pros/cons/any other information about the pathway? Thanks!

oh thanks so much guys. I didn't look at the day by day break down in depth... my bad. In other news, I purchased the five button up shirts you'll see me wearing for the next two years today... oh yeah. :)

haha that's what i'll be doing... each day gets its own shirt!

I was ISP throughout the first year, but have transferred into PCSP (now class of 2010). ISP is designed to force you into being a book learner. At all of the other schools where I interviewed, class attendance was optional. Every lecture, all of the powerpoint slides, and any/all study notes were made available to the students on the server. I thought that ISP at LECOM would be like that, where we would be given all of the material needed to succeed. I thought it would be just like LDP except we would not have to go to class. THAT IS NOT THE CASE BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!!

You are given a module (booklet) which has between 150 & 500 questions in it. You then have to dig through the textbook to find all the answers and then use those answers as a study guide. If you do that by yourself, it will take you a good week to ten days just to complete the module. This leaves you only a few days to study for the exam. For most ISP courses, you will have only one exam, and the score that you get on that exam = your final grade. The real problem is when the exam is written by someone who did not write the module. Be advised, when you take general pathology, ignore the module & just study Dr. Raymond's powerpoints.

During the 1st 3 months of school (when we were all in Anatomy, Histo, Embryo together) I was consistently in the top 10-11% of my class. When ISP started, my grades took a dive. I learn best by making and studying note cards. The powerpoint slides make perfect cards, so I did very well until ISP started. The poeple who were book learners struggled through the 1st 3 months, but when ISP started, they began to shine.

I am an excellent self-starter, and I excell at directed study (did a bunch in college), but the way ISP is done here, is not how I thought it would be. This is not a complaint at all. ISP works great for some people who might have struggled through LDP ('cuz they're book learners), as well as the young, single kids with no other responsabilities and a stash of Adderall. Bottom line, if you learn BEST by reading the textbook, ISP is for you, and you will love it. If you are a note card learner, you will find it difficult but not impossible.

I was ISP throughout the first year, but have transferred into PCSP (now class of 2010). ISP is designed to force you into being a book learner. At all of the other schools where I interviewed, class attendance was optional. Every lecture, all of the powerpoint slides, and any/all study notes were made available to the students on the server. I thought that ISP at LECOM would be like that, where we would be given all of the material needed to succeed. I thought it would be just like LDP except we would not have to go to class. THAT IS NOT THE CASE BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION!!!

You are given a module (booklet) which has between 150 & 500 questions in it. You then have to dig through the textbook to find all the answers and then use those answers as a study guide. If you do that by yourself, it will take you a good week to ten days just to complete the module. This leaves you only a few days to study for the exam. For most ISP courses, you will have only one exam, and the score that you get on that exam = your final grade. The real problem is when the exam is written by someone who did not write the module. Be advised, when you take general pathology, ignore the module & just study Dr. Raymond's powerpoints.

During the 1st 3 months of school (when we were all in Anatomy, Histo, Embryo together) I was consistently in the top 10-11% of my class. When ISP started, my grades took a dive. I learn best by making and studying note cards. The powerpoint slides make perfect cards, so I did very well until ISP started. The poeple who were book learners struggled through the 1st 3 months, but when ISP started, they began to shine.

I am an excellent self-starter, and I excell at directed study (did a bunch in college), but the way ISP is done here, is not how I thought it would be. This is not a complaint at all. ISP works great for some people who might have struggled through LDP ('cuz they're book learners), as well as the young, single kids with no other responsabilities and a stash of Adderall. Bottom line, if you learn BEST by reading the textbook, ISP is for you, and you will love it. If you are a note card learner, you will find it difficult but not impossible.

:soexcited:

I just wanted to say a few things so as not to scare off any ISPers.

I am in ISP and never read over a page of any textbook. As amindwalker said, it does take time to finish the modules and gain answers to the objectives. However if you make this a team effort you can get this done very quickly. Sometimes they are even available from people who have done them in previous years. Then all I do is ditch the text and simply memorize all the objectives' answers. I have found success using this method, but that method does not work for everyone.

There are many people who need to read all assigned text to gain understanding. ISP will still be good for you, you just may be more pressed for time. However I will still argue that people in ISP have more time, overall, free than any other pathway. Although of course for ISP most weeks you are on campus at least 3 times (on different days) and sometimes 5. So don't think that with ISP you just sit and home and only show up to take exams.

Don't be scared by ISP. It is not for everyone but for me I could not possibly stand LDP or PBL. Even if you don't think you want ISP anymore, wait until the first 10 weeks of school are over until you make your final decision. It's never too late to enter LDP.

Good luck.

MedicineMan99, you are a powerful and attractive man. How's your summer internship at the Heffner mansion going?

HEY GUYS,
ok i did the post bacc program 2 years ago and i used pnc bank. they are all over erie. it seemed to be the best choice. where are you all getting your loans from? discover, chase, pnc or citibank? i have no idea what the best choice is. thanks!
CANT WAIT TIL FOX AND HOUND ON THE 25TH!

I picked Discover. Word of advice regarding Fox & Hound; Have someone wearing a LECOM t-shirt standing outside to act as a liaison between your new classmates who are inside and those who are arriving. This may sound silly, but for the most part, you will not know/recognize each other, and some people are timid and might wait outside for a while and then leave. Also, binge responsibly! A DUI will get you dismissed, zero tolerance. Hi Harry, I know you are reading this, Semper Fi!

so i got this packet from lecom with some tips and info about the class of 2011 and it talks about lecom classifieds. do we have access to this site or will we get it later? lol i'm in need of a twin bed and am crossing my finger that someone wants to get rid of one for a good price. otherwise, i'm going for an air mattress bc i'm so cool :cool:

so i got this packet from lecom with some tips and info about the class of 2011 and it talks about lecom classifieds. do we have access to this site or will we get it later? lol i'm in need of a twin bed and am crossing my finger that someone wants to get rid of one for a good price. otherwise, i'm going for an air mattress bc i'm so cool :cool:

my.lecom.edu > College of medicine > Current students > Forums and notes > LECOM student classifieds

HEY GUYS,
ok i did the post bacc program 2 years ago and i used pnc bank. they are all over erie. it seemed to be the best choice. where are you all getting your loans from? discover, chase, pnc or citibank? i have no idea what the best choice is. thanks!
CANT WAIT TIL FOX AND HOUND ON THE 25TH!

star220, did you do postbac 06-07?

so if you are pbl, you will quickly find out that the hardest part about the pathway is figuring out what to study. you test over 600-800 pages and the questions can come from anywhere within those pages. it can be overwhelming to try and figure out what you need to study at first, so let me give you some tips.

first, there are no shortcuts. you have to read everything assigned as many times as possible. i thought this was impossible at first. i thought i had to take notes or make flashcards or something to be able to distill the information down to what i actually needed to know. the best and worst part of pbl is that you have to know everything. there is no way to really narrow it down, and you really don't have time to take notes anyway. if you want to do well, read all the chapters as many times as you can.

second, for every textbook you have, try to find a review book written by the people who wrote the textbook. the physiology and pathology review books are especially helpful. if the library doesn't have one, then look online. the questions in those books can be excellent preparation for the exams.

third, buy your board review books NOW. i've used a lot of the BRS series and it really helps to point out the important connections between stuff in pbl. remember, you don't have a professor to walk you through stuff, so board review books can help show you the big picture.

let me say again, you don't really have time to take notes. i spent most of my first year trying to figure out how to take effective notes. when i stopped trying and just read things over and over i understood everything better and actually had more free time than before. plus my test grades jumped about 10%.
i'm sure not everybody studies the same way i do, and if you find something that works better for you, then do it, but i just wanted to share what worked for me.
if you have any questions just ask.

I picked Discover.

I also picked discover. They had a 0% origination fee. I think I will bank with PNC based on what I have have read.

I had a question about the computer configuration session. Will they set up the LECOM email account using outlook. I was wanting to use outlook to set up a calender/planner so I can stay organized. I already have a few events that I need to note down, so I want to set up outlook as soon as possible. However, I don't want to waste time setting it up if they are going to do it or have specific programs/criteria that they use. Any suggestions or ideas?

For anyone who was curious, i spoke with the lady in the bookstore a couple of days ago and was informed that the book list for LDP was not finished yet. So I guess we'll have to wait to buy the books.

Also, has anyone started their reading yet?

Lastly, does anyone know when construction of the new facility will be completed?

Last edited:
Lastly, does anyone know when construction of the new facility will be completed?

According to the website it says towards the end of 2008. So, I am guessing November or December.

While we're waiting for the new facility to be completed does anyone have any suggestions on a cheap, clean gym to use in the meantime?

Do you guys have any information about t-mobile's cell phone coverage in Erie? I looked up the provider's website and read some reviews. From this, I got the impression that the coverage is not great. Do any of you have first hand experience that supports or contradicts this impression? Any advice you can give is very much appreciated.

Do you guys have any information about t-mobile's cell phone coverage in Erie? I looked up the provider's website and read some reviews. From this, I got the impression that the coverage is not great. Do any of you have first hand experience that supports or contradicts this impression? Any advice you can give is very much appreciated.

I use T-Mobile in Erie and have never had any problems. I have sometimes found those coverage maps on the T-Mobile website to be misleading. Just remember that no matter what carrier you use, you will have trouble getting a signal inside LECOM.

Does anyone know if I can use my Mac or do I really have to purchase a PC? Thanks.

Does anyone know if I can use my Mac or do I really have to purchase a PC? Thanks.
I'm going to be using my Mac, I would hate to be forced to use a PC. Those things give me a headache.

I asked when i was there setting up my PC, b/c i also have a mac and was told that it was usable. I was also warned however that a lot of their support system is not set up for mac. You can call the tech guys at the school, they were really nice.